Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: GANGS? -- 5 Dickinson High students charged after battling cops -- LUNCHTIME TURMOIL
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Is it illegal for law abiding people to carry machetes in self defense against the machete wielding thugs? I know we can't carry firearms but is there at least a semblance of a level playing field? Even if it's 15 on 1?

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
[snip]

More police were assigned to the school because of an uptick in gang violence. There was even what police described as rioting, including a machete attack and numerous arrests on Monday.

Superintendent of Schools Charles T. Epps has been the target of angry residents, including members of the Hilltop Neighborhood Association, who have for years complained about student intimidation, loitering, fighting and vandalism.

This week, Epps sounded more like a Wild West town sheriff than an educator.

"We put on extra police and are going to continue that through the week and up to Thanksgiving to insure we are going to be there, and whatever (bad) is going to happen, we are going to stop it," Epps told The Jersey Journal.

Shop owners say that some of their neighbors often shut their business doors at lunchtime, when students are released, and open again for business when school resumes after lunch.

They say there are times when hundreds of students run down the local streets to watch and cheer on fights.

How bad is it? On Monday, a 16-year-old boy and two friends were walking home when they were attacked by a pack of 15 boys, according to the police report. One of the attackers took a swipe at the boy's face with a machete but only cut his hand when he put it up to defend himself.

Epps said he's "working closely" with Police Chief Tom Comey on the issue. He said a symposium on gangs and conflict resolution for students, parents and community leaders is on tap for January.

It is a shame that a place of learning has become a center of chaos. There are students whose only concern is education and making a better life for themselves, but those in charge are having a difficult time of providing a scholarly and safe venue.

A symposium is a start. More parental participation is essential. For the time being, a constant police presence is a necessity.

Posted on: 2008/11/22 4:09

Re: GANGS? -- 5 Dickinson High students charged after battling cops -- LUNCHTIME TURMOIL
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if Chief Comey considers minors that maim each other or commit a crime is not considered a real crime but simply horse-play by children ?

Posted on: 2008/11/21 3:58
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Editorial: Cops at Dickinson now a necessity

Jersey Journal
Thursday, November 20, 2008

A sk any of the people who live and work near Dickinson High School in Jersey City and they will tell you that life is tough when school is in session.

This week, there was evidence that things have gotten worse.

More police were assigned to the school because of an uptick in gang violence. There was even what police described as rioting, including a machete attack and numerous arrests on Monday.

Superintendent of Schools Charles T. Epps has been the target of angry residents, including members of the Hilltop Neighborhood Association, who have for years complained about student intimidation, loitering, fighting and vandalism.

This week, Epps sounded more like a Wild West town sheriff than an educator.

"We put on extra police and are going to continue that through the week and up to Thanksgiving to insure we are going to be there, and whatever (bad) is going to happen, we are going to stop it," Epps told The Jersey Journal.

Shop owners say that some of their neighbors often shut their business doors at lunchtime, when students are released, and open again for business when school resumes after lunch.

They say there are times when hundreds of students run down the local streets to watch and cheer on fights.

How bad is it? On Monday, a 16-year-old boy and two friends were walking home when they were attacked by a pack of 15 boys, according to the police report. One of the attackers took a swipe at the boy's face with a machete but only cut his hand when he put it up to defend himself.

Epps said he's "working closely" with Police Chief Tom Comey on the issue. He said a symposium on gangs and conflict resolution for students, parents and community leaders is on tap for January.

It is a shame that a place of learning has become a center of chaos. There are students whose only concern is education and making a better life for themselves, but those in charge are having a difficult time of providing a scholarly and safe venue.

A symposium is a start. More parental participation is essential. For the time being, a constant police presence is a necessity.

Posted on: 2008/11/21 2:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
I wish it were possible to also arrest and punish the parents. They need to be held accountable as well. Especially when the kids are minors.

Posted on: 2008/11/20 10:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/13 17:44
From Hamilton Park(ish)
Group:
Banned
This is all kinda scary...hopefully they aren't hanging out in the area after hours

Posted on: 2008/11/20 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Dickinson gets more cops as violence, gangs spike

Wednesday, November 19, 2008
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The police presence at Dickinson High School in Jersey City will be beefed up this week and next due to recent episodes of gang violence and rioting, including a machete attack and numerous arrests on Monday, officials said.

Jersey City Superintendent of Schools Charles T. Epps Jr. said yesterday he's "working closely" with Police Chief Tom Comey on the effort.
Advertisement

"We put on extra police and are going to continue that through the week and up to Thanksgiving to insure we are going to be there and whatever (bad) is going to happen, we are going to stop it," Epps said.

