Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Unleashed Pit Bull attacks jogger in Lincoln Park -- Owner leaves woman bleeding
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
Umm, he was within inches of snarling, growling and angry dogs who would have attacked him if they could have. No wagging tails here.

Umm, I consider that a close encounter. Do the teeth have to penetrate the skin for it to be a close encounter for you because it that's it' no longer a "close encounter" it's an actual "encounter."

Posted on: 2008/12/18 15:18

Re: Unleashed Pit Bull attacks jogger in Lincoln Park -- Owner leaves woman bleeding
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Solution - Lobby Cityhall, your council representatives, Police and the State to enforce the off leash laws.

Ask Cityhall or the Police via a Freedom of Information Request to just see how many tickets are issued for 'off leash' offences. I bet there would be less then 5 in the past 5 years.

It would be interesting to see how many tickets have been issued for unregistered dogs also.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 21:16
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bunny22 wrote:

My boyfriend works for UPS and has had over 4 close encounters with snarling and aggressive dogs in the last 5 months. Luckily they were leashed or behind doors but if anyone has ever experienced an angry dog (I have) it is a frightening experience.

umm, if they were leashed or behind closed doors then he really hasn't had a close encounter.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 17:55
utterly deplorable

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
Just wanted to add my 2 cents here regarding fear of pit bulls vs. fear of glass coffee tables. Even if the odds of being killed by either are equal, I believe that people have an inbred/primal fear of being "eaten alive" or mauled etc..that's hardwired in us from our caveman days. Hence the popularity of the movie "JAWS!" whereas the movie "GLASS COFFEE TABLES!" had low
box office. : )

My boyfriend works for UPS and has had over 4 close encounters with snarling and aggressive dogs in the last 5 months. Luckily they were leashed or behind doors but if anyone has ever experienced an angry dog (I have) it is a frightening experience. If I were walking down the street and I saw some dude with an unleased pit bull, I would cross the street, go home and report him to the cops. Not that they'd actually show up.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
I know very little about pitbulls, so I have no opinion on having them as pets and issues associated with them in public.

As usual on JCList, a thread about very serious occurence went off on a tangient and degenerated into a pointless debate.

What I'm wondering is if there have been any updates about this, does anyone know if the owner has been found, have witnesses and/or people familiar with the owner and the pit bull come forward,etc. Does anyone know any pit bull owners in the neigborhood where this occurred?

While the fact that the jogger was bitten is especially tragic, it's even more tragic that the owner of the dog left her bleeding on the street and didn't even have the courtesy to call an ambulance. Seems like the owner is a bigger threat to society than the dog itself. Should the dog be euthanized? I don't know, I didn't see the whole episode, nor do I really know what situations specifically call for a euthanization. But unless the owner turns himself in anytime soon, I hope they are charged with a serious felony and pay dearly in fines and/or jail time (if they do turn themselves in, then perhaps some mercy should be shown). Shame!

Posted on: 2008/12/17 7:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CatsnDogs wrote:
The following is quoted from the NJ Dept of Health and Senior Services written by Colin Campbell, Senior Public Health Veterinarian.

"The Centers for Disease Control estimate there are approximately 4 million people bitten each year, most of whom are children, and an average of 20 deaths each year caused by dog bites. Dogs belonging to more than 30 breeds have been responsible for fatal attacks on people."

30 breeds = 20 deaths. So if you are afraid of a pit then you should show caution with all dogs. Note that most victims are children.

catsndogs:

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=179164#forumpost179164

enough said.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
The following is quoted from the NJ Dept of Health and Senior Services written by Colin Campbell, Senior Public Health Veterinarian.

"The Centers for Disease Control estimate there are approximately 4 million people bitten each year, most of whom are children, and an average of 20 deaths each year caused by dog bites. Dogs belonging to more than 30 breeds have been responsible for fatal attacks on people."

30 breeds = 20 deaths. So if you are afraid of a pit then you should show caution with all dogs. Note that most victims are children.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 1:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/8 16:02
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
trp3 wrote:
........to be continued...........

Wow, this is entertainment at it's best!! Better than Oprah, Days of Our Lives, and Judge Judy all put together. Thanks all for filling that post-election void!

Posted on: 2008/12/17 0:34
Come on and rock me Amadeus

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Just like all your specie type, you are a walking oxymoron. You berate me for my personal attack on elvis, yet at the same sentence does the same to me.

So if i dont like fox news i should not have kids? Yep, that sounds exactly like a fox news talking point.

Oh dear wibbit, no need to get so defensive. If you read my post carefully, I did not attack/insult you as you did to poor elvis. I was just expressing my sincere hope that your mean-spirited attitude (specifically "such arrogance and stupidity") does not influence a young child's mind. Happy holidays!

Posted on: 2008/12/17 0:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
i've gotten so tired of this thread, as I have the last 10 threads regarding a recent dog attack, that I have decided to just walk away from this one, and simply wait for the next one to arrive.......most likely some time in January, I presume.

then Elvis, we can start to argue again about how dangerous/not dangerous pitbulls are.

and then we can blame the owners again.

and then we can say how we handle them every day at the shelter and nothing ever happens to us.

and then we can bring up michael vick.

and then we can all quote ridiculous statistics comparing crossing the street to dog attacks.

and then we can question the comparable bite strength of a pitbull vs. other dogs.

and then we can argue muzzle laws.

and then....................................

