Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Extremely dangerous and irresponsible conduct of PATH train service Halloween night 2008
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
To be fair, when I went through my emails this morning there was a PATH alert warning of delays at 3:00 am or so on the 33rd/HOB/JSQ line. Not that this would have helped us Saturday morning (didn't bring the Dingleberry out to party) but it's worth subscribing to if one regularly uses PATH.

I actually think the PATH is very well run compared to the NYC subway. In almost 10 years of daily commuting I can count the major inconveniences due to failures on one hand. I've had way more problems on the subway despite only using it about once a week.

Posted on: 2008/11/4 2:55

Re: Extremely dangerous and irresponsible conduct of PATH train service Halloween night 2008
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
It's sad to hear these PATH horror stories. But frankly, you have to be insane to go to the Village on Halloween.

Posted on: 2008/11/3 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I got on the Path at 23rd sometime after 3am. Im glad I didnt have to deal with my train staying in one spot for 30 minutes like some of you said. My train took a extra 5 minutes every stop trying close the doors, but most of the people didnt all fit in the train. Maybe that extra few minutes each stop caused the delay of the train after mine.

Posted on: 2008/11/3 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Then I got over to the PATH station and took the elevator down to where the turnstiles are (convenient when you have luggage). As I was about to go through the turnstile, there were three PATH employees chatting away, doing very little of course, and I stopped to ask them if there was an elevator in the WTC station that goes down to the platform. One guy automatically shook his head no. The other guy said, oh, I think there's one way at the back of the station that takes you way to the back of the platform, but it's iffy, doesn't always work. So I walked way to the back of the station, lo and behold, there was a working elevator, with another employee sitting next to it doing nothing, who let me take it. I told him that the employees at the other end of the station don't seem to know this elevator is here, you might want to educate them, as I just learned something today. He just laughed.

The Port Authority might not like operating the PATH, but since when was the Port Authority like a regular business? They are a public service and should do the jobs they are responsible for doing, like it or not. There are a lot of things I don't like about my job, but I still get up every day and do them.

If you could call PATH with your experience let them know what occured even send them this posting. When I go through the turnstile to take the elevator up to the street the "security" guard always seems to stand in the way when I am turning into the pathway towards the elevator. There isn't much for them to do but to stand watch and be ready for questions from passengers. Similar to a clock or refridgerator it just sits there till someone either opens it or looks at it. What were you expecting them to do while on duty. Granted they should know where the elevators are not just scratching their heads. And the security guard standing by the elevator should not have laughed and his job is just to stand there that is if you see him he may have other tasks that you don't know of, at least he was a little more well versed in his job. Next time if you have a problem as such then you may have to miss you train and take the time to pick up one of those passenger phone handsets and call PATH customer service or try to look for one of the PATH customer service agents in the RED jackets. I assume you can't expect much from these security guards so remember this for next time.

Posted on: 2008/11/3 15:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/7 17:24
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Robocub wrote:
Fishmonger, you got some issues man. I am not here for any particular agenga. I'm a resident of JC and since I use the Path a A LOT, and I have some serious gripes with it, thats what I tend to write about.

What I really get annoyed at is when poeple complain complain complain on these forum websites and they expect someone to listen and fix it. That is NOT going to happen. If poeple want somehting fixed, they need to comaplain tot he approrpriate place. That is why I try to steer people to the right place to submit a complaint.

Now regarding Fixmypath, I do realize it is BS site, but I posted about it because I thought at the time it was a good way for people to be able to submit feedback. That said, I also always include the Path customer service email for people to write complaints directly to the PA.

So I'm so sorry I ONLY post about Path issues here. The Path is a major part JC and one of it's biggest problems. If you want to post about other subjects then go right ahead. Last time I heard this was a still a Democracy, at least for the next 2 days.

Quote:

fishmonger wrote:
Quote:

grovester wrote:
Wow, it sounds like what you all need is more entrances to the Newport PATH station.

(I'm kidding. If you don't get it, just skip this post entirely.)

