Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Fatal 'DWI' cop's partner saw it all
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/3 18:55
Group:
Registered Users
This piece of crap, low-life is only going to be jail for as little as three-and a half years for making a decision to drink and drive, resulting in death of a life full of promises and success. Justice was definitely NOT served. I remember reading that his stupid mother had the audacity of blaming the couple that was crossing the street...what a winner she raised! I feel so badly for the girl's family, as this sentencing will not help them get closure.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 4:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
According to this - 6 beers in an hour can get you to .128

http://www.intox.com/wheel/drinkwheel.asp

I just tried this and it says that I can drink 5 glasses of table wine evenly in 1 hour and still be legal to drive (0.77). It seems like a lot to me.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 2:21

Re: NYPD: Drunken Jersey City cop mows down and kills young woman, injures man in lower Manhattan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Moral of the story---DONT DRINK AND DRIVE. Take a cab or have a designated driver. NOT the bartenders fault. Some folk are fine sitting inside and once they get out in the open air BAM it hits them. It's ridiculous to charge bartenders unless the guy is staggering and he doesn't insist to call a car service.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
I stand corrected.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 10:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
According to this - 6 beers in an hour can get you to .128

http://www.intox.com/wheel/drinkwheel.asp

Posted on: 2010/2/24 3:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Abreu had a blood alcohol level of .124

If 3 drinks is .08, he would have had to have downed 46 drinks in an hour to get that drunk.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 3:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Drunk Jersey cop who mowed down woman sentenced to 3 1/2 years

New York Post
By LAURA ITALIANO
February 23, 2010

A drunk Jersey cop whose speeding car mowed down a beautiful aspiring lawyer in the Financial District last year was sentenced today to serve at least 3 and a half years prison.

Family members of Martin Abreu, a 26-year-old cop from Jersey City, broke into mournful sobs as he was led off to prison.

He'll be eligible for parole in 3 and a half years, and will serve a maximum of ten and a half.

Abreu, was off-duty last February, when he plowed into Marilyn Huang Feng, and her hedge-fund analyst boyfriend on West Street. The couple were both 26 years old at the time, and had been walking home after a tango lesson.

"There's not a day that goes by that I do not wish I could trade my life" for Feng's, Abreu told the judge.
The boyfriend, Dennis Loffredo, suffered a shattered leg and the loss of "the love of his life," said the prosecutor, William Beesch.

Feng was also treasured by her parents in China, for whom she was an only child as mandated by government policy.
"The pain of losing our only child will never go away," the parents, who could not attend the sentencing, said in a statement Beesch read aloud.

Abreu had a blood alcohol level of .124, well above the legal limit of .08, and witnesses said he was going more than twice the speed limit.

"I just don't understand how people do it," Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Charles Solomon said of drunk driving, noting that this tragedy was "especially troubling because the defendant is a police officer, sworn to uphold the law."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/dw ... TQc4e0guz5I#ixzz0gQ7MZmRb

Posted on: 2010/2/24 3:26

JCPD Officer Martin Abreu....

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/16 2:54
Group:
Registered Users
today is May 11. and from what I remember reading in an article in the Jersey Journal, police officer Martin Abreu (drunk driver) had a court date set for today. I was just wondering because i could not find anything online, if anyone had any updates on the story??

Posted on: 2009/5/12 1:20

Re: NYPD: Drunken Jersey City cop mows down and kills young woman, injures man in lower Manhattan

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/29 14:40
Group:
Registered Users
yes the bartender is still responsible by law
thats why I am all for cutting patrons off

Posted on: 2009/2/19 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Duh I found it, his partner is Omar Adorno who was riding with him.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JoyOfSound wrote:
this is really terrible news...

not sure if this belongs in this thread, but thought it was worth mentioning.

last summer, while at a red light, a Hummer made a right turn and drove straight into me.

I flagged an officer down, who filled out the report, but REFUSED to address the fact that the driver was STINKING DRUNK. I'm talking about bleary eyes, beer breath, wobbly, the works! The guy even told me he drank a 6-pack.

The cops were INSISTENT that the man wasn't drunk, and their attitude was a way of telling me not to push the issue.

Why would JC's cops ALLOW for a drunk driver to get back into the truck and go home?

My only guess is that it was the end of their shift and they didn't want the extra work...

It's obvious: the Hummer driver that hit you was a cop.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users
In New York it's called the Dram Shop Act and the bartender is most certainly liable if he served this POS while he was "visibly intoxicated." That, by the way, is a very low standard under NY law. However, the initial reports stated that Abreu had a bottle in his car, so he may just have been sousing on his own.

Quote:

KeyboardJockey wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
There is at least 2 people who knew that Abreu was drunk; his partner and the person selling the beers.

I hope the families of both victims sue both and if they can establish that JCPD knew of Abreu drinking problem or there is any history of drinking, sue the JCPD as well if they didn't provide any rehab for him.

Accountability rules.

Why the bartender? He didn't know Abreu was going to get into a car and drive drunk. What ever happened to personal responsibility? He was just doing his job providing beer and collecting money.

Abreu himself and his bastard partner alone decided to get drunk, drive, and kill someone.

With that logic, FAB, Macy's should be sued because they sold someone a set of knives which were later used in a murder.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 17:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/14 18:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LoKo498 wrote:
When are we going to find out who this guys partner is. Why arent they releasing his name?

The link in post #27 has the other officer's name.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 17:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Im just saying people who drink too much should not look to blame others for their drunkeness

Posted on: 2009/2/17 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
That's great JCBound, maybe you could suggest some sort of breath test device near the bar, which would reduce the drama of making that authoritarian / judgement call.

