Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: New PATH Trains Roll Through WTC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Nothing new here. There have been new Path cars sitting in the Harrison yard since last summer.

Posted on: 2009/1/22 16:53

Re: New PATH Trains Roll Through WTC

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/19 15:34
Group:
Registered Users
i can't believe that the Port Authority is this far behind schedule...

oh wait, no i'm not, these are the people that are "...paying Silverstein $300,000 a day until the sites are cleared and ready for construction under an agreement renegotiated in 2006. The Port also missed another deadline at the end of the year for work on the sites for Towers 2 and 3 and has racked up $60 million worth of fines to date for missing the June and December 2008 deadlines. As a result of the arbitration, the Port and Silverstein have agreed on more detailed guidelines to determine when the sites are done."*

$60mm worth of fines. who foots the bill? the tax payers. with $60mm, they could afford to hire a few more conductors and run more path service on the weekend and nights. but they'd rather just hand over the money to some real estate developers to sit on their bums!

*http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_298/portrecession.html

Posted on: 2009/1/22 16:23

New PATH Trains Roll Through WTC

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/31 16:48
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hey all,

I posted a few shows of a new PATH line as it rolled through the WTC station the other night and thought you might dig a gander:

http://www.drawandquarter.com/new-pat ... -and-fast-also-dangerous/

Posted on: 2009/1/22 15:51
Draw & Quarter - Engaging Jersey City Draw & Quarter

Re: OMG - They are real!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
A rumor I heard from someone who has a PATH conductor in their family is that the roll-out of the new cars has been delayed so long because at least one set of test cars got completely smashed up when going around turns in the tubes...the cars supposedly surfaced from the tunnel severely dented/scratched.

Posted on: 2009/1/15 3:11

Re: New PATH trains, then more zip
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah stop those thug legs spreading thugs or the thug arm spreadin thugs! You gotta pay extra to steal my space B1tch!

Posted on: 2008/12/7 2:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jkind wrote:
The increased capcity is good and the cars will all have three doors per side which will help load times, but a major problem I saw with their design is the lack of center poles. The rep said this design was chosen to encourage people to move to the middle of the car, but most people in the meeting agreed that this would not be the case. We all thought people would huddle around the poles close to the doors.

Is it possible they're testing more than one model? I think the Kawasaki cars I saw pull into 33rd had the same number of doors as the old ones, but they had more poles mounted from the seats, 4 per row of 6 seats rather than 3. I like this design for sitting too, since you're always by a pole that can keep the thug next to you from spreading his legs wide enough to take up 3 seats.

Posted on: 2008/12/6 17:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/2 14:30
Group:
Registered Users
The path reps who were at the van vorst meeting last month said they're testing the cars now and are expecting the first set of cars to come online q1 next year. They will roll out on the wtc line first and come out in waves of 10-15 cars if I remember correctly. Once they get some more cars in the rotation they'll expand the number of cars per train back to 8. Tt is now at seven since they lost a bunch of cars on 9/11.

The cars along with signal upgrades will eventually, probably 10 years from now, run trains closer together. The increased capcity is good and the cars will all have three doors per side which will help load times, but a major problem I saw with their design is the lack of center poles. The rep said this design was chosen to encourage people to move to the middle of the car, but most people in the meeting agreed that this would not be the case. We all thought people would huddle around the poles close to the doors.

Posted on: 2008/12/6 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
They've been pulling the new PATH cars through the tubes for at least a couple of months now. I saw some in Journal Square last month, and had heard reports of sightings prior to that. They're real. Hopefully we'll see them in service soon. Those lucky WTC commuters are getting them first!

Posted on: 2008/12/5 20:28

OMG - They are real!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I am surprised no one else saw them and beat me to the post.

I SAW THE NEW PATH TRAIN CARS! They are real! I though our upgraded trains were going to the way of the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy.

Around 12:30 yesterday at Grove St. station the new trains pulled through without stopping - PATH workers were inside. The interiors were still covered in plastic. They pretty much look like the pictures and remind me of the nicer subway trains (like the one on the 7 line).

I am hoping this means we will see them operating soon.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 19:55

Re: More rants about the PATH
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Oh, have no fear...the new Path trains will accomodate more people. The seats are about 3/4 of the width of the current seats, so we will all be more squished together.
How sure are you about the width ? Did you measure the current seats and how did you compare to the newer model ? If this is true it will be fun to watch, puls there will not be anynore 2 door cars so carriages, carts, and folding bikes will have to take up space in the middle of the train car. With the old 2 door cars there was a space between the sliding doors and the end of the seat bench.

