Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: What's worse for JC, Luxury Condos or Hipsters?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/28 8:43
Group:
Banned
i'd like to bitch slap tommyc with with my calloused hands and see if he would survive. where do you fruitcakes come from?

Posted on: 2008/12/16 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Its funny too , sometimes I wonder why I bother arguing this since myself nor my family has ever been a victim of this. Im just amazed at the ignorance some people show about this whole gentrification / lower middle class being forced out thing.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 23:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Oh and Tommyc, I really dont think most of Harlem is pleased about gentrification and taking it in stride. Its no secret its constantly in the Post and Daily news

Honestly, if people don't want to be priced out of their neighborhood, they have the freedom to get a higher paying job, or go back to school to GET a higher paying job, so that they can afford to stay in their neighborhood that they love. If they're that passionate about the neighborhood, they should be motivated to do whatever it takes to stay. This is a capitalist society...the strong are the ones who survive.

Yes, unfortunatly though. Remember Tommyc not all the people struggling with income are criminals or bad people. Think about it, say you worked hard all your life but never quite had the financial situation to get ahead in life and you lived in the same neighborhood you loved and that your parents grew up in, then suddenly the NY times calls the neighborhood "hip" and your priced out so some little trust fund idiot can live there. Thats being harsh I know they might not be trust fund idiots but you see what im getting at. Bottom line is if they're hard working individuals who arnt a threat to society they should not have to be threatened with eviction just because they dont have high income.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Oh and Tommyc, I really dont think most of Harlem is pleased about gentrification and taking it in stride. Its no secret its constantly in the Post and Daily news

Honestly, if people don't want to be priced out of their neighborhood, they have the freedom to get a higher paying job, or go back to school to GET a higher paying job, so that they can afford to stay in their neighborhood that they love. If they're that passionate about the neighborhood, they should be motivated to do whatever it takes to stay. This is a capitalist society...the strong are the ones who survive.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 23:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2008/12/15 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Well neighborhoods change, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. Honestly, with all the assets that Downtown Jersey City has, I'm surprised it took this long to become gentrified. Why do you take it so personally? As NYC prices became out of control high...people looked for alternatives (Brooklyn, Hoboken, JC).

I don't know why you take it to heart so much...

I'm sure the natives that got priced out of the Lower East Side, and Harlem are a little disgruntled, but it's nobody's fault...it's what the market dictates as a place becomes more desirable. It's just a fact of life in an urban setting. 50 years from now, Downtown JC may be a dump again. Who knows?

Its not so much that I take it to heart its more about not wanting it to become like most gentrified areas of NYC or Hoboekn( like ive mentioned before). I never wanted it to stay a dump but rather improve the quality of life and keep its gritty charm. Nobodys saying there has to be burnt out buildings and crackheads. But keep the diversity, low income living with high income living with white , black, green, pink, ornage whatever. Yes we have alot of that now but what do you think is gonna happen a few years down the line? Its just gonna be an extension of Hoboken. I dont mean to keep throwing Hoboken under the bus but I think we can all agree the place has become pretentious and obnoxious.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Well neighborhoods change, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. Honestly, with all the assets that Downtown Jersey City has, I'm surprised it took this long to become gentrified. Why do you take it so personally? As NYC prices became out of control high...people looked for alternatives (Brooklyn, Hoboken, JC).

I don't know why you take it to heart so much...

I'm sure the natives that got priced out of the Lower East Side, and Harlem are a little disgruntled, but it's nobody's fault...it's what the market dictates as a place becomes more desirable. It's just a fact of life in an urban setting. 50 years from now, Downtown JC may be a dump again. Who knows?

Posted on: 2008/12/15 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I don't understand people like crushthedemoniac. I'd rather deal with "generic hipsters and yuppies" over "generic crackheads and gangsters" like Downtown JC used to be. If I have to deal with something generic, I'll opt for the generic types that don't mug me, attack me, or break into my car.

Crushthedemoniac, I'm not sure if you are a resident of Downtown JC or not, but neighborhoods change. If you're looking for "old school JC" maybe you should relocate to Greenville, I'm sure that neighborhood still has the vibe that you're looking for.

