Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Jersey Journal's parent company warns of newspaper's possible closure
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/11 21:46
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I am glad to know the Jersey Journal was saved. I remember its glory days, when it was a broadsheet and had some heft to it.

No matter how thin it is, we need it. It is the only way we can get up to date news on Hudson County. (In addition, the Saturday Letters Column, taken from messages left on the phone, is always interesting and sometimes unintentionally hilarious reading.) NJ.com's Hudson link is the Jersey Journal.

I am sorry to hear about the the departures of the five editors, particularly Earl Morgan and Rebecca Markley.

The Star-Ledger and the Jersey Journal are owned by the same company and the Ledger, while more robust thatn the Journal, has had its own troubles with sinking advertising revenue.

Posted on: 2009/4/16 22:55

The Jersey Journal

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/4 1:40
Group:
Registered Users
The people that are leaving generated about 90% of the news that was in the paper. What's left are a few reporters that
can't find Bayonne or Union City without GPS. The remaining editors would be more useful working in the housewares department at Hahne's in Montclair.

People of Hudson County deserve more. They should demand a better newspaper and reward it with loyal readership.

Posted on: 2009/4/16 0:47

Re: Associated Press: Jersey Journal to keep operating as cost goals met
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
Next the need to drop that Charles Hack. That guy really lives up to his name.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry to see them go! Glad they got a buyout at least.

Jersey Journal's:
Sports Reporter: Leon Banks
Life Editor: Rebecca Markley
Columnist: Earl Morgan
Arts Editor: Jeff Theodore
Reporter: Ron Leir

It's a sad day for local media - I hope these writers still publish things things out here in the blogosphere.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 16:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
The Jersey Journal is Saved but At Least Five Jobs Are Lost

Yesterday Jersey Journal publisher Kendrick Ross announced that Jersey City?s only daily paper and its affiliated community weeklies had met first quarter revenue projections and will continue publishing for now, avoiding an April 13 closure that was threatened earlier this year. But the paper will be forced to press on with a smaller staff.

?The paper is living on to fight another day,? Bayonne reporter and Newspaper Guild Local 42 president Ron Leir says, ?partly as a result of sacrifices made by employees.?

Those sacrifices include the departure of five editorial employees, several who have spent decades at the paper. Leir says that he is taking a buyout, along with sports reporter Leon Banks, life editor Rebecca Markley, columnist Earl Morgan, and arts editor Jeff Theodore. That leaves seven guild positions in the editorial department. All eight editorial management positions were spared.

Click here for more.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Journal takes 'step forward' in keeping newspaper open

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Jersey Journal and its community weeklies have met revenue projections for the first quarter, Publisher Kendrick Ross announced to the staff yesterday, adding that the paper will be completing work over the next week to bring expenses in line with revenues, and, once that is accomplished, he expects to continue publishing.

"We know the road ahead is challenging and uncertain, but we are pleased to announce this step forward," Ross explained.

"We appreciate the cooperation of our union and non-union staff, and we are grateful to our readers, advertisers and the business community for continuing to support us during this period."

The Evening Journal Association announced to its employees on Feb. 2 that the company would cease publication of The Jersey Journal and a string of weekly newspapers in Hudson County on or about April 13 if the paper was unable to meet revenue goals and reduce expenses.

This is good "news" I need this paper and the paper version it's the only way to keep the public aware. You have to think about going to the computer where the paper is at your leisure plasted everywhere for the eye to see.
"EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT"

Posted on: 2009/4/14 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Journal takes 'step forward' in keeping newspaper open

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Jersey Journal and its community weeklies have met revenue projections for the first quarter, Publisher Kendrick Ross announced to the staff yesterday, adding that the paper will be completing work over the next week to bring expenses in line with revenues, and, once that is accomplished, he expects to continue publishing.

"We know the road ahead is challenging and uncertain, but we are pleased to announce this step forward," Ross explained.

"We appreciate the cooperation of our union and non-union staff, and we are grateful to our readers, advertisers and the business community for continuing to support us during this period."

The Evening Journal Association announced to its employees on Feb. 2 that the company would cease publication of The Jersey Journal and a string of weekly newspapers in Hudson County on or about April 13 if the paper was unable to meet revenue goals and reduce expenses.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 13:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Journal publisher announces 'step forward' in keeping paper open
Posted by mschmidt April 13, 2009 16:10PM

The Jersey Journal and its community weeklies have met revenue projections for the first quarter, Publisher Kendrick Ross announced to the staff today, adding that the paper will be completing work over the next week to bring expenses in line with revenues, and, once that is accomplished, he expects to continue publishing.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... blisher_announces_st.html

Posted on: 2009/4/13 20:55

Associated Press: Jersey Journal to keep operating as cost goals met
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey Journal to keep operating as cost goals met

Associated Press,

The publisher of the Jersey Journal says the newspaper will continue operating, despite an earlier warning that it might end its 142-year run on Monday.

