Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: incident at Dunkin Donuts
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/27 1:27
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I am extremely turned on by all these seasoned JC residents who wouldn't be even a tiny bit startled by someone peering into their passenger side window. They reek of the old-time bravery of Sir Lancelot, or Marlon Brando before he got all weird and fat. I really want to touch them in their swimsuit areas.

Posted on: 2008/11/2 17:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/28 8:43
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Amy wrote:
I rest my 'incident'.

Posted on: 2008/11/2 9:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:

I had been waiting for a while when a man walked up to my passenger window and peered in. I panicked and saw that the door was unlocked. I could think of nothing else than, "He's going to get into the car. And if not, he's going to pull a gun and shoot me." In this fog of panic, I tried to reach the lock on the door but couldn't because my seatbelt was on. I made a "go away" motion with my hand, and he walked away, to the car in front of me.

Talk about paranoid, lay off the coffee.

Posted on: 2008/11/2 7:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I rest my case.

Posted on: 2008/10/29 13:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
It's cool Amy. Your 'incident' managed to spawn this gem of a realization "anyone can be a panhandler in these uncertain times". I'll be sure to update my panhandler stereotype to include all 30+year old white people.

I don't want to get started on your meltdown messageboard rant. You're about 15 years late on that one, n00b.

Posted on: 2008/10/29 4:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Lizq wrote:
Quote:

Amy wrote:
People's behavior on message boards never cease to amaze me, because it's like talking to a bunch of 6th graders. When will you learn to engage in a discussion without resorting to belittling and name-calling-- that's what I'd like to know. It says a lot more about you than it says about me-- hiding behind a message board and looking for targets. There are a lot of things I could call a lot of people, just based on their behavior in this thread, but I refuse to do it, for reasons that should be obvious to anyone over the age of 12. Unfortunately, trying to stay above the fray gets you pinned as stupid or naive, and that says a lot about the level of discourse here. It doesn't bode well for the future, though, does it. Take care of yourself.

Amen!

Amen x 10000.

It's easy to be a toughie on the internet.

Posted on: 2008/10/28 23:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/28 21:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:
People's behavior on message boards never cease to amaze me, because it's like talking to a bunch of 6th graders. When will you learn to engage in a discussion without resorting to belittling and name-calling-- that's what I'd like to know. It says a lot more about you than it says about me-- hiding behind a message board and looking for targets. There are a lot of things I could call a lot of people, just based on their behavior in this thread, but I refuse to do it, for reasons that should be obvious to anyone over the age of 12. Unfortunately, trying to stay above the fray gets you pinned as stupid or naive, and that says a lot about the level of discourse here. It doesn't bode well for the future, though, does it. Take care of yourself.

Amen!

Posted on: 2008/10/28 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
An incident, by definition, is not necessarily a big deal. It's just something that happened. Honestly, the word I chose to use in the subject of this thread gave so many people so much mileage, it's amazing.

If you think I was expressing what I expressed out of a sense of self importance, then you completely misinterpreted my original post.

Posted on: 2008/10/28 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:
How can you not know what "incident" means? Come on, look it up.

Willy didn't ask "What does 'incident' mean?", you pillock, he asked what the so-called 'incident' was. As in, "What is the big deal?" I will rephrase: You waved a homeless guy off and he left, so what's the big deal? The answer: there is no big deal, just an unwarranted sense of self-importance.

Posted on: 2008/10/28 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
How can you not know what "incident" means? Come on, look it up.

Posted on: 2008/10/28 16:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/7 17:24
Group:
Banned
I used to live up in Rochester, NY. I liked Popeye's chicken so much that I had to drive to the worst part of the inner-city to get it. This "incident" used to happen to me every time I went there! I made the mistake of having my window down once in the summer, and the guy actually stuck half his body into the driver side window to ask me if I had any change (as he's eyeing all the loose change in my ashtray). Needless to say, I gave him whatever change I had in the ashtray just to get him the hell out of my car. As if a twenty piece of chicken wasn't already overpriced!

Posted on: 2008/10/28 13:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
You got spooked and waved off a homeless guy, and he left you alone. What's the incident?

Posted on: 2008/10/28 0:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/28 21:34
Group:
Registered Users
I can see both sides. One the one hand your looking out for your best interests. You don't know this guy from a hole in the wall and he goes peering into your car. I'd get nervous too. I work inthe Port Authority Bus Terminal, and there are a lot of homeless there. Except they're not all there in the head. One man tried to hit me in the head! So I don't blame you for looking out for yourself, there's lot of crazies out there. One the other hand your right, he might've just been looking for some money. But there is no way you could've known that. I honestly give money only to those I see regularly (440, tunnele). I f I'm not familiar with you, then I'm sory, you can go ask someone else.

Sounds kinds mean, but you never know.

Posted on: 2008/10/27 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Here's to the pickpockets on La Rambla!

