Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 12 »

Re: ox restaurant
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
...It's a grown up restaurant, it's not a place for kids. This is not a big social statement, it's just FACT. I know several pretty open-minded, sophisticated kids who do really well there, but it's not built for kids. Which is perfectly fine.

So you can discern this since there's no Kashi organic cereal with dried fruit and granola bits all over the floor?

Posted on: 2008/11/11 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
LOL -- i would be surprised if Ox was catering to children with their mac and cheese. It's a grown up restaurant, it's not a place for kids. This is not a big social statement, it's just FACT. I know several pretty open-minded, sophisticated kids who do really well there, but it's not built for kids. Which is perfectly fine.

Posted on: 2008/11/11 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
...and improve ventilation, so the patrons don't freeze in order for the kitchen staff to survive the heat.

but it's a huge testament to the quality of the food at Ox - and the caliber of staff serving it - that we will happily put up with mild physical discomfort in order to enjoy a fantastic meal.

Posted on: 2008/11/10 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
they can?t hear even when the restaurant isn?t full

it is def an issue, but that's a bit of an exageration.

i do agree that they should take additional measures to dampen the noice level.

Posted on: 2008/11/10 20:10

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/21 17:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moxiebaby wrote:
The appetizer was incredibly tender. I thought the mac + cheese would've been more decadent

Maybe the mac and cheese is aimed at kids.

To me, the decadent Marco and Pepe mac and cheese is wonderful, but small children tend to want their mac and cheese pretty plain.[/quote

Children who are raised on plain Mac and Cheese will like plain Mac and cheese. Others will enjoy the decadent variety. Children like to eat what they are accustomed to eating.

Keep this in mind:
http://www.izzyeats.com/2007/08/eat-w ... d-your-children-will.html

Also, if the new apps are anything like last year's venison sliders, I am sure they are amazing!

http://www.izzyeats.com/2008/02/merry ... nd-of-ox-visit-three.html

Posted on: 2008/11/8 5:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

moxiebaby wrote:
The appetizer was incredibly tender. I thought the mac + cheese would've been more decadent

Maybe the mac and cheese is aimed at kids.

To me, the decadent Marco and Pepe mac and cheese is wonderful, but small children tend to want their mac and cheese pretty plain.

Posted on: 2008/11/8 4:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

4bailey wrote:
I agree. Sondra was the BEST!

I don?t know if any of the Ox staff / management / owners read this forum, but here?s a suggestion or two?

First,... I wonder if Ox might entertain the suggestion of a ?$0 corkage night? for one night a week on their least busy weeknight. A couple years ago, Montrachet in NYC tried a $0 corkage night on their weakest night (Monday) and soon Monday nights at Montrachet were crazy busy. I don?t know if the laws in Jersey City prohibit this or if the JC demographics would support this notion, but I could see this having appeal to a wino like me as well as those who are looking to save a buck or two in a soft economy. You could always try a $0 corkage night, and if you don?t get an uptick in business, return to the usual policy. Just curious, would anyone else on jclist be more inclined to go to Ox on a $0 corkage weeknight??..

Second,? I?ve brought quite a few of my foodie friends to Ox. They love the food, but they complain about the acoustics; some are reluctant to return because they can?t hear even when the restaurant isn?t full. I have to agree. If you?re part of a group that?s larger than 4 people, it is very difficult to carry on a conversation. Would doing something as simple as putting some tapestries on the walls in spots or fabric on the ceiling help?...

I love the food and I?d really like Ox to succeed. I hope my suggestions are taken as constructively as they are meant.
As many of you know, I have been a supporter of Ox from opening night but I do agree with 4baily on both points.

I certainly would go to my wine storage for a $0 corkage night?it?s a great suggestion and is legal for them to do.

The noise level has been an issue from the get-go?the paintings help but additional noise dampening would be welcome.

Posted on: 2008/11/7 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 13:46
From Intersection of Venerated @ Ensconced
Group:
Registered Users
I agree. Sondra was the BEST!

I don?t know if any of the Ox staff / management / owners read this forum, but here?s a suggestion or two?

First,... I wonder if Ox might entertain the suggestion of a ?$0 corkage night? for one night a week on their least busy weeknight. A couple years ago, Montrachet in NYC tried a $0 corkage night on their weakest night (Monday) and soon Monday nights at Montrachet were crazy busy. I don?t know if the laws in Jersey City prohibit this or if the JC demographics would support this notion, but I could see this having appeal to a wino like me as well as those who are looking to save a buck or two in a soft economy. You could always try a $0 corkage night, and if you don?t get an uptick in business, return to the usual policy. Just curious, would anyone else on jclist be more inclined to go to Ox on a $0 corkage weeknight??..

Second,? I?ve brought quite a few of my foodie friends to Ox. They love the food, but they complain about the acoustics; some are reluctant to return because they can?t hear even when the restaurant isn?t full. I have to agree. If you?re part of a group that?s larger than 4 people, it is very difficult to carry on a conversation. Would doing something as simple as putting some tapestries on the walls in spots or fabric on the ceiling help?...

