Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Jersey City's police chief: (Bergen Lafayette) is not a 'war zone'
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

NewHeights wrote:
I seriously think we should just pull out all police presence in these high crime areas and let these animals police themselves.

Some people watch too many movies.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Once again, people like NewHeights wax knowledgeable and suggest novel drastic approaches to problems and issues about which they know either nothing or very little. I'd be tempted to get angry with NewHeight's epithets and "solution," because I too live in this area, pay taxes, along with the majority of my neighbors on my block, but then I realize it's not worth it. And he/she doesn't deserve any further thought or energy from me because he/she is a know-nothing sputterer.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 20:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/22 22:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NewHeights wrote:
Red Deutsche

Again, you don't get it. These people dont pay property taxes in the areas i'm referring to. They are on the gov't cheese.

By the way your name fits you well.

Yeah, but I DO pay property taxes, and I'm stuck here living with this mess!

To say pull out all police presence and let these animals police themselves, you're lumping me into the whole thing. I'll be the one ducking bullets.

I gurantee you, I'm not the bad guy. I'm literally stuck in the wrong place. Believe it or not, you're forsaking lots of good people with that statement. Are there lots of criminals? Yeah. But we're not all criminals. And the ones who aren't are being held hostage in this mess.

Send in the police, Army, Navy, Stealth Bombers, what ever you want, but don't take the few police we do have. That's ridiculous.

Plus, without having us uptown morons paying exorbitant taxes for horrendous conditions, who would you have to shoulder the burden for all the millionair downtowners and the tax breaks they so desperately need? Afterall, that money has to come from somewhere, doesn't it? Face it. You need us.

Actually, if I could, I'd go back and edit out the last line of my previous post, but it looks like my time to edit is past, or whatever. Anyway, it was uncalled for. Sorry about that. I was a little hot after reading your post. I'd take it back if I could.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
Red Deutsche

Again, you don't get it. These people dont pay property taxes in the areas i'm referring to. They are on the gov't cheese.

By the way your name fits you well.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 20:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NewHeights wrote:
I seriously think we should just pull out all police presence in these high crime areas and let these animals police themselves.

I hope that some day your neighborhood begins to deteriorate right under your feet and before your very eyes, through no fault of your own, as you're paying property taxes out the ying yang for city services you don't receive, while simultaneously seeing a substantial real estate market crash, so that you're in effect trapped where you are, and someone says the same exact thing to you.

Jerkoff.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 20:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/13 17:44
From Hamilton Park(ish)
Group:
Banned
Quote:

NewHeights wrote:

Doesn't work...
you don't think those people will infiltrate your neighborhood?

Posted on: 2008/10/16 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/10/16 18:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Cooperation between residents and the police is necessary to address crime, no matter how each feels about the other.

Agreed.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
From a news article in another post today, perfect example of how the community is failing itself:

"Police officers on patrol near the Fulton Avenue playground heard two shots at 10:39 p.m. and saw muzzle flashes coming from the park's entrance, reports said.
Advertisement

They found a 25-year-old man on the ground on the northwest corner of Fulton Avenue and King Drive, bleeding from the left side of his torso, police said.

The man was uncooperative and police were unable to learn from a crowd that had gathered direction the shooter had fled or a description, reports said."

uncooperative....

Posted on: 2008/10/16 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:
Quote:

CANKICKER wrote:
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:
Blaming the police or town for ?a lack of services? is a bit misguided in my opinion. That is unless you can prove that there are less patrols in this area, I would guess it is actually the reverse.
The blame actually lays squarely on the % of people in that area committing or contributing to the commitment of these crimes.

SHILL !

Pffft...A mature response when someone has a different point of view than you...I am the furthest thing away from JCPD buddy, or anything JC besides a resident.

I am sick and tired of people not having any personal accountability, its always someone elses fault. There is crime here...its not the people committing the crimes...doesnt have anything to do with the community....blame the police!

I agree with your post above, the parents should be accountable for starters. Look at the source of the problem, not the end of pipe solution, it is too late by then.

You and everyone else can thank your local politicians and limp wristed legislatures for for creating this enviroment.