And all the obnoxious American foreign exchange students from parts of suburban America you so badmouthed on another thread. You'll know them by the trail of their college sweatshirts, pajama pants and pillows.

Adios, sweetie!

Posted on: 2008/10/24 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Barcelona deserves better

Posted on: 2008/10/24 1:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Victoria wrote:
lame. . . .since when has panhandling become a crime??? this is like the pimp postings under "crime and safety". believe me, if you were going to get jacked, no car lock is going to stop anyone . . . get just a little smart "will ya"!

Wow, you have some issues huh? Well I hope this trip to "Barcelona" helps mellow you out a bit.

Posted on: 2008/10/23 22:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
This is really sad. I don't think there's anything naive about a woman who is alone in her car being startled by a man who suddenly appears at her window. I'd guess the bobo in paradise who criticized Amy as naive wouldn't have bothered if the interloper were a hungover Hoboken fratjock who strayed from his stomping grounds the night before and needed change for the light rail - that wouldn't have given her an opportunity to demonstrate her superior moral sensibilities.

And what's with the casual Barcelona name-drop? Ahh wait, I get it: vanity couldn't let you resist adding a little international flair to give the elitism some context (hint: the developers of Grove Pointe tried that too, with the extra "e," and it only made them look like suburban people who have yet to apply for their first passport).

Posted on: 2008/10/23 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Ahhhh for once I agree with Alb....
see and I thought you were crazy, there is some commn sense in there somewhere.

That was a half-azzed compliment

Posted on: 2008/10/23 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

victoria wrote:
it's funny to me that no one has responded to my posting about the hate crime. I'm NOT kidding, someone wrote "jew" in big, red, drippy letters all over my neighbors brownstone!

First, for what it's worth, I'm Jewish. I would rather not see anti-Semitic graffiti all over town.

Second, I'm not a huge stickler for keeping threads on topic, but you should really put the item about the anti-Semitic graffiti in a separate thread. Maybe some people didn't respond to you because your response was simply off-topic.

Third, you were really tough on Amy. Different people here are reading her original comment in different ways, but maybe some people are more inclined to help someone who is at least trying to write in a thoughtful, nonconfrontational way than to help someone who seems to intentionally be on the attack.

Fourth, even though the incident you wrote about is an actual crime and not just an ambiguous encounter, Amy was personally involved in the incident she described. You were just a witness to something that had already happened. So, her account has more of an emotional zing to it than hers does.

Posted on: 2008/10/23 17:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:
Thank you, CK. Of course people know these things happen in a city, and not only Jersey City. I grew up in a suburb in central NJ and we had homeless people there too. I lived in Portland, Maine, at one point and there were more homeless people there than I've seen here. People in Portland used to walk up to me when I was walking my dog and ask me if I wanted a drink out of their bottle, for God's sake.

I used to live in Portland, too! My parents are still up there, though they live in Windham now. Man, you couldn't get within a block of the library without seeing at least 5 homeless people. They seem to sleep in the little courtyard nearby. I really feel for those people-- it gets bitter, bitter cold very quickly up there and a lot of them are just struggling to stay alive through the winter.

Posted on: 2008/10/23 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you, CK. Of course people know these things happen in a city, and not only Jersey City. I grew up in a suburb in central NJ and we had homeless people there too. I lived in Portland, Maine, at one point and there were more homeless people there than I've seen here. People in Portland used to walk up to me when I was walking my dog and ask me if I wanted a drink out of their bottle, for God's sake. I got used to those experiences, but I never became complacent about the fact that there were so many people who had fallen through the cracks.

No matter what you've experienced in the past, may you never NOT get an adrenaline rush when someone is approaching your car without speaking to you and explaining themselves. Adrenaline and fear and there to protect you, misplaced or not. And may you never become so complacent as to forget about an encounter with a homeless person, because that means you've forgotten that he's a person. Junkie or not, he's a human being and deserves consideration. Ultimately, that was the reason why I posted, misconstrued as it became. Just because you want to discuss something doesn't mean you don't know anything about it.

And Victoria, I think it's horrible what happened with the hate-filled graffiti. You should post that in the crime forum and you should call the police. That's potentially much more dangerous than my encounter at the DD.

Posted on: 2008/10/23 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
Quote:

aloria wrote:
Quote:

Amy wrote:
You know what? It seems like whenever someone posts about a personal experience like this one, it ends with them getting attacked for being racist, or sheltered, or what have you.

Exactly. Forgive my rant, but it's attitudes like victoria's that make this board such a joke sometimes. Heaven forbid you want to improve the quality of life in your neighborhood-- complaining about ANYTHING, from dogs barking throughout the night, to brawls breaking outside bars, to panhandlers, is likely to be met with a "you live in a urban area now, deal with it." As if anyone who dares to complain is some country bumpkin fresh off the turnip wagon.

