Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: KIOSK BADGERING AT NEWPORT MALL
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I'm glad to hear that others are perpelxed by the "cheerleaders" on the roadside. I was never a cheerleader, but when fundraising as a child for whatever I WAS involved in, we never held buckets to passing by cars without "earning" it. Wash a car, bake a cookie, do SOMETHING!

And as far as the boys in the parking lot (I'm talking to you, Target) selling candies out of a big box, that is just insane. Does Target (or wherever) not have the power to stop this from happening on their property??

The cheerleaders are not cheerleaders. They are young girls basically being pimped out by their parents. It's horrible.

As for the kids selling the candy, I was in traffic on Marin yesterday and saw a group of rteen boys in their low jeans and those green nylon bomber jackets (streetwear! gangs! lol), smoking cigs, carrying big boxes of candy. Then a cop drives up behind me and the kids talk to each other all quick quick and suddenly decide to cross the street, away from the cop.

So legit.

Posted on: 2008/11/17 21:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/13 17:44
From Hamilton Park(ish)
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I'm glad to hear that others are perpelxed by the "cheerleaders" on the roadside. I was never a cheerleader, but when fundraising as a child for whatever I WAS involved in, we never held buckets to passing by cars without "earning" it. Wash a car, bake a cookie, do SOMETHING!

And as far as the boys in the parking lot (I'm talking to you, Target) selling candies out of a big box, that is just insane. Does Target (or wherever) not have the power to stop this from happening on their property??

If the "cheerleaders" are in fact not cheerleaders (nothing is 100% so I will give them 1% benefit of doubt), I can not help but blame the parents. There are always one or two parents sitting in the gas station lot watching out for the girls with buckets weaving in and out of dangerous traffic. Is this some sick money earning scheme that parents come up with? "You go out and look cute and pretend you are cheerleaders and we will split the profits 90/10"?

Posted on: 2008/11/17 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/11/17 19:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/29 21:28
From Downtown JC
Group:
Banned
Kids selling candy and cheerleaders. fakes. watch out. it's a profit scam.

Posted on: 2008/11/17 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GangsterNo1 wrote:
Good work Jillian, ever since you mentioned that scenerio, I've been way more skeptical of their methods. Do some actual work like Jillian did you fake cheerleaders.

I'm confused. Some people thought that they are actual cheerleaders? Are there people who think that the kids selling candy for their basketball team are real too?

Posted on: 2008/11/17 19:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown JC
Group:
Banned
Good work Jillian, ever since you mentioned that scenerio, I've been way more skeptical of their methods. Do some actual work like Jillian did you fake cheerleaders.

Posted on: 2008/11/17 19:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park(ish)
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GangsterNo1 wrote:
Jillian, that is definitely a thought, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt. Next time, I'm going to ask when's the next game.

Interestingly as I drove through the Holland Tunnel traffic yesterday (Sunday) with my husband, we were stopped at a red light and a "cheerleader" approached our car. My husband rolled down the window and told her (these were teenagers) that we don't believe they are cheerleaders. She asked why and we told her that Saturday's and Sunday's are football game days and they should be cheering. She said it is too cold and laughed. We then told her that if we see them do cheers we would gladly donate a couple dollars. We also mentioned that they are there ALL the time and she played dumb. I just really don't get it. When I was a cheerleader we did fundraising by making cookies, having a carwash, etc...not standing on the side of the road asking for donations.

She never tried to convince us that she really is a cheerleader, and when we asked them what school or organization they cheer for, she couldn't answer-she only said the name of the cheer group named on her sweatshirt.
I don't mean to sound so pessimistic, but I really just want to know the deal.

Posted on: 2008/11/17 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
7368 - I agree with you totally. This still is a free country and we do not have to stand to have these horrid folks in our face! And fishsticks is cool - how about " Fishsticks and Lollipops!".

Posted on: 2008/11/17 16:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/27 1:27
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
To everyone else - any good responses that we can all say in fun? I still kinda like " I like lollipops!".

Say "FISHSTICKS!!!" in the most enthusiastic voice you can muster.

Posted on: 2008/11/17 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
1djcview said "as far as the people who hand you stuff when you get off the PATH train, if you don't want it, DON'T TAKE IT. Jersey City has become an attractive place to live at least partly because of its cultural amenities, including restaurants and art events, so flyering at a train station is to be expected. If you don't want someone offering you a flyer about a quality-of-life element of your community, then have the limo drop you at home. Purposely stepping on someone's flyers is beyond cynical; it's violent and makes you a jerk.