On Monday, a 16-year-old boy told police he and two friends were walking home when they were attacked by a pack of 15 boys. One of the attackers took a swipe at his face with a machete but only cut his hand when he put it up to defend himself, reports said.

He identified his attackers as expelled Dickinson High students who are part of the "Summit Mob," said to frequent the area of Summit Avenue and Poplar Street, reports said.

Also on Monday, two 16-year-olds and a 15-year-old were arrested after violence at the school caused "a riot situation among 100 to 200 students waiting to enter the school," officials said.

Meanwhile, a 17-year-old was charged with obstruction for refusing to pass through the school's metal detector, police said.

And Daniel Anthony Green, 18, of Van Wagenen Avenue, was charged with rioting, aggravated assault and resisting arrest after he knocked a student unconscious during a fight in the school, police said.

Shop owners yesterday welcomed the increased police presence.

"Occasionally on Fridays we have large crowds of kids and some of our neighbors close their doors for lunch break and then open up again," said the manager of one business who did not want to identified.

Gene Pompilio Sr., of Pompilio and Sons, a headstone maker on Newark Avenue, said he often sees hundreds of students running down the street to watch and cheer on fights.

Epps said a symposium on gangs and conflict resolution for students, parents, and community leaders is on tap for January. "The schools are not in this alone, it takes all of us to make this happen," Epps said.

Posted on: 2008/11/20 1:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Dickinson High is a breeding ground for ass-wipes. With all the negative attention drawn to it, you would think cityhall, the county and the state would step in. oops I keep forgetting we are talking about JC

Posted on: 2008/11/19 21:22
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Today, the Jersey Journal is reporting that a gang that helped start the fight is the Summit gang, which is made up of kids expelled from Dickinson.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Red-Deutsch wrote:
If you guys want to keep your head buried in the sand, well, that's your perogative. Just don't complain when you get mugged, find yourself in the wrong area, or in the crossfire.

Honestly, I'm just enjoying seeing people who usually trash me trash one another.

Anyhow: do you know enough about how the gangs work in Jersey City to know whether the Dickinson problems are the result of ordinary dumb kid gangs, or hardcore Crips/Bloods/Latin Kings sorts of gangs?

If the latter: would you have any thoughts on which of the hardcore gangs are active at Dickinson? Are there any signs you look for to figure out who's who?

Posted on: 2008/11/19 6:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Beefed up police presence at Jersey City high school after reported machete attack and other 'gang' activity

by Michaelangelo Conte
Tuesday November 18, 2008

The police presence at Dickinson High School in Jersey City will be beefed up this week and next due to recent episodes of gang violence and rioting, including a machete attack and numerous arrests on Monday, officials said today.

Jersey City Superintendent of Schools Charles T. Epps Jr. said he's "working closely" with Police Chief Tom Comey on the effort.

"We put on extra police and are going to continue that through the week and up to Thanksgiving to insure we are going to be there and whatever (bad) is going to happen, we are going to stop it," Epps said.

On Monday, a 16-year-old boy told police he and two friends were walking home when they were attacked by 15 boys. One of them took a swipe at his face with a machete but only cut his hand when he put it up to defend himself, reports said.

He identified his attackers as expelled Dickinson High students who are part of the "Summit Mob," said to frequent the area of Summit Avenue and Poplar Street, reports said.

Also on Monday three teens -- two 16-year-olds and a 15-year-old -- were arrested after violence at the school caused "a riot situation among 100 to 200 students waiting to enter the school," officials said.

In addition, a 17-year-old was charged with obstruction for refusing to go pass through the school's metal detector, police said.

And Daniel Anthony Green, 18, of Van Wagenen Avenue, was charged with rioting, aggravated assault and resisting arrest, when he got into a fight inside the school and knocked a student unconscious, police said.

Shop owners were happy about the increased police presence.

"Occasionally on Fridays we have large crowds of kids and some of our neighbors close their doors for lunch break and then open up again," said the manager of one business who did not want to identified.

Gene Pompilio Sr. of Pompilio and Sons, a headstone maker on Newark Avenue, said he often sees hundreds of students running down the street to watch and cheer on fights.

Epps said a symposium on gangs and conflict resolution for students, parents, and community leaders is on tap for January.

"The schools are not in this alone, it takes all of us to make this happen," Epps said.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 5:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Eleanor_A:

Quote:
Like, maybe, The Van Buren Boys.

Hahaha... me flashing 8 \ /// \\\ /

When I went to DHS, it was the Brothers of the Jersey City Heights vs. the Sons of Marion and the fighting was fierce.

