Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Hybrid ed board for Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
hopefully, council decisions like this will inspire more people to make an effort to get their friends and neighbors out to vote.

consider the absurdity of reversing referendum results that were approved by 80% of the vote less than two months ago.

Posted on: 2008/12/19 14:17

Re: Councilman Fulop seeks to put crimp in Mayor Healy's 'hybrid' school district plan
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/24 19:41
Group:
Registered Users
Did everyone forget this is one of the reasons the state took over our school system, intially. How much more nepotism do we have to bear? Stop the insanity!

Posted on: 2008/12/18 19:01

Re: Councilman Fulop seeks to put crimp in Mayor Healy's 'hybrid' school district plan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Amen to Althea's statement!
Come out and support voter's rights and contact your representatives to retain your right to choose!

Quote:

Althea wrote:
[Quote]

Send a clear message to all of your representatives, both state and municipal that you want to retain the right to chose. Back in November while there was no hybrid board to vote on, the people overwhelmingly voted to elect their own board and not have one appointed. This says enough. How a 2/3 appointed board is suddenly acceptable a mere month and a half after the 80% vote for fully elected board is lunacy to me.

Please come out and support the right to choose. This resolution does not take sides, it merely asks that the rights of the voters to choose their own school board not be ignored.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
[Quote]Healy says Fulop's "argument that the people have spoken is specious."

"The people never got the opportunity to vote on this, only on an elected or appointed board," Healy said.[/Quote]

I think the point of the resolution is that the people should get a chance to vote for or against the Hybrid Board. If the State legislation passes as is, the Council will merely vote it in on Healy's terms, not on the terms of those who will shoulder the financial burden, the tax payers.

Whether you have children in the school system or not, the fact is that if you pay property taxes, you will be paying for the school system. Currently Jersey City residents are paying 7-11% of the taxes if they do not live on tax abated property. With the new school funding formula the tax payers will pay more and more.

Send a clear message to all of your representatives, both state and municipal that you want to retain the right to chose. Back in November while there was no hybrid board to vote on, the people overwhelmingly voted to elect their own board and not have one appointed. This says enough. How a 2/3 appointed board is suddenly acceptable a mere month and a half after the 80% vote for fully elected board is lunacy to me.

Please come out and support the right to choose. This resolution does not take sides, it merely asks that the rights of the voters to choose their own school board not be ignored.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 19:32
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Doesn't seem like a smart move on the mayor's part: going against the voice of the people in an election year. I don't have kids but I'm for an elected board. It also sets up backstage dirty politics. Donate to my campaign and I'll appoint your wife on the board kind of scenarios.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Hybrid board resolution vote tonight

Wednesday, December 17, 2008
By PAUL KOEPP
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Should Jersey City's school board be appointed, elected or some combination of the two - and who should decide?

These questions will be debated at tonight's City Council meeting when Councilman Steve Fulop is set to propose a resolution that urges state officials to amend a bill by Assemblywoman Joan Quigley to make Jersey City eligible to become a "hybrid" school district.

Promoted by Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy, the hybrid board would be comprised of three members appointed by the mayor, three elected members and three members selected by the state Commissioner of Education.

According to the state measure, wending its way through the Legislature, a simple majority vote of the City Council could give Jersey City a hybrid school board.

As Fulop sees it, the public spoke loudly and forcefully on this issue last month when more than 80 percent of voters said they preferred an elected board.

"The intent and will of the Jersey City electorate is being intentionally ignored by some of the politicians who stand to directly benefit from a politically controlled school board," Fulop wrote in a letter to supporters yesterday.

Healy says Fulop's "argument that the people have spoken is specious."

"The people never got the opportunity to vote on this, only on an elected or appointed board," Healy said.

He added some appointed members would make the board accountable to the mayor and City Council. "A hybrid board of education would not only continue to give the people a voice, but it would also allow for financial oversight by the governing body," Healy said.

