Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New Jersey, is one of 20 states that allow ex-convicts to reregister to vote.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
I had thought that felons lost all kinds of rights and that this was a Federal matter. Perhaps it is because "ex-convicts" does not specify the nature of the crime but aggravated assault sure sounds like a felony.

I'll bet that most of those 20 states are loyally Democratic. Gotta cater to one's constituency.

Quote:

sporkster wrote:
I'm surprised that only 20 states allow this. If you commit a crime, serve the time sentenced and are released, why shouldn't you be allowed to vote? Shouldn't we as a society allow people to make mistakes and accept their punishment? Obviously a lot of criminals continue to commit crime, but I don't think we should exclude someone from their basic rights once they've completed their time.

Posted on: 2008/10/1 3:11

Re: New Jersey, is one of 20 states that allow ex-convicts to reregister to vote.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sporkster wrote:
I'm surprised that only 20 states allow this. If you commit a crime, serve the time sentenced and are released, why shouldn't you be allowed to vote? Shouldn't we as a society allow people to make mistakes and accept their punishment? Obviously a lot of criminals continue to commit crime, but I don't think we should exclude someone from their basic rights once they've completed their time.

I suppose. The real story in this article, what caught my attention anyway, is that someone convicted of aggravated assault is working at a school and is presumably around children. Lovely isn't it.

Posted on: 2008/10/1 2:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/29 21:28
From Downtown JC
Group:
Banned
That's a good thing mate, they'll be able to sniff out the criminal running for office then.

Posted on: 2008/9/30 18:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 13:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/9/30 16:44

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/11 14:40
Group:
Registered Users
When ex-offenders don't know their rights or are prevented from exercising their rights, particularly the right to vote, our entire community suffers."

I only hope I'm not around when the disenfranchised ex-offender exercises his/her right to commit crime again.

Posted on: 2008/9/30 16:28

New Jersey, is one of 20 states that allow ex-convicts to reregister to vote.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Registration for ex-cons draws about 50 in Newark

by Katie Wang/The Star-Ledger
Tuesday September 30, 2008, 5:23 AM

After serving time for an aggravated assault 10 years ago, Adrielle Felton was under the impression she could never vote again.

At the time, she did not realize New Jersey was one of 20 states nationwide that allow ex-convicts who have completed their sentences to reregister to vote. But Monday she was among dozens of ex-offenders who showed up at Newark City Hall for a voter registration drive.

''I feel good," said Felton, 30, who now works at an after-school program in Newark.

The registration drive was organized by Newark City Council President Mildred Crump, who ralled New Jersey's law restoring ex-offenders' voting rights a secret.

''Disenfranchisement can take many forms," Crump said. "When ex-offenders don't know their rights or are prevented from exercising their rights, particularly the right to vote, our entire community suffers."

Crump said restoring the right to vote helps ex-convicts blend back into society and rebuild their lives.

''Too often when we think of disenfranchised voters, we forget about the ex-offender population," she said. "Today we're encouraging ex-offenders to beat the rap once and for all and register and then go to the polls and vote on Nov. 4."

Nearly 50 people gathered in Newark to bring attention to this law and to bolster the number of registered voters in the state. The deadline to register for the Nov. 4 presidential election is Oct. 14.

Crump introduced Earl Best, a community activist most commonly known for his nickname, the "Street Doctor," as a model for ex-convicts to restore their voting rights. Best, a former bank robber, had been in and out of prison for 17 years. He's been out for eight years now.

Standing on the steps of City Hall, Best waved a blue ballpoint pen in the air and said he has been waiting to register to vote for years. He has never voted in his life.

''I am hoping I will be the first domino to fall," Best said, encouraging other ex-convicts to follow his lead.

Eric Jackson, 43, of Newark was one of those who registered to vote.

Jackson, who was locked up in March for drug charges, said he wanted his voice to be heard on this historic election. He said he plans to vote for Democratic nominee Barack Obama.

After completing his paperwork, Jackson said, he felt ecstatic. "I feel like I count again," he said.

Not everyone was allowed to register Monday.

Glenda Ranger, 53, who is still serving probation, said she thinks she should be allowed to vote again.

''I feel like I'm being cheated and dismissed," she said.

Posted on: 2008/9/30 12:33

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017