Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Schundler drops mayoral bid
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/16 19:10
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Quote:

Jeebus wrote:
[...]

I'm sure that there are many other candidates but how many have done anything but leech off of taxpayer money their whole life?

I would include Schundler in that group of "candidates ...(who)leech off of taxpayer money".

Go the site of my sig to find out why Schundler's just like all you Republican/Libertarians who talk the talk, but don't walk the walk, just like BushWhack & his ilk who bled our economy dry during the last 8 years running up the greatest deficit this country has ever known while left a surplus.

Republicans/Libertarians leech off both the corporate/institutional tit as well as the taxpayer.

Good riddance to Schundler's candidacy!

I don't want to get into an all out political fight over this, but its not only the Republicans/Libertarians "leeching off both the corporate/institutional tit." All politicians are doing us wrong.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
Be nice to Bret. It's a hard thing crossing the River Styx to political oblivion.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Bret Schundler drops out of Jersey City mayoral race

by Agustin Torres/The Jersey Journal
Monday January 12, 2009, 9:00 PM

Former Jersey City Mayor Bret Schundler announced today he would give up his quest for a return to City Hall.

In an e-mail to campaign contributors, Schundler blamed the nation's economic crisis for having a negative impact on his investment portfolio and forcing him from the May municipal race.

"This will make it impossible for me to run," Schundler wrote in his e-mail. "I had planned to campaign full-time this Spring and to pay my family's mortgage and my children's tuition bills out of investment savings. Instead, I will need to work full-time at an income-earning job to pay those mortgages and tuition bills."

The former mayor said he will attempt to refund contributors to his campaign.

This leaves the incumbent Jerramiah Healy, former Assemblyman Louis Manzo, ex-City Council President L. Harvey Smith, and Downtown activist Daniel Levin as mayoral candidates.

In The Jersey Journal's Saturday political column, The Political Insider reported that Schundler's run for mayor would probably end.

Schundler, a Republican who won the first of three terms as mayor in 1992, found it difficult to attract running mates and campaign financing this time around, according to city sources.

With Downtown Councilman Steven Fulop and Schundler fishing for votes from the same pool of voters, Fulop declared last month that he was out of the mayoral race.

Now Schundler backers face limited choices for mayor. They are not likely to support Healy. If they do not sit out the election, Manzo appears to be the chief beneficiary, according to several political observers.

In his e-mail message, Schundler revealed that since mid-October to just before Thanksgiving, he has managed to raise $200,000 in campaign contributions and he expects to return most of the donations.

By comparison, Healy's war chest is at least $1 million and Manzo expects to raise more than double what Schundler raised.

Here is the full text of Schundler's letter:

"I will not be running to become Jersey City's Mayor this year.

Our nation's economic crisis caused the value of several long-term investments of mine to plummet. I had been hoping these investments would bounce back, but they have continued to fall, and I have now been forced to sell them at a loss.

This will make it impossible for me to run for mayor this year. I had planned to campaign full-time this Spring and to pay my family's mortgage and my children's tuition bills out of invested savings. Instead, I will need to work full-time at an income-earning job to pay those mortgage and tuition bills. From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank you for your encouragement and support this past year. In the five weeks from mid-October to just before Thanksgiving, we raised almost $200,000 in campaign contributions. We had a great start, and I do believe we could have won this election were I able to fund raise and campaign full-time this Spring. Unfortunately, that is no longer an option. One positive bit of news: we have not spent much of the money that the campaign raised. Accordingly, we will be providing a very large percentage refund to everyone who contributed. I love Jersey City, and I will do what I can to benefit it, but I have a responsibility to provide for my family. The reality now is that I need to be working full-time at an income-earning job. I hope you will understand."

Wow, my heart goes out to Bret, he can't sit back and pay his bills from his investment account...WO IS ME.... and now has to actually go and work for a living.... WO IS ME...

Join the ranks of your constituents who have to get their asses out of bed every morning rain or shine to earn a living...

I can't believe He actually put something like that in an e-mail???

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Posted on: 2009/1/13 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Bret Schundler drops out of Jersey City mayoral race

by Agustin Torres/The Jersey Journal
Monday January 12, 2009, 9:00 PM

Former Jersey City Mayor Bret Schundler announced today he would give up his quest for a return to City Hall.

In an e-mail to campaign contributors, Schundler blamed the nation's economic crisis for having a negative impact on his investment portfolio and forcing him from the May municipal race.

"This will make it impossible for me to run," Schundler wrote in his e-mail. "I had planned to campaign full-time this Spring and to pay my family's mortgage and my children's tuition bills out of investment savings. Instead, I will need to work full-time at an income-earning job to pay those mortgages and tuition bills."

The former mayor said he will attempt to refund contributors to his campaign.

This leaves the incumbent Jerramiah Healy, former Assemblyman Louis Manzo, ex-City Council President L. Harvey Smith, and Downtown activist Daniel Levin as mayoral candidates.

In The Jersey Journal's Saturday political column, The Political Insider reported that Schundler's run for mayor would probably end.

Schundler, a Republican who won the first of three terms as mayor in 1992, found it difficult to attract running mates and campaign financing this time around, according to city sources.

With Downtown Councilman Steven Fulop and Schundler fishing for votes from the same pool of voters, Fulop declared last month that he was out of the mayoral race.

Now Schundler backers face limited choices for mayor. They are not likely to support Healy. If they do not sit out the election, Manzo appears to be the chief beneficiary, according to several political observers.