CK

Posted on: 2008/10/16 14:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/14 15:59
From 07304
Group:
Registered Users
I live in lafayette, a couple blocks from LSP light rail stop, but it's a different world than living on ocean or mlk. And not because of a racial difference, but many socio economic ones. My neighborhood is very mixed ethnically but what is different is that many places are owner occupied, there is a good mix of old-timers and new residents, and most properties (except for ones that are vacant where owners are waiting til the market improves to unload, or the ones owned by the city or developers who just keep moving rubble from one side to the other) are taken care of, which indicates a sense of pride. Also where i live is still in the east district police dept, where the other places on that hot zone list experiencing these problems are not.
Clearly this problem is layered, but it seems to me that if every night something bad happens on a certain corner, than why isn't there a "hot spot" declared and undercovers there every night. If you arrest enough people at each of these hotspots, they will move their activities elsewhere, and i know the idea is to stop the problem all together, but let's start with where it's happening now. Also, it is sick when you hear that people gathered around the scene and the victim refuse to say anything about what happened. Cooperation between residents and the police is necessary to address crime, no matter how each feels about the other. Also, from reading a lot of the reports of these crimes, the victims and perps of the crimes often don't live where the act happened. Which is also infuriating. Because the chief is probably right about the fact that many of the people who live in these neighborhoods are hard working citizens who just want to be safe.
Whether it's a war zone or not is irrelevant, what matters is that people can't feel safe coming home from a hard day's work, or walking their kids to school. And with the amount of money the city wastes and the taxes we pay, that should not be the case.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:
Blaming the police or town for ?a lack of services? is a bit misguided in my opinion.

When people here complain about the police not being there to stop a mugging downtown, OK, that might not be all that fair.

But, in the case of Bergen-Lafayette, we're talking about open-air supermarkets that seem to be about as obvious and as well-established as the Jersey Avenue C Town.

It seems as if the freezer inspectors go after the C Town owners way more often than the police go after the open air supermarket managers.

If Jersey City were a giant, completely out of control city, maybe that would explain why the city doesn't even bother to harass the open-air drug supermarkets in a noticeable way. But Jersey City isn't really that out of control. Maybe there are, say, a few dozen substantial, persistent open-air drug supermarkets.

If the police would try to make arrests at two or three open-air drug supermarkets every evening, OK, sure, dozens of other supermarkets would still be operating, and many of the dealers would get off on technicalities. But maybe some of the dealers would spend some time in prison, and maybe some dealers would decide to go operate somewhere else.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CANKICKER wrote:
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:
Blaming the police or town for ?a lack of services? is a bit misguided in my opinion. That is unless you can prove that there are less patrols in this area, I would guess it is actually the reverse.
The blame actually lays squarely on the % of people in that area committing or contributing to the commitment of these crimes.

SHILL !

Pffft...A mature response when someone has a different point of view than you...I am the furthest thing away from JCPD buddy, or anything JC besides a resident.

I am sick and tired of people not having any personal accountability, its always someone elses fault. There is crime here...its not the people committing the crimes...doesnt have anything to do with the community....blame the police!

I agree with your post above, the parents should be accountable for starters. Look at the source of the problem, not the end of pipe solution, it is too late by then.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCNewJersey wrote:
If the problems occur after 10pm then enforcing the curfew would help assuming the persons were under age. However, these shots were fired duing the day.

The police do not enforce the curfew because they have to stay with the children until a guardian comes to get them. We know the guardians are not really guarding their children are they would not be out shooting up the neighborhood. So the guardians are likely no where to be found at 11pm or 12am or 1am and therefore the cops have to stay at the station house until they do come. Instead, they should be out in the community where they are needed.

It's a mess.

I also believe the police and municipal government are very cautious about how far they push things because of the fear of lawsuits.

Strict legislation has to be written and passed that places the Onus on the parents/gaurdians, I agree the Cops shouldn't act as Surragate parents, Parents/Guardians need to be held acountable.

Theres too many excuses being made nowadays that attempt to justify the existance of these lowlifes and it's being said so often that even some of the politicians are buying into this BS!

Think about it, before you vote.

CK

Posted on: 2008/10/16 13:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
It is a mess! Can't the police get the DYFS involved if the parents aren't staying home with their underage children?

You are right, it is a mess. They could try to get the DYFS involved, but it is quite a process. The caseworkers at the DYFS have so many cases, they have a hard time keeping up. If parents are not staying home with their children because of a variety of reasons the children are then left to fend for themselves. It's a vicious cycle being that these kids may or may not grow up to do the same thing. I agree that more police in these areas is something needed, but I feel that the families and communities need to play an even bigger role.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nikkiinnj wrote:
Quote:

JCNewJersey wrote:
If the problems occur after 10pm then enforcing the curfew would help assuming the persons were under age. However, these shots were fired duing the day.

