Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Save the Jersey Journal - are we just gonna let it die?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Let it die or change. Paper news (or anything printed) is archaic and wasteful.

Jeez - have we forgotten about those amongst us that are not plugged-in, nor ever care to be, particularly senior citizens in our area? They read "The Jersey" and rely upon the paper for their local connections.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 4:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

coronalime wrote:
Let it die or change. Paper news (or anything printed) is archaic and wasteful.

Amen. I've got nothing against the Journal, but shedding a tear for them is akin to shedding a tear for typewriter manufacturers, cassette tape manufacturers, and video rental stores...

For better or for worse, times change and some things just aren't needed anymore.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Let it die or change. Paper news (or anything printed) is archaic and wasteful. It should be considered a luxury to have something printed. I am disgusted by how many papers the JJ prints and distributes. It seems that 90% of what they distribute just rots on doorsteps or gets tossed into the trash as soon as it arrives.

Sure, it is great to have local news, a critical eye on politicians, etc, etc. But they're clinging to the past.

Go digital or go home.

(edit: I might be thinking of that other paper that arrives unsolicited on my doorstep)

Posted on: 2009/2/22 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Super Furry for a good idea-spend a coupla bucks and subscribe
Quote:

super_furry wrote:
Let me guess - you don't care about local events and politics/elections in Jersey City? Most of us read the Jersey Journal for the coverage of local stuff, not the national news.
It would be a shame if the JJ stopped being published. And the political machines in Hudson County, here and "up north" would benefit greatly.

Subscribe to the Jersey Journal
http://www.nj.com/jjournalsubscribe/

Posted on: 2009/2/22 0:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Brooklynboy wrote:
That paper is only good for lining the bottom of a birdcage.

Let me guess - you don't care about local events and politics/elections in Jersey City? Most of us read the Jersey Journal for the coverage of local stuff, not the national news.
It would be a shame if the JJ stopped being published. And the political machines in Hudson County, here and "up north" would benefit greatly.

Posted on: 2009/2/22 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Brooklynboy wrote:

That's the line for the UTN...

Posted on: 2009/2/22 0:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/2/22 0:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/1 23:25
From JSQ
Group:
Banned
oh man the jersey journal "expletive"'ing sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

only time i get the paper is maybe on satuurdays for the coupons

what a crumby no good worthless paper
bahahahahahha worst paper ever

Posted on: 2009/2/21 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
1jdcview - whoops - I did read what I typed - and now see how that may look. Please change 'multicultural' to any young female artist please. Again, I just read what I first wrote and I'm not that kinda guy at all!! I still hold my opinions regarding today's "Z-100" kinda "music" though.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 22:44

Re: Jersey Journal's parent company warns of newspaper's possible closure
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps they could incorporate Hudson County into the Ledger itself. This would span their coverage further north and east they (the Ledger) cover Essex, Union, and parts of Passaic, and parts of Somerset counties, J.C and south Hudson would be an asset. Let the Bergen Record cover West and North Hudson county.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Whatever the shortcomings of the paper, it is the only daily that we have that regularly covers events in Jersey City.

I wouldn't mind if the Star-Ledger had a Hudson County edition. A colleague in the industry said that the company wont do that because Hudson County would lower the average per capita income of the Star-Ledger's area of readership. That's why they keep the Journal as a separate paper This strikes me as incredibly short-sighted, but I guess it's how large advertising firms and their clients make decisions on where to place ads.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
...I wish that paper would just dedicate a page for Earl to write about Hudson County history their revenue will soar, especially from the "up north boys" who have been resurrected by trying to buy up all the copies so know one could read it.... :grin:

LOL. Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1djcview wrote:
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
I will agree that the Jersey Journal is not what it use to be but to think of us not having a local paper would be tragic.

Thanks, Pinkie, for that review! You know I'm a history geek. I always wanted to meet Earl Morgan. I hear he's retiring. Can you hook me up?

He's not going anywhere. He will be there as long as that paper stays afloat. Just pick up the phone and call him. I must warn you he can talk your ear off...seriously, I wish that paper would just dedicate a page for Earl to write about Hudson County history their revenue will soar, especially from the "up north boys" who have been resurrected by trying to buy up all the copies so know one could read it.... :grin:

Posted on: 2009/2/21 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
I will agree that the Jersey Journal is not what it use to be but to think of us not having a local paper would be tragic.

Thanks, Pinkie, for that review! You know I'm a history geek. I always wanted to meet Earl Morgan. I hear he's retiring. Can you hook me up?

Posted on: 2009/2/21 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users

I am a big fan of Earl Morgan and much about the ?players? in politics and the history of the last hundred years of this city I have learned form him. Just say a name and ask who the heck this person is and 4 hours later he is still talking. The man is a wealth of knowledge and someone better get that info out of his head and put in into historic archives. Earl is one of the few left that made the JJ the ?go to paper?.

In its day (my JC ERA), it was so easy to get things fixed, with reporters like Meodly Tanti, Stan Eason, Sally Deering, Peter Weiss along with Earl Morgan and Ron Leir: Those were the days when all you had to say was ?I?m going to report this to the Jersey Journal? and you watched people scramble. Most were smart and finally fixed the problem so it would not end up on the front page. I still to this day "LOL" when they called your bluff?and one call to the Jersey Journal who put one of the relentless reporters on it sent shock waves from those who challenged you when when they woke one morning to see their name in headlines. ?. : ). (cough, cough... Peter Mocco and the JCPA).

Sally Deering (HYSTERICAL) she could make you cry by the time you finished one of her columns, passionate, funny, edgy and cared so much for those in need,?..ahh, the good old days. I just don't see this type of passion now.