Three declared mayoral candidates, former Mayor Bret Schundler, former Assemblyman Louis Manzo and activist Dan Levin, said yesterday they agree with Fulop that voters should have the final say.

Levin favors a mayoral-appointed board. Manzo wants to keep an elected board.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 14:16

Councilman Fulop seeks to put crimp in Mayor Healy's 'hybrid' school district plan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Councilman Fulop seeks to put crimp in Mayor Healy's 'hybrid' school district plan

by The Jersey Journal
Tuesday December 16

Jersey City Councilman Steven Fulop is touting a bill that would require voter approval if Jersey City is to become a "hybrid" school district

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy is bent on making Jersey City a "hybrid" school district, meaning three members of the board would be appointed by the mayor, three elected by voters, and three selected by the state Department of Education commissioner.

At Healy's request, Assemblywoman Joan Quigley has sponsored legislation to make this proposal possible. According to her bill, which is wending its way through the Legislature, the City Council could simply vote to make Jersey City a so-called hybrid district.

But hold on a minute, says Downtown Jersey City Councilman Steve Fulop. In November, locals voted overwhelming -- more than 80 percent -- to keep the board an elected board rather than change it to one appointed by the mayor.

Fulop is now pushing a proposal at the City Council level to urge state legislators to amend their bill so that if the hybrid becomes a possibility, it would require voter approval.

Fulop's proposal is on tap at tomorrow night's City Council meeting, 6 p.m., at City Hall, 280 Grove St.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 2:17

Re: Elected School Board Rather Than An Appointed One
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I disagree. Unless by writing what you did below you are assuming the bulk of our Council will side with the mayor against their constituents and therefore trying to bring about a municipal level resolution is useless.

Otherwise, asking our representatives to stand by the clear actions of the voters back in November and again return the power back over to the voters to make a final decision on how they would like their board to be chosen is a clear indication of whether the Council members represent their constituents or the mayor. Separation of powers?

If the Council stands by their constituents' right to chose through the election process, this will send a very clear message to all the State elected representatives supporting this bill that Jersey City tax payers and voters are choosing how their school system is run.

I see both methods as being equally effective. For people to begin to believe in their government again and to believe their council people are listening, we need transparency. The vote on this resolution called for and supported by grassroots education advocates in this City will show us come May who really is willing to represent the people.

I will be watching how my council person votes on this measure. I want to know my right to chose a board so pivitol to my children's education is not being taken away just to please one's political party.

Quote:

DanL wrote:
hybrid school board is the worst option - lacks accountability.

voters chose an elected board - to change that decision thru legislation a mere 1 1/2 months later sounds like disenfranchisement.

re- quote below - we have abdicated "power" by for the most part not voting.

asking the council to oppose the mayor's initiative may not be as effective as contacting our state legislators.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 1:39
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
So we can go to the meeting as a show of force

AND/OR

WE contact our State Legislators
check for them here
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/legsearch.asp
(Click on the electronic correspondence link on the right of the page to send an email immediately)

asking them to support Assembly Bill 5488 sponsored by Senator Shirley K. Turner and Co-Sponsoredby Senators Vitale and Kyrillos, provides for the election of school board members at November general election and eliminates vote on school budgets except for separate proposals to spend above cap which wil also occur at general election

and to oppose Bill A3394, sponsored by Assemblywoman Joan M. Quigley, That provides the option of the establishment of Type III school district in certain municipalities.

Right Dan?

Posted on: 2008/12/17 0:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
hybrid school board is the worst option - lacks accountability.

voters chose an elected board - to change that decision thru legislation a mere 1 1/2 months later sounds like disenfranchisement.

re- quote below - we have abdicated "power" by for the most part not voting.

asking the council to oppose the mayor's initiative may not be as effective as contacting our state legislators.