The police do not enforce the curfew because they have to stay with the children until a guardian comes to get them. We know the guardians are not really guarding their children are they would not be out shooting up the neighborhood. So the guardians are likely no where to be found at 11pm or 12am or 1am and therefore the cops have to stay at the station house until they do come. Instead, they should be out in the community where they are needed.

It's a mess.

I also believe the police and municipal government are very cautious about how far they push things because of the fear of lawsuits.

I agree with you but that's only half true. They don't take juvenille's back to the station. There's a facility where they take them so it's not a matter of the police having to babysit and being taken away from other duties. However you are right in that there parents generally don't pick them up which is why the curfew isn't enforced.

It is a mess! Can't the police get the DYFS involved if the parents aren't staying home with their underage children?

Isn't it illegal to go out leaving kids alone?

Posted on: 2008/10/16 12:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCNewJersey wrote:

It's a mess.

I agree with you but that's only half true. They don't take juvenille's back to the station. There's a facility where they take them so it's not a matter of the police having to babysit and being taken away from other duties. However you are right in that there parents generally don't pick them up which is why the curfew isn't enforced.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 12:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/7 16:42
Group:
Registered Users

It's a mess.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:

SHILL !

Posted on: 2008/10/16 12:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/10/16 11:06
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Obviously the chief is a bumbling idiot. He's one of healy's many puppets.

Posted on: 2008/10/15 21:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
BTW - Chief, just so you know - once present, cancer usually wins in the end.

Bad analogy.

Posted on: 2008/10/15 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/10/15 20:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ask the students and teachers at the school where the shooting occurred in the parking lot (at 3:00) whether they think it's a war zone or not. They're there every day. How would you feel if you sent your child off to school and s/he didn't come home that afternoon because of being in the wrong place at the wrong time during a gang war?

Ask the upstanding residents of the area. Oh, wait... you don't have to... one is already quoted as saying that there are random gunshots all the time. Chief, does that sound like a description of "Candyland" to you? My guess is that the Chief hasn't set foot in that neighborhood for YEARS.

It's all just public relations spin. Make the city sound good (or at least not as bad as it really is). He is trying to come across as "defending" the good name of the people of the area, when in fact, all they want is to be (actually) defended against these thugs.

The cat is already out of the bag, Chief. We all know that living in Greenville isn't a picnic. You're making yourself look stupid and out of touch. Don't bother with the irrelevant lip service that everyone sees through anyway. Words are COMPLETELY useless in this situation.

JUST ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING.

PLEASE!!

What's next? Another commercial / newspaper quotation saying that there are no gangs, no wolf packs and no guns on the streets? I literally laugh out loud when I see that kind of propaganda. Exactly what city would you be referring to, anyway? I'd like to move there.

Posted on: 2008/10/15 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
that's a bit rascist don't you think? but i'll take you're advice anyway.

Posted on: 2008/10/15 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Take this anyway you please, but if you are looking to buy property, in any city, stay away from any area with a street named for M.L.King.

AMEN !

Posted on: 2008/10/15 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Take this anyway you please, but if you are looking to buy property, in any city, stay away from any area with a street named for M.L.King.

Posted on: 2008/10/15 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

NewHeights wrote:
Don't you guys get it? if the Police start to crack down on these thugs Al Sharpton will be protesting the very next day (along with Greenville Chick)

It will only get worse in that area of JC.

Way to be part of the solution.

Posted on: 2008/10/15 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Jersey City's police chief: It's not a 'war zone'

The Jersey Journal
Tuesday October 14, 2008

Resized Image
Jersey City Police Chief Tom Comey, seen in a file photo from an awards ceremony last year, takes issue in today's paper with a Jersey Journal column depicting life in one neighborhood as "a war zone.''

Jersey City Police Chief Tom Comey takes issue in today's Jersey Journal with a recent column depicting life in one neighborhood as "life in a war zone.''

"The negative connotation conjured up by the use of that term is an insult to the vast majority of hardworking, law-abiding citizens residing there,'' he writes in the op-ed responding to Earl Morgan's Oct. 3 column.

While the "war zone'' designator was the word choice of a headline writer, and not Morgan, the column depicted a neighborhood where hard-working people are afraid to be outside because of gunfire and, particularly in warmer months, "roving bands of loud and unruly youths who make things generally unpleasant for them.''

