Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Greenville: 3 Shooting Incidents Hours Apart
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Lafayette, i respect and admire your position of positivity, but you're assuming things of me that i never said... i never said a college degree was needed for anything... i never said everyone in the projects is bad.

what i stated was one of the many challenges our society has to deal with. if a kid can have money, a car, a phone, etc by doing things illegally, and everyone around him is doing the same thing, why would he go work at mcdonalds? it doesn't matter how many jobs are offered, or what the city or state possibly does, you will not change that person - change begins at home. it begins with a parent or with a community. you can have all the job fairs you want (and i've been to plenty), you're not going to change the troublemakers. people who want to work will always continue to try and find work.

and to the point of all the abatements - which i don't support, because i get no break in my taxes - but technically, didn't / don't those projects bring some work to the area for construction and day laborers? our corner, every day, has guys who show up, with tools, and get picked up by different contractors/projects every day for work...

and as for your tone in the last paragraph - i'll ignore it. you know nothing of me, where i'm from, or where i've been. i do not prejudge. i make judgements based on what i see and experience.

if you want my life resume, i'll gladly provide.

Posted on: 2008/10/2 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
no to mention how many times we've all heard people say "why would i work for minumun wage, when i can make hundreds a day selling drugs / stealing / hustlin'"?

Amen Brother !

CK

Posted on: 2008/10/2 17:57

Re: Greenville: Jersey City teen shot; 4th shooting in 24 hours
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
Capn Jon:
Do you need a college education to wash dishes and serve tables and clean toilets? Maintenance in a hotel is not rocket science. Granted people don't want to work for peanuts but to say that their isn't a viable workforce in Jersey City is too easy. Take the NO 4 bus and the bergen bus and tell me where are these people headed to? To work right?
What has the Jersey City administration done to prove this? Has there been work fairs where 100% of the JC residents that show up are no good? A pathway needs to be created.....we have provided tax abatements to many projects that should return the favor.

For example: in our neighborhood we held a job fair along with the JCHA where over 100 people showed up and it was heartwarming to see that people were truly trying to get work and polish resumes and do something.

I don't need a job but I am empathetic and again not everyone that lives in the projects or in the "bad part of town" is a drug dealer or hanging out on the corner...we are not all illiterate over this way....we have lawyers, engineers, people in the medical field, teachers, construction contractors, people who from day to day are struggling to put food on the table and are literally fighting tooth and nail to stay in Jersey City and get past all the negativity. If we can get past the prejudgement, the negative attitudes, maybe we can motivate people who are hopeless and have no aspiration.
Those who don't want to change we will get the curfew, the cops, the mayor and everyone on them until they shape up or ship out.

Posted on: 2008/10/2 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
no to mention how many times we've all heard people say "why would i work for minumun wage, when i can make hundreds a day selling drugs / stealing / hustlin'"?

Posted on: 2008/10/2 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Lafayette wrote:
The Councilwoman is right. She's got a lot on her plate...
There is a reason for the rise in crime...it's called poverty.
NO JOBS is right...no jobs, higher rents, higher cost in food, single parents, poverty.
When people have no work and no money all hell breaks loose. This is going to affect the whole city if we don't all work together and push JCPD to be more visible.

Where's the work? You have all these new developments in downtown...HOW MANY ARE JERSEY CITY RESIDENTS?
THE WESTIN hotel is opening , how many people from JC will be working there?

Also people who have had issues with the law and are trying to get a second chance will only go back to a life of crime if they are not given the chance to get employment.

Money is the issue. There is only so much cornering of people you can do....I can keep going but I will say that this has been a long time coming and it's going to blow up.

Lafayette, you need to know, even though theres alot of development here in JC, whats lacking is a viable workforce.

The Westin hotel is a 5 star class hotel and all of it's workers need to convey that to the guests.You can't be emplyed if your an iliterate and can't put a sentence together .Thats why these companys look outside of JC for a workforce.

Its just the fact, and the Westin is just an example of many companys here in JC, theres a problem with filling those jobs because the local candidates for those positions just can't get it done.

Who do you blame for that ???

CK

Posted on: 2008/10/2 15:56

Re: More shots fired near Jersey City community center
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Greenville:
Well by the way people speak the worst and most horrible place in JC is Greenville and Bergen Lafeyette. My comments are directed for those who speak of my neighbhorhood. Seems like people don't feel the Heights is so unsafe. Growing up the way I did I don't feel safe anywhere. I watch my back anywhere I go. Simply put.