Tommyc, like Ive stated before , I dont support thug behavior and dont wish Downtown was "ghetto". What I would like is more affordable housing(not low income), and less crap that would make this place look like Williamsburg or something of that nature.

Well that could work in Fantasy Land, but in Real Life Land there is a positive correlation between affordable housing and thug behavior.

Like I said, you should look into Greenville. Bergen-Lafayette maybe? The things you are looking for can be found elsewhere in Jersey City. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to stay Downtown. Neighborhoods change, that's life, dude...

Well thanks for the JC insight , im well aware of those neighborhoods since I once lived there, never downtown though. Your not tellling me anything I dont already know about each neighborhood. I simply would hate to see Downtown and any other area of JC turn into Hoboken or something of that nature.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I don't understand people like crushthedemoniac. I'd rather deal with "generic hipsters and yuppies" over "generic crackheads and gangsters" like Downtown JC used to be. If I have to deal with something generic, I'll opt for the generic types that don't mug me, attack me, or break into my car.

Crushthedemoniac, I'm not sure if you are a resident of Downtown JC or not, but neighborhoods change. If you're looking for "old school JC" maybe you should relocate to Greenville, I'm sure that neighborhood still has the vibe that you're looking for.

Tommyc, like Ive stated before , I dont support thug behavior and dont wish Downtown was "ghetto". What I would like is more affordable housing(not low income), and less crap that would make this place look like Williamsburg or something of that nature.

Well that could work in Fantasy Land, but in Real Life Land there is a positive correlation between affordable housing and thug behavior.

Like I said, you should look into Greenville. Bergen-Lafayette maybe? The things you are looking for can be found elsewhere in Jersey City. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to stay Downtown. Neighborhoods change, that's life, dude...

Posted on: 2008/12/15 19:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/30 2:06
Group:
Registered Users
I know you all think you are educated but maybe you should think twice before generalizing. "Hipsters" Please define? Luxury Condos, does that mean "yuppies"? What if it means retired?

I am not naive I understand what you are referring to when you say "hipster" but I would like to think most of you are smart enough to not think every person who appears (in your eyes) to be a "hipster" is the same. Maybe these hipsters have more to offer to the community than you do? Maybe the "yuppies" have more to contribute. Who are you to classify anyone?

The neighborhood did not ask you to move in, you chose to move in and you can choose to move out if it is not to your liking. OR do something about the things you are complaining about instead of blaming it on black, whites, hipsters, yuppies, etc.

Grow up-

joe

Posted on: 2008/12/15 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
What's wrong with Williamsburg? The girls over there are easy.

I'm just kidding but I wouldn't mind having some of restaurants and music venues that Williamsburg has over here.

I don't understand why Newark Ave doesn't have more restaurants and bars. It's my understanding that the city makes it incredibly difficult to open a restaurant or bar.

Any bar owners/restaurantors out there care to enlighten me?

Posted on: 2008/12/15 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2008/12/15 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

wildwildzero wrote:
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
Quote:

Im curious as to what "type" of person you are? You're not a "hipster", "yuppie", you don't want change...SO do you have any suggestions that would be GOOD for JC going forward?

The user name refers to a song by the Cro-Mags.

much like the how the MAGS sang "these are days of the cheaters and the cheated!" CRUSH THE DEMONIAC was a phrase that is straight up lifted from their krsha conscience. i wouldn't be so sure that they are a HARDCORE individual considering the heights/journal squares ethnic make up. but who knows, if they like samhain they must eat granola and LOVE best wishes too!!!! jesus

LOL, I do like samhain but I only eat granola in the morning when its mixed in with my oatmeal.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/12/15 16:14

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/13 20:39
From hamilton park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
[quote]
there is a reason why there is two tattoo parlors. one is run by a business man who is not a local dude and could careless about dtjc and is really just shysters and a heartless rip off artist. another is run by three downtown jersey city residents two of which who worked at the former and when the opportunity arose they opened their own place. getting tattooed is not an act of fury and i am insulted that you see it as such. i know that one of the guys from jc/tc has lived downtown for the better part of his adult life and has been a avid supporter of local business, the arts and nightlife. to drag them into this is petty and ignorant.
{/quote]

You're wrong.

