Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: He's Back! Manzo running for Mayor - hopes the fifth time's the charm.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/15 1:47
Group:
Registered Users
I have also read up on Manzo, and what I have learned so far is:

1) He is a hard worker
2) He does not drink to inebriation

These are two attributes that our present Mayor cannot make claim to.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 15:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/15 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know much about Manzo, so I googled him. What I have learned is during his four years as an assemblyman his peers in the assembly viewed him as having one of the most effective and productive legislative offices in the State. So, I would think he desrves a serious looking at as a potential mayoral candidate.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 19:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/14 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
"One thing I pledge is that I will never be an embarrassment to the people of this city," Manzo said.

Little late for that. So glad we can yet again look forward to every pole, tree, and mailbox being illegally plastered with Manzo signs again.

Posted on: 2008/12/14 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Like so much of Hudson County politics - and so many of our politicians - this guy has to fade away.

Or has he already, but doesn't know it?

Posted on: 2008/12/10 16:28

He's Back! Manzo running for Mayor - hopes the fifth time's the charm.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image
Mayor candidate Manzo's promise:
I WON'T BRING SHAME TO CITY

Wednesday, December 10, 2008
By TOM SHORTELL
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Former state assemblyman and freeholder Louis Manzo hopes the fifth time's the charm.

Running on a platform to make Jersey City's streets safer, improve the city's image and negotiate better tax deals with developers, Manzo declared his candidacy for mayor yesterday - again.
Advertisement

"I'm not a quitter. I'm anything but," Manzo, 53, said during an editorial board meeting at The Jersey Journal.

"Throughout history, there have been naysayers who condemn a lot more important people than me for their persistence. Lincoln, Edison, Obama, and a lot of others who have always put it on the line and failed many times before they succeeded," he added.

Manzo blamed the "shenanigans" of the current administration for making the city a "laughingstock."

"One thing I pledge is that I will never be an embarrassment to the people of this city," Manzo said.

Known as a policy wonk during his time in the Assembly, Manzo said he wasn't going to make Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy's 2006 arrest in Bradley Beach for resisting arrest and obstruction of administrative law a campaign issue. But he sure seemed to allude to it.

"All leadership starts at the top, the mayor," Manzo said. "His (Healy's) problems reflect poorly on his judgments and his ability to instill discipline over his departments."

Manzo also ripped Healy for giving the store away on a recent 30-year tax break he gave to developers of a proposed two-tower project in Journal Square.

Manzo said he wanted to turn the city into an "arts mecca" and re-emphasize community policing.

As to the city's reported drop in crime, Manzo argued that's because so many people are afraid to leave their homes.

In a statement, Healy said: "Mr. Manzo certainly is entitled to run for mayor, as he has several times in the past."

"Although the people have spoken about his prior candidacies, we still look forward to discussing the issues with not only Mr. Manzo but with all of the candidates for this office."

Manzo, who is single and earns a living as an insurance consultant, was a candidate in November 2004 when Healy was initially elected to serve out the remainder of the late Mayor Glenn D. Cunningham's term.

Manzo was beaten in 1993 by former mayor Bret Schundler, another declared candidate in next year's race.

The other declared candidate is activist Dan Levin.

Manzo plans to present a softer, more engaging persona than the last four times out.

"I got to work on, if you will, schmoozing people," he said.

Posted on: 2008/12/10 16:11

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017