Posted on: 2008/10/2 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Heave you forgotten the three shootings last week in the heights plus the bat attack that also happen?

Posted on: 2008/10/2 15:25
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
The Councilwoman is right. She's got a lot on her plate...
There is a reason for the rise in crime...it's called poverty.
NO JOBS is right...no jobs, higher rents, higher cost in food, single parents, poverty.
When people have no work and no money all hell breaks loose. This is going to affect the whole city if we don't all work together and push JCPD to be more visible.

Where's the work? You have all these new developments in downtown...HOW MANY ARE JERSEY CITY RESIDENTS?
THE WESTIN hotel is opening , how many people from JC will be working there?

Also people who have had issues with the law and are trying to get a second chance will only go back to a life of crime if they are not given the chance to get employment.

Money is the issue. There is only so much cornering of people you can do....I can keep going but I will say that this has been a long time coming and it's going to blow up.

Posted on: 2008/10/2 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
they always say bad things happen in three's. In greenville it seems to be 3 shootings per day.

Posted on: 2008/10/2 14:54

More shots fired near Jersey City community center
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
More shots fired near Jersey City community center

by Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
Wednesday October 01, 2008, 6:56 PM

Multiple gunshots rang out near a community center in the Greenville neighborhood of Jersey City this afternoon -- the area where four shooting incidents took place in little more than a 24-hour period at the end of last month, officials said.

At about 3 p.m. police got numerous calls reporting shots being fired on Dwight Street off Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and responding officers found seven spent shells at different location in the area, police said.

Witnesses said someone on a bicycle rode up to a car near the Mary McLeod Bethune Community Center and fired at the vehicle until it drove off, police said. It's not known if anyone was hit but police have contacted area hospitals asking to be notified if a bullet wound victim turns up, police said.

Police canvassed the are but could not locate the vehicle and officers are pouring over closed circuit television footage to see if they can identify the vehicle or gunman.

When a Jersey City teen was shot twice in the chest at the location on Sept. 18, it was the fourth shooting incident there within about 24 hours.

On Sept. 17 at 5:36 p.m. police responded to King Drive and Dwight Street, and found a bullet had passed through a window at the Bethune Center and lodged in the wall of a daycare room.

At 7:50 p.m. that night, a shoot-out broke out at Bidwell and Ocean avenues, where police found spent shells of three different calibers and a 20-year-old Neptune Avenue man with bullet wounds in his back and arm.

Then at 12:12 a.m. on Sept. 18, police responded on a call of a shooting at Stegman Street and Ocean Avenue and found blood on the sidewalk and a 20-year-old man with a gunshot wound to his right elbow, reports said.

The final shooting took place that day, around 6 p.m

Police are trying to determine if today's gunfire is connected to the previous incidents.

Posted on: 2008/10/2 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pol: Neighborhood needs help and plenty of it

Saturday, September 20, 2008
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jersey City Ward F Councilwoman Viola Richardson is outraged at the recent spate of gun violence in her neighborhood and is calling for a greater police presence on the streets and a focus on the social issues that, she says, are driving crime.

"It's not anybody's fault and it's everybody's fault," Richardson said yesterday, speaking of the four shootings in roughly 24 hours on Wednesday and Thursday, including one that left a bullet in an interior wall of a daycare room at the Mary McLeod Bethune Life Center on Martin Luther King Drive.

"This is not what our forefathers fought for or Dr. King fought for," Richardson said. "It is a disgrace to Dr. King. Our community wants our children to be safe and live fulfilling lives."

Richardson, a former Jersey City police officer, said she will meet with Police Chief Tom Comey to get a more visible police presence and more proactive officers. But, she said, "police are only a Band-Aid" for the problem.

She said she will call together area ministers, community leaders and block associations to address the issue. The councilwoman said she hopes men in the community will step up and mentor young people.

"Manhood is being able to take care of your family, not shoot someone and going to jail and having someone tell you when you can go to the bathroom and everything else," Richardson said. "All they are doing is breaking their families' hearts."

High on her list of priorities is bringing jobs into the community and providing jobs or training for those released from jail so they can have a hope of being a productive part of the community.

"How are people supposed to feel good about their homes when they or their parents can't find jobs?" Richardson said. "Kids have to see their parents putting food on the table. That gives someone pride, the parent and also the child. We lock them up and put them back out there with nothing. What do we expect?"

