Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
171 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 171

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Ghostly encounters in Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
my grandmother's old house in prospect st. was haunted as hell. you could hear someone pacing back and forth upstairs when nobody was home. the fact that they had a church organ with the 3 rows of keys in the living room didn't make it any less creepy. when my grandmother died and the place was renovated, the new owners have claimed to hear nothing of the sort. very weird.

also, i had relatives who lived in a house on academy and baldwin. i hear that place was very haunted as well.

Posted on: 2009/3/8 6:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, I'm really loving this thread...

Posted on: 2009/3/8 2:23
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/8 12:45
Group:
Registered Users
I used to work at the Lighthorse and several servers, including myself, have seen odd things in the back room.

Posted on: 2009/3/7 15:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/27 17:14
Group:
Registered Users
I was eating in the Light horse tavern and thought I saw something out of the corner of my eye 3 or 4 times. After minimal research, and some coaxing, I found out that the Light horse was built on an old cemetery! The graves were not moved when they built it, nor was there a blessing of any kind. Although it's never been an uncomfortable situation to dine there, it was enough to raise my curiosity enough to dig a bit deeper. (pardon the pun) Who was buried there? JC forefathers? Any insight would be great.

It is located at:

LIGHT HORSE TAVERN
199 Washington St., Jersey City, NJ 07302

J

Posted on: 2009/3/7 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
The strangest story I ever heard regarding ghost is from one of my friends that has seen a ghost that looks exactly like him a few times in his house on Columbia ave in the Heights. He claims the ghost looks like a real person and not see through like in the movies. That is just creepy to me.

That is so weird. In my house there is a ghost that looks exactly like me! And it looks like a real person, too. I see him every morning when I shave. He also follows me to work and he see him in the men's room when I wash my hands. He mimics my every move! Fortunately he is a handsome ghost, so I am not frightened.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alek8 wrote:
I heard of some stories about the Medical Center, too.

They had closed off some of the top floors in the main building throughout the years. I took a tour through a couple of them in the early-90s. It had that creepy abandoned sanitarium look... rusty gurneys, old files scattered on the floor, peeling paint, the works. These areas were otherwise off limits, locked to the stairway and inaccessible via elevator.
Well the story is: People that worked in offices located under the lowest closed off floor would report hearing lots of shuffling, furniture moving on the floor above, especially after hours.

I would love to hear stories from the guys that used to work security or the dudes that had to crawl throughout all parts of the buildings patching their ancient electrical and heating systems. I bet they had some awesome tales.

Actually I wouldn't mind taking on a month to month lease.

Ha-ha, I live there, no ghosts. I also don?t believe in them, I do however believe in people who believe in ghosts.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

justin wrote:
Personally, far too many to count or repeat:o) I?ve heard some stories about the old County jail which was near Five Corners, but I never had the pleasure of spending any time there, myself. The most notorious would have to be the Medical Center (now the Beacon). You couldn?t pay me to live there?.I still have nightmares about that place?.

Those are the two places I have heard of being haunted the most in Jersey City.

Back when I was a student at Dickinson HS there were always stories that the unused tunnels that go under the basement were haunted. A few people have reported strange sounds and have had some sightings in the tunnels. Im not sure what the tunnels were for I always thought it might be an old bomb shelters for the HS.

The strangest story I ever heard regarding ghost is from one of my friends that has seen a ghost that looks exactly like him a few times in his house on Columbia ave in the Heights. He claims the ghost looks like a real person and not see through like in the movies. That is just creepy to me.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 2:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/12 12:49
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I seen my grandfather in my parents bedroom a few days after he died. I lived off of West Side Ave back then.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I have never encountered a ghost. Probably because, contrary to my screen name, I am not a lunatic.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
As a kid growing up in the Hilltop area, it was rumored that the St. Joseph's Church steeple was haunted. A dim light would glow in the steeple on some nights.

The old Hudson County Jail on Pavonia Avenue (demolished) was so haunted that demolition crews refused to venture into the facility alone. A fire had killed inmates on the top floor in the old jail in the early 1980's and supposedly two construction workers came face to face with one of the fire victims. It was also one of two sites where criminals were hanged in the 1800's. The other was on Academy Street.

