Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: What the hell just happened on Erie Street?!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
just after midnight last night, a large group of teenagers made their way down Erie, towards Newark, screaming and breaking bottles. is it church dance season already?

Posted on: 2009/9/26 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
I was told that this was brought up at the Harsimus Cove neighborhood Association meeting (www.harsimuscove.org) and the following meeting, the church minister came to meet with angry residents. Unfortunately, none of the residents came to the meeting. However, I understand that the President was able to discuss their concerns. Summer is coming soon, so I'd suggest to start attending these neighborhood association meetings to be prepared.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yahoo wrote:
This has been going on for years. When are you going to get the picture that the politicos don't care about your problem with the church and the hordes of miscreants that it brings to the neighborhood.?

I don't think that's true, I don't think anyone has even written to Fulop the Mayor, police ect. There certainly has not been an organized movement against the situation. When are you gonna "Get it" Yahoo? You are one of the people in this city that just rolls over and says "Oh well, that the way it's always been so it will never change" thats just depressing and lazy!

Posted on: 2009/4/26 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
What the hell is wrong with this church?

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Maybe Matthew and Sarah Jessica can host the next party at their Manhattan Brownstone?

Funny!

Posted on: 2009/4/26 19:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Maybe Matthew and Sarah Jessica can host the next party at their Manhattan Brownstone?

Absolutely that would be fabulous! Terrific!

Posted on: 2009/4/26 18:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/12 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Think the church must have had another party last night. There were a groups of teenager acting drunk with red solo cups down my block, I assume full of some alcohol beverage. I f.&@&@ing hate these parties and now I am dealing with an angry fianc? because I confronted one of these groups.
What happened to the petition. I could probably whip out an out emailing site like the fix my path site am spam the crap out of the politicos.
o

This has been going on for years. When are you going to get the picture that the politicos don't care about your problem with the church and the hordes of miscreants that it brings to the neighborhood.?

Posted on: 2009/4/26 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Think the church must have had another party last night. There were a groups of teenager acting drunk with red solo cups down my block, I assume full of some alcohol beverage. I f.&@&@ing hate these parties and now I am dealing with an angry fianc? because I confronted one of these groups.
What happened to the petition. I could probably whip out an out emailing site like the fix my path site am spam the crap out of the politicos.

Posted on: 2009/4/26 11:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/3/23 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neighborJC wrote:
A petition is in the works - you will be hearing about one soon. We would need all the support possible and as you rightly pointed out the the mayor and Fulop and others will be cc'ed on this.

I think having a dedicated website up might be a bit too much coordination at this point but nevertheless a great idea.

Let's try and get something going for now and everyone's support in this would be helpful.

fyi: i hear a new pastor will replace Rev Broderick.

That is great news!! We should all get behind this and keep it as a hot issue, it's just so blatantly negligent on the part of the Church! It's total blasphamy as far as I'm concerned and I would encourage everyone to do whatever it takes to stop the thug life parties. I bet the kids don't even give a s*it about the church at all...and more than likely make fun of the whole idea of religion and will never be "Converted" or whatever else the church thinks it can achieve, if in fact, it even really has that goal in it's heart.
The church suggests that the members of the community meet with them face to face about this issue, I say that the responsibility lies with the Church to display sensitivity to the community on this issue not with the citizens to confront the church.
In my view the community would be better without the church all together if these parties are a condition of it's continued existence.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Perhaps there needs to be some kind of 'disturbance' of their Sunday morning services after one of the Saturday night 'gatherings'.....

I leave the rest up to you....

Posted on: 2009/3/23 2:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/25 23:13
Group:
Registered Users
A petition is in the works - you will be hearing about one soon. We would need all the support possible and as you rightly pointed out the the mayor and Fulop and others will be cc'ed on this.

I think having a dedicated website up might be a bit too much coordination at this point but nevertheless a great idea.

Let's try and get something going for now and everyone's support in this would be helpful.

fyi: i hear a new pastor will replace Rev Broderick.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ECH wrote:
The precinct is saying that they cannot move toward
shutting this party scene down until enuf
neighbors petition the church to stop renting.
The police have said that their Biggest Problem
on Saturday nights downtown is Grace Church.
Not such good publicity for the church.

Who knows how to effectively petition the church? Maybe we should try to set-up a website that will allow people to enter their info and email a pre-written letter to the church and "CC" Fulop and the Mayor. This shouldn't be too hard to do. We could even create a paypal account that everyone could donate to in order to pay the website developer. Maybe Fulop himself could set it up similar to the PATH website, it is an election year after all.

Posted on: 2009/3/22 23:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
hudsonhorizons,

you can now enjoy your very own YOUTH program in the comfort of your own home.

1) turn your favorite station on.
2) turn bass on amp to full.
3) hold speaker near ear.
4) turn volume on full.
5) enjoy the youth program by your very own Grace for the next 5 hours.

Thank you Grace for making our Saturday nights so entertaining and consistently wasting JCPD time and taxpayer money.

