Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Community groups in the Heights?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/3 19:00
From Heights - NE Corner
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ExUWSguy wrote:
Is anyone involved with these groups? Can you recommend any, or share your experience? I live on Sherman Avenue.

You probably fall under Heights Hope depending on what part of Sherman you're on. The CASID site is generally up to date for contact info and general meeting schedules.

The Police Department usually has a rep at every meeting so getting involved with any of the associations will help you get an overview of what's going on. I'm with the Washington Park Association and Riverview Neighborhood Association. PM me if you'd like.

Posted on: 2009/1/12 17:29

Community groups in the Heights?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/6 17:44
Group:
Banned
I read about a number of community groups, block associations, etc. in Jersey City Heights on the Central Avenue BID's website. I might want to get involved in my neighborhood, particularly because everything happening with the economy has people talking about the uptick in crime, hard times for our less well-off neighbors, etc.

Is anyone involved with these groups? Can you recommend any, or share your experience? I live on Sherman Avenue.

Posted on: 2009/1/12 16:41

Re: Can you post your local community meeting information?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/20 15:04
Group:
Registered Users
This lists a good number of local Heights groups, along with other info. I don't know how up to date the site is, tho.

Save the Palisades

Posted on: 2008/11/27 20:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/3 19:00
From Heights - NE Corner
Group:
Registered Users
I belong to two groups here in the Heights and there are many more. The Washington Park Association who's main mission is to revitalize, maintain and protect Washington Park in the Northeast corner of the Heights bordering Union City. We meet the first Monday of every month. More info and links to the WPA YahooGroup at the website.

I'm also involved with the Riverview Neighborhood Association which primarily cover Ogden & Palisade Avenues from Congress St. to Cuneo Place. More info on this and others at the Central Avenue Special Improvement District website.

Posted on: 2008/11/24 23:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wink wrote:
anything for the heights?

Depends on where you live. For Ogden Ave., Palisade Ave. try the Riverview Neighborhood Association. Held at the Riverview nursing home on Ogden and Franklin St. Second Tuesday of the month. There is the Police Captains Meeting which covers the entire Heights held at the Vietnam Vet's center at Pershing Field Park every first Monday. There may be more associations to find out call the Mayor's Action Bureau (201) 547-4900 I'm sure the Ward D Councilman Bill Gaughan has this information.

Posted on: 2008/11/24 23:12

Re: Information about block association
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Loly wrote:
I live in Jersey City, on Fairmount avenue and Kennedy Boulevard. I am new to the neighbrhood and I would like to be involeved in the community life. Does anybody knows the block association, the city council member and the community relations officer for that area? Thanks

Hello, neighbor. I'm on Fairmount on the other side of Bergen Ave.

There is a Fairmount Avenue Neighborhood Association, but it has not been very active in the past year.

Bergen Communities United is probably the most active but the weblinks aren't working properly.

I do know there's a lot happening in this area, much of which doesn't show yet. And there are long established, great things about this neighborhood too.

Try calling the Mayor's Action Bureau (main number at City Hall). I'd be interested to know how they direct you.

Also, PM me. I've been living here for over three years and am always happy to welcome a newbie to my hood.

Posted on: 2008/11/24 22:25

Information about block association

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/24 21:41
Group:
Registered Users
I live in Jersey City, on Fairmount avenue and Kennedy Boulevard. I am new to the neighbrhood and I would like to be involeved in the community life. Does anybody knows the block association, the city council member and the community relations officer for that area? Thanks

Posted on: 2008/11/24 21:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 4:16
Group:
Registered Users
anything for the heights?

Posted on: 2008/11/17 5:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
The residents of Liberty Harbor and Gulls Cove have formed a neighborhood association as well (so far we've had 2 monthly meetings). For now it is called the Liberty Harbor Neighborhood Association. We also meet the 3rd Wednesday of the month at 7:30. We meet at the Boys and Girls Club, 1 Canal Street (right next to the intersection of Grove and Grand).

Our next meeting is Wednesday the 19th. Our guest speaker will be Shelley Skinner from the Jersey City Families for Better Schools Coalition. In addition, Gary Greenberg from the Boys and Girls Club will give us a tour of the facilities, and discuss how members of the community can get involved.

Posted on: 2008/11/14 19:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/29 3:04
Group:
Registered Users
Info from the Harsimus Cove Association website:

Harsimus Cove Association:
Newark to 5th St
Marin Blvd to Monmouth St

We meet the 3rd Wednesday of every month (except August and December) 7:30 p.m., at the Community Room in Villa Borinquen.

To find it, look for the park and fountain on the corner Manila Ave (Grove Street) and Second Street. Go through the gate behind the fountain to the entrance.

Next Meeting:
Wednesday, November 19th, 7:30 pm

Info: HarsimusCoveAssociation-owner@yahoogroups.com.
Subscribe to Yahoo group: HarsimusCoveAssociation-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

http://www.harsimuscove.org/

Posted on: 2008/11/14 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Good idea! I still cant figure out what neighborhood the Beacon technically is in...per wiki, not JSQ, per your post not Lafayette...McGinley Sqr?

Sent a note to these guys, bounced back undeliverable http://www.mcginleysquare-jerseycity.com/ContactUs.html

Posted on: 2008/11/14 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
Here is a couple:
The area of Lafayette bordered by Grand , Liberty light rail, Carteret and Garfield.
The Communipaw Avenue Block Association
Meets on 2 Mondays of the month at
Monumental Baptist Church on corner of Van Horne and Lafayette Street
Time: 7 pm.
Next Meeting: November 17th, 2008

email for more info: commblock@msn.com
the group is responsible for many quality of life improvements in the area in the past decade.

More to come.....................

Posted on: 2008/11/14 17:15

Can you post your local community meeting information?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
It seems like some people on this list, especially the newer residents, would like to know where there are community group and when they meet.
Could we get some feedback?

I know there is one at Newport, there is one on Monticello, Lincoln park and around the Area of the Beacon...

I will post some in a bit.

It is upbuilding when we can share this information and state our opinions in public.

Thank you

Posted on: 2008/11/14 16:05

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017