Posted on: 2008/10/29 0:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/29 16:00
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
by Robocub on 2008/10/28 13:12:44

I'm so tired of people ranting in forums like this, where it all falls on no ones ears who can actually do something. I really suggest you log onto a site like FixMy Path and send an appropriate message to the PA.

http://www.fixmypath.com/

God knows there's no short list of issues that need fixing with the Port Authority, including their management and operation of the PATH, among other things.

While I'm no great fan of the Port Authority, the site comes across as an unfocused, unprofessional, and perhaps, irresponsible, diatribe against the Port Authority. The ostensible purpose appears not to be really aimed at producing a constructive result, but at giving the "appearance" of doing something constructive.

Perhaps the most disconcerting element is that there isn't a single, scintilla of a reference as to the identify of the responsible parties who are gathering the signatures, nor is there a clear statement of purpose or position letter the signatures are supposedly being collected for.

The PATH does need fixing, but this is hardly a transparent, responsible approach, which will drive a successful result.

All the best.

Geoff

Posted on: 2008/10/28 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, have no fear...the new Path trains will accomodate more people. The seats are about 3/4 of the width of the current seats, so we will all be more squished together.

Posted on: 2008/10/28 19:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/29 11:21
From Jersey City, Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm so tired of people ranting in forums like this, where it all falls on no ones ears who can actually do something. I really suggest you log onto a site like FixMy Path and send an appropriate message to the PA.

http://www.fixmypath.com/

Posted on: 2008/10/28 17:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/7 17:24
Group:
Banned
So these trains won't actually accommodate the ever increasing amount of JC residents after all. They're the same size train as the current ones! The NJ transit authority is going to have a serious mess on their hands in the next few years. They need to start running the PATH train on a more serious schedule! None of this 30 minute waiting on nights and weekends crap! Rush hour schedule all the time! That's my vote.

Posted on: 2008/10/28 14:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/29 3:04
Group:
Registered Users
I'm happy that they would test the trains first. Better that than get stuck mid-way between Christopher street and Newport from an electronics failure at 5:45 pm on a Friday.

Posted on: 2008/10/4 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
At least that's a sign they'll be running for real soon... and I'd rather them be very fully tested first!

Really seems like they've stopped maintaining the old cars entirely while waiting for these to show up, though.

Posted on: 2008/10/4 19:54

More rants about the PATH
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/15 11:24
Group:
Registered Users
PATH, Thanks for taunting us with the new PATH cars this morning. You thought no one saw you when you pulled into the Grove street path station heading west with printed out signs that say "Test train" affixed all over you. Hopefully we won't have to wait until December 31st to enjoy your modern features.

Posted on: 2008/10/4 19:27

Re: New Path cars

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/14 21:56
From vvp
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNWLW4SgY5Q

never saw this video before, but they look just like the ones that are running on the L, 4/5/6, 2/3 except with individual seats (this has probably been said a million times before) .. I'm worried about what seems like a lack of space for bikes, carriages, etc.

Posted on: 2008/7/18 19:50

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/6 5:22
Group:
Registered Users
Benefits of the 3 door will be better passenger flow, and people will not bunch up near the doors. It's quite silly how the door area is scrunched up with a ton of ppl, but the ends of the cars are relatively empty (and peaceful).

I'm all for the 3 door new PATH cars. Let'em out already!

Posted on: 2008/7/18 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ansky wrote:
I was taking the Path home from Newark last night and as the train was rolling towards JC we passed a bunch of new Path cars sitting on the tracks. They look nice from the outside. Hopefully they will be in service soon.

They are near the same size as the ones being replaced. Except they are all 3 door cars. I like the old 2 door cars because they have a space between the door and the end seat. Having this space allows a folding bike, carriage, and wheelchair to fit neatly without getting in the way of others.

Posted on: 2008/7/18 16:59

New Path cars
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I was taking the Path home from Newark last night and as the train was rolling towards JC we passed a bunch of new Path cars sitting on the tracks. They look nice from the outside. Hopefully they will be in service soon.

Posted on: 2008/7/18 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
was anyone else foolish enough to take one of the white cards they were handing out at the turnstiles during the pm commute yesterday?

it was an apology note for Tuesday's service suspension.

I got up to the platform at 23rd street, and it was littered with white cards, some blowing onto the tracks.

they looked kinda flammable.

I didn't see those. But what a waste of money printing those things up. All they needed to do was make an announcement over the PA systems.

Posted on: 2008/6/12 13:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
was anyone else foolish enough to take one of the white cards they were handing out at the turnstiles during the pm commute yesterday?

it was an apology note for Tuesday's service suspension.