Posted on: 2008/9/21 12:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
There are alot of problems with the Greenville area, not all of it is with the residents (but a good amount of it is). I never lived there but as a teen I hung out and slept over there alot because I had family there. There were many times there would be shootings and the police would show up a half hour or more later and sometimes not at all. Most of the shootings in this area never even make the papers. The drug dealers would sell drugs by the cameras the city put up, but it seems like no one really watches them you only hear about them helping arrest someone when they review them after a murder or robbery. I remember there being a huge fight 15-20 people on my families block in the middle of the street. A cop car drives down the street flashes the lights and tells them to stop fighting on the loud speaker never leaving his car. They ignore him and keep fighting but moving toward the sidewalk. As soon as they are out his way the cop just drives away and no other cops come back. There are alot of residents on that block that constantly called the police for the violence and drug dealing, many of them are hard working decent people. Now dont get me wrong most police do there job but it seems greenville has a good amount of the cops that dont fully do there jobs in this city and the city for the most part ignores this area.

Posted on: 2008/9/20 20:29

Greenville: Jersey City teen shot; 4th shooting in 24 hours
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Cops: Jersey City teen shot; 4th shooting in 24 hours

by Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
Friday September 19, 2008, 3:36 PM

A Jersey City teen was shot twice in the chest last night on Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and Dwight Street, one of three Greenville locations where gunfire rang out less than 24 hours earlier, officials said.

The 17-year-old Fulton Avenue boy was rushed to the Jersey City Medical Center last night around 6:40 p.m., reports said; at the hospital, a surgeon told police the teen was in stable condition.

Police on patrol on Warner Avenue near King Drive spotted a speeding car and tried to pull it over but it continued to the now-closed Greenville Hospital, where the passenger and driver jumped out and said their friend was shot, reports said.

Emergency medical technicians, who have been posted at the hospital since its closing, immediately began working on the teen, who was not able to give police information on what had happened, reports said.

The driver and passenger said they were driving south on King Drive when they spotted the friend lying on the ground at Dwight Street and realized he was shot, reports said. They loaded him into the car and sped toward the hospital, forgetting it had been closed, reports said.,

The boy was then taken to the Medical Center.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Emdot

you are 100% right in that it starts and ends in the home. unfortunately, most of these kids don't have a good foundation. Many of these kids have no chance from the start. it's really sad.

I wish more of these parents listened to bill cosby's words of wisdom.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 19:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
I am a preschool teacher four years in Washington Heights and now I teach in Paterson. Both areas are low-income and high crime areas. I agree with both sides, the cops need to step it up, but the community needs to as well. I notice a pattern with the parents that I deal with, and it leads directly to the way they are raising their children. My kids are young and untainted by society. But when I am trying to teach them how to problem solve in a non-violent way, they go home and have their parents teach them that violence solves everything. It's scary to think where some of these kids will be in ten years. There are crooked cops, just like there are crooked business men, and crooked school administrators, but if the community wants to see change they need to play a part in it.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Greenville chick

if you answered honestly which I believe you did, I wouldnt use it against you.

2 things though

please keep your windows up when blasting music, others dont want to hear it and it is against the law.

also when i asked if you thought most cops were corrupt you said "not all". So most cops are corrupt?

remember you wanted me to ask you any questions. I am a straight shooter and don't sugar coat things. sorry if it seems offensive to some on the forum but this is how problems really get resolved.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

NewHeights wrote:

Is NYC a suburb now?

Yes.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
You know what Shane, I am not embarassed about anything I do or say, I back up everything 100%, and im honest to myself and everyone else. If all that information will help you sleep better at night more power to him.

I know he will use everything I said against me, but then again I don't care. All that matters is I know the type of person I am not some faceless person on JCLIST.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 17:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/4 18:24
Group:
Registered Users
I can't believe you responded either. I've read a lot of outrageous things on list but never the kind of questions presented to you by this jerk. Your point has been made many times over. Let it rest.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
1.Do you embrace the gangsta lifestyle,directly involved or assocate with those that do? - NO I DO NOT EMBRACE IT, I HAVE STATED BEFORE I AM A PROFESSIONAL FEMALE, I HAVE FRIENDS WHO HAVE MADE WRONG DECISIONS, I AM NOT FRIENDS WITH "DEALERS' AT LEAST I DONT THINK SO, DO I LISTEN TO RAP? I SURE DO, DO I PLAY IT AT A HIGH VOLUME WHEN I'M IN MY CAR? I SURE DO ... BUT I LOVE MUSIC IT'S MY ESCAPE...