What is an "acceptable" way to make a living?"

1djcview, just to clear the air here I already take your advice and DONT TAKE ANY FLYERS FROM THE BADGERERS. For the record I am now where near wealthy enough to " Have the limo drop you at home" and to assume so is incredibly presumptuous and arrogant of you in an extremely liberal way. My complaint lies in the fact that I very strongly dislike people shoving $hit in my face in a gross attempt to influence my spending decisions, and in doing so invading my personal space. If you want to reach me in an effective way buy an F#$%^ stamp and mail it to me!
I have had these scumbags sing and dance in an attempt to get me to take their stupid flyers. In line with your advice I still don't take it and in fact, when the BADGERER said " I do all this and you still don't take it?" I said " I don't even like when you guys don't sing and dance.
I think that people should be fined for unsolicited harassment by way of shoving paper in your face.
I know that it is a free country and people will continue to do this but, because it is a free country a have a variety of options in the way I react, as do all people. I do not feel bad for them, it is a profession that they chose when they decided to skip class or drop out of HS or have sex and get pregnant when they were 15. These are all choices and they created their own destiny.
Don't get me wrong I love local business in the Grove area and want nothing but to support the good businesses that improve the area and I look forward to the day when all the dollar stores and discount crap stores that don't have the work ethic to fix their decaying signs are gone.
As far as "What is an acceptable way to make a living?" I suppose "Living" means different things to different people so that's impossible to answer. I would say if the government isn't paying you any money and you don't live on the streets then you are making a living.

Posted on: 2008/11/17 4:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
nothing like getting a good 'rub-up' in public . . . and making noises like you're just about to reach an orgasm, makes the asian ladies blush.

Once finished, I hand over the money and say 'you make me very horny and wink at them'

Posted on: 2008/11/15 23:08
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ok then - a few more folks that don't mind being badgered in the mall. I still think they are a bit odd, but it's still a free country - enjoy your daily badgering! To everyone else - any good responses that we can all say in fun? I still kinda like " I like lollipops!". By the way guys - I also work in retail, at Wegmans, where customer service is job #1. I know a thing or two about retail sales and the correct way to get them. Lemme tell ya - badgering is not it. And thus far I have always been respectful to the skin care idiots while I pass in the evenings after picking up my partner, who by the way owns his own successful retail shop in the city. Each time, and every time, after we quickly say no thanks, we also receive a very sarcastic " Have a good day" at 8:30pm! These guys see us about the same time every day - why must they still do this? What is the sense of it?

Posted on: 2008/11/15 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
if i feel like looking at what they've got, i'll look. i don't feel obligated to buy or anything. mostly, i ignore it and keep going. if someone touches me, then at the very least they get a look that backs them up fast.

a 10-minute massage is never a bad idea, but i don't always have time, so then i'll pass them by. also, i have found they have a weird vibe about them and at least once it translated to my massager talking to another massager a mile a minute during my treatment, which i don't like.

sometimes, being sales-targeted in a public place like that is annoying and if i'm in a bad enough mood, it can piss me off. but that's my problem, not the seller's.

we live in a consumer driven society and i'm not going to blame somebody who needs a job that bad for trying to do it well.

the flirty, hey baby, have sex with me -- oops, not really, but buy this skin stuff routine is truly obnoxious. still, it's the same thing. they're trying to do a job, probably out of their league, culturally, and they look foolish. and yet, it probably works sometimes.

why would you put anyone down for trying to make a living? if it didn't work on some level, the job wouldn't be available. you might not want to, or need to do it, but bless your stars you don't have to.

as far as the people who hand you stuff when you get off the PATH train, if you don't want it, DON'T TAKE IT. Jersey City has become an attractive place to live at least partly because of its cultural amenities, including restaurants and art events, so flyering at a train station is to be expected. If you don't want someone offering you a flyer about a quality-of-life element of your community, then have the limo drop you at home. Purposely stepping on someone's flyers is beyond cynical; it's violent and makes you a jerk.

What is an "acceptable" way to make a living?

