Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Where can I find affordable Condos?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 22:06
Group:
Registered Users
realtor.com?

thanks for the info.

Posted on: 2009/2/21 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
goto realtor.com, type in zip code 07002, sort by price. There are some very good apartment units around 150-200k range in bayonne. Look for the ones between 30-45 street, and below 10 street.

I think it's the best value if you must buy right now. Good area, good buildings, good price and relatively cheap tax/maintenance.

Posted on: 2009/2/20 0:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
hi,

yes I have been looking around the heights area.

myh budget is under 200K

thanks alot for the information.

Posted on: 2009/2/20 0:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/6 17:44
Group:
Banned
Quote:

TNGALNJCNJ wrote:
It depends on what affordable is?.the question is too vague...

Is your budget under $200K? You might look again at the Heights - there are some nice condo conversions in old factories, schools, pre-war apartment house. True, you need to take the Light Rail or the bus from the PATH station, but it is only 10-15 minutes and easily accessible to both Hoboken and JSQ. The $1.25 jitneys are an excellent way to get downtown, Newport Mall, and India Square. In addition, the 10/99S runs from the Port Authority down Central Avenue with hourly service until 1 AM, and less frequent service all night - a great option if you are in Manhattan late.

In my building (a converted factory), there is a 1 BR for $189K, and nearby you can get 2000 SF duplex loft with awesome Manhattan views for $650K.

Posted on: 2009/2/19 22:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/27 22:48
Group:
Registered Users
I have a 1 br condo completly renovated in ST Johns/Journal Sq, pm if interested...mid $200's

Posted on: 2009/2/18 18:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, I just "pm" you!

Posted on: 2009/2/18 16:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
good point, I'm also including affordability and easy access to nyc.

thanks.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jerseynew wrote:
yes, I have been looking at bayonne and found quite alot of condos for under 200K and bayonne has a pretty good reputation for being safe.

so I might look into bayonne.

thanks.

just remember, as with most towns, bayonne also has its bad parts. do your due diligence and investigate the area thoroughly at night and day and dont buy a property just because it's in bayonne

Posted on: 2009/2/18 12:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/22 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
I have two 1.5 BR condos that will be on the market soon. In the Harsimus Cove neighborhood. Both in the low 200s. Send me a private message if interested.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 4:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
yes, I have been looking at bayonne and found quite alot of condos for under 200K and bayonne has a pretty good reputation for being safe.

so I might look into bayonne.

thanks.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 3:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/2 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
I'm selling a 1 bed unit downtown. renovated with low taxes. gas central heat, hardwood floors, new kitchen and bath - under $300K. I can even help with financing.
PM me if you want to take a look. I'd rather sell it myself than use realtors.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
I was calling the "not safe" bit untrue. I don't really have an opinion on the "affordable" part since as you note, it totally depends on what you need and what your budget it.

Quote:

TNGALNJCNJ wrote:
It depends on what affordable is?.the question is too vague?. Isn?t the waterfront affordable to someone priced out of the as Harismus Cove is affordable to someone priced out of the waterfront as the Jersey City Heights is affordable to someone priced out of Harismus Cove?.as Journal Square is affordable to someone priced out of the Heights????

It?s a rhetorical question.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 22:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/2 4:12
Group:
Registered Users
It depends on what affordable is?.the question is too vague?. Isn?t the waterfront affordable to someone priced out of the as Harismus Cove is affordable to someone priced out of the waterfront as the Jersey City Heights is affordable to someone priced out of Harismus Cove?.as Journal Square is affordable to someone priced out of the Heights????

It?s a rhetorical question.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moxiebaby wrote:
The real pity is that Bergan/Lafayette, Bergen Hill and areas by Lincoln Park are stunning and offer affordable housing but they are just not safe.

Absolutely not true.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Anecdotally, I hear of more crime near Journal Square than away from it, so I'd think Lincoln Park is safer. But I think it's a marginal difference either way. The condos closer to Lincoln Park tend to be pre-war buildings, versus St. Johns which from their looks I'd peg at 1960s, so if aesthetics matter to you, that's another factor in comparing the two.

Quote:

missmags wrote:
To the left of the path you can get a place near Lincoln Park which is not as safe as the St. Johns area in my opinion and also a 13 - 15 minute walk to the path. The bright side is that condos are cheaper in that area. When I looked they were selling for about $25K cheaper than what I purchased. They also have busses that take you to the Path along Kennedy.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
I wouldn't walk anywhere at midnight.
And no a lot of areas are not walkable to get to places like light rail and stores, thanks to the brilliant people at planning board and city that have deliberately shut us out.