The Evening Journal Association said Feb. 2 that the Jersey City, N.J., newspaper would close if revenue couldn't support the newspaper's reduced expense plans.

In a statement Monday, Publisher Kendrick Ross says the Journal and the company's community weeklies met their revenue projections for the first quarter.

Ross says the company will take further steps to bring expenses in line with revenues, but declined to elaborate.

The company has ceased publication of its free Spanish-language weekly, El Nuevo Hudson.

The Journal is part of the Newhouse family's Advance Publications and publishes six days a week.
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/04/13/ap6284605.html

Posted on: 2009/4/13 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This just in:

Jersey Journal Avoids Shutdown

By Jon Whiten ? Apr 13th, 2009

The Jersey Journal, which publisher Kendrick Ross had said would close today if a deal on cost-cutting measures wasn?t reached, will continue publishing, according to a statement published by Editor & Publisher.

?The Jersey Journal and its community weeklies have met revenue projections for the first quarter, publisher Kendrick Ross announced to the staff today, adding that the paper will be completing work over the next week to bring expenses in line with revenues, and, once that is accomplished, he expects to continue publishing,? the statement says.

?We know the road ahead is challenging and uncertain, but we are pleased to announce this step forward,? Ross says in the statement. ?We appreciate the cooperation of our union and non-union staff, and we are grateful to our readers, advertisers and the business community for continuing to support us during this period.?

While one staffer reached today said the decision was a ?huge relief,? it is unclear right now whether the buyouts and other changes that the company wanted to implement in the editorial department have happened. Newspaper Guild Local 42 president Ron Leir was unavailable for comment as of this writing.

We?ll keep you posted as we learn more.

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... -journal-avoids-shutdown/

Posted on: 2009/4/13 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Everyone knows the Fifth season of the Wire, which focused on the newspaper, was the least good of all the seasons.

Posted on: 2009/3/28 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Newspapers last bastion against political corruption, says creator of The Wire
Reported by Oliver Burkeman in Baltimore
guardian.co.uk,
Friday 27 March 2009 13.58 GMT

In exclusive interview with the Guardian, writer David Simon expresses fears for newspapers' future and accuses media owners of contempt

Fictional corrupt politicians are a mainstay of The Wire, David Simon's celebrated television series about life on the Baltimore streets. But the show's creator says he fears a real-life explosion of rampant corruption in American political life if the newspaper industry, in which he worked for more than a decade, is allowed to collapse.

In an exclusive interview with the Guardian, the award-winning writer and producer launches a tirade against newspaper owners who, he says, showed "contempt for their product" and are now reaping the whirlwind. But he rejects the idea that newspapers should seek ways to embrace the new world of free information, arguing that they must urgently start charging money for content distributed online.

"Oh, to be a state or local official in America over the next 10 to 15 years, before somebody figures out the business model," says Simon, a former crime reporter for the Baltimore Sun. "To gambol freely across the wastelands of an American city, as a local politician! It's got to be one of the great dreams in the history of American corruption."

The only hope, Simon insists, is for major news outlets to find a way to collaboratively impose charges for reading online, and to demand fees from aggregators such as Google News, which profit from their journalism. "If you don't have a product that you're charging for, you don't have a product," he says. "If you think that free is going to produce something that's as much of a cost centre as good journalism ? because it costs money to do good journalism ? you're out of your mind."

The number of readers willing to pay a small fee each month might never rival the heyday of newspaper circulation, but it would attract enough "people who care what's going on in the world" to fund crucial reporting, he maintains. "And once they do that, and go to Google and Yahoo and every other search engine and say: 'No, ain't no free.'" He scoffs at the notion that amateur "citizen journalism", or new online-only outlets, might take the place of newspaper reporters: "The internet does froth and commentary very well, but you don't meet many internet reporters down at the courthouse."

Critics of the paid model for online news argue that it has been tried and rejected ? notably at the New York Times, which abandoned its TimesSelect service in 2007 ? and that those instances in which it has proved successful, including the Wall Street Journal, are exceptional cases.

They say media outlets must find ways to embrace and profit from the exposure offered by aggregators such as Google News, and that walling off their material will hasten their irrelevance. Anti-trust laws also present severe legal obstacles to collaboration between news organisations.