Posted on: 2009/2/14 21:39
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi
as a bartender I have taken traning to id people
who should be cut off and I do cut people off...
but it can be difficult to know the sobriety of every customer
and even when you do cut someone off 'where theres a will theres a way' and can have other people manage to buy them drinks. I mostly agree that to punish the bar or tender relieves the perp of responsibility for their actions.
I would prefer to gather up everyone you were drinking with and charge them as accomplises
And I dont have the authority to take someones keys
TAKE A CAB OR DRINK RESPONSIBLY
It sucks that I could be held accountable for others misdeeds

Posted on: 2009/2/14 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
When are we going to find out who this guys partner is. Why arent they releasing his name?

Posted on: 2009/2/14 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JoyOfSound wrote:

last summer, while at a red light, a Hummer made a right turn and drove straight into me.

I flagged an officer down, who filled out the report, but REFUSED to address the fact that the driver was STINKING DRUNK. I'm talking about bleary eyes, beer breath, wobbly, the works! The guy even told me he drank a 6-pack.

The cops were INSISTENT that the man wasn't drunk, and their attitude was a way of telling me not to push the issue.

Why would JC's cops ALLOW for a drunk driver to get back into the truck and go home?

My only guess is that it was the end of their shift and they didn't want the extra work...

One of my friends got into an accident in the Heights and asked the police to use a breathalyzer on the other driver. The cop refused, I am sure the fact the other man was a retired cop had a lot to do with why the officer refused. The officer's response was "he doesnt look drunk to me."

Posted on: 2009/2/14 4:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

KeyboardJockey wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
There is at least 2 people who knew that Abreu was drunk; his partner and the person selling the beers.

I hope the families of both victims sue both and if they can establish that JCPD knew of Abreu drinking problem or there is any history of drinking, sue the JCPD as well if they didn't provide any rehab for him.

Accountability rules.

Why the bartender? He didn't know Abreu was going to get into a car and drive drunk. What ever happened to personal responsibility? He was just doing his job providing beer and collecting money.

Abreu himself and his bastard partner alone decided to get drunk, drive, and kill someone.

With that logic, FAB, Macy's should be sued because they sold someone a set of knives which were later used in a murder.

We are in the age of suing everyone and anything we can - remember the case about McDonalds serving coffee that was too hot and it got spilt ?

Personal responsibility went out the window years ago and from my understanding a bartender is not allowed to serve liquor to a person they believe to be drunk.

Posted on: 2009/2/14 4:02
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JoyOfSound wrote:

Wow. What BS. I wonder, if in hindsight, there was anything to do in that situation. Call the state police?

Posted on: 2009/2/13 17:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/30 16:31
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/2/13 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
i agree it's logically dumb to hold the bartender responsible, but i do believe there are some laws in place that hold bartenders accountable. that's why they're supposed to cut you off and take away your keys. i wouldnt be surprised to see a lawsuit against the bar come about (and definitely one against the cop)

Posted on: 2009/2/13 15:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/31 19:15
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Accountability rules.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
Here's the latest on this piece of $hit.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_dwi_death_cop_keep.html

Looks like mama wiped his nose after the hearing.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
If Abreu was southbound on West Street from Albany he was heading toward the BB Tunnel or the FDR Drive. Did they leave one bar and make for another or just bombed and lost? The partner, man or woman, should be made known. My confidence in that person is gone.

Posted on: 2009/2/10 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Accountability rules.

Posted on: 2009/2/10 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
This is a sad wake up call when we hear about these types of tragedies. Unfortunately, telling someone he or she is too drunk to drive or not cutting yourself off in time to sober up is not always considered the most "popular" things to do.

An old clich? that never gets old in my book?. "Friends don't let friends drink and drive". Something to think about the next time we are all out drinking with anyone who is driving.

Agreed. Seems like neither Abreu nor his partner were sober enough to Do The Right Thing.

We do not know all the facts and hard to say either way. I can say that we all have seen it, lived it, whatever and most of us were guilty of it one time in our life. A group, a few, whatever... are out in a bar/club/party and some are more drunk than others will let the drunk person leave and get behind the wheel. As I said before, it is just something to think about the next time we are all out drinking with anyone who is driving.

Vig, you and I are no longer 24 yrs old and when we were, drunk driving was rarely talked about the way it is now. In this day and age there is no excuse. There are so many options and other ways to get home safely. We just have to remind ourselves that there is.

Posted on: 2009/2/10 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
This is a sad wake up call when we hear about these types of tragedies. Unfortunately, telling someone he or she is too drunk to drive or not cutting yourself off in time to sober up is not always considered the most "popular" things to do.

An old clich? that never gets old in my book?. "Friends don't let friends drink and drive". Something to think about the next time we are all out drinking with anyone who is driving.

Agreed. Seems like neither Abreu nor his partner were sober enough to Do The Right Thing.

Posted on: 2009/2/10 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/2/10 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Quote:

2ndhome wrote:
I'm not a regular poster but often lurk. I'm so sick of these stories.

This is so sad. The guy should hang. Cops SHOULD be held to a higher standard. There are just too many stories like this one out there and yes, we should give them more press the the average joe 6 pack who mows down somebody. These are the same ego driven kids that bust YOU when you're .01 above the limit but they drive around with twice the legal amount and kill people. If THEY get stopped with a mere .01 above the limit they get told to "be careful driving home". We've all seen it right? Flash the tin!!

I will be sure to pray for this poor young woman's family and her boyfriend tonight.

Right on !!

What about his partner? Howcome he isn't being held accountable?? according to the JJ he was seated right nxt to this Jack-off and was probably just as stewed if not more? What kinda of msg does that send ?

Posted on: 2009/2/10 18:32

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017