Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
76 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Car Broken into on Morris St.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/10 12:56
Group:
Registered Users
My father-in-law's car was broken into this past Friday night near the corner of Morris and Warren. Smashed the passenger side window and snatched the GPS unit, which he had carelessly neglected to stash. We discovered the break-in at 5am Saturday morning, as we were preparing to leave for a funeral in Massachusetts. A bad start to a bad day.

All in all, though, Paulus Hook is a great neighborhood, and certainly beats our former location in Harlem in most respects (except for crime, as we never suffered any sort of theft in living in Harlem for 5 years). It's so peaceful that it's easy to forget it's part of a city of 240,000 next to a megacity of 8 million. No doubt the petty thieves use that false sense of security to their advantage.

Posted on: 2008/11/20 3:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
You also may want to get a quote before filing a claim. When they punctured my door lock it cost about 100.00 to replace the lock and fix the damage. Since this was below my deductible, I didn't file for a claim. If you request to have the new lock keyed to match the other locks and the ignition it's more expensive..I went with the inexpensive option and had a separate key for my door.

Posted on: 2008/10/25 15:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/7 17:24
Group:
Banned
Hey Mary,

No offense, but unless you're an addict yourself or have a close friend or relative that's a drug addict, I wouldn't talk about legalizing drugs. It's an backwards idea. You think our country's spending a lot of money locking people up for small drug offenses right? Imagine what's going to happen when heroin is legalized and everyone becomes a dope head. I don't think our economy can benefit too much from having 24 hour state run clinics and our tax payer dollars being wasted on shooting up your friendly neighborhood dope head with Narcan everytime they overindulge in their little habit. And how the hell does making drugs legal put a screeching halt to overdoses and the spread of disease? If you knew anything about what you were talking about, heroin addicts don't care about ANYTHING but getting high. You think they care about sharing needles? And am I to understand that because we would have government regulated "pure" heroin, that would somehow miraculously stop addicts from overcompensating their next hit when they bang that crap up their arm? Stop deluding yourself.

Posted on: 2008/10/25 3:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
This really pisses me off! We should be able to drive what the hell we want wherever the hell we want to without worrying about this. Since the Bureau of Justice reports that the majority of car thefts (and most other crimes) are committed to get money for drugs we need to legalize drugs and get the addicts in a clinic. This would also greatly decrease the spread of diseases, overdoses and child neglect.

Posted on: 2008/10/24 17:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/19 19:54
Group:
Registered Users
welcome to the hood. between myself and my whole family of 5, we have gotten our cars broken into/stolen about a total of 5 times. statistically, if you live in north jersey, this should happen to you about at least once... that sounds about right.

Posted on: 2008/10/24 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, when the JCPD tells you they'll call you back to file the full police report, that really means that YOU have to call them back. Atrocious.

Posted on: 2008/10/24 17:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/16 19:10
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCase wrote:
Quote:
TheHookJC wrote:
Enjoy the change @$$ holes.

What happened? Did Obama win?

Sorry about the break-in.

Lol...clever

-thanks

Posted on: 2008/10/24 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
TheHookJC wrote:
Enjoy the change @$$ holes.

What happened? Did Obama win?

Sorry about the break-in.

Posted on: 2008/10/24 17:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Haha, that's classic. You have to pay for the police report.

Posted on: 2008/10/24 14:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I used to live on Essex St. along that same stretch near Van Vorst, that area is extraordinarily quiet at night - a blessing for getting a good night's sleep and a curse because car thieves exploit the cover. As you can guess, I also had my car broken into there, years ago. You'll absolutely need a police report in order to file an insurance claim. The good news is you can phone it in to JCPD, they won't come on-site to inspect the damage or verify your report, and you can pick it up a few days later for a small fee ($5, I believe. the office is somewhere on Newark Ave. if I remember correctly, close to the Grove PATH station).

Posted on: 2008/10/24 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Ever since moving to JC I lowered the deductible on the Comprehensive portion of my auto insurance to $100 so that it would be very affordable if my car was damaged in situations such as this. I have been lucky so far with no incidents.

Posted on: 2008/10/24 13:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
I'd like to know the condition of the stolen vehicles, another words how inviting was the car to steal. Did the steering wheel have the club on it, was the vehicle completely empty as it was when it left the showroom ?? Having a not so popular or fancy vehicle will be lees of an appeal for car thieves.

I don't leave anything in my car. They stole my ash tray with about $1.75 worth of change. It's a new car. But I don't think they were trying to steal it. I think they were trying to get whatever they could out of it. Enjoy the change @$$ holes.

Posted on: 2008/10/24 13:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheHookJC wrote:
My car was broken into on Morris St. right by Van Vorst Tuesday night. Just a heads up, I have seen a lot of glass on the street there lately. I think its an easy target since there is just a construction site and a commercial building. I would strongly suggest not parking there at night.

Anyway, they did some serious damage to my driver side door when they bashed the lock in. Has anyone reported this to their insurance and seen their rates go up? Also, it has been three days and I have not gotten a call back from the police to file a report. Will the insurance company require a police report in order to file my claim?

Thanks for your help.

Yes...you must file a pd report and most insurance companies require you to report claims within 24 hours of accidents or discovery of damage. Your insurance rates will not go up because of vandalism.

pchops posted some contact info. give them a call...

Posted on: 2008/10/24 12:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to know the condition of the stolen vehicles, another words how inviting was the car to steal. Did the steering wheel have the club on it, was the vehicle completely empty as it was when it left the showroom ?? Having a not so popular or fancy vehicle will be lees of an appeal for car thieves.

Posted on: 2008/10/24 11:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry about your car. Please call the East District again about filing a police report. At times, there are delays but you should be diligent in following up. Their phone number is 201,547.5470. Also, the captain's meeting is this Tuesday, 10/28, at 6:30pm at PS #4. If there have been a series, you may be able to hear about recent arrests. Normally we will be hearing updates from September but they may have some news on arrests.

If you would like more info, you can email me at downtownjcwatch@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2008/10/24 4:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
That sucks dude.

Yeah, the three times my car got broken into, I had to show a police report. Some insurance companies might be different, though.

Posted on: 2008/10/24 3:21

Car Broken into on Morris St.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
My car was broken into on Morris St. right by Van Vorst Tuesday night. Just a heads up, I have seen a lot of glass on the street there lately. I think its an easy target since there is just a construction site and a commercial building. I would strongly suggest not parking there at night.

Anyway, they did some serious damage to my driver side door when they bashed the lock in. Has anyone reported this to their insurance and seen their rates go up? Also, it has been three days and I have not gotten a call back from the police to file a report. Will the insurance company require a police report in order to file my claim?

Thanks for your help.

Posted on: 2008/10/24 3:04

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017