It's a shame that not much has changed.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 4:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

NewHeights wrote:
jennymayla

If you dont like grove paths posts don't read them. His/her posts are the main reason I visit JC List.

That's great advice! Thanks!

Posted on: 2008/11/19 4:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
jennymayla

If you dont like grove paths posts don't read them. His/her posts are the main reason I visit JC List.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 4:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
I am somewhat disappointed with gang naming these days.
I mean c'mon, get a little more creative...

Like, maybe, The Van Buren Boys.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 3:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

The boy said the attackers were part of a gang called the "Summit Mob," which is frequently seen around Summit Avenue and Poplar Street.

I am somewhat disappointed with gang naming these days.
I mean c'mon, get a little more creative...

Posted on: 2008/11/19 3:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
fasteddie wrote: You can recognize them by the fez's they wear, with the red tassle on top.
All this time I thought they were freemasons! Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/11/19 3:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Does anyone know what ethnicity they were?

I heard they were Turkish. They belong to a large Turkish street gang that has been moving into the Northeast. They call themselves The Ottoman Empire. They like to put their feet up when they're chillin. You can recognize them by the fez's they wear, with the red tassle on top.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
DICKINSON TURMOIL
Epps: 3 arrested pupils put hands on cops

Tuesday, November 18, 2008
By PAUL KOEPP
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER
and JENNIFER KIM

[snip]

Another student believed the fight might have been related to an incident that happened last week.

"Last week, there were some guys from a gang that came in with machetes and guns, and it happened again today," the student said. The teens arrested yesterday were not charged with carrying weapons.
[snip]

If this is true (seems rather unlikely) - wow - machetes are kind of hard to conceal! Is this a school or The Congo?

Regardless, Epps describing it as 3 students being arrested because they "put hands on cops" seems to ridiculously downplay what happened. It makes it sound like someone put a hand on a cop's shoulder and was bogusly arrested for assault.

P.S. I don't mind the "true crime" posts at all. If one doesn't like them; don't read them or better yet post something positive.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know what ethnicity they were?

Posted on: 2008/11/19 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Red-Deutsch wrote:
If you guys want to keep your head buried in the sand, well, that's your perogative. Just don't complain when you get mugged, find yourself in the wrong area, or in the crossfire.

Personally, I don't mind GP's posts one bit. I like to keep my head on a swivel. An old saying says keep your friends close and your enemies closer. I like knowing what's going on and where it's going on. I like knowing the hot spots and the particular places to avoid. Street smart. I'm a JC lifer, probably unlike some of those who prefer to pretend that everything is fine. You're probably still naive. Not enough bad things have happened to you yet. Don't complain when your wake up call eventually comes. Don't blast GP because he posts reality... and probably reality that's been mostly sanitized, by the way. 90% of the facts are usually omitted. If you knew how bad things really were... oh nevermind. I can see this will get me nowhere anyway. You're right. Let's just post about cotton candy and other pink fluffy stuff.

BTW... welcome to the jungle. You'll see. Eventually.

Have you been watching too much of that UFC stuff? Maybe Deathwish?

Posted on: 2008/11/18 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Red-Deutsch wrote:

Personally, I don't mind GP's posts one bit. I like to keep my head on a swivel. An old saying says keep your friends close and your enemies closer. I like knowing what's going on and where it's going on. I like knowing the hot spots and the particular places to avoid. Street smart. I'm a JC lifer, probably unlike some of those who prefer to pretend that everything is fine. You're probably still naive. Not enough bad things have happened to you yet. Don't complain when your wake up call eventually comes. Don't blast GP because he posts reality... and probably reality that's been mostly sanitized, by the way. 90% of the facts are usually omitted. If you knew how bad things really were... oh nevermind. I can see this will get me nowhere anyway. You're right. Let's just post about cotton candy and other pink fluffy stuff.

Oh goodie! Another old-timer to tell all us newbies how to live our lives. Awesome!

I would think that as a JC-lifer you would have more hometown pride than that. Daily life in JC is rough enough without perpetuating the myth that it is all sh*t, all the time.

Oh, and don't act like you know me. You have no idea.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 22:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/22 22:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/11/18 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
How about the word 'TEAMS' instead of 'GANGS' - Give me a break, when it comes to violence and acts of crime then its 'GANGS' to describe these kids.

I have no problem calling them what they are -- they are clearly GANGS. My problem has always been with the obvious editorial prerogative GP takes when he/she lists the news that he/she deems fit to post.

But then again...