Hey Grovester,

I thought the exact same thing. Funny how the only posts robocub seems to ever care about are ones pertaining to complaints about the path train. Then he hypocritically says "I hate seeing people complain about the path train! DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT ALREADY! BLAH BLAH BLAH.." When is the webmaster going to figure out that this guy is only on here because he has an agenda to fill! This is SPAM. Anyone who participates for the fixmypath.org "petition" is being suckered. Someone has an agenda to create a second entrance at the Newport/Pavonia path station, and they're willing to mislead you on this website and use your name and information for their personal gain. This is NOT about fixing the path! This is about exploiting people!

I may have my issues Robocub, but regardless of whatever issues you believe I may have, you still should have been up front about the fixmypath website. What I don't like is being purposely mislead to give out my personal information for someone else's agenda to fix issues at Newport path. If you had communicated that the website focused on the Newport station instead of the whole entirety of the PATH system, I would never have signed up for this petition. I would have only emailed them directly. If you realize the fixmypath.com is a BS site, STOP PROMOTING IT! Oh, and by the way, don't take my inventory. Figure out your own problems before you go judging others, otherwise you end up looking like a complete a!*hole. You're free to have the last word.

Posted on: 2008/11/3 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
this sounds like a nightmare. I was on the PATH around the same time, and I now realize how lucky I was to have taken the train from WTC.Quote:

Robocub wrote:
I had the great misfortune to be on the PATH train last night NJ bound on the 33St-Journal Sq line. At around 3:30am the Path pulled into the 14th St. station in Manhattan. At which time the train was beyond capacity already, yet passengers on the platform tried to push their way on the dangerously over crowded train. The air conditioning was not operating on the train. Because of the over crowding, the train sat at 14th St. for about 15 minutes. After waiting for about 10 minutes at a stand still, the train conductor closed the doors and the train continued to sit in the station for about 30 minutes. It was a cattle car with passengers packed in way beyond capacity to a dangerous level. Combined with the lack of air and the heat, all the passengers were in a highly agitated state. People were beginning to panic and some were starting fights. Even as PA cops came down the station as we could see through the windows, passengers were begging for the train doors to be opened, nothing was done to alleviate these horrendous conditions. After about 30 minutes the train moved onto the next station, 9th St. As scary as the experience was so far, the train stopped in the tunnel before reaching 9th St. We sat there with no air conditioning or announcement in sardine-can conditions for another 30 minutes. Passengers were beginning to pass out and a lot of people were getting volatile. Eventually someone had the good sense to hit the Emergency button and miraculously the train moved into 9th Street. Hoards of passengers escaped the train once we arrived at 9th Street. Why the train was sitting in the tunnel was never explained.

I cannot begin to describe how extremely dangerous and scary this whole situation was. Not once did any PA personnel make an announcement explaining the situation. Passengers were begging to be let off the train at 14th St but the doors were kept closed which was an outrage and beyond dangerous. This was a major public safety hazard and an outrage that the Port Authority can run the PATH system in such a reckless and dangerous manner putting the safety of passengers at risk.

I encourage anyone who was on that train on Halloween night coming home to Jersey City to register a complaint with the PA at this email address. PATHCustomerService@panynj.gov

Posted on: 2008/11/3 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Know what kills me with regard to the PATH? Its own employees don't even know where things are in the very stations in which they work. What a joke. I was getting back into Penn Station Thursday night with a lot of luggage, having just gotten off Amtrak. I decided to take the E train from Penn down to WTC and the catch the PATH home there. Going up the flight of stairs from the subway wasn't fun, but manageable. Then I got over to the PATH station and took the elevator down to where the turnstiles are (convenient when you have luggage). As I was about to go through the turnstile, there were three PATH employees chatting away, doing very little of course, and I stopped to ask them if there was an elevator in the WTC station that goes down to the platform. One guy automatically shook his head no. The other guy said, oh, I think there's one way at the back of the station that takes you way to the back of the platform, but it's iffy, doesn't always work. So I walked way to the back of the station, lo and behold, there was a working elevator, with another employee sitting next to it doing nothing, who let me take it. I told him that the employees at the other end of the station don't seem to know this elevator is here, you might want to educate them, as I just learned something today. He just laughed.

The Port Authority might not like operating the PATH, but since when was the Port Authority like a regular business? They are a public service and should do the jobs they are responsible for doing, like it or not. There are a lot of things I don't like about my job, but I still get up every day and do them.

