Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 'SCARED TO COME TO MANHATTAN' - feels like a flashback to the 1980s
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
and this too shall pass....

Posted on: 2009/1/27 16:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/6 17:44
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Not discounting JC or ethnic neighborhoods in Bronx, Queens, or Brooklyn but outside of Harlem, the Heights and Chinatown, the ethnic neighborhoods in manhattan have all but disappeared. It seems ethnicity continues to be pushed from manhattan to the other boroughs. More and more, working class people will only be able to visit manhattan while it continues to morph into a playground only for the wealthy.

As a former (20 years) Manhattanite - I can say from experience this is too true. And sad - while you can still experience diverse neighborhoods outside of Manhattan, a diverse mix of ethnicities, life situations & experiences, etc. historically have contributed to making cities great and drew an exciting mix of people to them. Manhattan - one of the most storied cities in the world - is dimished now that that immigrant strivers, artists, young gay people, etc., are being pushed out by yuppies and trust-a-farians who watched one too many episodes of 'Friends'.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 16:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/28 8:43
Group:
Banned
What a terrible photo. All I see is 2 dudes smoking cigs, with one handing over rolling papers.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 8:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/19 14:35
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Why would anyone DRIVE in Manhattan? I came to NYC relieved to be free of the burden of the automobile.

Posted on: 2009/1/26 22:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/26 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Saw a squeegee man last week on 39th between 8 and 9 around 6PM. Fortunately for me he was squeeging the guy in front of me.

Posted on: 2009/1/26 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Fran Lebowitz was bemoaning the Disneyfication of New York, and asking why every place on the map has to be kid-friendly. It's a good question.

I heard the interview and that was one of her complaints but still...

Posted on: 2009/1/26 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
GWB[/quote]
I saw 2 squeegee dudes yesterday on Broome street. They have a lot to learn though. They actually asked before squeegeeing. You are supposed to squeegee first, then demand money. Sheesh.[/quote]
Years back on my way to the San Gennaro Feast in Manhattan's Little Italy section as I just exited the Holland Tunnel ready to swing up Canal St. going east I was approached by a squeege guy who squgeed my windows then asked for some money all I had was pennies no other coins and only a couple of $20 bills. So I gave him the pennies all 15 of them. He threw them back at my car as I pulled away. I guess he felt insulted.

Posted on: 2009/1/26 19:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/12 16:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GeorgeWBush wrote:
Quote:

shakatah wrote:
Not nostalgic for seedy Times Square but many of the ethnic neighborhoods are disappearing and being able to visit many parts of the world without leaving NYC has always been something that you could only experience here. As the distinctive neighborhoods disappear, so does the character of NYC.

I appreciate the sentiment here, but it's a little self-absorbed. I would argue that integration of ethnic groups into American society has been an enormous boon, both to the groups & to the country.

Irish & Polish & Jewish & Italian and on and on. Now Puerto Rican and Dominican and Southeastern and on and on. Eventually everyone spreads out & integrates- if not the new immigrants than their kids. They keep what's good from their homes, leave behind what's bad, and off we go.

Leaving someone in a ghetto (and I use the word in the classic sense) or hoping that they stay there, whether because you want to "contain" them or because you dig the food in the long run is not healthy.

Not saying that you're suggesting that, but I can only view the deterioration of ethnic enclaves positively.

Besides, now you can get authentic Polish cooking in the burbs. Today, pierogis & kiebasi, tomorrow, real tikka masala & empanadas!

That said, this article is hysterical, also in the classic sense. I wonder how long the folks interviewed that live in alphabet city have lived there. Probably since 2005.

And are squeegee men really back?? Any independent confirmation of this from anyone here? I certainly haven't seen any.

GWB

I saw 2 squeegee dudes yesterday on Broome street. They have a lot to learn though. They actually asked before squeegeeing. You are supposed to squeegee first, then demand money. Sheesh.

Posted on: 2009/1/26 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
This is much to do over nothing ???
Its NYC, DEAL WITH IT !

Posted on: 2009/1/26 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shakatah wrote:

Not discounting JC or ethnic neighborhoods in Bronx, Queens, or Brooklyn but outside of Harlem, the Heights and Chinatown, the ethnic neighborhoods in manhattan have all but disappeared. It seems ethnicity continues to be pushed from manhattan to the other boroughs. More and more, working class people will only be able to visit manhattan while it continues to morph into a playground only for the wealthy.

Manhattan's loss is the outer boroughs' and JC's gain! Just think of the new adventures and discoveries to be had in these locales.

Posted on: 2009/1/26 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GeorgeWBush wrote:
Quote:

shakatah wrote:
Not nostalgic for seedy Times Square but many of the ethnic neighborhoods are disappearing and being able to visit many parts of the world without leaving NYC has always been something that you could only experience here. As the distinctive neighborhoods disappear, so does the character of NYC.

I appreciate the sentiment here, but it's a little self-absorbed. I would argue that integration of ethnic groups into American society has been an enormous boon, both to the groups & to the country.

Irish & Polish & Jewish & Italian and on and on. Now Puerto Rican and Dominican and Southeastern and on and on. Eventually everyone spreads out & integrates- if not the new immigrants than their kids. They keep what's good from their homes, leave behind what's bad, and off we go.

