Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
164 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 164

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: NJT Busses - Nearly (a) Joke (on) Transit?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/3 19:00
From Heights - NE Corner
Group:
Registered Users
Just a reminder:

The SECOND PUBLIC MEETING for JERSEY CITY MOBILITY 2050 will be held on Thursday, January 29 at 6 PM at Jersey City City Hall, 280 Grove Street, in the Anna Cucci Memorial Council Chambers.

Visit: www.jerseycitymobility2050.com

Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/6 17:44
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hell2heights wrote:
If you want to make your thoughts know you should go the meeting next Thursday:

The SECOND PUBLIC MEETING for JERSEY CITY MOBILITY 2050 will be held on Thursday, January 29 at 6 PM at Jersey City City Hall, 280 Grove Street, in the Anna Cucci Memorial Council Chambers.

Thanks for the heads-up - I'll definately get JCM 2050 my testimony - today I had to get in to Penn Station for 7:00 AM, to go with my ski club to Windham. At 6:10 AM stationed at Palisade and Franklin for the 6:12 bus. No? How about the 6:24 bus? OK, maybe the 6:32... At work now, trying not to look out the window at how clear and sunny it is...

Posted on: 2009/1/21 18:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights - NE Corner
Group:
Registered Users
If you want to make your thoughts know you should go the meeting next Thursday:

Scroll up this thread for a link to the study's website.

If you live in JC and stray farther than a block from your home, this may be of interest.

Posted on: 2009/1/21 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RiverRat wrote:
Amen ExUWSguy!

The 87 is really poorly managed. There should be a lot more buses in general, especially the evenings. I gave up on it when the light rail opened up, but I live a lot closer to the 9th St stop than you do.

I think Hudson Co should rethink the entire system. The private bus lines operate at an almost criminal level, and NJT can't seem to be bothered to do anything other than what is absolutely necessary. If Healy or whoever is the next mayor want to really take this city to the next level, we need a real Hudson Co. wide transit agency that provides comprehensive bus service that is co-ordinated with PATH and HBLRT.

ONE fare card for the entire system allowing for FREE transfers within Hudson County. There needs to be frequent (10-15 min minimum) reliable service from 5 am to 1 am, and all night service (every 30 min.) for those of us who work the night shift.

If JC wants to be a forward looking city that can sustain large scale urban development this is just a basic first step.

Just curious how many years have you live in J.C. ? Great idea I myself would love to see this surface. But I seriously doubt it.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 22:51

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/25 11:02
Group:
Registered Users
Amen ExUWSguy!

The 87 is really poorly managed. There should be a lot more buses in general, especially the evenings. I gave up on it when the light rail opened up, but I live a lot closer to the 9th St stop than you do.

I think Hudson Co should rethink the entire system. The private bus lines operate at an almost criminal level, and NJT can't seem to be bothered to do anything other than what is absolutely necessary. If Healy or whoever is the next mayor want to really take this city to the next level, we need a real Hudson Co. wide transit agency that provides comprehensive bus service that is co-ordinated with PATH and HBLRT.

ONE fare card for the entire system allowing for FREE transfers within Hudson County. There needs to be frequent (10-15 min minimum) reliable service from 5 am to 1 am, and all night service (every 30 min.) for those of us who work the night shift.

If JC wants to be a forward looking city that can sustain large scale urban development this is just a basic first step.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 14:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights - NE Corner
Group:
Registered Users
1stStGuy wrote:
Quote:

Warned about Mountain Rd? What about it?

There is an increase of muggings on Mountain Road lately. There's an ongoing effort to get the '100 steps' stairway rebuilt as a straight shot alongside Mountain Rd from Ogden Ave to the Cliffs development. Until then the switchbacks offer concealment for muggers. I think the incident reports have been mirrored here on JClist.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 2:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with you, Vice, about the service going down Bergen. Even if the drivers see you, they won't stop. I have run for the bus and had the driver shut the door in my face. And when you get on, their attitude is horrible. I have only met with a couple who were friendly and helpful, otherwise, they are roundly hostile, or at best unresponsive. I never thought I would miss NYC transit so much. I thank the bus drivers when I'm taking transit in the City because I miss them and their service.

As for the scheduling, its obvious something has to be done. I live within a 10 minute walk of JSQ, so I can do it if the bus just won't show up, and mostly I make it to JSQ without a bus passing by. If it's late (or after 9) I always take a cab. I can't imagine what it's like for people who live further than I do, it must get very expensive.

Posted on: 2009/1/18 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ExUWSguy wrote:
The 2nd Street Light Rail is a 10 minute walk, although I have been warned about Mountain Road. 9th Street is 15 min. I don't mind the walk during the day, but the streets are SO empty at night (OK, I lived in Manhattan before and this takes getting used to).

Warned about Mountain Rd? What about it?

Posted on: 2009/1/18 21:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/20 23:56
From Bergen/Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I too am very disappointed with the poor bus service to and from our particular area. The 87 is jam packed heading from Journal Square to Gates and the condition of the interior is deplorable. At least they run more frequently than the Bergen Avenue buses. I wouldn't even call that line "service." I've waited on more than one occasion for 40 minutes to get to JSQ. If you are not standing close to the middle of the road, the driver will not stop. I guess I was naive thinking that standing right next to the bus stop sign does not mean one is waiting for the bus. Thankfully, I get dropped off at the JSQ PATH in the morning and in the evenings, I now take a taxi. Otherwise, the point of moving closer to NYC is moot considering the travel time. At this point, I am seriously considering bringing my car here and getting monthly parking at the station.