2.do you think its uncool to snitch? "UNCOOL?" I AM NOT IN 5TH GRADE
have you ever snitched? NEVER SNITCHED

3. Have you ever had a felony arrest or dated a convicted felon? NO I HAVE NOT, A FELON? THE QUALIFICATIONS OF A FELONY INCLUDES MURDER, RAPE, BURGLARY... MISDEMEANORS... YES DOES THAT MATTER? NO

4. do you think most cops are crooked? NOT ALL

5. Is rascism to blame for the problems in the african american community ? NO... I NEVER STATED THAT, AND QUITE FRANKLY I NEVER STATED RACISIM AS THE CAUSE OF THESE PROBLEMS... SO IM TIRED OF SEEING THAT... I NEVER MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT AFRICAN AMERICANS

I cant believe I answered this, so you can make an even more warped view of me, according to your stereotypes.
Again, I am not a bad person, I volunteer, I own a shelter dog rescued from the HCSPCA, I clean up the garbage in front of my house that I dont OWN, I knock on my neighbors doors who oversleep when the street cleaner comes, I am pretty well educated.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
NewHts: the 2nd amendment is very important agreed.

On your point to greenville chick I believe it is not about race but about economics. Poverty in one end of town.....
You ever seen the movie Gangsters in NY....the situation that NY slums were in 150 years ago?

ITs called Poverty, and low income.......crime is directly related to it.

How can people help? Back up responsible development. not just new development. Stay in tune with what's happening in our city.

And make the developers keep their affordable component portion of their projects in their new buildings.
Make sure they are hiring local Jersey city Residents.
Enforce the 10 pm curfew.
Invest UEZ funding in WARD F and WARD A and not in a PASEO in downtown....

Posted on: 2008/9/19 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
lafayette

everything you mention is why the 2nd ammendment is so important.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Greenville Chick

1.Do you embrace the gangsta lifestyle,directly involved or assocate with those that do?

2.do you think its uncool to snitch? have you ever snitched?

3. Have you ever had a felony arrest or dated a convicted felon?

4. do you think most cops are crooked?

5. Is rascism to blame for the problems in the african american community ?

thanks

Posted on: 2008/9/19 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
*gasp* crooked cops?!

NO WAY!

Posted on: 2008/9/19 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
You know there are cops in bergen lafayette and greenville that are in cahoots with the dealers..how else would they be running around without caring of getting interrupted on their daily dealings. Please I've seen neighbors garbage cans lit up when they have called the cops, I have seen guys get off the corner as soon as we have called...as if someone is warning them .....we told a cop once "Hey there are is a group in front of my house smoking marijuana , could you please see what's going on, "he turns and looks at me and says put your seatbelt on with a smirk....I have no love for the cops in this area until I really see that they are clearing up and enforcing.
I have no idea if the guy that was shot deserved it or not. I read his father was also killed in the street and he followed a lifestyle that in turn gets you into trouble, Unfortunately this happens. The cops are also trying to do their jobs but they are humans and they are faced with gun toting careless young people who have had no love in their home and who don't care to die......its rough . There is no one solution. But yes there are cops here namely 2 that i know of that are well know by street nicknames and are crooked.
Like someone said, AM I going to risk my family's safety !? NO way.! ITs all fear......its always been fear in this part of town.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 16:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
When Greenville said the cops should have to live where they work. That's absurd, but I wasn't only referencing this thread nor was I quoting you on anything, it wasn't directed at you. However, in the other Greenville shooting thread there was a sense there that some people felt the cop was to blame.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Who blamed cops for the last incidents?? Show me
And what are you instructing us to do by taking it into our own hands short of attending meetings.

Hold protests? So all the dealers can know who we are so when they come to murder us, they know exactly who they are looking for?

Posted on: 2008/9/19 16:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
Greeneville -

according to Lynn we should be making citizens arrests...

WTF??

I never said anything about citizens arrests. I said that the people who live in Greenville need to start stepping up and taking some responsibility of the sh*t that happens there.
Stop making excuses and blaming the cops.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
New Heights -

More to my story like what?
I don't understand what you are inferring but feel free to ask me anything and I will answer with an honest response.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Rudy Guiliani would disagree with you greenville chick.

After dinkins ran the city into the ground Guiliani turned it back into the greatest city in the world.

An important part of his approach was to focus on quality of life crimes.

Is NYC a suburb now? There is more to your story than you're telling us greenville chick.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 15:43

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017