........to be continued...........

Posted on: 2008/12/16 23:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
Not for nothing, but I've never heard of a glass coffee table attacking when provoked or unprovoked.

Just sayin.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Drafting ordinances that single out specific breeds of dogs is impractical and unenforceable. There are existing laws on the books that control vicious dogs. Also, the leash laws should be enforced. See the definitions below. "vicious or dangerous dog" covers any type of dogs that may cause a problem.

1.Enforce the leash law:

? 90-16. Use of leash in public places.
[Amended 10-24-2007 by Ord. No. 07-168]

Except in an area designated as a dog run by the City of Jersey City Division of Parks and Forestry with official signage erected clearly indicating such dog run, no person who owns, keeps or harbors any dog shall suffer or permit it to be upon the public streets or in any of the public places of the city unless such dog is accompanied by a responsible person and is securely confined and controlled by one adequate leash not more than six feet long.

? 90-4. Animals running at large; impoundment.

Any animal led or permitted to run at large in violation of this article shall be impounded at the owner?s expense until the penalty for the violation is paid.

2.Control vicious dogs:

? 90-17. Duties of vicious or dangerous dog owners.
[Amended 12-23-1987 by Ord. No. C-651]

Ownership of a vicious or dangerous dog is subject to the following regulations at all times:
A. A vicious or dangerous dog shall not be owned by any person under the age of 18 years of age.
B. The owner of a vicious or dangerous dog must provide a proper enclosure to confine a vicious or dangerous dog together with the posting on the premises of a clearly visible warning sign that there is a vicious or dangerous dog on the property. Further, the owner shall conspicuously display a sign with a warning symbol that informs children of the presence of a vicious or dangerous dog.
C. No owner of any vicious dog shall allow such dog outside of the dwelling of the owner or outside the enclosure unless the dog is securely and humanely muzzled so that it shall be impossible for it to tear or otherwise wound with its teeth any human being or animals and shall be in the charge of a competent person over the age of 18 and securely held by a chain or leash not more than six feet long.
D. No owner of any dangerous dog shall allow such dog outside of the dwelling of the owner or outside the enclosure unless the dog is in the charge of competent person over the age of 18 and securely held by a chain or leash not more than six feet long so that it shall be impossible for it to tear or otherwise wound with its teeth any human being or animals.
E. Dogs shall not be declared vicious or dangerous if the threat, injury or damage was sustained by a person who at the time was committing a willful trespass or other tort upon the premises occupied by the owner of the dog or was tormenting, abusing or assaulting the dog or has, in the past, been observed or reported to have tormented, abused or assaulted the dog or was committing or attempting to commit a crime.
F. Any vicious or dangerous dog shall be immediately taken into custody and impounded or caused to be taken into custody and impounded by an animal control authority pursuant to ? 90-21 if the owner of the vicious or dangerous dog is in violation of this section. Thereafter, the dog may be destroyed or disposed of as provided by ? 90-21.
G. Any person who violates this section shall be subject to a fine of $1,000 or imprisonment for a period up to six months, or both.

? 90-12. Definitions. [Amended 12-23-1987 by Ord. No. C-651]

As used herein, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
AT LARGE - Off the premises of the owner and not under the control of the owner, or the owner?s agent or servant, by leash.
DANGEROUS DOG - Any dog:
A. Which, unprovoked, chases or approaches a person or a domestic animal in a threatening manner;
B. Which has propensity to attack or cause injury unprovoked or threaten humans or domestic animals;
C. Which possesses physical characteristics when unprovoked will inflict harm or create a reasonable apprehension of such harm in a person;
D. Which is owned or kept primarily or in part for the purpose of dog fighting or is trained for dog fighting; or
E. Not licensed according to law.
DOG - Any dog, bitch or spayed bitch.
DOG OF LICENSING AGE - Any dog which has attained the age of seven months or which possesses a set of permanent teeth.
OWNER - Every person having a right of property in a dog and every person who has such in his or her keeping.
PROPER ENCLOSURE OF A VICIOUS OR DANGEROUS DOG - While on the owner?s property, a vicious or dangerous dog shall be securely confined indoors or in a securely enclosed and locked pen or structure, suitable to prevent the entry of young children and designed to prevent the animal from escaping from the enclosure. Such pen or structure shall have secure sides and a secure top and shall also provide protection from the elements for the dog.
PUBLIC PLACE - Includes every sidewalk, gutter, street, park or any other place within the city which is accessible to the general public.
VICIOUS DOG - Any dog which, unprovoked, bites or causes physical injury to a human or a domestic animal.

Source: Jersey City Municipal Code

Posted on: 2008/12/16 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
Ok genius, educate me. Show me where in the article it says anything about how this relates to Pitbull attacks at all. I am all ears.