Posted on: 2008/11/15 18:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:
I agree with the people who feel that it's not so bad. I never feel that I'm being "harassed." They say, "Excuse me, can I ask you a question?" And I say, "No thanks," and continue on my way, and that's the extent of it. I walk fast, so there's not much chance for a follow-up.

They really are just trying to make a living, and I'm sure they dont' make a whole lot of money. I used to work in a mall (though not at a kiosk) for $7.50 an hour. We had to greet every person who came in and wait two minutes and then ask if they needed help. I followed the rules because if you didn't and the wrong person walked in (a secret shopper), it could cost you your raise on the next go-around. I appreciated the people who were polite and knew I was just doing my job, trying to get by.

Oh, and if you think it's a horrid experience to be stopped every day on your way to the PATH, trying putting yourself in their shoes and having to go through the same song and dance with every person who walks by. Who knows, maybe they work on commission.

It's true, whenever they bother me and I say no thanks they leave me alone. I cannot imagine that working at a kiosk in the mall is fun (maybe it is I don't know) and having to greet people constantly sucks. Based on other responses here I am sure that the funny things said to them have actually made them laugh. Either say no thanks or think of something witty to say to make them smile.

Posted on: 2008/11/15 18:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/24 3:06
Group:
Registered Users
I just got a sweet new phone from a kiosk badgerer at newport. I paid half of what tmobile.com wanted to charge me.

thanks jclist!

Posted on: 2008/11/15 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with the people who feel that it's not so bad. I never feel that I'm being "harassed." They say, "Excuse me, can I ask you a question?" And I say, "No thanks," and continue on my way, and that's the extent of it. I walk fast, so there's not much chance for a follow-up.

They really are just trying to make a living, and I'm sure they dont' make a whole lot of money. I used to work in a mall (though not at a kiosk) for $7.50 an hour. We had to greet every person who came in and wait two minutes and then ask if they needed help. I followed the rules because if you didn't and the wrong person walked in (a secret shopper), it could cost you your raise on the next go-around. I appreciated the people who were polite and knew I was just doing my job, trying to get by.

Oh, and if you think it's a horrid experience to be stopped every day on your way to the PATH, trying putting yourself in their shoes and having to go through the same song and dance with every person who walks by. Who knows, maybe they work on commission.

Posted on: 2008/11/15 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So - very glad to see that almost everyone here agrees with me on this - with the exception of the few odd folks that think this is an acceptable way to make a living! So - now- I think that perhaps we should all come up with a really far out response that we can all start saying to them! Something harmless and fun - like " Yes, I like lollipops!" - What do you all think? We can really turn a horrid experience every day during our work commute into something fun and at the same time freak them out a bit! Suggestions?

Posted on: 2008/11/15 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
The Israeli Dead Sea Salt guys are the worst. He grabbed my hand and started telling me that I needed to have his product. He then started asking if I was Jewish and that I had beautiful eyes and that I must be Safardic. Very weird experience especially since I'm Italian/Irish and don't swing that way. They wanted something like 40 bucks for that scrub which I thought was crazy.

AHHHH! that sucks, I would have ran in the opposite direction as fast as possible and never looked back. I had a similar experience at one of those but the person working was a cute girl so I got suckerd into staying for a few minutes.

Posted on: 2008/11/15 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
The Israeli Dead Sea Salt guys are the worst. He grabbed my hand and started telling me that I needed to have his product. He then started asking if I was Jewish and that I had beautiful eyes and that I must be Safardic. Very weird experience especially since I'm Italian/Irish and don't swing that way. They wanted something like 40 bucks for that scrub which I thought was crazy.

Posted on: 2008/11/15 16:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 13:32
Group:
Registered Users
I'm on Minne's side here. Yes, they're annoying, but it's also their job. Do you think it sounds fun to approach random strangers again and again for probably less than $10/hour? Whatever happened to a polite "No, thank you."? Trying to trick them or ask if they're posing you a sexual question is rude and unnecessary.

Posted on: 2008/11/15 16:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/24 2:40
Group:
Registered Users
LOL...This is a rather disturbingly amusing thread...

Well, the massage ladies don't harrass me..Thank goodness.

But I used to be assailed by the Israeli women with the Dead Sea Salts every time...

Most of them were cute...But what annoyed me even more then their aggressive tactics, was the fact that they totally played up their cutesy bs...They always approached with a very flirtatious manner...

Sooo, and I know this is kinda bad, but...lol...After the first coupla times; I said to myself, ok, if they wanna play that game...

