Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: No more passageway? Developer's protest may alter Newark Ave. redevelopment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Opposition to this is so silly. This is a nice looking plan! those who oppose this should quit complaining about how trashy newark ave. is. we all agree that the street needs an upgrade, but then when people try to do something about it, everyone has one complaint or another. There is no reason to oppose a "nook" of cafes. No, vagrants will not hang out there because it would/could be gated (nicely) at off-hours. The plan that the city put forth wasn't even for eminent domain so that is not even on the table at this point. The plan was to buy the lot from the DelForno's. That means that if they won't sell it, a new plan needs to be made. There can't just suddenly be eminent domain, the law doesn't work that way, there are steps and the process wasn't put in place for eminent domain. Crying and begging for upgrades to the Avenue is just pointless if when someone comes around to do something, you complain. ANd by the way, the paseo has nothing to do with the street improvements - they can go hand in hand but the approval or denial or delay of one doesn't have anything to do with the other.

Posted on: 2008/9/20 23:44

No more passageway? Developer's protest may alter Newark Ave. redevelopment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
No more walkway?
A developer's protest may alter Newark Ave. redevelopment

Ricardo Kaulessar
Hudson Reporter
09/19/2008

VOTING ON PLAN ? The City Council will likely vote this Wednesday on a plan to revitalize Newark Avenue?s streets and buildings.

The City Council recently postponed voting on a detailed plan to revamp the area around Newark Avenue, but may vote on it this Wednesday.

The plan may be changed first, because in its present form, it suggests that the city will buy a privately owned lot and put a walkway on it, connecting Newark Avenue to Christopher Columbus Drive.

However, the present owners of the lot say they want to build on it themselves, rather than having to sell it to the city.

Councilman Steven Fulop, a major proponent of the plan, feels that the property - located at 141 Newark Ave. - will cause an added expense to the city anyway, so he said he'd be willing to forgo the passageway.

The Newark Avenue Redevelopment Plan also provides for revitalized storefronts looking out on Christopher Columbus Drive, as well as new building guidelines and more pedestrian-friendly sidewalks.

The plan covers an area bounded by Grove Street to the east, Christopher Columbus Drive to the south, Newark Avenue to the north, and Jersey Avenue to the west.

Fulop has discussed upgrading the streetscape on Newark Avenue for about two years with business owners and residents in the area, aiming to bring in new businesses and make the area more pedestrian friendly.

Fulop said he believes that the plan will come up for a vote this coming Wednesday at 6 p.m. at School 4 on Bright Street.

Once a city approves a redevelopment plan, they can alter the zoning, seek developers, and force property owners to sell them land under "eminent domain."

This land is my land

Advertisement

The owners of the empty lot at 141 Newark Ave. sent representatives to the Sept. 10 council meeting to speak on their behalf. The property is owned by Five Star Investment Group, a subsidiary of the Joseph A. Del Forno Inc. real estate firm on Jersey Avenue in downtown Jersey City.

The city would have to acquire the property from Five Star to build on it. The city would get the money to buy it from the designated developer or developers selected to redevelop the zone. Those builders would likely be permitted to build structures higher than the presently-allowed four floors in the area.

Lawrence Perlaki, one of the principals in Five Star, and his attorney Charles Harrington, argued at the meeting the city's planning division knew Five Star had submitted plans for a new building on the empty lot before there was a fire there last November.

City planner Maryanne Bucci-Carter said Five Star had communicated to the Planning Division that they were looking to build, but she said they stopped communicating after the fire.

The "paseo," or passageway, would not just be a walkway for the public from Newark Avenue to Columbus Drive, but also a public plaza with an outdoor dining and seating area and greenery.

Other elements of the plan

Fulop said he is optimistic that the plan will be approved, but with an amendment removing the paseo feature. He said he has no problem with the paseo being removed from the plan, pointing out the hefty cost to the city if it had to acquire the property.

If this plan is approved, it means a number of changes for that area.

One of the major elements of the plan is the development of 121 -125 Newark Ave., currently owned by the city and the home of the Jersey City Employment and Training Program. The city is planning to put the building up for sale before the end of this year, if not sooner.

Whoever bought the land could build up to eight stories, according to the plan.