Comey prefers to call the violence plaguing the Martin Luther King Drive area a "cancer."

"We have done a lot and more still needs to be done. We can't do it alone,'' Comey concludes. "Whether the resolution comes from the home, the courts, legislation or a social agency, we remain ready to work with anyone to eradicate this cancer."

================================

Nabe desperate to end constant violence
LIFE IN A WAR ZONE

Friday, October 03, 2008

"M a, can we move?" a teenager asked her mother while they stood on the sidewalk Wednesday, watching as Jersey City police searched the street in front of their Stegman Street house for shell casings, the remnants of a late afternoon gunfight.

Two weeks ago, the same neighborhood was rocked by four separate shooting incidents in the space of 24 hours that left two men injured.

This latest incident occurred just a stone's throw from School 15, and only minutes after the school's students were dismissed at 3:10 p.m. In fact, police on the scene questioned two School 15 teachers who had been walking on Stegman Street, toward King Drive, and were forced to duck for cover when the shooting started.

According to police, someone on a bicycle pedaled up to a car on Stegman near King Drive and fired at a vehicle until it drove off. Police said no shooting victim turned up in area hospitals.

"I was on the porch with my daughter and I had my back turned to the street when the shooting started right across the street," said the mother of the girl who wondered out loud about the possibility of relocating.

"I heard the shots and turned around and saw a man firing shots. So, I pushed my daughter into the house and slammed the door."

While residents are thankful no one was killed or wounded, they're angry and frustrated about all the gunfire that's been erupting around them.

One of the gunfights two weeks ago left a bullet lodged in the wall of a daycare center at the Mary McLeod Bethune Center on King Drive. Fortunately no one was in the room at the time.

The stretch of Stegman, between King Drive and Ocean Avenue, where Wednesday's incident occurred, is made up of, with a few exceptions, well maintained one-and two-family homes.

The residents and property owners there say they deserve the right to be able to walk, stand or otherwise enjoy their homes and their block without worrying about being shot.

And it's not only gunfire that has them upset. Residents say that during the summer months the street is often invaded by roving bands of loud and unruly youths who make things generally unpleasant for them.

"We have fights and noise here all the time," said another Stegman Street resident. "We call the police, but they don't always come. Why can't we have more police patrols?"

That woman's next neighbor, who arrived home in his car only to find his way blocked by police tape, unleashed a heated verbal torrent at the police, elected officials, even The Jersey Journal.

"None of you are doing anything," the man said, his voice freighted with anger. "All kinds of things go on this block.

"Sometimes people come here and just fire off shots into the air. No one cares, no one is doing anything about it."

Ward F. Councilwoman Viola Richardson, who arrived at the Bethune Center shortly after Wednesday's shooting, said she cares very much and denounced the shooting incidents.

Richardson said in the next few weeks she will call a meeting of community and law enforcement organizations, as well as members of the clergy, to discuss ways to cope with the street violence and hostility that seems to plague youth in the predominantly African American and Latino ward she represents.

"We need a comprehensive way to deal with this situation," Richardson said. "Whatever we do it won't be just a quick fix approach. We need a plan."

As for why gunfire has been so prevalent in this area of Stegman Street and King Drive, well, police will only officially say they are investigating. But several sources say it is the result of a feud between rival gangs.

They should ask that guy who just got brutally beaten near the Lightrail if thats really the case???

Posted on: 2008/10/15 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
So because of stereotypes and assumptions Bergen Lafayette and Greenville do not deserve the same services that others receive in the city i.e. police presence and caring?
NewHeights it seems like you need to meet people from these areas because you seem to insinuate that everyone here is of one mind. Perhaps this the same frame of mind that stops others from coming to our aid and leaving us with the leftovers. There are so many proactive wonderful community people in our area that it's sad some of you don't realize this.
Not only that ,there are police officers that do care and work with us but they are in the minority.
We are not asking for the cops to come in shooting first as you insinuate is what should be done.
There is such a thing as enforcing law the right way. Al Sharpton appears in extreme cases. I truly believe that law enforcement in Jersey City is lacking. We have been stressing enforcing curfew. Persistence is key. The police are not persistent. They don't go to the same spot twice.....Look I know what I am talking about... I can afford to live in downtown I choose to live here in Bergen Lafayette. I won't accept less than others. I pay taxes too.

Posted on: 2008/10/15 17:54

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017