Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
86 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Any opinions on this area?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/13 11:36
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/10/24 12:26

Re: Looking for thoughts and opinions on Princeton St and Winfield Ave.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Attention shoppers:

Great deals at ACME right now. All of the frozen stuff and many other items are 33% off. I bought $144.00 worth of groceries and only had to pay $80.00. They might discount even more as they get closer to closing.

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
ACME closing its doors in Jersey City

By Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal
January 07, 2010, 4:51PM

ACME supermarket on Garfield Avenue at the border of Jersey City and Bayonne is being sold and will close Feb. 6.Jersey City and Bayonne will lose the ACME supermarket that straddles on the border of the municipalities.

But a grocery store will still occupy the Garfield Avenue location.

Gail Street, director of communications for ACME, said the store is being sold to an independent owner and operator.

ACME will close its doors at the location Feb. 6.

Street said employees will be given a choice of other ACME stores they can work in.
Employees were notified of the closing today.

Street said she could not disclose the name of the future owner at this time.

She said the store is the only one in the state being sold.

?We do regular checkups of our organization to see what?s viable and what?s the most viable for our business,? she said. ?This is just a regular survey of our inventory.?

She said the slow market and several other factors contributed to the company?s decision to close the Jersey City location.

Signs alerting customers of the closing will be displayed in the store, she said.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 1:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/23 2:17
Group:
Registered Users
I think Columbia Park on Old Bergen Road between Winfield Avenue and Bartholdi Avenue is the closest park to Princeton and Winfield Avenues and the Pearsall Branch Library is the closest library.

The Central Avenue IBOA once served Princeton Avenue and Red And Tan In Hudson County #3 once served Garfield. Today it's Ocean Avenue for buses (#4, #6, #81).

Posted on: 2010/1/23 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
ACME closing its doors in Jersey City

By Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal
January 07, 2010, 4:51PM

ACME supermarket on Garfield Avenue at the border of Jersey City and Bayonne is being sold and will close Feb. 6.Jersey City and Bayonne will lose the ACME supermarket that straddles on the border of the municipalities.

But a grocery store will still occupy the Garfield Avenue location.

Gail Street, director of communications for ACME, said the store is being sold to an independent owner and operator.

ACME will close its doors at the location Feb. 6.

Street said employees will be given a choice of other ACME stores they can work in.
Employees were notified of the closing today.

Street said she could not disclose the name of the future owner at this time.

She said the store is the only one in the state being sold.

?We do regular checkups of our organization to see what?s viable and what?s the most viable for our business,? she said. ?This is just a regular survey of our inventory.?

She said the slow market and several other factors contributed to the company?s decision to close the Jersey City location.

Signs alerting customers of the closing will be displayed in the store, she said.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 5:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