Posted on: 2008/11/3 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, these tales are horrible. Obviously, PATH should have been running rush hour service late into the night.

We lucked out taking the PATH to 14th St. around 8 pm, enjoying the costumed crowd, watching the parade, and going out to party and dance. I'm so glad that we went with my gf's decision to get a cab, go downtown for some post-party dive bar drinks and take the WTC PATH home.

Posted on: 2008/11/3 1:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/1 15:53
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I was on the train at 3:30, got on at 23rd street, then we sat in the 14th st station for about 30 minutes (I couldnt figure out why they wouldnt just open the doors!) and then the train was stuck between the 14th st and 9th st stations for who knows how long. The worst part was that there were no announcements about what was going on, and the train was so crowded that you could barely breathe. We got off at 9th, because we were scared we would get stuck again. Then we were sitting in traffic trying to get into the Lincoln for over an hour. I couldnt take it anymore (I had been drinking and, well, nature calls) so I got in a different cab that took me to the 1 train down to WTC (the cab driver said he couldnt take me past Canal St because of traffic trying to get into the Holland) - and those trains were running fine but while the train was waiting at the station a girl in my car kept sticking her head out the door to vomit. Gross... so I moved cars and told a port authority employee that someone was sick in the car behind us and he did not seem to care at all. I finally got home at 5:30 a.m. and will never go into the city on Halloween again!

Thanks for the email address, I am definitely writing in a complaint. Either run more trains or at least let us know what is going on if there is an issue.

Posted on: 2008/11/3 1:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/20 23:56
From Bergen/Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Taxi service would have been a problem also. There was a two hour wait to get into the Holland Tunnel and an hour long trek through it early Saturday a.m. beginning around 1:30. We were told it was due to construction and police action. We bailed and made our way to the GW. In the end, we got home at 5:3O a.m. A very frustrating 4 hour ordeal.

Posted on: 2008/11/2 21:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/29 11:21
From Jersey City, Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Fishmonger, you got some issues man. I am not here for any particular agenga. I'm a resident of JC and since I use the Path a A LOT, and I have some serious gripes with it, thats what I tend to write about.

What I really get annoyed at is when poeple complain complain complain on these forum websites and they expect someone to listen and fix it. That is NOT going to happen. If poeple want somehting fixed, they need to comaplain tot he approrpriate place. That is why I try to steer people to the right place to submit a complaint.

Now regarding Fixmypath, I do realize it is BS site, but I posted about it because I thought at the time it was a good way for people to be able to submit feedback. That said, I also always include the Path customer service email for people to write complaints directly to the PA.

So I'm so sorry I ONLY post about Path issues here. The Path is a major part JC and one of it's biggest problems. If you want to post about other subjects then go right ahead. Last time I heard this was a still a Democracy, at least for the next 2 days.

Quote:

fishmonger wrote:
Quote:

grovester wrote:
Wow, it sounds like what you all need is more entrances to the Newport PATH station.

Hey Grovester,

I thought the exact same thing. Funny how the only posts robocub seems to ever care about are ones pertaining to complaints about the path train. Then he hypocritically says "I hate seeing people complain about the path train! DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT ALREADY! BLAH BLAH BLAH.." When is the webmaster going to figure out that this guy is only on here because he has an agenda to fill! This is SPAM. Anyone who participates for the fixmypath.org "petition" is being suckered. Someone has an agenda to create a second entrance at the Newport/Pavonia path station, and they're willing to mislead you on this website and use your name and information for their personal gain. This is NOT about fixing the path! This is about exploiting people!

Posted on: 2008/11/2 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/12 19:35
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

muffintops wrote:

I heard from the attendant at the 9th street station that instead of running 2 trains at night ... somehow - she didn't know - they were only running one. That's why many of us where told to take the uptown path train and were forced to make a loop up and then down into JC(through Hoboken..thanks).

The PATH service Halloween night was absolutely terrifying. I would've avoided going into the city altogether, but I honestly had no idea that it would be as scary as it was.

First, going into the city, we couldn't get out of the 14th St. station and were trapped between the barricade and the building. There were no police anywhere to try to keep people moving. We couldn't have turned back if we tried, we were just stuck on the sidewalk in swarms of people for 30 minutes, crushed and fighting for air.