Jeff Jarvis, a new media consultant who writes a column for the Guardian, said: "The traditionalists are trying to transplant elements of the old business model into a new business reality ... when you put your content behind a wall, you lose more than you gain. You lose a lot of readers and the advertising revenue associated with them, you lose the ability to be discovered by new readers, you lose out to free competitors, of whom there'll be an unlimited supply, and you lose influence, because you're taken out of the conversation."

Having completed five seasons of The Wire and Generation Kill, a mini-series about the Iraq war, Simon is currently shooting a pilot for Treme, his proposed new series about musicians in post-Katrina New Orleans. It will feature at least two veterans of his earlier work: Clarke Peters, who played Lester Freamon in The Wire, and Wendell Pierce, who played Bunk Moreland. If commissioned by HBO, Simon promises, Treme will remain true to the philosophy he pungently encapsulates in the phrase "Fuck the average viewer". His shows, he explains, reject the conventional TV wisdom that everything must be explained upfront, instead demanding intense concentration from viewers, who must grapple with an unfamiliar world.

Rather than writing for a general audience, he says: "I want to write for the guy living the event."

On Monday, BBC2 will start giving The Wire its first airing on British terrestrial television, screening all five seasons in a late-night slot five nights a week.

* guardian.co.uk ? Guardian News and Media Limited 2009

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/ ... vid-simon-wire-newspapers

Posted on: 2009/3/28 17:14

Re: Save the Jersey Journal - are we just gonna let it die?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Can't wait till it becomes a big ol lair of a bedroom. For some of us "transplants", JC serves as a place to live until we're ready to grow up and "settle down" in a more quaint, peaceful place. Deal with it. We rent, buy homes and contribute to JC's businesses more then some of the "natives". (and most of us cause less crime) I treat the places where I've live they way they treat me. How do you think I feel about JC when I leave my home and find puke, garbage and branches broken off my tree in the morning?

...and that self-serving, narcissistic attitude GnomeGeneral is what prevents things from getting better. Rather than acting like the world owes you something, why not go out of your way to do a good turn - get involved, help someone other than yourself - and watch how things start to improve.

I'll never understand the mentality that allows people to think that since they pay rent and shop in the shops more than someone else that they are entitled to certain allowances or priveleges. I work in the city and make a good living. I also enjoy living here. Why would anyone want to live in a place they find as offensive as you do, GG?

My attitude is preventing things from getting better? Give back in what ways? Should I be standing on the corners of JC soliciting folks to behave better. I'm sure they would find my teachings on respectful behavior very enlightening. Believe it or not I've actually approached people who throw garbage onto the side walk. Best response was "it matter to you, it don't matter to me" (the garbage on the street). Our priorities are very different you see. I do my best to take care of the two trees in front of my building just to find the branches broken off and piles of dog sh*t on the soil. The planters that I fill with flowers each summer get used as trash cans. So whose attitude needs an adjustment here, the "narcissistic transplants'" or the natives'? ... Oh and I didn't even go into any real problems here.

Posted on: 2009/2/26 16:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/9 20:28
Group:
Registered Users
It would be sad if the J.J. goes. The star-ledger just isn't the same, even if it had a section for Hudson county.

I would especially miss the J.J. article titles.

Posted on: 2009/2/26 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Can't wait till it becomes a big ol lair of a bedroom. For some of us "transplants", JC serves as a place to live until we're ready to grow up and "settle down" in a more quaint, peaceful place. Deal with it. We rent, buy homes and contribute to JC's businesses more then some of the "natives". (and most of us cause less crime) I treat the places where I've live they way they treat me. How do you think I feel about JC when I leave my home and find puke, garbage and branches broken off my tree in the morning?

...and that self-serving, narcissistic attitude GnomeGeneral is what prevents things from getting better. Rather than acting like the world owes you something, why not go out of your way to do a good turn - get involved, help someone other than yourself - and watch how things start to improve.

I'll never understand the mentality that allows people to think that since they pay rent and shop in the shops more than someone else that they are entitled to certain allowances or priveleges. I work in the city and make a good living. I also enjoy living here. Why would anyone want to live in a place they find as offensive as you do, GG?