You know what? I grew up in a shitty part of Long Island where gang wars are abundant and dead or dying drug dealers were found in the alley by my house on more than one occasion. I lived in NYC for four years and JC for nearly two. If someone came up to my car and started peering into a window, I'd be freaked the #OOPS# out, too.

Victoria's reply is called complaicent and thats when people tend to get into Trouble.

Hey,someone peering into my car window while I'm stopped
I'm going into automatic sensory and ready for trouble, regardless of what the outcome is.

Bottomline,this is Jersey city and even if it were not,you need to keep your eyes and ears open and ready for anything.

I had a family member who was carjacked many years ago while she was pulling into her driveway here in JC and before she had anytime to react had a semi-automatic pressed to her temple.

Luckly the scumbags allowed for her to take her child out of the carseat before they took off with the wheels.

Therefore, theres no such thing as over reacting !

CK

Posted on: 2008/10/23 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
I can't believe how far this thread has come..... DOESNT ANYONE CARE ABOUT SOMEONE HAVING JEW SPRAY PAINTED ON THEIR HOUSE????? What do you want us to do? It happens. Just like Pan-Handling. Be aware of your surroundings at all times, carry mace (love that stuff), take self defense classes if it's that serious. Dont whine and complain about it you live in a CITY. It doesn't matter how much homeless prevention, patrols we have you will see it get used to it. I give money, I can't decide who decides to use it for drugs or food, my friend when asked for money always offers to buy food, 9 times out of 10 they say no....

Amy - I understand your feelings I am not attacking you at all, some people did not see this type of stuff before moving to JC so it can be a little scary to them. But more often then not when you go to a drive through in JC be prepared.... even at the ATM drive thru

Posted on: 2008/10/23 14:36

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:
You know what? It seems like whenever someone posts about a personal experience like this one, it ends with them getting attacked for being racist, or sheltered, or what have you.

Exactly. Forgive my rant, but it's attitudes like victoria's that make this board such a joke sometimes. Heaven forbid you want to improve the quality of life in your neighborhood-- complaining about ANYTHING, from dogs barking throughout the night, to brawls breaking outside bars, to panhandlers, is likely to be met with a "you live in a urban area now, deal with it." As if anyone who dares to complain is some country bumpkin fresh off the turnip wagon.

You know what? I grew up in a shitty part of Long Island where gang wars are abundant and dead or dying drug dealers were found in the alley by my house on more than one occasion. I lived in NYC for four years and JC for nearly two. If someone came up to my car and started peering into a window, I'd be freaked the #OOPS# out, too.

Posted on: 2008/10/23 14:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/13 17:44
From Hamilton Park(ish)
Group:
Banned
Wow...seriously...what is wrong with you Victoria?

Posted on: 2008/10/23 13:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/31 1:11
Group:
Registered Users
buddy of mine has an uncle who caught a guy trying to steal his car. so he took one of those same little bars and hit him. Guy died on the spot, becareful ! lol ( but seriously, dont kill anyone!)

Posted on: 2008/10/23 7:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Victoria, when you get to Barcelona, could you please tell them you're from someplace other than Jersey City?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2008/10/23 7:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brian_em wrote:
It's hard, the guy could have just been asking for change and completely harmless. But, it's better to be safe than sorry.

It's Jersey City. Put one of these

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pro ... dex.jsp?productId=1086583

in the pocket behind your passenger seat. So if sh&t ever hits the fan, you can quickly grab it with your right hand.

Hope you never have to use it, but it will make you a little less nervous when strangers approach your car.

i got one of those little bats when i went to louisville as a kid...i think i tried to hit my brother with it a few times. i don't think it was a good enough weapon because he always seemed to get the best of me. :P

Posted on: 2008/10/23 5:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
It's hard, the guy could have just been asking for change and completely harmless. But, it's better to be safe than sorry.

It's Jersey City. Put one of these

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pro ... dex.jsp?productId=1086583

in the pocket behind your passenger seat. So if sh&t ever hits the fan, you can quickly grab it with your right hand.

Hope you never have to use it, but it will make you a little less nervous when strangers approach your car.

Posted on: 2008/10/23 5:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 0:34
Group:
Registered Users
it's funny to me that no one has responded to my posting about the hate crime. I'm NOT kidding, someone wrote "jew" in big, red, drippy letters all over my neighbors brownstone! I know someone must have seen this as it was around 4:30pm, between Jersey and Varick. As I said before, they quickly took it down and painted over it. I felt so bad for the poor mom who lives there having to wash that out and paint over her house. What an atrocious act.
I'm just super pissed that I didn't catch these little louses or WHOEVER myself because I assure you they would have received a total ass whoopin from me in front of everyone had I seen them. I didn't see it this morning so it had to have been done in the afternoon!!!
I agree, I do need to get the hell out of here.

Posted on: 2008/10/23 5:18

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017