We tried to leave the city around 3am. The 14th St. station was so overcrowded that we couldn't get onto the platform. We walked to 9th and eventually had to get home by taking the uptown train and looping back around, getting back to JC around 5:30. Never. Again.

Posted on: 2008/11/2 18:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/25 11:02
Group:
Registered Users
I waited until 11 to get the PATH home from 23rd St, as it was almost impossible to get to the station due to the crowds around 6th Ave for the parade. At that time the train was already way overcrowded.

I am so fed up with this crap, and shocked that there is never any media coverage about the PATH disruptions. When MTA subways have passengers trapped for an hour all the local news channels have camera crews at the scene interviewing the people when they are finally freed.

Again there are posts here criticizing the fixmypath.org, and I agree that new entrances at Pavonia are not at the top of my list of things PATH needs to fix, but there is nothing else out there now, and if Fulop wants to build his political career on getting better PATH service then he has my vote. BUT he needs to start NOW with a press conference on Monday morning about what happened this weekend and how it cannot continue.

To all the people who were on the train early Saturday morning, I say you should sue the PA. They knew there would be huge crowds for this parade, and yet they willfully did nothing to alleviate overcrowding by adding service. I am not surprised, but it is still horrifying to see bureaucrats endanger peoples lives for the sake of profit and convenience.

Posted on: 2008/11/2 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vertigo wrote:
I tried to get onto this death-train last night..

Resized Image

Sorry, I lost it -- with your avatar and talking about a "Death-Train"...

Posted on: 2008/11/2 4:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/27 1:27
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
This is the most horrible thing ever. Thank god there was nobody with severe claustrophobia on the train-- I can imagine someone like that freaking out and trying to jump onto the tracks.

Transit that night was a #OOPS#ing joke no matter what you were taking. I was "lucky" in that I was going to Weehawken that night and not JC. They were only running buses on a normal Friday night schedule, which meant once an hour about 50 people would get to go home and the rest would get to stand around until the next bus came an hour later. Took me four hours to get home, but that's way better than fainting on an overheated train or getting caught in the middle of a fight.

Why is the Port Authority so fscking retarded? Not only is it Friday night, it's Halloween. Increase your god damned capacity to rush hour or, at the very least, mid day frequency. You can't act like it's any other night. People are drunk and out in high numbers, there is a lot of potential for things to go tits up.

Oh, and the MTA wasn't any better. Got into a packed to the gills crowded N station around 11:30-- guess those geniuses didn't realize they needed to run more trains, either.

Posted on: 2008/11/2 2:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/7 17:24
Group:
Banned
Quote:

grovester wrote:

Hey Grovester,

Posted on: 2008/11/2 2:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vertigo wrote:
I tried to get onto this death-train last night around 3:30. When it pulled into 14th it was already packed to the gills, but for some reason the jackasses in front of me (probably from Hoboken) decided to take running starts and push their way in, giggling like a bunch of drunk asses the whole time. It was really inconsiderate, even for a bunch of Jersey guys.

My gf and I eventually just decided to go up to the street and ate a diner till about 5AM until we thought the PATH would clear up. It was still bush at that time, but at least we got on.

I know that they run trains infrequently at night, but would don't they add more trains on nights like this? They already know what's coming.

More trains should've been put in service, I mean Hello, it was Halloween. This was outrageous and absolutely inexcusable...

Posted on: 2008/11/1 23:25
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/12 1:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
When I left NY at 1:00 am at Christopher, the crowd was not so bad. There was no fee for the ride and the police just let people through, pointing them to then front of the car and filled the cars front to back. I think the majority of the traffic is on Christopher, so they need to devote entire trains to moving this traffic along. Maybe alternate some way. The PortAuthority should have a better plan in effect for these types of crowds.

Posted on: 2008/11/1 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/11/1 21:10
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/28 8:43
Group:
Banned
After dealing with the latenight JSQ-Hob-33rd after 9/11 I avoid it like the plague. The thought of them deliberately closing WTC on any weekend next year is a nightmare.

Posted on: 2008/11/1 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devbeep wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Yeah well, if only someone had died, then maybe the Port Authority would finally get the management shake up it needs.

Yeah, one could hope, right?