Some areas are rough no doubt but like I have said before I wouldn't walk from any light rail station at midnight unless I really really had to.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Lafayette, good points.
I looked at one of the cute houses on Park Pl. I love the homes on surrounding parts of Summit Ave, Cresecent, Astor, lower Belmont.
I would still love to have a house like that.
Here are some things that did not appeal to me personally about the area:
1. I do not have a car so this is a not particularly convenient area for access to supermarkets, or lite rail or path station.
2. The house I was looking at had 3 different entrances. All had bars on them. The yard area was practically prison-fenced. This tells me something about safety.
3. On various walkabouts through the neighborhood I encountred 2 unleashed pitbulls and this made me very uneasy.

I admit I don't know what the place is like at night... so what's it like?
Can you safely walk from the Richards St or Garfield St lite rail to a home on Park Place up until midnight?

Posted on: 2009/2/17 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Wibbit:Not worked up but I will be here to remind people that when the post they should try to stick to fact. Some people's opinion is that B-G is not a good area. That is an Opinion. Based on what?
I think downtown has 2 things that are great- the path, and amenities like stores and restaurants. Other than that it wouldn't be that great to live either.
Like someone said it depends on what someone is looking for and how deep your pockets are.
We all would love to live in the penthouse at the Trump plaza but some just can't due to lack of funds.
It's economics.
My "opinion" is that a lot of downtowners live in horrible conditions just to live there, I rather live large and lavish here in bergen lafayette and believe me I wouldn't trade my home or living for anything in downtown and the best thing I can afford it!
So for those new here, ask around don't just depend on the people on this forum, go to the community meetings and get involved you will see that Jersey City is a much bigger place with lots of variety. Crime is up everywhere now, its called people lacking money and going the wrong way about getting it. You're going to see more crime....believe me. And it's not going to be only in Bergen lafayatte...word to the wise.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

I live in St johns condos (201 st pauls) and its moderately affordable for this area and I feel it is a safe area. I spent $310K two years ago for 910 sq feet and my condo is worth around $295K now. When I looked for my place I looked all over Jersey City and checked out about 30 condos. At the time downtown was untouchable with condos in the $390 - $450K range for about 600 - 700 sq. ft. I wanted more space which is why i went with St Johns.

yeah same, st johns was the only place i could find back then that had good value and in a relatively ok area + close to path. But i think you overpaid quite a bit, i bought at 225 saint pauls at around the same time 2 years ago, a 1050 sqft rennovated 2br for 290k. Are the associations still fighting each other now? It was like a war zone back then, i would get papers under the door everyday about why so and so is bad and should not be on the association board and each building try to cutoff the water supply to the fountains of the other building. It was insane.

Quote:

Lafayette wrote:
I am going to step in and speak for those here in Bergen Lafayette. Please stop the "its not safe don't live there" lines.
A guy got held at gun point on Essex are you going to tell people not to live by goldman sachs?
Or are you going to tell people not to buy at 7th and coles.?

Listen of course downtown is a great place we all know this but give us a rest over here. Give us a break and if anything, if you are so concerned with this side you can attend our meetings and help out.
It's great that we are getting a mix of people and YES there are some really nices condos probably better than some in old downtown railroad apts-turned-condos-get-flooded-everytime-it-rains.

Unless you have a personal experience about something that happened to you personally I don't see what all t his fear is about....I have live here all my life and I have not had anything bad happen to me thank god.

Bergen Lafayette gets too much abuse and unless people want to start being a little more honest as to "why exactly" you don't like it then don't say anything.....The look of the place is scary to some people that have lived in one track mind societies....we aren't all the same.
Thank you!

no need to get all worked up, just stating facts for someone who is looking to move to jersey. Bergen Lafayette is not a good area, that's given. Everyone is free to make their own decision, if the OP walked around over there at night and still want to move to the place then more power to him.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I am going to step in and speak for those here in Bergen Lafayette. Please stop the "its not safe don't live there" lines.
A guy got held at gun point on Essex are you going to tell people not to live by goldman sachs?
Or are you going to tell people not to buy at 7th and coles.?

Listen of course downtown is a great place we all know this but give us a rest over here. Give us a break and if anything, if you are so concerned with this side you can attend our meetings and help out.
It's great that we are getting a mix of people and YES there are some really nices condos probably better than some in old downtown railroad apts-turned-condos-get-flooded-everytime-it-rains.

Unless you have a personal experience about something that happened to you personally I don't see what all t his fear is about....I have live here all my life and I have not had anything bad happen to me thank god.