View Larger Map How's that Bowling Alley over there? Anyone go much? There is a big article in today's New York Times on Bowling Alleys and their small role in changing areas... ================================ True Economic Barometer? How About Bowling New York Times By N. R. KLEINFIELD Published: January 4, 2010 As New York struggles to resurrect its economy, it needs powerful new engines of growth. Wall Street may look sturdier, but it will never be the old Wall Street again, when $10 routinely became $1 million during your lunch break. Another eruption in real estate prices? Dubious. The new sports stadiums? Not going to get us there. At Leisure Time Bowl in Midtown, a bouncer turns away customers whose jeans are too baggy or gold chains too showy. There must be an answer. There is. Bowling alleys. Been over to the Port Authority Bus Terminal for anything other than a bus? Gone to the second floor, next to Gate 230? Noticed the velvet ropes staffed by a black-suited bouncer, earpiece nuzzling his ear? Why is he there? To select the appropriate customers to bowl at the overhauled Leisure Time Bowl. Yes, there is a dress code at the bowling alley. ?We don?t allow those real large jeans that almost fall off your hips,? said Ayman Kamel, the executive general manager there. ?Or those bandannas that represent gangs. None of those big visual gold chains.? How about a bowling shirt? ?Well, as long as it?s a fine-looking shirt,? he said. By month?s end, the place will be renamed Frames, and it will open a swank restaurant and V.I.P. lanes (two private lanes with bar), followed by a nightclub later in the year. The entrance will be on Ninth Avenue since the Port Authority is, well, the Port Authority. Farther down the block, at 42nd and 12th Avenue, is Lucky Strike Lanes, another upscale alley that opened late in 2008 and is an offshoot of a chain that began in Hollywood. Alleys in other boroughs may follow. In Greenwich Village, there is Bowlmor Lanes, a front-runner among the contemporized alleys that was restyled under new ownership in 1997. Three months ago it opened a companion Coney Island games-and-burlesque club called Carnival. In October, a 90,000-square-foot Bowlmor alley is set to open as the largest retail tenant in the former New York Times building on West 43rd Street. It will cost over $20 million. In 2007, a comforter factory in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, became the Gutter bar, with a retro eight-lane alley, the first new one to open in Brooklyn in half a century. Brooklyn Bowl, a combination music club/bowling alley fashioned out of an old iron foundry, followed in Williamsburg last summer. Harlem Lanes arrived in 2006 on West 126th Street, the first bowling alley in Harlem since the Lenox Lanes vanished in the 1980s. These join the more established 300 New York alley at Chelsea Piers. O.K., maybe this trend isn?t big enough to lift the entire city, but it?s something. These are not the beer-belly bowling alleys of yesteryear, but souped-up, hipster alleys often interwoven with restaurants, V.I.P. lounges, clubs, sports bars. Dark lighting. D.J.?s and thundering music. Videos dancing over flat-screen televisions above the pins. Waiter service. Dress codes. Coolness. The bowling is often a way to kill time between drink orders. The alleys rely heavily on corporate and private parties. Some customers never bother to bowl. Meanwhile, conventional alleys continue to close. In 2008, Woodhaven Lanes in Queens fell after 49 years, and Van Wyck Lanes in Richmond Hill surrendered the same year after 48. All told, there are 23 bowling alleys in the city, according to the United States Bowling Congress, the sport?s governing body. Back in the 1970s, it figured there were close to 200. Throughout the country, there has been a continuing and pronounced decline in organized league bowling, though a rise in the number of people who bowl occasionally (which can mean once a year). Bowlmor is owned by Strike Holdings, and at its downtown headquarters, Thomas Shannon, the chief executive, spoke about the old bowling, and the new bowling that might save New York. ?It used to be that if you wanted to go bowling, you had to suffer some form of deprivation,? he said. ?Bad food ? you know, the hot dog on a roller. Stale tap beer. No service.? Bowlmor and the upscale alleys typically shun leagues. They don?t want guys who show up with bowling outfits and excessive stomachs and their own equipment and want to pay $1.95 a game. ?They want the cheapest, most miserable experience,? Mr. Shannon said. ?I would describe it as a Stalinist experience.? At Bowlmor, games are generally $11 to $13. Mr. Shannon showed plans for the forthcoming Times Square alley. Adorning the entrance will be Bowlmor Bob, a giant bowler in a red dinner jacket. The front desk will have a concierge. When you get bowling shoes, you can have your street shoes shined for another few dollars. The 50 lanes will be separated into six themed areas. The Chinatown section will feature a gong to bang when you get a strike. To select the food, Mr. Shannon said he was negotiating with a ?celebrity chef.? Considering all this, Mr. Shannon wonders why his industry doesn?t get more credit. When was the last time the mayor singled out bowling alleys for their contribution to the economy? ?I don?t think many people in government appreciate us,? Mr. Shannon said. Over at Bowlmor on University Place, the lanes were crammed, people blissfully saving New York?s economy while dressed to impress. In a glass case near the lanes was a nice touch: autographed bowling pins. Christina Ricci. Rudolph W. Giuliani. Method Man. Monica S. Lewinsky. The other evening at Leisure Time, owned by a Danish company called Big Bowl (yes, they bowl in Denmark), people were bowling but not bowling well. Scores were pathetic. 51. 17. 7. They sure were drinking. The signature drink is the beer tower, a tube that holds 11 pints of beer. Mr. Kamel, the general manager, does allow leagues, but social leagues, not league leagues. He said that with some of these social league members, they have to actually show them how to bowl. He pointed out the bar top for the soon-to-open restaurant. Onyx. Cost: $100,000. At Lucky Strike, Ron Garcia, 36, a biotech salesman, was entertaining a friend visiting from the West Coast who had last gripped a bowling ball seven years ago. Strikes were infrequent. How did he feel about saving New York simply by leveling bowling pins? ?Good,? he said. ?It?s always good to save New York.? It would be rude to ignore hardened bowlers. They want to bowl, too. Cozy Lanes in Ozone Park, Queens, has 64 lanes. The food? Let?s not go there. A V.I.P. lounge? None planned (though a White Castle sits next door). Leagues are always going. No rock music muffles the sweet crack of pins falling. As someone wrote in an online comment, it?s not a place where you need to bring a credit card and pursue a second mortgage on your home to bowl. The place has a tired feel. Scuffed linoleum. Bowlers grouse about their balls coming back with nicks and scratches. The other day, the A. J. Transit Early Birds league was knocking down pins, paying about $3 a game. The members did not voice much enthusiasm for the fancy alleys. T. C. Newsome, 72, a retired transit worker carrying a 190 average, completed a spare. Of the new alleys, he said: ?It?s not bowling. It?s for the younger generation that wants instant gratification. In bowling, it doesn?t just come. You have to practice.? He rolled another frame, scattering eight pins. ?I?m stiff,? he said. ?Can?t get my knee started.? Down a few lanes was John Sutton, 68, with a 188 average. Can bowling save the city? ?Maybe that disco bowling can,? he said. ?But it?s not saving bowlers. It?s not saving me.?