Posted on: 2009/2/26 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:

Excerpt from the N.Y. Times article on the Kindle E-BOOK.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/24/tec ... naltech/24pogue.html?_r=1

So, for the thousandth time: is this the end of the printed book?
Don?t be silly.
The Kindle has the usual list of e-book perks: dictionary, text search, bookmarks, clippings, MP3 music playback and six type sizes (baby boomers, arise). No trees die to furnish paper for Kindle books, either.
But as traditionalists always point out, an e-book reader is a delicate piece of electronics. It can be lost, dropped or fried in the tub. You?d have to buy an awful lot of $10 best sellers to recoup the purchase price. If Amazon goes under or abandons the Kindle, you lose your entire library. And you can?t pass on or sell an e-book after you?ve read it.
The point everyone is missing is that in Technoland, nothing ever replaces anything. E-book readers won?t replace books. The iPhone won?t replace e-book readers. Everything just splinters. They will all thrive, serving their respective audiences.

Interesting but it's a slightly different context. News is accessible everywhere, all the time, 24/7, and almost always available for free.

The Kindle at this point is a luxury for early adopters. But it's taking a stab at the already troubled book publishing industry, not to mention authors rights and other issues of usage and distribution. Traditional book publishers and retailers are panicking and unfortunately most of them are too stuck in the old standards to leverage what is happening around them.

The music industry and film/TV/broadcast industry (among others) have been forever changed by technology. And to expect outdated methods of delivery to survive is futile.

PS: my favorite part of that article is the complaint that the audio voice sounds slightly Norwegian.

PPS: Regarding Super Furry, I don't think it's "hate" that's going to kill the JJ. It's apathy. And that the reportage is sort of sucky.

Posted on: 2009/2/26 4:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

super_furry wrote:
I take issue with some of the negative comments in this thread. It's not as if the OP was asking for tax money to bail them out. I think that many of the JJ haters don't really care about or follow local JC stuff, and treat JC as a bedroom community.

The JJ is what it is, and is a reflection of it's customer base and the demographics of JC. The JJ haters don't read it now, and will double not read it in the future (if that is possible).

As someone wrote earlier, once it is gone it is gone. If continues to get published, it might get better.

I like that "bedroom community" what are they college kids, or foreign tourists. I wonder if they treated their old neighborhood(s) where ever they came from, like a bedroom community. If the J.J. does leave and all the natives go with it then Jersey City can become one big bedroom community and the local government can do what ever it darn well pleases.

Posted on: 2009/2/25 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

super_furry wrote:
I take issue with some of the negative comments in this thread. It's not as if the OP was asking for tax money to bail them out. I think that many of the JJ haters don't really care about or follow local JC stuff, and treat JC as a bedroom community.

The JJ is what it is, and is a reflection of it's customer base and the demographics of JC. The JJ haters don't read it now, and will double not read it in the future (if that is possible).

As someone wrote earlier, once it is gone it is gone. If continues to get published, it might get better.

I like that "bedroom community" what are they college kids, or foreign tourists. I wonder if they treated their old neighborhood(s) where ever they came from, like a bedroom community. If the J.J. does leave and all the natives go with it then Jersey City can become one big bedroom community and the local government can do what ever it darn well pleases.

Posted on: 2009/2/25 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/2/24 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

coronalime wrote:
Let it die or change. Paper news (or anything printed) is archaic and wasteful. It should be considered a luxury to have something printed. I am disgusted by how many papers the JJ prints and distributes. It seems that 90% of what they distribute just rots on doorsteps or gets tossed into the trash as soon as it arrives.

Sure, it is great to have local news, a critical eye on politicians, etc, etc. But they're clinging to the past.

Go digital or go home.

(edit: I might be thinking of that other paper that arrives unsolicited on my doorstep)

Excerpt from the N.Y. Times article on the Kindle E-BOOK.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/24/tec ... naltech/24pogue.html?_r=1

So, for the thousandth time: is this the end of the printed book?
Don?t be silly.
The Kindle has the usual list of e-book perks: dictionary, text search, bookmarks, clippings, MP3 music playback and six type sizes (baby boomers, arise). No trees die to furnish paper for Kindle books, either.
But as traditionalists always point out, an e-book reader is a delicate piece of electronics. It can be lost, dropped or fried in the tub. You?d have to buy an awful lot of $10 best sellers to recoup the purchase price. If Amazon goes under or abandons the Kindle, you lose your entire library. And you can?t pass on or sell an e-book after you?ve read it.
The point everyone is missing is that in Technoland, nothing ever replaces anything. E-book readers won?t replace books. The iPhone won?t replace e-book readers. Everything just splinters. They will all thrive, serving their respective audiences.

Posted on: 2009/2/24 18:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/23 0:48
Group:
Registered Users
A few years ago the paper considered shutting down and creating a Hudson County section in the co-owned Star Ledger. That may still happen.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
... most papers the size and scope of the journal will fold.