The plan also calls for a setback of eight feet from the street for storefronts on Columbus Drive, to allow for the creation of pedestrian-friendly sidewalks.

Also, parking would continue to be prohibited on Newark Avenue, and all parking for buildings in the plan would be located inside those buildings.

Fulop also said a $2 million grant from the NJ Department of Transportation is in place for a new streetscape to be implemented on part of Newark Avenue, which includes the new lighting, street furniture, and sidewalks.

Comments on this story can be sent to rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com.

Posted on: 2008/9/20 1:14

Re: Newark Avenue Redevelopment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nickie wrote:
Quote:

JimmyB wrote:
Quote:

nickie wrote:
...some development is better than none, but what came first the chicken or the egg?

If Newark Ave between Jersey Ave and Brunswick was redeveloped, wouldn't it "get less seedy?"

Especially with the new Fields housing project on Newark just across from It's Greek to Me, in full swing, you would think they'd want to continue the development westward. Brunswick is a definitive stop to Newark Ave in terms of the downtown area, it would look strange if the redevelopment ended at Jersey.

I have to agree. In a perfect world, what would you like to see happen? I'm always curious to hear the ideas the locals have. I mean, we live here right?

I don't know if I have any new ideas other than what has been discussed here. Extending the redevelopment beyond Jersey shouldn't be too difficult...continue westward with the paving of the sidewalks and streets and the addition of benchs and new street lamps...Everything else, new businesses, restaurants, etc should follow.

I do, however, disagree with the paseo - especially if it is going to be located in the empty lot steps away from Grove Street. That opening is just too narrow to have store fronts or restaurant seating without tearing down one of the adjacent buildings. When I walked past today, I was disgusted by the thought of eating in that dark, narrow passageway no matter how nice and well-lit they make it. The buildings next to it are just too tall and it's not a very open space. It would require artificial lighting at almost all times of the day.

Why not make Newark Avenue a one-way street, have Columbus continue to be the busier two-way street, and make the sidewalks a little wider allowing for outdoor dining?

I must agree, "why not make Newark Avenue a one-way street, have Columbus continue to be the busier two-way street, and make the sidewalks a little wider allowing for outdoor dining?"

Columbus is a wide FOUR LANE road -- it's not the narrow curving diagonal two lane street, that cuts right through much of Downtown the way Newark Avenue does.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 12:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/10 14:44
From Under the Turnpike
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JimmyB wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
+1

Quote:

nickie wrote:
...some development is better than none, but what came first the chicken or the egg?

If Newark Ave between Jersey Ave and Brunswick was redeveloped, wouldn't it "get less seedy?"

Especially with the new Fields housing project on Newark just across from It's Greek to Me, in full swing, you would think they'd want to continue the development westward. Brunswick is a definitive stop to Newark Ave in terms of the downtown area, it would look strange if the redevelopment ended at Jersey.

I have to agree. In a perfect world, what would you like to see happen? I'm always curious to hear the ideas the locals have. I mean, we live here right?

I don't know if I have any new ideas other than what has been discussed here. Extending the redevelopment beyond Jersey shouldn't be too difficult...continue westward with the paving of the sidewalks and streets and the addition of benchs and new street lamps...Everything else, new businesses, restaurants, etc should follow.

I do, however, disagree with the paseo - especially if it is going to be located in the empty lot steps away from Grove Street. That opening is just too narrow to have store fronts or restaurant seating without tearing down one of the adjacent buildings. When I walked past today, I was disgusted by the thought of eating in that dark, narrow passageway no matter how nice and well-lit they make it. The buildings next to it are just too tall and it's not a very open space. It would require artificial lighting at almost all times of the day.

Why not make Newark Avenue a one-way street, have Columbus continue to be the busier two-way street, and make the sidewalks a little wider allowing for outdoor dining?

Posted on: 2008/9/17 13:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/26 13:29
Group:
Registered Users
I know this is slightly off-topic, but has anyone heard an update on the paving of Christopher Columbus? It's getting really bad, both for driving and road noise.

Posted on: 2008/9/17 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
After black Sunday -- I am now 100% behind any and all projects for Newark Avenue!

Posted on: 2008/9/17 0:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/14 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

joesas wrote:

The 'paseo' (note not 'some alley')seating can offer shade and be away from the hustle and bustle, and people walking their dogs...

