Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Moving to JC
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/6 17:44
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCBound wrote:
Hello, I am a single guy, planning to move to JC
probably in the heights
Am seeing condos by washington park west of cental
or down by franklin nearer to fisk park or the resevoir?
am trying to stay near light rail and east of central
any thoughts ? relative safety ?
I bought a condo on Sherman Avenue between Franklin and Hutton last August - across from P.S. 8. Our building feels secure, and with 50 units there are always people coming and going, so think about looking at a larger building is a good idea in terms of security. I think being across from the school is a plus. I have been here 6 months, and so far have felt comfortable in the Heights (I am single, 40's, professional and was a crime victim when I lived on the UWS so I am sensitive to this sort of thing). Franklin Street historically had gang and drug activity, but it seems quiet now, and the 87 bus to/from Hoboken and Journal Square stops across from the School so it is a really convenient location. I can also walk to the 2nd Street Light Rail in 10 minutes, which is a really good daytime option - I have been told to avoid Mountain Road after dark tho'. From early morning to evening pretty much most of the Heights between Ogden and Central Avenues, from Prospect Street and Bowers Avenue feels fine for strolling to stores, jogging, taking a walk, etc. Folks always out walking their dogs, a comfortable mix of people.

That said, there is a pocket of medium-high activity centering on Central Avenue, from Franklin to Washington Park. Check out the 'Jersey Journal' Crime series: http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/mapping_out_crime/

As other folks have said, it pays to keep your street smarts about you and be cautious late at night, and avoid 'hot spots' like Mountain Road and Paterson Plank Road. The Light Rail to Congress Street is a good option, and while it is a 15 minute walk home, there generally are enough regular folks taking it even late at night - Ogden Avenue, while pretty deserted is a beautiful street and I feel comfortable there. If I am coming home from really late from Manhattan (after the 87 bus and Light Rail stop running), I try to take the 10/99S from the Port Authority - it runs hourly up to midnight, and there are busses over night every couple of hours. Central Avenue is pretty well lit, and there is always someone getting off the bus with you.

Best of luck, JCBound! If you want to chat 1-on-1, feel free to e-mail me.

Posted on: 2009/2/11 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCBound wrote:
probably in the heights

My opinion would be to move to the Fisk Park area that area is getting better year by year. It is closer to the light rail and of all the areas it seems to be improoving the fastest. The Washington Park area has more crime, outdoor drug dealing, and roaming crack heads then the other two sections you picked. The only down side to the resivoir area is how far it is from the light rail other then that it is fine.

Posted on: 2009/2/10 23:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/29 14:40
Group:
Registered Users
thanks

that pretty much the section Im looking in

Posted on: 2009/2/9 20:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Its been said so many times that there's almost no point in repeating, but - Its a city! Downtown is pretty good as urban areas go. Occasionally people will be robbed, murdered, raped etc. cars and homes will be broken into, but that stuff also happens on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, arguably the most expensive neighborhood in the city, its just a part of urban living, and one of the reasons people sometimes relocate to the suburbs. Every city has rich neighborhoods that are next to poor neighborhoods, many even vary block by block. While most crime will center around the most impoverished districts it does spill into the wealthier ones due to their proximity and abundance of disposable income.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I asked the same question a year ago about Historic Downtown, and I had thought that this was a pretty safe place to live until a couple of weeks ago when a shop owner was gun-downed only a couple of blocks from where I live. I personally have never felt any danger in the area, but maybe I had been just naive. Like everyone else who lives here, I was shocked and scared. So far, this seems to be an isolated incident, but if this kind of thing happens again so close to my home, I would consider moving. Better to be safe than sorry, right?

Atsushi

Posted on: 2009/2/9 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JMH wrote:

If more young professionals continue to buy in these areas, we will all win. You get a lot for your money and access to everything is just steps away.

but i thought yuppies were the problem in jc? at least that's what jclist taught me

Posted on: 2009/2/8 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The representitive goverment officials are awful. Most are corrupt. The cops are jaded and indifferent. The most important aspect of living in JC is who your neighbors are. Pick good ones.

Posted on: 2009/2/8 15:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/11/25 14:19
Group:
Registered Users
I was in your position exactly 2 years ago. A single guy moving back to the NYC area after several job relocations causing me to live in 6 different cities over the past 15 years. I considered many places, searched Union City, Weehawken, Hoboken, Brooklyn, Bronx, and Staten Island but I settled on the Heights. I live on New York Ave in a new condo between Griffith and Bowers and I absolutely love it. Neighbors are very active in the community and our block has been very safe. My neighbors consist of ariline pilots and flight attendants, accountants, teachers, computer programmers, and my neighbor across the hall is a Secret Service Agent. My girlfriend bartends and comes home late at night and we never have any problems. Like any area in transition, you have to be aware and careful, but not paranoid.

Some of the other posts gave great advice....drive around, walk around, feel out the people and talk to some people. If more young professionals continue to buy in these areas, we will all win. You get a lot for your money and access to everything is just steps away.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/2/8 15:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi
I know its a city but by relative saftey i meant
some of the initial searching
has me wondering should I stay up by north st
and how that might compare to more south near ferry st
my target is west of central and close to transp. to NYC
I know its generally less safe than say moving to Short Hills
and I have alot of time to research so...

Posted on: 2009/2/8 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
relative safety.......hmmmm.

if you know anything about Jersey City, you'd know that it's one of the most unsafe cities in New Jersey. you move here, your chances of getting mugged, beaten, your car stolen.....increase dramatically. come on, there were like 27 homicides in Jersey City last year alone.

i might get flamed for this one, but let's be honest.....Jersey City and safety do not go hand in hand, so JCBound, if safety is a big concern, find another place to live.

in the end, it doesn't matter because people for the most part know about the violence/crime here and move to JC anyway because of it's location.

Posted on: 2009/2/8 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
the area you're referring to is pretty good, but certain streets are worse than others. for example, while palisade near congress st is pretty good, the farther down you get it becomes shadier. the best advice was given already - go t here at night and see for yourself.

im also looking at buying a condo (either in that area or elsewhere). a couple that ive seen near the park were way overpriced and small.

Posted on: 2009/2/8 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Why do you want to move to JC for? Aint that kind of like saying I have a Bently but going to get a Kia? lol J/K

Posted on: 2009/2/7 23:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/3 19:00
From Heights - NE Corner
Group:
Registered Users
Definitely check out any block you're interested in at night as well as by day. The vibe of the blocks here can be highly variable. I've been by Washington Park going on 4 years now and am generally quite happy. Proximity to the Congress Street light rail and the bus lines into the city are key for this end of the Heights.

Check out the Washington Park Association and Central Avenue Special Improvement District for some general info. Better still, come to one of our Washington Park Association meetings and get the lowdown. One of our sister organizations, the Heights Arts Inititiative, is hosting a home buying seminar in March.

Posted on: 2009/2/7 21:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks
Was reading about that
really sad
I am not relocating til after summer
and have visited the area during the day
thanks again

Posted on: 2009/2/7 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
"relative safety" depends on where you're moving. You're going to get a variety of opinions here. The best thing is to visit the area at various times of day and use your own "spidey sense" as to whether you're comfortable.

That said, I know lots of folks up there, including young families. Property crime happens everywhere, and there was a murdered shopkeeper down the street from me last week in what is considered a "better neighborhood". YMMV.

Posted on: 2009/2/7 19:59

Moving to JC

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
probably in the heights

Posted on: 2009/2/7 17:28

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017