I got up to the platform at 23rd street, and it was littered with white cards, some blowing onto the tracks.

they looked kinda flammable.

Posted on: 2008/6/12 12:08

Re: TRASH CAN BLUES -- PATH riders have no place to put litter
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/25 11:02
Group:
Registered Users
Two track fires in a month? Is this no trash can policy really working for them?

While I see that even when trash cans are available some people will still litter I don't think that their behavior should dictate policy for the rest of us. When given the opportunity I still believe will do the right thing.

Why not try the reverse and have recycling and trash receptacles that are convenient and help improve the environment of the station. It seems too often the comfort and convenience of the customer is the last thing the PA considers when setting policy.

Posted on: 2008/6/11 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
I got a "SmartLink" card free when they introduced them but have not used it yet because I stocked up on the regular per-ride cards before the fare increase went into effect. I suspect that I'm not the only one who did this.

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Many are passing up cheapest PATH ride

Thursday, April 10, 2008
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

It's been just over a month since unlimited-ride PATH SmartLink cards were introduced - but, so far, customers are less enthused than might be expected.

Only about 10 percent of riders are using the cards. Since the Port Authority began offering the unlimited ride cards March 2 - in conjunction with the single-ride price hike from $1.50 to $1.75 - about 12,000 have been sold.

The card allows customers to ride as often as they want for a flat price, with 1-day cards for $6, 7-day cards for $18, and 30-day cards for $54, plus a one-time fee for the card. About 37,170 customers applied for a free SmartLink card during a recent Port Authority promotion.

"I just use the card Monday through Friday," said Robert Williams, a legal assistant who lives in Jersey City and works in Manhattan. "When you do the math it's cheaper."

"I just get the 20-trip ride. I don't take the PATH on weekends," agreed Jennifer Rayo, a 32-year-old IT professional who lives in Union City and commutes to Lower Manhattan.

But while the pay-per-trip cards appear slightly cheaper at first glance, a closer look shows they're not.

Most people interviewed compared the price of the 40-trip card - $52 - to the $54 for a 30-day unlimited pass. But most months have about 22 work days a month, or 44 trips. Thus, even if riders only use the card for the daily commute, the unlimited card is slightly cheaper, working out to $1.23 per trip compared to $1.30 per trip for a multi-trip card.

Both are significantly less expensive than the $1.75 paid by people who buy one trip at a time.

"If you're a daily commuter the (unlimited) monthly is the cheapest option," said Marc La Vorgna, a spokesman for the Port Authority. He stressed that the Port Authority is not advocating that people buy the cards, the authority just wants to offer another option.

Surprisingly, 40 percent of PATH riders use the New York City subway MetroCard, which is accepted by PATH.

But unlimited PATH card sales may pick up soon. Some people interviewed said they were still using up multi-trip cards, but would consider using it soon. Others may choose to buy it as they learn more about it.

Ten years after New York City's subways began offering an unlimited card, 49 percent of subway riders use it.

Jigan Thakkar, a 22-year-old graduate student at Stevens Institute who lives in Jersey City, chose to buy PATH's monthly card because he takes it at least six days a week - four days to school, and two to visit his uncle who lives in New York.

"It's a good service," he said. "You can save a lot of money."

Posted on: 2008/4/16 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSalt wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Question - can the unlimited 30-day SmartLink card be used to swipe somebody else in right after you? For example, if I had a friend with me from out of town, who doesn't have a card?

In that circumstance, I'm sure if you just explain to the PATH officer that your friend is from out of town and he doesn't have a card, he'll happily let your friend through.

I mean he's from out of town and he doesn't have a card, come on.

Are you kidding, where do you think you are Kansas, Timbucktoo, Never Nerver Land, Mayberry........

Posted on: 2008/4/15 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/15 11:49
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Question - can the unlimited 30-day SmartLink card be used to swipe somebody else in right after you? For example, if I had a friend with me from out of town, who doesn't have a card?

In that circumstance, I'm sure if you just explain to the PATH officer that your friend is from out of town and he doesn't have a card, he'll happily let your friend through.

I mean he's from out of town and he doesn't have a card, come on.

Posted on: 2008/4/15 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

You can't use it for another 18 minutes, it's programed that way. Only money cards can be used immediately one after the other.

Posted on: 2008/4/11 0:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/4/13 4:02
From Hoboken
Group:
Registered Users
But the two of you could go through together with one swipe, you just have to squeeze

Posted on: 2008/4/10 21:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/27 19:14
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I doubt it. You can't do that with the unlimited Metro Cards.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 20:23

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017