Bergen Lafayette gets too much abuse and unless people want to start being a little more honest as to "why exactly" you don't like it then don't say anything.....The look of the place is scary to some people that have lived in one track mind societies....we aren't all the same.
Thank you!

Posted on: 2009/2/17 16:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/15 12:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skepticalhook wrote:
Yeah-my dad worked for Dixon Ticonderoga when that was their factory. Rats in the factory then and now. I will qualify my comments. If you want to live in something where you can't hear the gunshots through the walls, see my post above.

I don't even want to know what kind of $hithole u bought for $200k, even in this economy.

Although, Dixon Mills IS usually criminal on criminal violence, so you got that going for ya. Don't get caught with hollowpoints-that adds 5 years. Cheers.

there are no rats in dixon mills. just becuase your dad worked there years ago doesn't mean you're a knowledge center on it.

ridiculous

Posted on: 2009/2/17 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
I live in St johns condos (201 st pauls) and its moderately affordable for this area and I feel it is a safe area. I spent $310K two years ago for 910 sq feet and my condo is worth around $295K now. When I looked for my place I looked all over Jersey City and checked out about 30 condos. At the time downtown was untouchable with condos in the $390 - $450K range for about 600 - 700 sq. ft. I wanted more space which is why i went with St Johns.

To the left of the path you can get a place near Lincoln Park which is not as safe as the St. Johns area in my opinion and also a 13 - 15 minute walk to the path. The bright side is that condos are cheaper in that area. When I looked they were selling for about $25K cheaper than what I purchased. They also have busses that take you to the Path along Kennedy.

Some parts of the Heights are good as well but you also have to deal with busses or the light rail to get to the PATH.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. I have a fantastic realtor if you are looking for a suggestion.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moxiebaby wrote:
Skeptical,
You're sh*tting us, right? A small 1 bedroom on Communipaw for $300K????!!!??? Try $200K at most.
I'd also point out that Communipaw runs perpindicular, not parallel to, the waterfront. So I don't understand your formula for $10K for each block closer to the water.

Original Poster-
There are many more sh*tty blocks in JC other than MLK drive. The real pity is that Bergan/Lafayette, Bergen Hill and areas by Lincoln Park are stunning and offer affordable housing but they are just not safe.

I was thinking of Grand and Communipaw as a starting point (not on Communipaw). There are lofts right there that are nice, but in no way is that a safe area. They are $300K+. It's not like this is exactly scientific--I was being illustrative. Go calm down.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Skeptical,
You're sh*tting us, right? A small 1 bedroom on Communipaw for $300K????!!!??? Try $200K at most.
I'd also point out that Communipaw runs perpindicular, not parallel to, the waterfront. So I don't understand your formula for $10K for each block closer to the water.

Original Poster-
There are many more sh*tty blocks in JC other than MLK drive. The real pity is that Bergan/Lafayette, Bergen Hill and areas by Lincoln Park are stunning and offer affordable housing but they are just not safe.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/2/16 23:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/27 22:48
Group:
Registered Users
Check out ST Johns area...201 ST Pauls, 225 St Pauls, 10 Huron ave...3 block walk to JSQ Path train, doorman bldgs, parking, etc...there are a wide range of units and prices.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
if you can find something within your range around the downtown jersey city then that's ok, if not, look in bayonne between 25-50th street or below 8th street downtown( downtown lightrail wont be ready until later this year though)

Dont bother looking at bergen lafayette/communipaw area, you will regret living there....

Posted on: 2009/2/16 22:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That's exactly what I was saying-in a much nicer way. I guess that's why I'm not in sales. Thanks avanti.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 21:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/18 20:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Prices are all over the place. Take some weekend time and tour the different neighborhoods in JC. I live near the Grove PATH, and I'm seeing small studios as low as $209,000 and small one bedrooms as low as $224,000. Pricing for "like-for-like" units typically does come down the further west you travel from the waterfront. You're also going to want to get an idea of how much space you'd like right from the start.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 21:08
We are what we pretend to be. So we must be careful what we pretend to be - Vonnegut

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah-my dad worked for Dixon Ticonderoga when that was their factory. Rats in the factory then and now. I will qualify my comments. If you want to live in something where you can't hear the gunshots through the walls, see my post above.

I don't even want to know what kind of $hithole u bought for $200k, even in this economy.

Although, Dixon Mills IS usually criminal on criminal violence, so you got that going for ya. Don't get caught with hollowpoints-that adds 5 years. Cheers.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 20:14

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017