That's GP's prerogative

Posted on: 2008/11/18 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
How about the word 'TEAMS' instead of 'GANGS' - Give me a break, when it comes to violence and acts of crime then its 'GANGS' to describe these kids.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jillianp wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
I feel like we need a GrovePath Style Guide or some other sort of rules of order...
.. always crappy news...

No reason to get all nasty -- BTW the Journal itself has now added the term "gang" to its newest headline/ update:

=========================
Two more arrests at Dickinson High, and a gang attack reported

by The Jersey Journal

There were two more arrests outside Dickinson High School yesterday afternoon, and three students were attacked by a gang not far from the Jersey City school, police said this morning.

The Jersey Journal reported in today's editions that three teens -- two 16-year-olds and a 15-year-old, were arrested yesterday. The police also arrested an 18 -year-old -- Daniel Anthony Green, of Van Wagenen Avenue, and charged him with rioting, aggravated assault and resisting arrest, cops said.

Green got into a fight inside the school and knocked a student unconscious, police said.

A 17-year-old was charged with obstruction when he refused to go through a metal detector at the doors of the school at lunchtime, police said.

Also, a 16-year-old boy told police he and two friends were attacked by a group of 15 former Dickinson High students while walking home after school yesterday. The boy said the attackers were part of a gang called the "Summit Mob," which is frequently seen around Summit Avenue and Poplar Street.

The boy said his hand was cut when he tried to defend himself from a machete swung by one of his assailants, a police report said. When he fled, the group pounced on his two friends and beat them with baseball bats, the cops were told.

OMG...reality check*** No one is being nasty

LOL -- by this board's standards, I thought I was being quite kind!

But GP, you just proved my point. This is a completely subjective biz you are running. No need to take it personally otherwise.

I stand by my original post.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
This kind of stuff has been going on at Dickinson for years. You drive by the school at 3 PM and it's mayhem in the streets. Epps basically could care less what the kids do once they leave the building.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 21:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park(ish)
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
I feel like we need a GrovePath Style Guide or some other sort of rules of order...
.. always crappy news...

No reason to get all nasty -- BTW the Journal itself has now added the term "gang" to its newest headline/ update:

by The Jersey Journal

There were two more arrests outside Dickinson High School yesterday afternoon, and three students were attacked by a gang not far from the Jersey City school, police said this morning.

The Jersey Journal reported in today's editions that three teens -- two 16-year-olds and a 15-year-old, were arrested yesterday. The police also arrested an 18 -year-old -- Daniel Anthony Green, of Van Wagenen Avenue, and charged him with rioting, aggravated assault and resisting arrest, cops said.

Green got into a fight inside the school and knocked a student unconscious, police said.

A 17-year-old was charged with obstruction when he refused to go through a metal detector at the doors of the school at lunchtime, police said.

Also, a 16-year-old boy told police he and two friends were attacked by a group of 15 former Dickinson High students while walking home after school yesterday. The boy said the attackers were part of a gang called the "Summit Mob," which is frequently seen around Summit Avenue and Poplar Street.

The boy said his hand was cut when he tried to defend himself from a machete swung by one of his assailants, a police report said. When he fled, the group pounced on his two friends and beat them with baseball bats, the cops were told.

OMG...reality check*** No one is being nasty

Posted on: 2008/11/18 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
.. always crappy news...

by The Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2008/11/18 19:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/18 19:10
Group:
Registered Users
Ill tell you what happened..there WAS a big incident Friday which you will never hear about because JC Schools covers everything up--- actually the only truth in that whole article is what the kids were saying. Trust me.
The cops weren't assaulted by crazy kids...There was another fight and because of what happened last week the fight was on the stairs and 30 cops came through throwing kids off the stairwells to the front entrance after lunch-- I am sure some kids didn't take getting thrown around lightly ...so they must have pushed back..
Yes there is gang things going on ...but mostly street "hood" gangs-- Like who lives in what "section"-- The kids are always fighting other "sections" of JC whatever they want to call themselves...aka ..Marion, Duncan, Heights, Goonies... Hardly gangs-- Gangs actually are more orderly. They have, like, rules... and a heirarchy of command...LOL

Posted on: 2008/11/18 19:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park(ish)
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
I feel like we need a GrovePath Style Guide or some other sort of rules of order on how you come up with these headlines and what you choose to post.

It seems so arbitrary -- and always crappy news -- and just an overall bummer.

Sorry. I lova ya, but it's just too much sometimes.

I agree...I feel like everytime I look at the board there is more upsetting news. This is why we need to be able to balance the board out with light-hearted posts about movies, etc. where people don't have to always concentrate on the negativity or other people at your throat in disagreement.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 19:13

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017