Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: directv in a brownstone?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Preemption of Restrictions on Placement of Direct Broadcast Satellite, Broadband Radio Service, and Television Broadcast Antennas

Q: Are there restrictions that may be placed on residents of rental property?

A: Yes. A restriction necessary to prevent damage to leased property may be reasonable. For example, tenants could be prohibited from drilling holes through exterior walls or through the roof. However, a restriction designed to prevent ordinary wear and tear (e.g., marks, scratches, and minor damage to carpets, walls and draperies) would likely not be reasonable provided the antenna is installed wholly within the antenna user's own exclusive use area. In addition, rental property is subject to the same protection and exceptions to the rule as owned property. Thus, a landlord may impose other types of restrictions that do not impair installation, maintenance or use under the rule. The landlord may also impose restrictions necessary for safety or historic preservation.

Q: If I live in a condominium, cooperative, or other type of residence where certain areas have been designated as "common," do these rules apply to me?

A: The rules apply to residents of these types of buildings, but the rules do not permit you to install an antenna on a common area, such as a walkway, hallway, community garden, exterior wall or the roof. However, you may install the antenna wholly within a balcony, deck, patio, or other area where you have exclusive use.

Drilling through an exterior wall, e.g. to run the cable from the patio into the unit, is generally not within the protection of the rule because the exterior wall is generally a common element. You may wish to check with your retailer or installer for advice on how to install the antenna without drilling a hole. Alternatively, your landlord or association may grant permission for you to drill such a hole. The Commission's rules generally do not cover installations if you drill through a common element.

also
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/consumerdish.html

Posted on: 2008/10/13 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
The dish can not be visable from the street if you are in a historic district.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 15:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/23 19:52
Group:
Registered Users
Just make sure it's not visible from the street. Also, tell the guy who comes to install it NOT to drill straight down into the roof (or else it's just a matter of time before you get leaks.) Have him use a proper raised mount.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
When I lived in a similar type building on 10th, they installed the dish/satellite on the roof and ran a wire down to my unit. They did have to drill into the brick, (make sure this is okay if you sure not the owner) The hole was drilled into the mortise(sp) and caused no damage and wasn't noticeable since it was done on the back side of the building. I had no interference since it went on the roof and received great reception. I left my dish up there for the person who moved in after me so, you may want to see if there was any prior Direct TV customers at your location/apt/building.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
I live in a brownstone and I have Directv. In fact, there are at least 10 dishes up on the roof for all the apartments on my side of the street. Anyway, when they installed it they dropped the wires down the back of the building. My apartment has a front and back exposure so it really wasn't a problem. I'm pretty sure the installer said they are not allowed to drop wires on the front of the building.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
I used to live on York St. in Paulus Hook, a historic district - it wasn't a brownstone though. I had a DirecTV dish on my front window (3rd fl) and one of the tennents gave me some junk about I wan't suppose to have it because of the historic district (meanwhile there was a telephone pole in front of the building w/ a billion wires on it and I've seen plenty of other dishes in Paulus Hook). Anyway, I remember something on the FCC website regarding satellite dishes and how you cannot be denied access to programming via a dish. Try either the DirecTV or FCC website. The condo board where you live cannot deny your access as this regulated by federal law. They may have a say on how/where the wires are run.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 14:08

directv in a brownstone?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 11:36
Group:
Registered Users
does anyone live in a brownstone and have directv? i live on the first floor of a five story historic brownstone building and i'd like to get directv installed, but i know that requires installing a dish on the roof and dropping cables down to my apartment. unfortunately my apartment is situated in the front of the building so the wires would be visible. i don't see any wires hanging anywhere else on my building so i assume no one else has directv. it's a condo building and i am an owner and as far as i know they are no rules against doing such a thing, but i'm checking with the maintenence people just to be sure.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 13:40

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017