I love the food and I?d really like Ox to succeed. I hope my suggestions are taken as constructively as they are meant.

Posted on: 2008/11/7 14:13
"Dogs are our link to paradise." - Milan Kundera

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Checked out Ox last night and definitely will be going back. Had the seared angus appetizer and the 1/2 order of mac/cheese. The chef was then nice enough to throw in a dessert sample when I asked for my bill.
Anyway, want to go back and try the sambal chicken drumstick + the arrancini (both from the bar menu).

Posted on: 2008/11/7 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
was wondering where she was. she was married to a guy I went to HS with in N Jersey (for a year anyway). Had not seen him since graduation. small world, 'n whatnot...

Posted on: 2008/11/6 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

May wrote:
The managers name was Sondra. Apparently she has moved to the NJ shore.
Sondra was great and I miss her welcoming personality. She is now in Red Bank NJ at a very good restaurant call ?Red??It?s worth a trip south.

Posted on: 2008/11/6 18:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 12:48
Group:
Registered Users
The managers name was Sondra. Apparently she has moved to the NJ shore.

Posted on: 2008/11/6 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
I went to OX one night last week. I've always wanted to sit at the bar because the bar menu looks so good. I got in right at the end of happy hour and got a half-price glass of wine. I tried the oyster po'boy (tiny but delicious) and a slider (good). Then, still hungry, I had a deviled egg. It really left me wanting more all week. The bartender was really friendly and it was a good, affordable delicious little snack. I will definitely do that again.

Posted on: 2008/11/6 17:14
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Totally agree! BTW, anyone know what happened to the previous hostess/manager. She was blond, very friendly, accommodating and then one day she was no longer there. Not a big deal, just wondering.

Posted on: 2008/11/6 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
interesting news from the Ox Bar:

1) happy hour runs till 9, half priced beer and daily mixed drink specials

2) bar open from 11 to 1 am with some kind of martini deal (can not remember details)

3) no more cheese and cured meat on the bar menu (olives gone as well?).

4) perhaps one of the best bar snacks I've ever come across new on the menu: honey glazed (i think) drumsticks. sort of braised, fall off the bone style. $2 or $3 for 2 chix drumsticks.

5) other new(sih) bar bites were good, sliders, oyster po-boy (slider size), pearl onion/mushroom salad (marinated).

anyway, great stuff as always. support this place everyone, best food in the area.

Posted on: 2008/11/6 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Fyi, Ox is changing hours. As of 11/8, closed on Sundays, but open on Mondays (yay!). Also, serving lunch on Saturdays and bar is open until 1 now on weekends.

http://www.oxrestaurant.com/

Posted on: 2008/11/6 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Was back recently to sample some of the new menu. Lamb Shank ragu was $$$, looking forward to trying the Chix/waffle dish.

Also has a sweet potato salad (w/arugula?) that was excellent.

Was quiet in the for a Sat night, hope they are doing OK!

Posted on: 2008/10/14 16:53

Re: OX Restaurant opens for lunch for private parties
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/17 0:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Hospitality1 wrote:
In JC it seems almost impossible to find a place that has both consistent food and good service.

Agreed on the consistency... Ox is still great on return visits! I like their new tapas style menu where you can order only half portions at half the price and try more of their other menu items in one visit.

Posted on: 2008/10/14 2:47

OX Restaurant opens for lunch for private parties

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/13 13:42
Group:
Registered Users
In JC it seems almost impossible to find a place that has both consistent food and good service. I found it at the OX, the Chefs/Owners Nicole and Ed are formally of Marco & Pepe and opened the OX November of last year. The food is quite simply the best JC has to offer. The critics agree, NY Times gave them an "Excellent", Star Ledger the same and NJ Monthly just voted them "Best New Restaurant" I have never had a bad meal at this restaurant and have dined there over a dozen times in the past month alone. It is not unusual to see the owners in the front of the house greeting the guests and coaching the staff. When I inquired about the holiday event for my company the catering manager told me they would gladly open for lunch to facilitate our group. The prices are super reasonable with packages starting at just $25 a head.

The critics are right about this place, "a bright beacon in the ever changing face of Newark Ave"

Posted on: 2008/9/24 18:10

Re: Ox restaurant is fabulous
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/3 19:15
Group:
Banned
Ed is a great guy

Posted on: 2008/9/19 8:18

Ox restaurant is fabulous
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/2 23:04
Group:
Banned
Someone told me Ox was the best place to eat in JC. So I went with some friends last Friday night and guess what? Ox is really really excellent. Food was great - especially loved the Oxtail appetizer, mussels, scallops, chicken - everything.

It's such a small front on Newark Ave - I've gone right by it many times without noticing.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 1:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 13:31
Group:
Banned
Quote:

craige wrote:
Also, the prices on the menu outside did not match the prices on the menus we were given and the prices on our bill were different again! They were evened out in the end, so we decided not to bother complaining, but it was a bit annoying. (Example: outside scallops were listed at $22, on the menu, $26 and on our bill $24.) The other entree was also prices 3 different ways and both our drinks were priced differently on the bill vs. on the menu.