Nowadays I find many of the new reporters lack good investigation skills and most likely because they are overworked, understaffed and not being able to actually have the time to research. The paper is not dead until they cease publications, but they seriously need to fix the reasons this paper is no longer powerful and the ?go to paper?.

You know they have some serious issues when they quote "snagglepussywillow' from JCList as their source. (J/K)

Posted on: 2009/2/21 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Kay,

Is there any new information that we don't know about?

My two cents and why I don't buy the JJ anymore accept for Saturday when they have the inserts and coupons.

Everything is available online....we can click on top news, letters to the editor, columns, editorials..it's all there. IMO stop giving us everything for free, make us want to buy the paper instead of giving it all to us online. And they wonder why circulation is down?

I hate reading "the paper" online, it's akward and uncomfortable. When I do read some newspapers online I like reading them in PDF format the layout is in newspaper form. Please save the Jersey Journal it's one of our own and the first thing I like to look at in the morning.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Kaye,

I was the first person to join the FB group. Unfortunately, life does not permit me to do more than express my views right now.

I've shared your link and my support of keeping the Jersey Journal in operation with my network, and you can count on me to talk this issue up when the opportunity arises.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
I'm pretty sure closing the Jersey Journal means shutting down the whole operation, so that there will be no product for an online outlet either. That's not OK with me.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
...I mean I get a tad depressed when I hear the 'music' that kids listen to today - most has no beat or melody - it just sounds like thumping noise with young multicultural women screeching in the background....

Yikes.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
While we're at it let's save the 8 track players!! ( seriously, sorry if you feel your favorite newspaper is gonna go kaput - but it really is a little rag). I mean I get a tad depressed when I hear the 'music' that kids listen to today - most has no beat or melody - it just sounds like thumping noise with young multicultural women screeching in the background. I miss the good quality of the way clothes were made years ago when we made them here in this country. I miss the economy during the Clinton years. But one has to move along with the times. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
I think we should let it die.
It was never any good.
Always mis-reported news or
selectively slanted news.
Was always a tool of the
politicos in power.
I remember years ago when
we had lots of street crime and
the paper said there was nothing
happening downtown.
City Hall was trying to woo
investors, so news had to
be cheery.
Let it go.
All it was good for was the obits
and school sports news.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Kay,

My two cents and why I don't buy the JJ anymore accept for Saturday when they have the inserts and coupons.

Everything is available online....we can click on top news, letters to the editor, columns, editorials..it's all there. IMO stop giving us everything for free, make us want to buy the paper instead of giving it all to us online. And they wonder why circulation is down?

This is precisely why print journalism is dying all over the world. Kids today will grow up to think it is hilarious that we actually wasted all that paper to report news every day.

The NYT tried to charge for online news coverage and it failed. Some other papers -- like WSJ -- only offer complete free online access to subscribers, while others just ask you to subscribe for free so they can manage database numbers for advertisers.

Newsweek is completely changing their format to appeal to a much smaller audience to somehow carve a place for itself in this 24/7/365 news world.

And don't even get me started on the death of Domino magazine. Weep.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
i like grovepath's copy/paste from JJ, keeps me updated on what's happening.

So i think JJ is a good thing, despite their horrible reporting style.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Kay,

Posted on: 2009/2/21 15:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/19 21:53
Group:
Registered Users
I wouldn't judge JC's activists by their support or lack of support of the JJ. It's been the activists who for years have been calling for the paper to improve its coverage of local politics AND activists. And it's been the JJ that refused to follow through - activists don't buy ads, I guess.

As for imagining the 2nd largest city in NJ without a paper, how would it be any different? It's been years since we've had a real one. Except for the comics, that rag won't be missed.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Let's save the telegraph too!

Posted on: 2009/2/21 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Bump!

The New York Times is having problems too - it is a sad time for newspaper lovers.

Jersey would lose a lot without the Star Ledger and it's smaller papers! I hope it keeps going!

Posted on: 2009/2/21 14:45

Save the Jersey Journal - are we just gonna let it die?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/1 1:02
Group:
Registered Users
Are we ready to let a 140-year-old institution and Jersey City's one-and-only daily paper collapse during a mayoral election year? The Jersey Journal may not be perfect, but I for one can't imagine the second largest city in Jersey not having a daily paper.

Few people seem to be aware of the paper's potential shutdown, so I've created a group to help raise awareness. I've also been posting flyers around the city - but need help from others who can grab the flyers from the group's Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=61931104112) and post them around their neighborhoods. Or better yet, talk to people and help figure out other ways to take action.

Does anyone out there care? About 100 people have joined the group over the past couple weeks since it was created. But few people seem interested in doing more than clicking a button to join. Is this the state of engagement and activism in Jersey City?

Are we just gonna lie down and let our sole daily paper die?
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=61931104112

- Kate Kaye
concerned JC resident and Save the Jersey Journal group founder

Posted on: 2009/2/21 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Brooklynboy wrote:
16 pages of crap for 50/ 75 cents. I can read it online. I am a Brooklyn Kid and the NYC papers gives me the real " BS" story for .50.

I mean no disrespect to the writers involved with the JJ but the paper lacks on many regards.

It reminds me of the now defunct NYC Observer.

Try try try but money is lacking lacking lacking.

You get what you pay for.

" All the News That is Fit to Print"

Hummmm

The Observer is alive and well in all it's pink/orange glory and remains one of the best sources for true Gotham media and business snark.

Posted on: 2009/2/3 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
True enough - my friend Tom is an editor there - he would not be happy to hear he was out of work.

http://www.observer.com

It's a good paper.

Posted on: 2009/2/3 15:18

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact