Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: He's Back! Manzo running for Mayor - hopes the fifth time's the charm.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/15 1:47
Group:
Registered Users
Calm down big guy. If you have a passion for Schundler thats great. However, you need to give him some money to run because he has none. In addition, if he does obtain some money to run wouldn't it be proper to pay off the $180,000.00 he still owes from his prior Gubernatorial campaign. I have read that the special interests and firms that had loaned his previous Gubernatorial campaign the $ 180,000.00 don't even want their money back. HMMMMM, wonder why, does "pay to play" ring a bell. Sorry, just thinking out loud. Oh, by the way has Schundler found anyone that will run for council with him?

Posted on: 2008/12/24 0:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/14 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Manzo has run and lost 4 times. He's going to lose this time also and lose badly, bank on it. He's turned himself into a laughingstock with this never ending, hopeless fixation on becoming mayor of Jersey City. Fulop can only damage his future prospects by associating himself with something so ridiculous. Fulop should show some real backbone and prove he can cross party lines to endorse a good government candidate with a proven record and get behind Schundler.

Posted on: 2008/12/23 23:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/15 1:47
Group:
Registered Users
Mr. Rogers, you wrote:
Lou Manzo would have made a better State Senator than Sandy Cunningham,his wonkishness is best suited to trenton.Those same attributes may not be best displayed as Mayor.

1) Yes I agree, Louis Manzo would have made a better State Senator than Sandy Cunningham, and Louis Manzo would certainly make a better Mayor than Jerry Healy.

2) I disagree with you that the attributes Louis Manzo displayed in the Assembly would not be translate into a succesfull Mayoral term.

Furthermore, Louis Manzo seems to have a work ethic and a commitment to Jersey City, and HE IS SOBER. Jerry Healy has been an embarrasment to our city and hopefully he will be removed by the voters.

Posted on: 2008/12/23 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
What is the Rush to jump on board the Manzo bandwagon.
The file date to run is three months away.Many more people may consider getting in the race.

Brewster makes an excellent point.Steve fulop has plenty of time to evaluate Manzo's platform along with whomever else decides to get in.

Lou Manzo would have made a better State Senator than Sandy Cunningham,his wonkishness is best suited to trenton.Those same attributes may not be best displayed as Mayor.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 22:06

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/20 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster, while I do understand what your saying, I must take pause. As other writers on this thread have indicated, Councilman Fulop had endorsed Lou Manzo for State Senate two years ago. I don't think Councilman Fulop can look at Manzo as "the least smelly" as you say in your post, this in itself would not pass the "sniff test" as demonstrated by his past endorsement of Manzo for State Senate. The question which would come to my mind would be: What has Lou Manzo done over the past two years not to receive Councilman Fulop's support?

Some posters criticize the posting of political stickers as a reason not to vote for Lou Manzo, I don't agree with this, while I certainly don't like this type of politicking it has been the nature of politics in Hudson County. I would definitely like to see this type of street politics go away but it is as they say the "nature of the beast". But, with this said, this is hardly a reason to discount Louis Manzo from consideration if he was a good legislator, as it appears he was.

I am by no means a committed Louis Manzo supporter, but I certainly am going to give him fair consideration, because at this time nobody has shown me a reason I shouldn't consider him as our Mayor.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

samual wrote:
To Mr. Rogers, Refer Post #22. In regard to your response to JManny's post. If Steve Fulop has a target on his back from the Healy organization, as you say, wouldn't it be a good thing for Councilman Fulop to join up with Manzo as J Manny suggested? You are not really suggesting that Councilman Fulop would have supported "Frank the Pizza Man" for State Senate are you? I, like JManny have also googled Assemblyman Manzo and found that his colleague's in the Assembly had held Lou Manzo's legislative office in high regard during Manzo's tenure in Trenton. I personally thought Councilman Fulop would have made a great Mayor, and someday he may very well take that opportunity. I was deeply disappointed when he decided not to run as were many of my friends. However, with all that being said, I personally would like to see Councilman Fulop evaluate the Candidates and take a stand and support the best Candidate he feels can lead Jersey City into the future. We cannot leave Jersey City to the group that is leading us now. I would hope that Councilman Fulop realizes that a lot of us downtown look to him for leadership, and would like to see him support someone for the future. I think an independent run by Councilman Fulop would indicate that he believes that there is no candidate that is better than "Jerry Healy", and I, like many of my neighbors know that this is just not so. And, Councilman Fulop chooses not to support a Mayoral candidate this will only help Jerry Healy win the Mayoral election. And that would be a shame.

Tough issue you raise in a well reasoned and written post. (God I'm tired of reading gibberish and word vomit on JCList).

While I agree, and have said here many times, that you hold your nose and vote for the least bad candidate if there isn't one you like, there's a difference between a voter doing that and an officeholder endorsing the least bad as he sees it. An endorsement means the stink of that "least smelly" candidate will rub off on him, and should he win Fulop will smell of that candidate's foul deeds in office the next election, and should he lose, fulop would be connected with a loser, and that loser's reasons for losing. There's plenty of reason for caution.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 19:31

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/20 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
To Mr. Rogers, Refer Post #22. In regard to your response to JManny's post. If Steve Fulop has a target on his back from the Healy organization, as you say, wouldn't it be a good thing for Councilman Fulop to join up with Manzo as J Manny suggested? You are not really suggesting that Councilman Fulop would have supported "Frank the Pizza Man" for State Senate are you? I, like JManny have also googled Assemblyman Manzo and found that his colleague's in the Assembly had held Lou Manzo's legislative office in high regard during Manzo's tenure in Trenton. I personally thought Councilman Fulop would have made a great Mayor, and someday he may very well take that opportunity. I was deeply disappointed when he decided not to run as were many of my friends. However, with all that being said, I personally would like to see Councilman Fulop evaluate the Candidates and take a stand and support the best Candidate he feels can lead Jersey City into the future. We cannot leave Jersey City to the group that is leading us now. I would hope that Councilman Fulop realizes that a lot of us downtown look to him for leadership, and would like to see him support someone for the future. I think an independent run by Councilman Fulop would indicate that he believes that there is no candidate that is better than "Jerry Healy", and I, like many of my neighbors know that this is just not so. And, Councilman Fulop chooses not to support a Mayoral candidate this will only help Jerry Healy win the Mayoral election. And that would be a shame.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 17:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
People pay what they ask, people living in public housing are just as important as people living on the waterfront. But why would anyone care about city hall if you don't support city hall? More people vote for the president than they do for mayor in JC because if you have a job you pay income tax. People always care about the spending of public tax dollars.
Yvonne

Posted on: 2008/12/19 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tqwert2 wrote:
Quote:

I'm kinda for the income tax. It's the only way to raise tax money from the wealthiest segment of the JC population, those living in abated new developments. Properly designed, to be offset by a residential property tax drop, it could be revenue neutral for most small property owners.

The wealthiest segment of the population will leave Jersey City en masse if they impose an income tax, so good luck with that.

Not likely. Prices and cost of living are still a deal compared to NYC, where you would also pay state and city income tax.

If revenue needs to be raised, you can't exclude the wealthy because they'll complain the loudest or treat an entire segment with kid gloves because they threaten to leave. Catering to that kind of blackmail has been a disaster for NY and corporations that extract favors for staying.

Maybe if there was an income tax the "Gold Coast" dwellers might actually take an interest in local politics and vote.

Posted on: 2008/12/19 19:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I'm kinda for the income tax. It's the only way to raise tax money from the wealthiest segment of the JC population, those living in abated new developments. Properly designed, to be offset by a residential property tax drop, it could be revenue neutral for most small property owners.

The wealthiest segment of the population will leave Jersey City en masse if they impose an income tax, so good luck with that.

Posted on: 2008/12/19 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for clearing some of that up. I was completely ignorant to rent control in JC, I had to look it up. I think i may have been able to complain legitimately about yearly increases i paid had i known about this!

And I didnt know that schools never realized any PILOT revenues: http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... xes_plan_to_share_ab.html

Posted on: 2008/12/19 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Wow, this is running off the rails into misinformation.

*Rent control affects 5 UNITS and over, not 5 FLOORS.

*PILOTS (payments in lieu of taxes) paid by abated properties are paid to the city, with nothing going to the county and the schools. This is why the both the city and developers like them, the developers get to pay less and have no possibility of unexpectedly raised taxes, and city gets more relative to what they would get otherwise.

*An 18% tax hike does not translate into 18% increase in overall landlord expenses. Typically it would be around 3-5%, for example if $8k taxes rose to $10k, and the landlord has another $40k in debt service and utilities.

*Hoboken is now at the "pants around the ankles" stage, the cover up and book cooking is over. I wouldn't bet a dime against JC being there soon.

Posted on: 2008/12/19 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I just want to correct a statement-People living in 5 or more stories, except new construction, is under rent control. Rent control sets the standard each year on how much taxes can be passed on to tenants. For example, in 2005, when the city gave property owners a 18% tax increase, rent-control tenants could only receive a 4% rent increase.
Also, the tax agreement between the housing authority and city states the city can collect 10% each year for taxes. However, the housing authority can deduct water and utilities from the 10%. The city stopped receiving money from the housing authority since the late 1960's. This is why I am a believer in a city income tax. Good people from various parts of the city work, pay taxes to the state and feds but contribute nothing to Jersey City. Only the small homeowner (1-4 families) support the city, schools, and county. If you don't support the city, you are indifferent to political corruption because you don't pay.
Yvonne

I was not able to decipher much of your correction.

-I have lived in 3 different high rise buildings in JC, each one over 5 stories tall. 2 of these buildings were NOT new construction and were NOT under rent control so i am not sure what you mean by your disorienting opening "sentence".

-Trying to stitch together your points above...are you saying that people in housing authority buildings dont contribute to JC taxes and therefore are indifferent to political corruption?

Posted on: 2008/12/19 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmanny wrote:
This question for Mr. Rogers.

I really like Steve Fulop and what he has done as a councilman over the past 4 years. And, what I have read about Manzo's reputation amongst his peers in the assembly, would make him seem to be a good mayoral candidate, certainly better than the present administration. What do you think the chances are that Fulop would come out in support of Manzo? If I recall correctly, didn't Fulop support Manzo for the Senate a couple of years ago? I don't know too much about politics but this seems like it could be a good partnership.

I think he endorsed Manzo over Sandy Cunningham which is a no brainer.I would vote for Frank the Pizza man over Cunningham.
Fulop should worry about himself now as he must be Target number one on Healys hit list.

Posted on: 2008/12/19 12:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I just want to correct a statement-People living in 5 or more stories, except new construction, is under rent control. Rent control sets the standard each year on how much taxes can be passed on to tenants. For example, in 2005, when the city gave property owners a 18% tax increase, rent-control tenants could only receive a 4% rent increase.
Also, the tax agreement between the housing authority and city states the city can collect 10% each year for taxes. However, the housing authority can deduct water and utilities from the 10%. The city stopped receiving money from the housing authority since the late 1960's. This is why I am a believer in a city income tax. Good people from various parts of the city work, pay taxes to the state and feds but contribute nothing to Jersey City. Only the small homeowner (1-4 families) support the city, schools, and county. If you don't support the city, you are indifferent to political corruption because you don't pay.
Yvonne

Posted on: 2008/12/18 22:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/15 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
This question for Mr. Rogers.

I really like Steve Fulop and what he has done as a councilman over the past 4 years. And, what I have read about Manzo's reputation amongst his peers in the assembly, would make him seem to be a good mayoral candidate, certainly better than the present administration. What do you think the chances are that Fulop would come out in support of Manzo? If I recall correctly, didn't Fulop support Manzo for the Senate a couple of years ago? I don't know too much about politics but this seems like it could be a good partnership.

Posted on: 2008/12/18 22:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And yet somehow, even with the enormous increase in the tax base from all the new development and population growth, the city is still broke year after year. The incompetence of our local leaders is amazing (though thankfully they're somehow nowhere near as bad as Hoboken's leaders apparently).

Posted on: 2008/12/18 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
@ mrrodgers, they didnt ask about Fulup at all

@ Yvonne and I heard they were supposed to only put tolls on the GSP until they re-couped construction costs....

Anyone living anywhere in JC is contributing a lot of tax money to the local schools so long as they are not in subsidized places. The money comes either directly from property taxes for owners or indirectly by paying rent...then the landlord pays property taxes. The waterfront was vacant lots, contributing little or no tax revenue. Now its high-rises with EACH building housing hundreds of people who contribute thousands of $$?s individually per year to JC. Going a step further, my hunch is these folks are not sending their children (which many dont have) to JC public schools, yet most of the money they contribute goes to that. This seems to be one side of the argument I hear surrounding the ?developing areas? in JC, it makes a lot of sense to me, but i would like to understand the other side a bit better.

Posted on: 2008/12/18 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In the 1970's I voted for an income tax. I did this because the state legislators said public schools would be supported through an income tax. I did this knowing I would educate my children in Catholic Schools. I wanted funding for public schools. Our legislatures also used this line to ask for the for sales tax (1960's) and lottery-all for education. The state never fulfulled its promise. I would have never yes to an income tax if it did not fulfilled its promise.
I am not running for office, however I do believe we need a city income tax that is deducted from the state. There are many people living on the waterfront, public housing, affordable housing who vote but do not pay anything to the board of ed or county. These are fine human beings but since they vote they should be responsible for government. These are my words, not Lou Manzo.
Yvonne

Posted on: 2008/12/18 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
this is a healy poll. did they ask if a fulop's endorsement would
sway you.

Posted on: 2008/12/18 1:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
I just got a market research call, long survey about the mayoral race and my opinions. I was dissapointed Fulop wasnt part of any choice, has an impact for me if he runs.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
This City doesn't need anymore 'old-school' politicians.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 21:52
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
One other note about Manzo's sleazy tactics (I really don't like the the guy, lol). During the last mayoral election, he blatantly violated clear campaign laws by going from polling place to polling place and handing out donuts and coffee to people in line and schmoozing with them. I happened to be inside my polling location downtown when he came in with his entourage and did it. I'm pretty sure there's an old thread around here about it somewhere. He still got crushed in the election as usual, but even Healy and Lipski I'm pretty sure have enough common sense not to so brazenly ignore laws against campaigning within fixed distances of polling locations.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 19:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Manzo's a complete joke. I think Fulop already endorsed him once recently for something and as usual with anyone who come near this guy, Manzo embarrassed him over it by going down in flames. Manzo's modus operandi is to make some demagogic pronouncement about some issue or other he's going to tackle for the people that would actually make a mess of things, then (thankfully) never actually follow through. His campaign tactics are atrocious too. He runs in every election, always uses massive illegal signage even though that has probably had a negative net impact on his vote total in every election (people don't much like having their neighborhoods defaced every four years by his goons), and employing thugs to do the illegal campaigning who have been known to get in physical confrontations with people trying to clean up their mess.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
While he is a nice guy and step above what is in office,he has a real hard road ahead.No organization,no Candidates to speak of and very few workers.

His only shot is to make a Deal with Fulop for his support and Candidates and workers,otherwise he is toast.

Anyone here think Fulop should back Manzo?

Posted on: 2008/12/17 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know much about Manzo except for one issue. Manzo would impose a Jersey City income tax if elected.

"Finally, the time has come to fund schools through income taxes rather than property taxes."

and

"While in elected state office, former Assemblyman Lou Manzo of Jersey City championed a Smart Bill that put together a formula that switched the source of financing schools from property taxes to income taxes. "

If Manzo is elected and he does enact a income tax, I will be the first out of here. There is no way I'm paying high real-estate taxes + city income tax.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 23:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/15 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
How has he failed as a legislator? This is contrary to what I have read after googling him. Is there some failure in particular he made as a legislator?

I am asking this of FrGuidaoSarducci.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In the late 1980's/early 1990's, Lou Manzo was a Hudson County Freeholder. He alone battled our former County Executive, Bobby J, who wanted to put a incinerator in Jersey City to burn garbage. I went to many of the freeholders meeting during that time and was impressed how he fought for Jersey City. No incinerator was built and eventually the county adopted recycling as a plan. Jersey City air is still dirty I can only imagine how dirty it would be if that incinerator was built or how many people would have died from complications from breathing air contaminated by the incinerator.
I also remember him fighting to make sure rat problem in Newport was erdicated. Many politicans are afraid of him because he puts people, not developer first. I don't know if he will win, but no politican has accomplished as much as Lou Manzo.
Yvonne

Posted on: 2008/12/16 18:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:12
Group:
Registered Users
Lou Manzo has tried to sell himself as a man of the people and an advocate for good government. The truth is : he is the same as every other Jersey City politician. He will make any deal with any faction, good or bad, in order to gain power.

At the end of the day he has been a failure as a legislator and a politician. He needs to go away.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 16:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/4 7:24
Group:
Registered Users
I was sold until the very end.

"I've been working on schmoozing people" Cmon. Seriously??

Posted on: 2008/12/16 16:04

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017