Posted on: 2009/1/17 15:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I'm at Sherman and Franklin - too bad, as the 87 stops practically at my corner on the way from Hoboken. The 2nd Street Light Rail is a 10 minute walk, although I have been warned about Mountain Road. 9th Street is 15 min. I don't mind the walk during the day, but the streets are SO empty at night (OK, I lived in Manhattan before and this takes getting used to).

Posted on: 2009/1/16 22:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
chocolate cake, not sure what time you're comuting, but anytime after 6 the 126 line is around the building! i know, b/c i take it every night. I've complained for more buses going down clinton/willow, and the woman was nice and said, we get a lot of calls for that, but they only increase buses quarterly. so who knows.
it really just depends on the time you commute. if you're lucky and can go in late, or leave early the 126 works, but if you're not east in the heights, yeah, you're screwed.
Perhaps i'll check out this meeting. in this 5 degree temp it would be nice to not have to walk so far in the cold!

Posted on: 2009/1/16 16:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/11 21:46
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Too true - and rather amusing, considering you can walk to uptown Hoboken in 15 minutes. However, not all of those half empty buses go through Hoboken. A good percentage of them go through downtown Jersey City. I think they might go through the Newport area although I wouldn't swear to it.

It is the residents of the JC Heights, Journal Square and Bergen-Layfayette areas who get screwed.

Posted on: 2009/1/16 15:36

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/27 22:17
Group:
Registered Users
Argh! I plan to attend that transportation meeting...it makes me angry to stand at the Hoboken bus terminal in the evenings and see, for every one #87 bus, at least five # 126 buses--and half of them leave empty, while there's often a line extending out from underneath the canopy for the #87! Come on, NJTransit--- I can't imagine that there's really that much of a call for the #126, but, because it serves Hoboken (where the money is) there is prompt service. We Jersey City riffraff evidently don't deserve the same level of service.

Posted on: 2009/1/16 2:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/11 21:46
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I have to agree. Althoughthe southbound (JSQ/Gates Ave) #87 runs well, during rush hour the Hoboken bound ones run four in a row every twenty minutes instead of one every 6 to 10 - and they don't always stop to pick up passengers, either. Kind of negates the advantage of the 15 minute HOB-33rd Street ride.

The 99S/10 is horrible, too, especially the Jersey bound evening ones. on the eastern end of the Heights are the Bergenline Avenue-Newport Mall vans. (Even the vans to New York suck although in all fairness to them, I think there are only two.

While the #123 (or is it 124?) does stay onschedule, there aren't many of them, either. The only thing on wheels that runs well on the eastern end of the Heights are the Bergenline Ave-palisades-JSQ-Newport Mall vans.

When I lived on Palisade near Franklin, I biked back and forth to Hoboken via Moutain Road. After dark, I'd bike to the 9th Street-Congress Avenue Light Rail Station and take the elevator up.

I don't know hwo you hould complainto. Neither Coach USA or NJ Transit gives a damn.

Posted on: 2009/1/15 22:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights - NE Corner
Group:
Registered Users
Bus service is a bit of a hot topic in The Heights. There's a study just winding down specifically about bus service. There were input sessions in various neighborhoods a month or so ago. You can still respond via e-mail.

In the longer term there's the Jersey City Mobility 2050 Project which has its second public input session coming up on the 1/29 at city hall.

Let me know if you'd like more info.

Posted on: 2009/1/15 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
the service is a joke. where in the heights do you live? i don't even bother w/ jc buses, instead i walk right past the light rail into hoboken (9th street elevator) i walk up to clinton & 9th and get that bus. its pretty reliable and fast since you sneak in the tunnel the back way.

depending on where you live, that could be an option. if i don't do that i just take the light rail to the hoboken path. it would be great to have a bus that goes down the 14th street aqueduct right into the tunnel. perhaps there is? well, i mean, it would be great to have a RELIABLE bus that goes down the 14th street aqueduct, i doubt there is.

Posted on: 2009/1/15 18:28

NJT Busses - Nearly (a) Joke (on) Transit?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I read with interest the posts on the new PATH trains - especially the enthusiastic endorsement by PATH and State officials. Good mass transit is indeed crucial to exciting, growing, and liveable urban areas, and I for one am looking forward to an improved PATH. Which brings me to New Jersey Transit and its busses...

I live in the Heights, and usually take the 87 bus to and from the PATH (although having discovered the Light Rail is "only" a 10 to 15 minute walk, I am hoping to avoid the bus). In my experience the service on the 87 (regularly waiting 20 minutes for busses scheduled to run every 6-10 minutes), as well as the Red & Tan 99/10S (which seems to come whenever the driver is in the mood, regardless of the posted schedule), is ERRATIC AND UNRELIABLE!

Anyone else have experiences to share on NJT bus service in JC? Suggestions for what to do, who to write to, etc., to get some improvements?

Posted on: 2009/1/15 18:09

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017