The old jokes are the best

Quote:

But as they are operating now, they are, and rightfully so, a sinkng ship.

atrocious

Posted on: 2009/2/22 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The JJ, like many newspapers across the country, has failed to adapt to changing technologies. Within the next few years, most papers the size and scope of the journal will fold. Newspapers are too expensive to print, not timely enough to be relevent, and now face competition from any citizen journalist with an Internet connection.

Old media's best attributes are brand recognition, astute reporting and professional writing. The journal fails at all three. As a brand, the journal is weak. The overall quality of the reporting is not very good and the writing atrocious.

The journal should focus on deeper, investigative reporting. The police blotter should not be turned into full page stories. They should find some copy editors and invest in some style guides. The need to concentrate on publishing on the web and improve their site. The need to crack down on pirates copying and pasting news stories on message boards which deprives them of pageviews and ad revenue. They also should keep their archives online which would also generate more revenue. But as they are operating now, they are, and rightfully so, a sinkng ship.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 18:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/19 21:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

KateKaye wrote:
Part of the problem, I'd imagine, is the company can't afford to hire reporters with little experience or...well...that fire in the belly that drives reporters to do investigative or enterprise reporting. Some folks at the paper seem to have it and others don't.

But what I'm getting at is the paper can't get better if people aren't supporting it. As readership has declined, so has its ability to support a larger staff, or -- another estimation -- attract more seasoned reporters.

A bigger part is that the JJ has never demanded the same sort of accountability that everyone everywhere suddenly seems to be clamoring for. Throughout my history of reading the JJ, I always find myself thinking "they're asking the wrong questions", "why don't they follow up?", and "why are they letting him/her off the hook like that?". And that applies to ALL of their reporters, including the well-past-his-prime Earl Morgan, whose prime, frankly, wasn't all that.

Civic activists through the years have taken the initiative and time to learn how city government works (and you can always tell from their posts which have and which haven't), is it too much to ask that someone whose job it is to report on government do the same? Apparently at the JJ, it is.

No the JJ's wounds are self-inflicted, and subscribing or buying more copies just encourages more mediocrity (although at times, aspiring to mediocrity would be a step up for the JJ) and delays the inevitable.

Yes, it's always unfortunate for a major urban area not to have an experienced, reliable, unbiased source of news, but in Jersey City's case, we haven't had that for many, many years.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
All print media everywhere in the US is in decline, advertising
revenue is moving from print to on-line advertising because the
rates are cheaper and you reach a larger audience. Large papers
such as the NY Times are also struggling to to maintain their print editions.
I dropped my subscription to the print edition of the NY Times years ago
because I had no time to read it, now I read it on-line.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 17:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/1 1:02
Group:
Registered Users
Part of the problem, I'd imagine, is the company can't afford to hire reporters with little experience or...well...that fire in the belly that drives reporters to do investigative or enterprise reporting. Some folks at the paper seem to have it and others don't.

But what I'm getting at is the paper can't get better if people aren't supporting it. As readership has declined, so has its ability to support a larger staff, or -- another estimation -- attract more seasoned reporters.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 15:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks -- it's an important point to make. And let's not forget about our neighbors who aren't able to access the Web regularly -- young and old.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 15:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You'd be comfortable relying on the small handful of news sources online with very limited staff and irregular publishing schedules to cover Jersey City?

We have to remember that the paper isn't there only to cover politics and government, but to keep us abreast of community happenings, criminal activity in our neighborhoods, local sports, and even provide utilitarian information about things like trash pickup and parking rules.

I'm not satisfied with the paper's coverage of many things -- or lack thereof, either, but I'm not ready to rely on some Star Ledger bureau covering Hudson on an even more limited basis, which may be what we're left with if the JJ is put down. (That, and typically biased and politics-centric sites.)

And honestly, the disdain people have for print newspapers never ceases to amaze me. I'm in my 30s and online every day, but I still recognize the value of having a newspaper when I'm curled up on the couch or on the train and bus on my way to and from work. Plus, there are lots of people in this city who want to know what's going on around them but don't have the opportunity to go online all the time.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
If getting information to seniors is what the Jersey Journal is for, then the JJ should send a Kindle or some other digital device to all of its subscribers and distribute the information electronically. It's going to take some creative thinking on their part, but if you want to survive, you have to adapt, luddites or not.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 6:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/24 3:06
Group:
Registered Users
The JJ can't survive because of the outrageous cost of delivery by the NJ teamsters as well as the increasing loss of advertisers. We should all push the Star-Ledger (JJ's parent company) to step up their Jersey City coverage and help keep an eye on our city's government, crime and schools.

JCLIST can't do it alone!

Posted on: 2009/2/22 5:45

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017