Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
138 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Cutting Down Crime
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
Are you okay with your taxes increasing? I'm all for putting more cops on the streets, but where is the money supposed to come from? Us homeowners? Did you read where the stimulus money is going? Not police.

You pay taxes and you get services. Those services cost money. If you don't like the way the taxes are being allocated, then vote someone new in office, but don't gripe with one breath about paying taxes and then a moment later turn around and talk poor services. If you want a smaller tax bill, buy a less valuable property.

Our tax money can only go so far, but that stimulus money sure could help pay for more police. Too bad I can't take my vote back from the guy who allocated this money:
"The Jersey City Housing Authority, which manages 2,300 housing units and has 250 employees, is in line to receive $7.8 million - the most of any housing authority in the county.
The stimulus package will pump another $5.5 million into the region for emergency shelter and homelessness prevention.
Another $3.5 million out of the overall $29 million coming to the county will arrive in the form of community development block grants."

Posted on: 2009/3/7 23:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
Are you okay with your taxes increasing? I'm all for putting more cops on the streets, but where is the money supposed to come from? Us homeowners? Did you read where the stimulus money is going? Not police.

You pay taxes and you get services. Those services cost money. If you don't like the way the taxes are being allocated, then vote someone new in office, but don't gripe with one breath about paying taxes and then a moment later turn around and talk poor services. If you want a smaller tax bill, buy a less valuable property.

Posted on: 2009/3/7 19:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/28 23:23
Group:
Registered Users
It's looking like another case of pick your poison for the mayoral race - what else is new in JC.

Crime's still an issue, I don't think there are any arguments there - it's plain insulting to be told otherwise. Taxes are higher than the skyscrapers being built downtown. Abatements have been an ongoing issue with this administration. Educational options are still a huge disincentive for families thinking of moving here, a condition that hasn't changed in the last 20-30 years, but certainly should've been improved by the 'gold coast' boom. Transportation infrastructure is a mess - with PATH trains overwhelmed by the masses who commute to NYC (hoodwinked by the ongoing construction boom), and citizens find city departments abusing their mandate - recent animal control issue, the FBI investigation into the building inspector taking bribes, the deputy mayor who married folks for an 'additional' fee, etc. etc.

The fellow I would've voted for decided against running; election times make for strange bedfellows. Healy was canny enough to hitch his wagon to Obama; well I hope change is coming to JC, too...

Posted on: 2009/3/7 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
so, is the answer for cutting down crime never to make people responsible for their actions? accept responsibility? take pride in their community? make parents responsible for their kids?

i'm sorry, i didn't realize the pols of the area were responsible for failed parenting

Posted on: 2009/3/6 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The best way to 'Cutting down Crime' is to get rid of Healy and all the cronies he has put in place to combat it.

We should be demanding a national search for our next Police Chief and Court Judges, not just who's next in line for the job - which has only given Healy more drinking buddies and corrupt or useless officials.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 22:28
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/12 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
More Cops no matter what they ride or drive is better than nothing...Jersey City is fortunate in the fact the they have NYC next door which does pretty much everything better and before JC does, all they have to do is what NYC does and they will be fine. Giuliani increased cops and crime dropped. It's very simple increase police presence and crime drops. We just need a Mayor who will do it and not feed us BS numbers. The people who claim that it will become a police state are clueless and should go live on a hippie farm in Iowa and wait for the end to come.. I would prefer a police state to the wild west mentality and the lack of security that we have now.

"He who would sacrifice liberty for security deserves neither"

Benjamin Franklin

Posted on: 2009/3/6 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
in my opinion, as i've said before, as long as people continue to move to JC, build condos and apt. complexes and business continues to boom in JC because of it's close proximity to NYC, the crime problem will never be fixed. people obviously don't care much about the crime if they're continually moving into JC/investing here. the almighty dollar/NYC access trumps the crime problem in JC........why else would all of you live here?

"yeah, there's crime, but it's soooooo close to NYC".....

because of this, the city's money will continue to be spent on things other than crime fighting.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 9:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
More Cops no matter what they ride or drive is better than nothing...Jersey City is fortunate in the fact the they have NYC next door which does pretty much everything better and before JC does, all they have to do is what NYC does and they will be fine. Giuliani increased cops and crime dropped. It's very simple increase police presence and crime drops. We just need a Mayor who will do it and not feed us BS numbers. The people who claim that it will become a police state are clueless and should go live on a hippie farm in Iowa and wait for the end to come.. I would prefer a police state to the wild west mentality and the lack of security that we have now.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 4:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
Our current Mayor had his chance and Failed on Crime!

It is great to see the citizens of Jersey City rise up against crime. This cannot be a one time City Wide Public Safety Rally. We must have more across Jersey City. Our elected officials along with the Police Chief must be held ACCOUNTABLE.

In addition us as citizens of Jersey City must get involved to help the police. Now Healy says he promises to increase police on the street, typical campaign rhetoric, what about they years Healy has been in office.

Why was there not more police put on the streets, why was he not addressing the crime issue, hell, he would not even admit there was a gang problem, saying in the newspaper, Jersey City did not have gangs running around, no less even admitting there was a crime problem.

All he would do is give statistics. He did not have to address the crime issues because he has the Mayor's job already. What are we getting now, a campaign promise that will end up being broken if he is re-elected. When the Mayor jeopardizes public safety he is not fit to run the city.

I don't want to hear it about budget problems, ect, and we can't hire more police. The number one concern must be public safety for a city to flourish, that being said you find the money to hire more police, you appoint a police chief that knows how to motivate, deploy, utilize his police force, along with implementing strategies to successfully fight crime.

Healy has had the privilege of being our Mayor and failed us on the crime issue. He can throw out all the statistics he wants, people do not feel safe period. It is time to take that privilege away from Healy.

No matter who is elected, we must hold them Accountable on the crime issue. If they are not getting the job done rallys must be continued to be held until they get the message and get the job done.

The Mayor works for us!

Posted on: 2009/3/6 4:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/3/6 3:07

Cutting Down Crime

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/9 2:43
Group:
Banned
Here?s my theory in cutting down crime in the city. The more cops you have on post should all have quick access to vehicles so that they could converge to the location much faster as oppose to responding on foot in order to protect the public safety and to arrest the actor or actors while they are still in the act or still within the vicinity. I believe that Quick Response Time (QRT) is the Key Factor in Fighting Crime in Jersey City. The more police vehicles on patrol will actually do the job. Police on foot patrol is great if the crime is taken place right where they are but most of the time that is not the case.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 2:48

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017