WTF is wrong with you?

It sounds horrible, but unless the Governor is going to hold the Port Authority accountable, it will require a tragedy before anything is done. Consider what happened with DYFS; it was neglected and falling apart until a few kids died and made national headlines. Only then did it start getting the attention of the state. Its unfortunate that we have accepted a government that is merely reactionary, but that is the only sort of thing that gets results.

Posted on: 2008/11/1 20:44

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/13 7:42
Group:
Registered Users
I tried to get onto this death-train last night around 3:30. When it pulled into 14th it was already packed to the gills, but for some reason the jackasses in front of me (probably from Hoboken) decided to take running starts and push their way in, giggling like a bunch of drunk asses the whole time. It was really inconsiderate, even for a bunch of Jersey guys.

My gf and I eventually just decided to go up to the street and ate a diner till about 5AM until we thought the PATH would clear up. It was still bush at that time, but at least we got on.

I know that they run trains infrequently at night, but would don't they add more trains on nights like this? They already know what's coming.

Posted on: 2008/11/1 19:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/21 2:29
Group:
Registered Users
Lately cause of work, I have the privilege of enjoying a PATH ride from around 2 to 4am sometimes from 9th street to JC. There is an annoying but tolerable pattern to using the path train at night (even on the weekends). The trains usually show up on time because they work on a schedule. The real pain in the tuckus is the drunks friday/sat night who most of the time all get off at Hoboken. When I'm not in the mood for them - I take a cab to the WTC (which is a pretty silly answer since I work around st.marks... but its a works).

Last night, I tried to get a cab to the WTC.... near damn impossible around where I was at. Traffic was pretty bad downtown. I took my chances with the 9th street and it sucked. Sucked bad.

I heard from the attendant at the 9th street station that instead of running 2 trains at night ... somehow - she didn't know - they were only running one. That's why many of us where told to take the uptown path train and were forced to make a loop up and then down into JC(through Hoboken..thanks).

Beyond that retardness, really someone at the PATH should've thought ahead and ran more trains last night because it was a holiday. Halloween happens every year... its the same shiat. I declare that person who makes those decisions a total idiot based on last night. It was very dangerous and they really risked alot of peoples lives.

Posted on: 2008/11/1 19:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/5 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Yeah well, if only someone had died, then maybe the Port Authority would finally get the management shake up it needs.

Yeah, one could hope, right?

WTF is wrong with you?

Posted on: 2008/11/1 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
I agree this did sound like a terrible and an inexcusably negligent ordeal.

But why would anyone have stayed on the train or even boarded at Christopher St? The safest alternative would have been to hop in a cab. While it's a little expensive, probably about $60, it sounds like it would have been worth it for this occurrence.

Posted on: 2008/11/1 19:16

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/24 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
My wife and I waited over an hour for a train from Christopher St. last night and unfortunately the train that came was the 3:30 am train you speak of. People were were fighting, screaming, and shoving the entire ride. I have never seen it as bad as that in my life. People were forced to ride in between the cars and hold on to what they could in order to not get crushed to death. I would not have been surprised if anyone was seriously hurt after that ride.

Posted on: 2008/11/1 18:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
I have been a victim of such horrendous train service but on an uptown A train a few years ago. I feel for everyone on that train because it is really a terrible experience. Not only the mix of no air, and people packed like sardines, but no explanation as for why this is happening.

Posted on: 2008/11/1 18:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/15 11:24
Group:
Registered Users
I saw the path alert in my inbox this morning regarding the 3:30 am situation. It sounds like either another train in front of yours was preventing your train from moving or the overcrowding of your train caused the delay prompting the path alert.

Luckily I escaped on the NJ bound 33rd train that departed at 10:52 (I went through the gates just as the blinking departing light turned steady and had to shove the already closing door open to jump on)

Posted on: 2008/11/1 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Ugh, yikes. You've made me very glad I didn't do anything for Halloween this year! I'm surprised there were no announcements, though -- of all the elements in that situation it's the one they're usually a bit better about. But expanded service for a holiday? HA.

Posted on: 2008/11/1 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Evening in bound trains were as crowded as the morning rush. Did they bother adding trains for accommodate the parade?

Posted on: 2008/11/1 17:44

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017