I remember that about the jail. One big, burly construction worker saw an old man who asked, " Why are you knocking down my home"? The construction worker was so scared he climbed down the exterior of the building from the fourth floor.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
My old apartment was seriously haunted. Several different people saw a dark shadowy figure of an old woman in one of the bedrooms, and then one evening she opened the door to my roommate's bedroom. We literally ran out onto Kennedy Blvd in our PJs at two in the morning. A lot of weird stuff happened there.

And I've heard the bartenders in the Park Tavern say that they've seen ghosts in there, or maybe it's just a little too much Guinness.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 19:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/26 17:52
From the best stuff on earth
Group:
Registered Users
I heard of some stories about the Medical Center, too.

They had closed off some of the top floors in the main building throughout the years. I took a tour through a couple of them in the early-90s. It had that creepy abandoned sanitarium look... rusty gurneys, old files scattered on the floor, peeling paint, the works. These areas were otherwise off limits, locked to the stairway and inaccessible via elevator.
Well the story is: People that worked in offices located under the lowest closed off floor would report hearing lots of shuffling, furniture moving on the floor above, especially after hours.

I would love to hear stories from the guys that used to work security or the dudes that had to crawl throughout all parts of the buildings patching their ancient electrical and heating systems. I bet they had some awesome tales.

Actually I wouldn't mind taking on a month to month lease.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 17:03
My signature will be a funny quote and/or observation.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/8 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
I'm working on a walking Jersey City Ghost Tour for when the weather gets warmer. It will probably be on Wednesday or Thursday nights and Saturday afternoons.

The McGinley Square area/Journal Square area has a lot of activity around it. The Eyes of St. Joe's are kind of famous.

I'm looking for personal paranormal experiences people have had in Jersey City to include on my tour, so email me if you'd like to share it melissa.surach at gmail.com.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 16:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/20 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
Personally, far too many to count or repeat:o) I?ve heard some stories about the old County jail which was near Five Corners, but I never had the pleasure of spending any time there, myself. The most notorious would have to be the Medical Center (now the Beacon). You couldn?t pay me to live there?.I still have nightmares about that place?.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/2/19 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
A few years ago I had a job with a company that was at 66 Laidlaw St in the Heights. There were 2 ghosts in the building one on the 4th floor and at least one on the third floor. The company owner had a cat that hung around the 4th floor where I and my assistant had our offices, whenever the cat started to whine we knew one of the ghosts was near us. My assistant wound never go onto the third floor alone.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
As a kid growing up in the Hilltop area, it was rumored that the St. Joseph's Church steeple was haunted. A dim light would glow in the steeple on some nights.

The old Hudson County Jail on Pavonia Avenue (demolished) was so haunted that demolition crews refused to venture into the facility alone. A fire had killed inmates on the top floor in the old jail in the early 1980's and supposedly two construction workers came face to face with one of the fire victims. It was also one of two sites where criminals were hanged in the 1800's. The other was on Academy Street.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 5:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Details....

I told them I wouldn't talk about it.

Believe.

LOL....

Posted on: 2009/2/19 4:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
The only strange thing I've encountered involved my dog and one particular room in a friends brownstone in Hamilton Park.
My dog loves this couple who owns two homes in HP...they had just moved from one to the other and my dog got the tour of the house. She was flying up and down the stairs going into each room but when she went into the main parlor her hackles went up and she walked the length of the room against the wall. She refused to come into the center of the room. We were cracking up thinking the dog was just retarded but this continued each time she went there. Even with the room fully furnished she refuses to stay in that room. If we are watching TV in that room she would lay down against the wall but will never go to the center of it.

We come to find out the former owner who is dear friends with the current owners had similar experience with her dog and that exact room.... weird!

Posted on: 2009/2/19 3:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/26 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
I am pretty sure I saw a ghost in Hoboken once and was just thinking about it as I am watching that silly show ghost hunters which I'm addicted too!

Posted on: 2009/2/19 3:46

Ghostly encounters in Jersey City?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/26 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone ever had any ghostly or creepy encounters in Jersey City?

Posted on: 2009/2/19 3:30

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017