So, whenever I would walk by and they would start in with their, "Helloooo, can I ask you a question..?" (eyelash bat, bat, and demure smile)...

I would say..."Only if it is sexual..." lol

I just couldn't resist...

That would always stop them in their tracks...!!

Doesn't really work so well with the dudes though...lol...

I just ignore them; generally that works too...

Maybe I should do the same though...lol...That might REALLY stop them!! lol

It is pretty amazing though...I cannot imagine how they think that is acceptable customer relations...Very strange.

Cheers!!

Nab

Posted on: 2008/11/15 11:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
The folks that work at the kiosk stands do not bother me. I just smile and continue walking quietly and they understand and say good day. The way I see it is they are trying to earn a living and doing their jobs.

The other day I was at Macy?s and waited 20 minutes for service at the Dior counter. I ended up leaving. At one time they had a very good associate there that was great with customer service, but she?s gone now.

Perhaps Macy?s should recruit some of the aggressive kiosk workers... they are not lazy or shy.

Posted on: 2008/11/14 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Why just a buck? Why not ask for a fin?

Posted on: 2008/11/13 14:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown JC
Group:
Banned
Jillian, that is definitely a thought, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt. Next time, I'm going to ask when's the next game.

Posted on: 2008/11/13 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jillianp wrote:
Quote:

GangsterNo1 wrote:
My favourite badgering is 1. The 25 year olds selling candy out of the box and saying it's for the HS football team and 2. the cheerleaders at the corner of 14th and Erie collecting money.

I am all for fundraising, but lets have more creativity, some actual work to earn the money for your organisation would be fantastic.

Regarding the cheerleaders near the Holland Tunnel...I have a theory about them and without getting too detailed I do not really believe they are cheerleaders...
is this horrible for me to think?

Not horrible at all. I think that maybe the solution in regards to the Mall Kiosk creatures is to stop there everyday and constantly get free samples from the skin care folks. After a couple of days they would try to avoid you. Or maybe just ask to "borrow" a dollar everytime they approach you?

Posted on: 2008/11/13 14:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park(ish)
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GangsterNo1 wrote:
My favourite badgering is 1. The 25 year olds selling candy out of the box and saying it's for the HS football team and 2. the cheerleaders at the corner of 14th and Erie collecting money.

I am all for fundraising, but lets have more creativity, some actual work to earn the money for your organisation would be fantastic.

Regarding the cheerleaders near the Holland Tunnel...I have a theory about them and without getting too detailed I do not really believe they are cheerleaders...
is this horrible for me to think?

Posted on: 2008/11/13 14:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown JC
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2008/11/13 14:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/1 12:54
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Ygor wrote:
Quote:

ansky wrote:
The worst are those people on the first floor near Sears always asking if you want a massage.

Highlight of many a weekend for me!

Resized Image

"Hey G.I.Joe! You like massage? 20 dolla, OK? Sears credit card accepted. Me love you long time."

Who can actually relax during these massages? There are dozens of people walking around you yammering etc. I always expect some mall "thug" to punch one of the customers in the face through the little hole in the head-rest. Would be kind of funny in a demented way.

That is often a challenge esp in the chairs near the footwear store that often plays loud music (and whose staff/clients often sing along). But it is not too much of a task to zone out for the 20 mins or so. I would imagine some ipod earbuds would be a welcome addition to the experience.
Generally choosing a less crowded time of the day to go makes all the difference in the world with regard to noise intrusions during a quick backrub.

Posted on: 2008/11/13 14:06

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/30 21:20
Group:
Registered Users
So which order is it?

A: Kiosk badgering is a step up from telemarketing; or

B: Telemarketing is a step up from kiosk badgering?

Posted on: 2008/11/13 12:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
I think those guys are a nice comedic edition to the shopping experience. I walk really fast, and I'm a guy, so those hand cream guys don't really bother me, but I always get a laugh watching them follow old ladies 20 or 30 steps borderline insulting them... I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during an initial marketing meeting... "Instead of investing some advertising dollars or soliciting retail stores for distribution, we have decided on a brilliant business model. We get a bunch of middle eastern immigrants who can barely speak english to harass women as they walk past in the mall." Brilliant, just brilliant. It could be worse, they could be pushing Mona Vie...

Posted on: 2008/11/13 5:29

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017