The fury I was referring to was the angst I was joking about. I have no illusions that tattoos are for people with broken hearts. It was a joke about how hipsters and punksters shouldn't hate each other for boring differences.

And I'm familiar with the break-up story of the tattoo parlors, but not that so obviously unfair slant on it. I was pointedly noting that the changes in this town have lifted many boats, and not just the organic bakers and the lounging lizards.

how is that in anyway an unfair slant? i have known both sides for sometime. i watched the situation develope 1st hand. i am biased because i would rather support and suggest others to support reputable local dudes who built their reputations in someone else shop. instead of a dude who in my opinion (not anyone elses) is just a hack tattoo artist and a business man who rips off and takes advantage of his employees and costomers. these are no ones opinions but mine and i have never worked for either of the parties involved and am just a collector of tattoos and am neither broken hearted or angst ridden, but thanks for knowing why i get tattooed. i am a fan of both chuck and adams collective works. i am all for hot headed internet debate but as i said dragging in jc/tc tattoo into your little tyrade about the ills of a developing community is petty and ignorant.

again thanks

Posted on: 2008/12/15 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

much like the how the MAGS sang "these are days of the cheaters and the cheated!" CRUSH THE DEMONIAC was a phrase that is straight up lifted from their krsha conscience. i wouldn't be so sure that they are a HARDCORE individual considering the heights/journal squares ethnic make up. but who knows, if they like samhain they must eat granola and LOVE best wishes too!!!! jesus

This is EXACTLY the failure which in this thread. Everybody tries to typify hipsters and yuppies, and the image falls short. Doesn't it fall short with punk and hardcore? Yes. But we have some punk and hardcore individuals on here making generalizations, so it deserves push-back.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

there is a reason why there is two tattoo parlors. one is run by a business man who is not a local dude and could careless about dtjc and is really just shysters and a heartless rip off artist. another is run by three downtown jersey city residents two of which who worked at the former and when the opportunity arose they opened their own place. getting tattooed is not an act of fury and i am insulted that you see it as such. i know that one of the guys from jc/tc has lived downtown for the better part of his adult life and has been a avid supporter of local business, the arts and nightlife. to drag them into this is petty and ignorant.

No.

The fury I was referring to was the angst I was joking about. I have no illusions that tattoos are for people with broken hearts. It was a joke about how hipsters and punksters shouldn't hate each other for their boring differences.

And I'm familiar with the break-up story of the tattoo parlors, but not that so obviously unfair slant on it. I was pointedly noting that the changes in this town have lifted many boats, and not just the organic bakers and the lounging lizards.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
So which tattoo parlar is the good one?

Posted on: 2008/12/15 12:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From hamilton park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

alanwright wrote:

Anyway, I'm so glad downtown Jersey City has two tattoo parlors to accommodate all that fury.

ok thank you

Posted on: 2008/12/15 12:08

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From hamilton park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
Quote:

Im curious as to what "type" of person you are? You're not a "hipster", "yuppie", you don't want change...SO do you have any suggestions that would be GOOD for JC going forward?

The user name refers to a song by the Cro-Mags.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 11:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I'm guessing s/he's a granola-crunching old-schooler and self-professed HARDCORE individual. The user name refers to a song by the Cro-Mags. Past posts refer to a love for The Misfits and Samhain. Also expressed a preference for Old English.

So, that's the source of the antagonism for hipsters: a rival for the attention of suburban white angst in the identity-politics of the post-punk (or whatever) world. It's the clash between the unchained and the unwashed.

Anyway, I'm so glad downtown Jersey City has two tattoo parlors to accommodate all that fury. Like the FOUR skate/ sneaker shops, tattoo parlors are not gentrifiers. They're permissible because they're organic like Food Not Bombs and the Jersey City Do-Nothing and Complain-About Everyone Else Collective.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 6:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RussWorks wrote:
Alanwright...VERY WELL PUT!!!
Great post...

Thank you. Naysayers ain't adding value, just hot air.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 5:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
crushthedemoniac wrote:

Quote:

If you had mentioned this before we could have been somewhat on the same page with each other.