I swear, between you and Biscuit, its a regular Mensa meeting in here. Biscuit failed to realize the analogy I was making, so let me dumb it down a shade. 3 people die a year from pitbull attacks, the same amount die from falling into glass furniture. Should we then ban glass furniture because a few people are scared of them?

You are missing the point. I am not saying to be scared of glass tables, I am saying that a fear of pitbulls is as irrational as a fear of glass furniture. No one is implying a glass table will attack you if provoked. But the odds of death are the same. Now it would be silly to be afraid of glass tables, no? You get the point?

AGAIN, show me in the article you linked to how this relates to pitbull attacks. Please.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
The nature of the injuries or disfigurement that prompted the Cleveland case are not yet known.

yeah, you're right Elvis, and we can't argue with the "statistics"........it was most likely a glass table attack.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Elvis, changing your post after someone has already replied to it is almost as lame as comparing pit bulls to coffee tables.

almost.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 21:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/30 21:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elvis wrote:
Phun,

That loud swooshing sound you hear is my post going way over your head.

Biscut,

You think Phun has his head up his ass? Is that it?

And still no response to mine... And why make it personal? I'm simply asking about the numbers you quoted and you accuse me of having may head up my ass?

Nice job.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trp3 wrote:
hooray! they successfully did the first face transplant ever in America today.

you'll never guess the reason why.................

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28253624/

Wholeheartedly, I'd love for Jacqui Saburido to be able to receive a face transplant. Google her, she sounds like a great girl...

Posted on: 2008/12/16 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
yes. that must be it.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Phun,

That loud swooshing sound you hear is my post going way over your head.

Biscut,

You think Phun has his head up his ass? Is that it?

Posted on: 2008/12/16 19:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just staying on the topic of dogs -- glass tables? Start another thread.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Elvis, your pit bull - furniture analogy is one for the ages.

the genius on this list continues to astound...

Posted on: 2008/12/16 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You really can't read can you? If you had actually read the article you linked to, you would have known a few things. They didn't release the reason for the transplant.

From the article you linked to:

The nature of the injuries or disfigurement that prompted the Cleveland case are not yet known.

And the woman in France who you thought you were talking about, had her face mauled when she was attacked by her own Labrador.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11198533/

Keep up the good work!

Posted on: 2008/12/16 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
hooray! they successfully did the first face transplant ever in America today.

you'll never guess the reason why.................

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28253624/

Posted on: 2008/12/16 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thats right, ignore my last post entirely.

Are you going to cross the street when you see an evil glass coffee table on the curb? Should we ban them?

Posted on: 2008/12/16 17:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elvis wrote:
Hey Just for Phun,

Each year an estimated 20,000 people, most of them children, are treated in emergency rooms for injuries sustained from glass furniture. In an average year, three children die.

Lets ban glass coffee tables!

Riiiight...

Hey Elvis!

I noticed that your "1 in 145,000,000" is from a pit bull owner's web site. I'm sure they have no axe to grind. (Or is that "dog in this fight" ?) Totally unbiased, I'm sure.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Just for Phun,

Each year an estimated 20,000 people, most of them children, are treated in emergency rooms for injuries sustained from glass furniture. In an average year, three children die.

Lets ban glass coffee tables!

Riiiight...

Posted on: 2008/12/16 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Oh my, think I just spotted a fox news believer. Thought they were long extinct in JC due to darwinism. That's an amazing discovery.

Just like all your specie type, you are a walking oxymoron. You berate me for my personal attack on elvis, yet at the same sentence does the same to me.

So if i dont like fox news i should not have kids? Yep, that sounds exactly like a fox news talking point.

Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Such arrogance and stupidity mixed in one, you should apply for a job with fox news. I am sure they would love to hire you.

I'm sorry wibbit but your attitude needs some readjustment. What is wrong with you? Are you an adult? What is the purpose of including "apply for a job with fox news"? We understand you completely disected elvis' post, but what is the need for the additional attack? (plus if he is arrogant and stupid like you say, most likely he voted for obama! )

I seriously hope you don't have kids.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 15:11

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/22 17:18
Group:
Registered Users
I'm more afraid of people! In your haste in crossing the street to avoid a dog don't get hit by a bus.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 13:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elvis wrote:
Fact: Out of the estimated 53 million dogs in the United States 92 fatal attacks are contributed to Pit Bulls or Pit Bull Mixes from 1965-2001. (Thats 37 years so almost 3 a year! WOW!)

Source: Fatal Dog Attacks by Karen Delise

So I guess it's OK if only 3 people per year die from a "Pit Bull" attack?

Riiiight...

Posted on: 2008/12/16 13:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
Such arrogance and stupidity mixed in one, you should apply for a job with fox news. I am sure they would love to hire you.

I'm sorry wibbit but your attitude needs some readjustment. What is wrong with you? Are you an adult? What is the purpose of including "apply for a job with fox news"? We understand you completely disected elvis' post, but what is the need for the additional attack? (plus if he is arrogant and stupid like you say, most likely he voted for obama! )

I seriously hope you don't have kids.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 3:19

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017