Posted on: 2010/1/7 18:02

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/12 4:40
Group:
Registered Users
As a lifelong resident of that street, I can confirm that it is a very peaceful and quiet area. Neighbors are pretty friendly. There's really good access to just about anything (by car or lightrail) so that's always a convenience. Once in a while people have parties or kids play football or something on the streets (especially when the weather is nice) but it never becomes an annoyance. I think you'd like it here.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 1:35

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/19 19:46
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
I've been here for 7 years. I find that the neighborhood is much the same every night of the week - little pedestrian traffic and not many cars driving by. Since the area does have a suburban feel too it - mostly 1 and 2 family homes with large backyards most people tend to stay either on their front porch or in the backyard when it gets warm outside.

The only park I go to anywhere in Jersey City is liberty state - it's the best park in the state - playground, bike paths, views. I drive my car to the park but if there was a decent sidewalk or bike path on the road leading to the park - I'd ride my bike and be there in 10 minutes.

It's true that there a few families that have all out parties in the summer and the music gets really loud but it's not a every week-end occurance.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
I'd add that for pets and other stuff I drive to Broadway or Avenue C in Bayonne. It's close. Most of what I need is there.

As far as restaurants, Cafe Bello in Bayonne is great. But mostly I go to Manhattan or JC.

As far as walking from the light rail at night... bad things can happen anywhere but it's not a scary neighborhood. It feels like a quiet suburb.

For shopping there is Pathmark on 440. I prefer Stop and Shop on 440 in Bayonne.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 23:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/22 0:52
Group:
Registered Users
Hope you don't mind me fielding a couple of these

It's rarely loud on my block. During the summer, there tended to be some well-attended gatherings on Pearsall, between Princeton and Garfield, but it was fine walking by, and they weren't loud.

I don't really see all that much hanging out (except people on their own front porches).

Danforth Light Rail to Exchange place is exactly 10 minutes. It's 18 minutes to Pavonia Newport, so that should cover all your into-Manhattan needs (via either WTC path or 33rd path respectively). I've taken the light-rail late a number of times, without incident - the ride and walk feels no different at 8pm or 1am. ... Note that the light-rail does stop running late at night. I think the last train leaves Exchange place at 2am, but you should check the schedules - they've changed recently.
http://www.mylightrail.com/

Shopping and restaurants are distinctly lacking in the neighborhood. Nothing notable within walking distance. I have a car, and end up doing most of my shopping in Bayonne. I suppose you could also catch the light-rail into Bayonne. ... I tend to go to restaurants in either Hoboken or Manhattan (via Light Rail, or Light Rail -> Path). You *might* find the ACME shopping center near the bowling alley walkable, distance-wise at least - though it's a little sketchy.

I don't think there are any parks or dog walks close-by.

Hope this helps...

Posted on: 2009/3/2 21:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/8 12:50
Group:
Registered Users
A cop or two in the neighborhood? A Vet patrolling the neighborhood? Wow! Sounds good.

Teroli- what did you find during your visits on Friday and Saturdays? How are the summer days with all the kids out of school? Is it ever loud on this block? Do people tend to just hang out in the streets even if they don't live in this neighborhood? How long have you lived there?

Br6dr- What is the commute like from Danforth to downtown on the light rail? How late have you traveled on the light rail and was it safe? I work in Downtown Manhattan and my schedules changes all the time. Most times I'm working until midnight and so getting home late and feeling safe walking from the light rail to my home is a concern. Even though the property I'm looking at is only 3 blocks away.

What about shopping and restaurants, supermarkets? do you tend to stay in Jersey City or go to Bayonne? are there many options?

Also what about parks or dog walks in the area? I have 3 dogs and would love to have a place to take them.

Thanks again guys you have all been so great with the feedback and advice!