Grace , wake up , you actually have some very pissed off neighbors.

happy weekends. :)

Posted on: 2009/3/22 6:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
The precinct is saying that they cannot move toward
shutting this party scene down until enuf
neighbors petition the church to stop renting.
The police have said that their Biggest Problem
on Saturday nights downtown is Grace Church.
Not such good publicity for the church.

If the leadership at the church does not
comply with the needs of the neighborhood,
then we will have to go to the diocese directly.
Surely some bishop or other will listen to
reason.

Twenty years ago we shut down Rev.
Scott's loud, out-of-control and
dangerous party scene. We can do it again.
And being that taxpayers foot the bill
for almost every one of the "programs"
that the church claims as its own,
we have a LOT of say in this matter.

Posted on: 2009/3/11 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
As a liberal, I must say this is liberalism gone wrong. Well intentioned but not well thought out.

Posted on: 2009/3/11 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
We live in a country where government at all levels seem to take the approach of closing the barn door after the horse is out.

It seems that it is going to take a tragedy to stop these parties at Grace Church.............and then everyone will talk about how nobody listened to the people in the neighborhood, but nobody will really be held accountable.

Posted on: 2009/3/11 15:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/8 1:15
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/3/11 2:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/27 23:58
Group:
Registered Users
@ hudsonhorizons:

your "ivory tower" comment doesn't address the real issue, that is:

1)what steps has grace van vorst done to take steps to remedy neighbors concerns? apparently,very little, or not enough, because the same concerns are being aired repeatedly, to no avail.
arguably, if the party in question weren't Grace church, but a private citizen, neighbors could/would have had complaints made to authorities (or to NID) and charges/tickets would have been issued.

2) While there may be some kids from the neighborhood who attend these parties, the majority are not from the immediate neighborhood, and this is by Grace Van Vorst's own admission--
i.e. their letter to neighbors posted on this site after the gun shooting incident noted, indeed bragged, that the parties were marketed to youth (and I use that term loosely--several are 18, 19, and above) "from schools all over the city": Dickenson, Snyder, Lincoln, Create, etc.
Moreover, most of those attending leave the area by car and via the light rail and or/walk toward Newark Ave.and the PATH. So, no, to imply that these parties are geared primarily to Grace's neighbors (including the Manila Projects) is simply not true.

And to imply that neighbors complaining about this are somehow elitist and undeserving of a remedy gets Grace Van Vorst and its management off the hook for the type of behavior that any other private citizen would not have gotten away with thus far.

Posted on: 2009/3/11 1:07

Re: Grace Church on Erie , are you deaf ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
Don't worry Healy has violence and crime under controls, his statistics say so.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 23:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
What time do the Saturday Night parties usually finish. I have kids, so I'm usually not out on Saturday night, but we were driving home at about 11:30/midnight, and we saw a lot of big crowds of hoodlum looking kids on Manila Ave and all around.

We were trying to figure out where they were coming from. We thought it might have been a St. Anthony's game, but now I'm thinking it might be the kids that a lot of people are complaining about.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 15:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/29 3:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neighborJC wrote:
Property taxes have gone through the roof. 1/3 of the cities budget is paid for by real estate taxes. What do we get.? We get to experience a wonderful party every Saturday night at 38 Erie street, b/w 2nd and 3rd streets, Jersey City , hosted by our understanding friends at Grace Church.

This so called 'helping the youth' weekend party attracts a huge crowd to go with the extremely loud music. Leaving people like myself feeling unsafe to leave my apartment at times or walk the streets.

Perhaps our tax-exempt inconsiderate neighborhood church needs to take care of its neighbors first and turn down the volume or let the neighborhood churches be responsible for keeping these kids off the streets. ( these kids do not live in the area)

The noise levels including the thumping bass is unacceptable for a residential area - not to mention the many rowdy kids that party away till way past midnight as the music gets louder and louder.

Grace is deaf and doesn't listen.

Your thoughts ??

Thanks!
3rd and Erie neighbor.

Don't forget about the assortment of cheap vodka bottles spread out around the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neighborJC wrote:
Property taxes have gone through the roof. 1/3 of the cities budget is paid for by real estate taxes. What do we get.? We get to experience a wonderful party every Saturday night at 38 Erie street, b/w 2nd and 3rd streets, Jersey City , hosted by our understanding friends at Grace Church.

This so called 'helping the youth' weekend party attracts a huge crowd to go with the extremely loud music. Leaving people like myself feeling unsafe to leave my apartment at times or walk the streets.

Perhaps our tax-exempt inconsiderate neighborhood church needs to take care of its neighbors first and turn down the volume or let the neighborhood churches be responsible for keeping these kids off the streets. ( these kids do not live in the area)

The noise levels including the thumping bass is unacceptable for a residential area - not to mention the many rowdy kids that party away till way past midnight as the music gets louder and louder.

Your thoughts ??

Thanks!
3rd and Erie neighbor.

I suggest you attend the next Captain's meeting and bring up this issue. It's an excellent forum to bring issues to the attention of people that can do something about them.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 14:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/30 1:35
Group:
Banned
Quote:

neighborJC wrote:
( these kids do not live in the area)

Because you checked their papers, right? Or because "they" couldn't possibly afford to live in the area you do?