In his e-mail message, Schundler revealed that since mid-October to just before Thanksgiving, he has managed to raise $200,000 in campaign contributions and he expects to return most of the donations.

By comparison, Healy's war chest is at least $1 million and Manzo expects to raise more than double what Schundler raised.

Here is the full text of Schundler's letter:

"I will not be running to become Jersey City's Mayor this year.

Our nation's economic crisis caused the value of several long-term investments of mine to plummet. I had been hoping these investments would bounce back, but they have continued to fall, and I have now been forced to sell them at a loss.

This will make it impossible for me to run for mayor this year. I had planned to campaign full-time this Spring and to pay my family's mortgage and my children's tuition bills out of invested savings. Instead, I will need to work full-time at an income-earning job to pay those mortgage and tuition bills. From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank you for your encouragement and support this past year. In the five weeks from mid-October to just before Thanksgiving, we raised almost $200,000 in campaign contributions. We had a great start, and I do believe we could have won this election were I able to fund raise and campaign full-time this Spring. Unfortunately, that is no longer an option. One positive bit of news: we have not spent much of the money that the campaign raised. Accordingly, we will be providing a very large percentage refund to everyone who contributed. I love Jersey City, and I will do what I can to benefit it, but I have a responsibility to provide for my family. The reality now is that I need to be working full-time at an income-earning job. I hope you will understand."

Posted on: 2009/1/13 5:49
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jeebus wrote:
[...]

I'm sure that there are many other candidates but how many have done anything but leech off of taxpayer money their whole life?

I would include Schundler in that group of "candidates ...(who)leech off of taxpayer money".

Go the site of my sig to find out why Schundler's just like all you Republican/Libertarians who talk the talk, but don't walk the walk, just like BushWhack & his ilk who bled our economy dry during the last 8 years running up the greatest deficit this country has ever known while left a surplus.

Republicans/Libertarians leech off both the corporate/institutional tit as well as the taxpayer.

Good riddance to Schundler's candidacy!

Posted on: 2009/1/13 4:52
Resized Image

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:12
Group:
Registered Users
I would run but the Pope won't allow it.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
It's too bad that someone who has made his money in the productive private sector has been hit bad and can't take the risk of running for mayor. It's great that he's doing the right thing and returning contributions. Many politicians just keep the money for a future run so he's a stand up guy.

Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:

Don't worry Jenny, there are already announced plenty of other Mayoral candidates and more to come, viable and not.

I won't have a pity party for Schundler's loss though.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCNewJersey wrote:
Bright -

Just curious, why do you dislike Schundler so much?

Read the ENTIRE link in my sig for a beginning of "why". Then do a search here on the several Schundler threads for more info. Then do a keyword search using "schundler" and read those posts. At that point you will have a nascent understanding of "why".

Personally, he is an affable "fellow". I know lots of "affable fellows" (our current Mayor for instance) that I would not vote for to support as Mayor.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 3:13
Resized Image

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/24 1:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I will not be running to become Jersey City's Mayor this year.

Maybe he invested with Bernie Madoff.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 2:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/7 16:42
Group:
Registered Users
Bright -

Just curious, why do you dislike Schundler so much?

Posted on: 2009/1/13 2:37

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:12
Group:
Registered Users
My prayers have been answered.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 2:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
It's 2005 all over again

Posted on: 2009/1/13 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
I think this is a shame. Regardless of how you feel about a particular candidate, I think it is important that we have choices and viable options on Election Day. Having Schundler in the running would have guaranteed spirited debate and discussion.

It also drives home how hardcore the current economic situation is and the distribution of damage.

Don't worry Jenny, there are already announced plenty of other Mayoral candidates and more to come, viable and not.

I won't have a pity party for Schundler's loss though.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 1:26
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
I think this is a shame. Regardless of how you feel about a particular candidate, I think it is important that we have choices and viable options on Election Day. Having Schundler in the running would have guaranteed spirited debate and discussion.

It also drives home how hardcore the current economic situation is and the distribution of damage.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 1:16

Schundler drops mayoral bid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Thanks to Pink for the Good News!

Ding dong the witch is dead...

January 12, 2009 - 4:26pm

Schundler drops mayoral bid

By Editor

Bret Schundler says he will not seek a return to the Jersey City mayoral post he held from 1992 to 2001, saying the nation's economic downturn has caused some of his long-term investments to plummet. Schundler says he needs to work full-time and can't afford to seek public office this year.

Schundler gave up the post to seek the GOP nomination for Governor eight years ago.

The full text of Schundler's statement is as follows:

I will not be running to become Jersey City's Mayor this year.

This will make it impossible for me to run for mayor this year. I had planned to campaign full-time this Spring and to pay my family's mortgage and my children's tuition bills out of invested savings. Instead, I will need to work full-time at an income-earning job to pay those mortgage and tuition bills.

From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank you for your encouragement and support this past year. In the five weeks from mid-October to just before Thanksgiving, we raised almost $200,000 in campaign contributions. We had a great start, and I do believe we could have won this election were I able to fundraise and campaign full-time this Spring. Unfortunately, that is no longer an option.

One positive bit of news: we have not spent much of the money that the campaign raised. Accordingly, we will be providing a very large percentage refund to everyone who contri buted.

I love Jersey City, and I will do what I can to benefit it, but I have a responsibility to provide for my family. The reality now is that I need to be working full-time at an income-earning job. I hope you will understand.

Editor can be reached via email at editor@politicsnj.com.