Quote:

IHerRey wrote:
I just received this email and wanted to share it>>

....Why must the power always lay in the hands of politicians (some who don't have the best intensions at heart)

Posted on: 2008/12/16 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The entire resolution 08-930 can be seen here on page 11:

http://cityofjerseycity.com/uploadedF ... 0RES%202008%2012%2017.PDF

Posted on: 2008/12/16 20:16

Elected School Board Rather Than An Appointed One
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/15 17:45
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I just received this email and wanted to share it>>

Dear friends:

As you may be aware, voters in Jersey City made a historically important choice
this past November. Over eighty percent (80%) of you, the people of Jersey City,
voted to have an elected school board rather than an appointed one.

This was particularly important because just this year the City regained its
control over its school system after twenty years of State oversight.
Symbolically, this was a victory for the people of Jersey City as it meant that
we were ready to move past the political influence that once bankrupted our
city?s schools.

Now, the New Jersey State Legislature is considering a bill that could
potentially nullify this past November's vote and grant the city the ability to
unilaterally disband the elected board in favor of a ?hybrid? school board. This
?hybrid? board would consist of three members who are appointed by the mayor,
three that are elected and three that are appointed by the Commissioner of
Education.

This bill, which Mayor Healy has aggressively lobbied for, would once again put
our school system in the hands of entrenched politicians rather than public
servants that are beholden to the people of Jersey City. This bill would create
a system with more political patronage and less accountability.

Many educational leaders in our community, including Shelley Skinner, have asked
me to help bring more attention to this very important issue that will have an
effect on the lives of all Jersey City residents, regardless of whether or not
they have children enrolled in our public schools.

Therefore, I am introducing a municipal resolution requesting that the bill be
altered so that the voters of Jersey City would retain the right to ultimately
decide on the structure of the city?s school board.

I am asking you to consider showing your support to this initiative by attending
the next meeting of the City Council on Wednesday, December 17th at 6:30 PM at
City Hall. The meeting shouldn?t last longer than an hour but will be critically
important to determining the structure of our city?s school system.

The intent and will of the Jersey City electorate is being intentionally ignored
by some of the politicians who stand to directly benefit from a politically
controlled school board. Whether or not you have children in our school system,
it is important that you help oppose those politicians that value political
power over quality education in Jersey City.

Sincerely,
Steven Fulop
Councilman, Ward E

I truly feel as if my vote doesn't count. Why must the power always lay in the hands of politicians (some who don't have the best intensions at heart)

I will try my best to be at City Hall.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I remember when the school was under local (city hall) control. It became a political patronage machine. I support elections.
Yvonne

Posted on: 2008/10/16 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Healy's bid to nix school vote rebuffed

Thursday, October 16, 2008
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy confirmed yesterday he lobbied Jersey City school board members last week to block a November ballot question that asks voters if they want an elected or mayoral-appointed school board.

Healy is promoting what he calls a "hybrid" school board for the Jersey City school district, which returned to local control this year.

According to a state bill being drafted at his behest, the hybrid board would consist of three members elected by the public, three members appointed by the mayor, and three college officials picked by the state Department Commissioner of Education.

But this choice isn't on the November ballot since it technically doesn't exist as a legal option. Healy said he expects the bill to pass next year.

As part of a transition plan back to local control, voters will be given two choices next month - elected or appointed board.

"It is a meaningless exercise. We already have an elected board," Healy said, who is convinced voters will opt for an elected board. "It is untenable to have the Board of Ed making up a budget when it's the mayor and City Council that has to send out the tax bills."

Several school members said they had no intention of trying to yank the ballot question.

"As part of the transition we were instructed (by state officials) that the electorate had to decide if they wanted an elected board or an appointed board, and the (school) board did that, we unanimously did that," said board member Peter Donnelly. "I'm for the elected board."

Former mayor and current school board member Gerald McCann, who also wants to keep an elected board, quipped that Healy should trust voters since they elected him mayor.