I did.

In post #147: I referred to better real estate and housing standards, more small businesses, and not living in a dirty, corrupt, backwards town stuck in issues with street-cred and small mindedness.

In post #150: I mentioned cleaner streets, more school funding, and explicitly mentioned better quality of life.

Perhaps if I referred to more measureable standards, such as standard of living, it would have been more obvious.

I sorta learned a lesson here: don't try too hard, b/c the person on the other end of the internet doesn't care enough to read deeply.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 5:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I give no solutions because I dont feel that it needs anything more. Theres no need for another food market , since theres about 5 downtown already. Theres a decent amount of bars to most of which I havnt been to yet, but the ones I have seen have been kinda hit or miss. As for luxury condos , fill the ones that are there before more are built. Thanks for respecting my opinion though this message board needs more of that.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 1:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/15 23:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Russworks, you say you embrace change and diversity and want to make it a safer place. I couldnt agree with you more, unfortunatly in your other post where you compiled a list of possible buisnesses you would like to see open downtown they all caitered to the crowd you'd see in Soho or Hoboken. Im sorry but "hip" and "posh" stuff dont appeal to me and im positive they dont reduce crime. You want to see diveristy in JC but these types of establishments are only gonna bring in the the same generic yuppie or hipster crowd you see alot now in Brooklyn, Hoboken and other parts of NYC. If you want to know what id like to see open up in downtown JC pretty much anything that isnt starbucks, vespa or some other trendy nonsense. Sorry if I come off negative but we're on a public forum and im giving my opinion.

Again...no solution, no ideas. Im curious as to what "type" of person you are? You're not a "hipster", "yuppie", you don't want change...SO do you have any suggestions that would be GOOD for JC going forward? Or you perfectly fine with the way the city is and if it stays the way it is you're cool with that....no more condos, no more grocery stores, no more bars, no more shopping -leave it the way it is...???

Also, I do respect your opinion even if we don't agree.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I'm tired of the crusty old curmudgeons claiming how great things were back in the good old days.

Posted on: 2008/12/14 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Russworks, you say you embrace change and diversity and want to make it a safer place. I couldnt agree with you more, unfortunatly in your other post where you compiled a list of possible buisnesses you would like to see open downtown they all caitered to the crowd you'd see in Soho or Hoboken. Im sorry but "hip" and "posh" stuff dont appeal to me and im positive they dont reduce crime. You want to see diveristy in JC but these types of establishments are only gonna bring in the the same generic yuppie or hipster crowd you see alot now in Brooklyn, Hoboken and other parts of NYC. If you want to know what id like to see open up in downtown JC pretty much anything that isnt starbucks, vespa or some other trendy nonsense. Sorry if I come off negative but we're on a public forum and im giving my opinion.

Posted on: 2008/12/14 23:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Oh and believe me this has nothing to do with wanting JC to stay ghetto or crime ridden. I just dont think luxury condos and gourmet organic cupcakes or whatever is cool now as a solution to helping a city such as JC or any other city for that matter.

You are always complaining...lol...its like you are miserable! Try this...why don't you tell US how YOU would move this city into the next 5 years? You seem to knock everyone else's ideas -so let's hear yours!

Posted on: 2008/12/14 22:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Alanwright...VERY WELL PUT!!! Some people are so negative on this site. They are "scared of GOOD change" for this city. I can't understand it, but I am glad to know there are other "regular people" like me who are excited to see JC develop into a greener safer more diverse city. DIVERSITY and OPTIONS are important in any community -at least to me.

Great post...

Posted on: 2008/12/14 22:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Alan, im assming thats your name. You mention that you are pro quality of life not pro gentrification. If you had mentioned this before we could have been somewhat on the same page with each other. Reading your original post I would have never guessed this because it comes off as every other pro gentrification post. Maybe I interpreted it wrong but thats what it looked like to me. THAT is why I was pissed because nothing erks me more than people that move into an "up and coming" area and have all the answers to solving the cities problems when in acctuality their solutions are only luxury condos and fancy this and gourmet that. On that note at least we can agree that quality of life is important gentrification is not.

Posted on: 2008/12/14 20:17

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017