Unfortunately, this is not uncommon. I doubt that it's intentional though. It happens when too many people are involved in the menu process. I generally pay attention to such things mostly out of curiosity. And I'll generally point it out since it's something that management usually wants to know and definitely needs to know.

Posted on: 2008/8/29 23:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/21 17:23
Group:
Registered Users
craige wrote:
Quote:
After waiting a while for our entree, my husband said he really wanted to bread to nosh on. I asked a waiter and he said they don't have bread. Huh. How do they make their sandwiches? Anyway, I then said, "well, could we have some more popcorn?" He said he wasn't sure, but he'd check. He wasn't sure? Come on.

I adore OX but I can't believe they have reverted to the "no bread" shennanigans..When it first happened just after opening I chalked it up to newness issues..

http://www.izzyeats.com/2007/10/ox-tales-stewin.html

Has popcorn become the new bread?

Posted on: 2008/8/29 23:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/12/4 22:04
Group:
Registered Users
Have been to Ox once for brunch and now once for dinner. We really enjoyed the brunch and it is a great bang for your buck (kind of like going to brunch at Amanda's in Hoboken; the dinners are way too pricey but the brunches are great and priced same as other brunches around town).

The food we had at dinner was all superb. The octopus app was scrumptious. The blackened catfish was delish and so were the scallops. The service was excellent. The manager (or whoever he was) came over to check on us and asked if he had any questions. When I asked if the octopus app tasted strongly of fennel, he was honest in his answer, which I appreciated. (He said the flavor is there, but it's not overwhelming and he was right, I'd say.)

Those were the good points. Now for the bad. We had to wait a good while between app and entrees. It was late (after 9 on a week night) and so we were hungry. We had polished off our bowl of popcorn before the app arrived and the waitress had taken it away. After waiting a while for our entree, my husband said he really wanted to bread to nosh on. I asked a waiter and he said they don't have bread. Huh. How do they make their sandwiches? Anyway, I then said, "well, could we have some more popcorn?" He said he wasn't sure, but he'd check. He wasn't sure? Come on. No one was apologetic about the wait either. Also, the prices on the menu outside did not match the prices on the menus we were given and the prices on our bill were different again! They were evened out in the end, so we decided not to bother complaining, but it was a bit annoying. (Example: outside scallops were listed at $22, on the menu, $26 and on our bill $24.) The other entree was also prices 3 different ways and both our drinks were priced differently on the bill vs. on the menu.

All in all, we will probably go back when friends are visiting and we want to take them somewhere upscale. I am still really glad this place opened on Newark. I hope it is a sign of more upscale places to come. Bring on the gentrification!

Posted on: 2008/8/29 22:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
I liked the fact that there is a restaurant called the Frog and the Peach in New Brunswick.

Frog a la peche and peche a la frog.

Aynybody remember that? Dear old Dud and Pete. They are missed.

Posted on: 2008/8/1 18:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/1 22:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sinik wrote:
New Jersey Monthly did an article on the top 25 restuarants in New Jersey. Ox is mentioned several times

In the critics picks Ox was the best new restaurant, Edward's was the best Steakhouse and Light Horse tavern the best bar scene

That has no credibility in my book given the mention of Edwards as the best steak house. How many times have they been there? Really? How many? It's the most inconsistent restaurant I have been to in JC.

Posted on: 2008/8/1 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
New Jersey Monthly did an article on the top 25 restuarants in New Jersey. Ox is mentioned several times

In the critics picks Ox was the best new restaurant, Edward's was the best Steakhouse and Light Horse tavern the best bar scene

Posted on: 2008/8/1 12:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/3 9:01
Group:
Registered Users
WOW!!!

Posted on: 2008/8/1 5:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Went last night for the first time. Crowded for the middle of the week and a tad noisy, but that can't be helped when a restaurant is that full. At first, I thought it was chintzy that they put down popcorn insead of bread, but was pleasantly suprised to discover the popcorn had been popped in truffle oil - very decadent! Had the grilled octopus as a starter and was delighted with it, and my friend had the pork spare ribs - so tender the meat just slid right off the bones. I didn't think the appetizer portions were small at all. Mine was just right and friend was so full from the pork spare ribs, she couldn't finish the main dish. That prompted a visit from the hostess, who was concerned that something might be wrong with the food. That wasn't the case at all (excellent, attentive service). I only wish they had some more lighter fare for main dishes as it's the height of summer. I ordered the tagliatelle with basil pesto by default because it seemed like the lightest dish. No complaints with the quality, but it was something I could've made myself. In hindsight I should've just ordered a second appetizer rather than something off the main course menu.

Posted on: 2008/7/17 12:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

njfoodie wrote:
I love this place...both the food and the bar are great. The menu offers a wide variety of items, and you actaully get a full plate of food. Cozy atmosphere, off the beaten path and service has always been great... waiters and bartenders are so friendly. Can't go wrong with this place!

You are so silly. We get the joke. Next.

Posted on: 2008/7/17 1:49

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 12 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017