Newsflash: you live one block from the public assisted housing on Manila Ave (that encompasses four city blocks). And that's just for starters.

People fed up with Grace Van Vorst would get more sympathy for their plight if they didn't continually throw out this bogus ivory tower nonsense.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 4:08

Grace Church on Erie , are you deaf ?

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Your thoughts ??

Thanks!
3rd and Erie neighbor.

Posted on: 2009/3/10 3:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What is there to ?negotiate?, exactly? The parties are being held past midnight, in a residential neighborhood, and these partygoers are creating chaos. Why would ?meeting face-to-face? mean neighbors would be more ?okay? with any of the havoc and violence stemming from these parties?
And just because the church has been renting out the hall for ?at least the past 24 years,? doesn?t mean it rents out the hall willy-nilly. . .Grace Church is now on notice that for the past several of these particular youth parties, there have been serious safety and security issues for the neighborhood (not to mention the partygoers.)
Nor does the fact that Grace has been renting their hall for ?at least the past 24 years? address the question of whether financial motivations are affecting judgment and driving the church?s decision to allow these particular parties, and to skimp on security, etc. If indeed the neighborhood has changed (yeah, it?s become more gentrified in the past decades), that still doesn?t mean the church is absolved of its duty to screen rentees.
Because in the face of firearms, vandalism, robbery, violence and general chaos at these parties/aftermath, the church still has done nothing markedly different. Actually, what exactly has the church done? Changed the late hours? No. Hired more security / more follow up supervision? Apparently not. Changed the venue to a non-residential place? Nope.
Moreover, why is it the neighbors? responsibility, rather than the church?s, to provide supervision and security at a party being held past midnight? If the church is renting out the hall, then use the money to provide for this.
Saradove, the only parties ?wreaking havoc? here are these Grace-Church sponsored ones. And if you?re gonna analogize, it could be argued that like Bush?s administration, when all is said and done, it seems Grace Church is gonna do whatever they?re gonna do--- the ramifications on the neighbors be damned.
As for chiding neighbors for posting (admonishing them for expressing "anger" on a website), a community internet forum isn?t the place to air concerns? Seriously? Are you suggesting that neighbors now squelch their first amendment rights so the church doesn?t get its feelings hurt, or incur negative publicity? Gee, maybe the comparisons of Grace Church and Bush aren?t so far-fetched, afterall.

Posted on: 2008/12/29 15:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/2 3:08
From Jersey Ave
Group:
Registered Users
Grace Church Van Vorst has been renting out their parish hall for at least the past 24 years ... the neighborhood & the people who live in it have changed a lot in those years.

Instead of letting your anger explode here on the board, it would be so much better to sit down & TALK .. negotiate. (You know, kind of like what President Bush DIDN'T do before he started wreaking havoc these past eight years).

Anyway, those concerned could call the church & set up an appointment with the rectors & vestry. For Pete's sake ... talk face to face, please!

Saradove

Posted on: 2008/12/29 6:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
think that neighbors have made concerns rather clear on these posts: the lateness (an hour past midnight!?); the number of "youth"--many who are around 18 or older; the gunshots; vandalism; fights; robbery of a neighborhood deli ensuing right after these gatherings, etc.
yet, despite the airing of these concerns, nothing has apparently changed--this turning of a deaf ear to repeated neighborhood concerns says more to Grace Church's neighbors than any invite to a formal meeting does, and suggests an arrogance on the pastor's part.
again, what percentage of these youth are actually from the neighborhood--i'd venture the majority are not from the neighborhood the church serves.
..moreover, would like to know how much money the church is getting each time it rents out the hall for these parties..how much do these now monthly outreach parties that began in the past year allow the church to be in line to get lucrative grants from city, county coffers and national programs?
According to news articles, the current reverend (whom I do not know personally) was accused by her former employer of fiscal impropriety/mismanagement. don't know how the case was eventually resolved, but before attributing simplyl altruistic motives to the church, would like to know how much of the decision to have these parties is financially motivated vs. pure altruism? Even if, giving the benefit of the doubt, it's the latter, being a bad neighbor is shortsighted and is far from being altruistic.

Posted on: 2008/12/29 3:51

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/19 1:12
Group:
Registered Users
After reading this thread, i first wanted to commend the church for their efforts in trying to make a positive difference in their neighborhood and with our youth. Very few people are willing to step up to the plate and actually do something to make a difference in their community. Obviously they have. That should be respected.

Now, as stated, there is a major problem with the large number of kids leaving the party which is impacting the safety of the kids at the party and the residents in the neighborhood. Seems like there are many constructive thoughts on the board, yet noone has showed up to their invites to discuss. I would bet that if enough people show up to discuss, you could all find a solution that benefits everyone.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
there's a loud crowd of kids yelling their way down Erie right now, at 12:45am. car doors slamming. bottles breaking. radios blaring.

and a merry Christmas to you too, Grace Van Vorst!

xo
your delighted neighbors

Posted on: 2008/12/28 5:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think I will just head down to 3rd and Erie and videotape the aftermath of the next meeting... maybe send a copy or two to the appropriate politicians and news agencies.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 0:29

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017