Leaving someone in a ghetto (and I use the word in the classic sense) or hoping that they stay there, whether because you want to "contain" them or because you dig the food in the long run is not healthy.

Not saying that you're suggesting that, but I can only view the deterioration of ethnic enclaves positively.

Besides, now you can get authentic Polish cooking in the burbs. Today, pierogis & kiebasi, tomorrow, real tikka masala & empanadas!

That said, this article is hysterical, also in the classic sense. I wonder how long the folks interviewed that live in alphabet city have lived there. Probably since 2005.

And are squeegee men really back?? Any independent confirmation of this from anyone here? I certainly haven't seen any.

GWB

Really not talking about food here, but even if I was, having chinese from someplace in the middle of Caldwell is def. not the same as venturing through Chinatown for eats. The culture that you experience by being in these ethnic neighborhoods cannot be diluted and exported to the burbs by a family or two moving there. Going to a polish restaurant every now and then does not provide the same experience as walking through or spending the day in a polish neighborhood.

Notice that in my original post I said that being able to visit many parts of the world without leaving nyc was great, did not say being able to sample different kinds of food. Most people travel to experience culture, of which food is really a very small part.

Posted on: 2009/1/26 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stani wrote:
Quote:

shakatah wrote:

The neighborhoods you speak of are alive and well in Queens and parts of Brooklyn, all a short subway ride away. And let's not forget the diversity in our own fair city.

Posted on: 2009/1/26 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shakatah wrote:

GWB

Posted on: 2009/1/26 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shakatah wrote:

The neighborhoods you speak of are alive and well in Queens and parts of Brooklyn, all a short subway ride away. And let's not forget the diversity in our own fair city.

Posted on: 2009/1/26 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Fran Lebowitz was bemoaning the Disneyfication of New York, and asking why every place on the map has to be kid-friendly. It's a good question.

Posted on: 2009/1/26 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/1/26 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I remember Fran Liebowitz talking about how much she missed the old NYC and Times Square when it was full of drug-dealers and "bums" and hookers. As if other people's misery should be our entertainment.

Posted on: 2009/1/26 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
This is just some sensationalist garbage. Really? people sell drugs in NYC???? I am soo sick of the Media.

Posted on: 2009/1/26 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Who says nobody's nostalgic for New York in the 1980's.

Posted on: 2009/1/26 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Earlier this month, The Post reported that the NYPD had shifted focus away from quality-of-life crimes - such as loitering, urinating and drinking in public, and minor traffic offenses - and was instead focusing on major crime and counterterrorism.

So why exactly do we have an FBI, NSA, and CIA if the local police are dealing with counter terrorism?

Posted on: 2009/1/26 15:51

'SCARED TO COME TO MANHATTAN' - feels like a flashback to the 1980s
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
'SCARED TO COME TO NY'
LIKE BAD OLD DAYS OF PETTY CRIME

By KEVIN FASICK, MURRAY WEISS and ADAM NICHOLS
New York Post
January 26, 2009

Resized Image
THE NEW DEAL: Two men make a handoff outside the 30th Street Men's Shelter, part of the Bellevue Hospital complex, where neighbors complain that loiterers' behavior is getting out of control.

It feels like a flashback to the 1980s on city streets - an era no one's nostalgic for.

Overstretched cops are struggling to combat petty crime, according to police sources - resulting in an easing of enforcement that's taking Manhattan down fast, angry New Yorkers told The Post.

"People tell me they're scared to come here," said Greg Agnew, owner of the East Bay Diner on First Avenue at 29th Street. "Guys are hanging out in the street, doing things they're not supposed to be doing, loitering. They cause fights. They urinate on the floor, There's drug use."

Over four days this month, Post reporters watched as large gangs of men loitered around-the-clock outside the 30th Street Men's Shelter on the grounds of Bellevue Hospital.

"We're scared to go outside," said Annie Samuel, 55, a hospital nurse. "When we go home, we always travel in groups."

Earlier this month, The Post reported that the NYPD had shifted focus away from quality-of-life crimes - such as loitering, urinating and drinking in public, and minor traffic offenses - and was instead focusing on major crime and counterterrorism.

Last year, the number of summonses issued for minor criminal violations dropped by tens of thousands, city data shows.

The neglect is fast sending the city back to the dark days of the pre-Giuliani era, New Yorkers said last week.

In Alphabet City, residents are seeing signs of decay.

"You're seeing empty drink bottles in the street, you're catching people urinating. They're 'tagging up' [spray-painting graffiti]," said Anibal Pabon, 44, an office clerk. "All that stuff is coming back."

Elsewhere in the city, residents reported a spike in petty crime, including the revival of the hated squeegee man.

"The squeegee men and graffiti are like the miner's canary. They're a warning sign of worse trouble to come," said Queens City Councilman Eric Gioia.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said that while the 501,143 minor-offense summonses issued in 2008 were fewer than in 2007, the amount far surpassed the highest number of summonses issued under Giuliani, with 431,462 in 2001.

In addition, police are now strategizing to reduce complaints specific to individual neighborhoods, Browne said.

Additional reporting by Reuven Fenton, Douglas Montero, Brigitte Williams and Tim Perone

murray.weiss@nypost.com

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01262009/ ... _to_come_to_ny_152032.htm

Posted on: 2009/1/26 15:48

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017