Posted on: 2008/10/16 13:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/4 2:56
Group:
Registered Users
No way if we give the power of appointment to the Mayor we're going to have Bill Gaughan or something on the Board of Ed. PASS I'll stick with an elected school board.

Mayor Appointed School Boards don't work. IE: Bayonne, I can imagine who/what our drunktard will appoint.

However, I'm not say they never work. IE: Mayor Stack in Union City does have a good appointed board. Just saying that I don't want my kid's education in the hands of Healy's drones.

Posted on: 2008/9/26 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
agree with above sentiments, and I am leaning towards supporting an appointed board as the best way to -

- have board members with technical qualifications

- removal of some politics

- quicker able to make changes and improvements

cities that many look to as educational innovators including NYC, Boston and Chicago have appointed school boards or full authority under the city's mayor.

the board should and must be structured with classes of qualifications such has education, administration, financial along with parent and union representation.

the hybrid board idea with hard wiring in members from specific institutions will take authority and accountability away from future mayors.

to improve the appoinment process, I strongly believe that this model ordinance from Citizen's Campaign is necessary to provide quality and representitive appointments not only to a school boad but all city boards and authorities. See the ordinance on Civic JC's website - Model Open Appointments Ordinance

Posted on: 2008/9/19 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Alb wrote:

Quote:
well-informed people in charge of the district who are already trying a lot of the strategies all of us would suggest

True.

Oftentimes, having the butcher, the baker, and the candlestick maker on the board baffles me. People with proven track records in education or administration and innovative ideas need to be on that board or at least consulted.

When can we have a board whose members aren't a "who's who" of Jersey City politics for the last 30 years?

Posted on: 2008/9/19 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Newark's Mayor Corey Booker is an advocate of school vouchers as part of a reform of the education system.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
I think the key here is that before the school reformers can be taken seriously, we have to take existing reports and go in to teach school and create a list of what specifically is wrong (and right) at each school, then use the list to figure out what's right and wrong districtwide.

If all we reformers can say about the schools is, "The test scores are low, and we go in and hear people yelling at the kids," then the existing school board members and district managers are probably right to laugh at us.

I think one of our problems is that we don't recognize that there are actually bright, well-informed people in charge of the district who are already trying a lot of the strategies all of us would suggest. The big problem is that implementing those strategies well is easier said than done.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
"St. Peter's College and Jersey City State (now New Jersey City University) supplied us with the teachers in the first place," McCann said. "I'm not buying they have all the answers."

Idiot.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 13:39

Hybrid ed board for Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hybrid ed board for Jersey City?
Hudson pol plans to introduce 3-3-3 plan

Friday, September 19, 2008
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Besides weighing in on the presidential contest, Jersey City voters get to decide Nov. 4 if the local school board will remain an elected body or become a mayor-appointed board.

But whatever system voters pick as part of the transition back from state to local control, it might not last long.

Prompted by Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy, Assemblywoman Joan Quigley, D-Jersey City, said yesterday she's planning to introduce legislation to give voters a third choice: a hybrid board.

The hybrid board would have three members elected by voters, three appointed by the mayor, and three deans of colleges.

The legislation isn't drafted yet and would likely become an option for the Newark and Paterson school districts as well, Quigley said.

"This (hybrid board) would not only put professionals of higher education and their views into the local situation, but it would also allow the public to have a voice and the mayor and the City Council to have a voice," Healy stated yesterday.

"Currently, those elected to the Board of Education can implement programs and increase costs, but it is the mayor and the City Council who send out the tax bills and who are called to task for it," he added.

Two former mayors on the current school board panned the idea.

"All I can see is a political move for a quick power grab," said board member Anthony Cucci.

Gerald McCann, who favors an elected board, doesn't see college officials as holding the keys to educational wisdom in Jersey City.

"St. Peter's College and Jersey City State (now New Jersey City University) supplied us with the teachers in the first place," McCann said. "I'm not buying they have all the answers."

Posted on: 2008/9/19 12:08

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017