JCNoob

Posted on: 2009/3/2 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Robustus wrote:
Isn't there a cop or two living is this neighborhood too? I've seen a cruiser parked in one of the driveways, I think on Princeton near Pearsall, a number of times.

Haven't seen that but there is one near the light rail and one on Garfield.

Quote:

Is the 'nam vet the dude who's always walking that bulldog?

I won't say who it is on the internet but I like him.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 19:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:

...We have a Vietnam Vet who patrols the neighborhood and scares the hell out of the punks. (I love you, man .)

Isn't there a cop or two living is this neighborhood too? I've seen a cruiser parked in one of the driveways, I think on Princeton near Pearsall, a number of times.

Is the 'nam vet the dude who's always walking that bulldog?

Posted on: 2009/3/2 19:35

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
It is a working class neighborhood. I've heard that that there is a monthly neighborhood meeting over at the charter highschool on Old Bergen & Greenville Ave. I'm not sure if it's still active, but there is a website with neighborhood info www.garfield-danforth.com

Before I purchased my house - I made sure that I visited the neighborhood on both a Friday and Saturday night to see what was going on. I wanted to make sure that I felt safe going to my car and I do.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, funny to think that I must walk past people who post here. I live on Princeton near Pearsall.

Though I'd like to live downtown to be near the bars, I've also come to the conclusion (judging from the comments on jclist) that this is a much safer and peaceful neighborhood. We have a Vietnam Vet who patrols the neighborhood and scares the hell out of the punks. (I love you, man .)

Being a few blocks from the Danforth light rail station is a HUGE selling point.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 16:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you both for your feedback. I visited a property there yesterday and got the feeling that it was a quite neighborhood considering some of the other areas around there. Based on other research I've done it seems as though it could be a working class neighborhood and being as how there are so many well kept homes I'm also guessing that the homeowners take pride in there neighborhood and ownership. Anyone know if there is a block association here?

Thanks again

JCNoob

Posted on: 2009/3/2 15:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
I own a home on Pearsall Ave & Princeton and we consider it to be a pretty safe neighborhood. The best thing about this neighborhood is that it is a quiet place to live and we have nice neighbors.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 15:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I live 3 blocks from there. It's not too bad - definitely not as bad as the parts of Greenville/Bergen-Lafayette that you typically see discussed here. I've been renting here for about 8 months. We (me and my girlfriend) don't have a problem walking to the light rail, etc...

That said, I would not walk go walking around Ocean Ave (2 blocks north of where you're looking). It's nowhere near as bad as Ocean gets in the heart of Greenville, but still - tons of dudes hangin' out at all hours of the day.

I don't know about the "it's close to Bayonne" argument... Do you notice the incredible change in neighborhood feel as you drive North on Broadway in Bayonne, under the Turnpike bridge, to Garfield in JC? That bridge is a distinct dividing line. ... In fact, I was a regular customer at a deli in Bayonne, and the guy wouldn't deliver past the bridge - not because of distance, but because the neighborhood freaked him out. I'd meet him at the bowling alley - 1/4mi from my apt.

I keep track of the crime reports - here's what comes to mind from around here in the past 8 months: someone was shot in the neck on Ocean and Pearsall in June, I think there was another shooting near Danforth not too long ago, something about a bunch of kids in a car with a shotgun near Garfield in this area, and I believe a number of the thugs mentioned in some reports live(d) on Neptune.

Oh, and do you remember that news story a few weeks ago about those idiots who broke into a store, put the ATM in the back of their Jeep, and sped off, forgetting to unplug the ATM, resulting in the machine falling out of the Jeep? That was 2 blocks from where you're looking; corner of Gates and Garfield.

Honestly, there seem to be far more muggings and break-ins in "nicer" neighborhoods, such as downtown and the heights. ... I tend to think that as long as you're not directly involved in the crap that I'm sure goes on around here, you're fairly safe. I haven't seen mention of any random crime (no muggings, home break-ins, packs of roving teens beating people, etc) in this neighborhood.

The "feel" of a neighborhood is definitely street by street, though... Just try to spend some time walking around the area to see what you think - and do it at different times of day, and days of the week.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 15:04

Looking for thoughts and opinions on Princeton St and Winfield Ave.

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Looking for thoughts and opinions on Princeton St and Winfield Ave. Is this area safe? Being as how this boarders Bayonne how does this area compared to other
sections of Greenville, Bergen/Lafayette? Looked at some property in this neighborhood and it seemed pretty quite and peaceful during the day. Its also just 3 blocks to the Danforth Light rail, anyone know of issue/ crime at this station?

What's your take?

JCNoob

Posted on: 2009/3/2 14:41

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017