You can't ban our "Companion Dogs", Gayle and I were just talking about this. All over the country laws are being put in place to allow people with "companion dogs" to dine outside at restaurants.

I'm going to have to do a show on this.

http://tnjn.com/2008/feb/25/bill-could-allow-companion-dog/

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/9/16 10:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
+1

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

From where are these mystery pedestrians coming from? Anyone on Grove Street can get to Newark Avenue at Grove Street. Anyone on Barrow Street can get to Newark Avenue from Barrow Street. Is there some mysterious tunnel where pedestrians emerge in the middle of Columbus Blvd that would make a passageway in the middle of the block useful? Is there some sort of Harry Potter magic that makes Columbus blvd between Grove Street and Barrow Street infinitely long?

The passageway concept is a false hope. Its the sort of pet project some elected official latches onto because he thinks that soliciting votes is the same thing as being qualified to make urban planning decisions. The idea reeks of 1980's urban renewal.

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

If the city is truly interested in redeveloping Columbus Blvd, perhaps they should start with better zoning practices. For instance, a year or two ago, a new laundromat opened on Columbus Blvd, with a big parking lot, segregating the building from the sidewalk, making the street even less pedestrian friendly than it already was. Great. That's suburban renewal, not urban renewal.

Posted on: 2008/9/16 2:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/15 12:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Good points ianmac47 & hero69

Cafe seating is great, but why take land to give to other property owners for outside seating in a new city-made alleyway? Sure it is great for those two building owners -- but hell, the city has already changed zoning for that block or two and allows for bars right next to bars, so obviously those two owners will rent their buildings out to bars to max their rent rolls.

But if you want to try to "Redevelop Newark Avenue," if you want it nicer to walk down, further than a block or two, then you place all Cafe seating out onto Newark Avenue and not in some alleyway! Just look at Grove Street -- would that cafe seating be better off in some alley?

[/quote]

The 'paseo' (note not 'some alley')seating can offer shade and be away from the hustle and bustle, and people walking their dogs and the car noise. they have this type of seating in montclair and it is quite nice.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Good points ianmac47 & hero69

Cafe seating is great, but why take land to give to other property owners for outside seating in a new city-made alleyway? Sure it is great for those two building owners -- but hell, the city has already changed zoning for that block or two and allows for bars right next to bars, so obviously those two owners will rent their buildings out to bars to max their rent rolls.

But if you want to try to "Redevelop Newark Avenue," if you want it nicer to walk down, further than a block or two, then you place all Cafe seating out onto Newark Avenue and not in some alleyway! Just look at Grove Street -- would that cafe seating be better off in some alley?

Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
To clarify a point of confusion, the paseo involves NO eminent domain. Should the City choose to have a paseo, the property would be PURCHASED at fair market value from the owner.

Quote:

Joesas wrote:
I think the point of the paseo is less of getting from one side to the other...and more to have some seating areas for restaurants that is quiet. It will be much better than dining on c columbus or directly on newark.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 16:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/16 6:09
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
To clarify a point of confusion, the paseo involves NO eminent domain. Should the City choose to have a paseo, the property would be PURCHASED at fair market value from the owner.

The lawful exercise of eminent domain ALWAYS involves the government paying the land-owner "just compensation", i.e. fair market value for the property in question. There are always disputes about exactly what FMV is, but that is typically the case whether acquisition is through eminent domain or not.

I have no feelings about the "paseo" one way or another, and zero interest in defending it or justifying it. But suggesting it will somehow have a negative impact on Newark Avenue foot-traffic is alarmist and silly. There are plenty of more legitimate criticisms about the proposal than that one.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 16:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/15 12:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

5dollars4eachofu wrote:
I agree that the alley project sounds lame, and would require a big sales pitch to get people on board, but do you really live in a world where people only travel in one direction? By your logic, the alley is just as likely to steer Grove Street traffic towards the rest of Newark Ave and downtown as it is to steer it away from Newark Ave. That last stretch of Newark is a very long block, and providing more access points and options could just as likely help get people onto Newark Avenue.

From where are these mystery pedestrians coming from? Anyone on Grove Street can get to Newark Avenue at Grove Street. Anyone on Barrow Street can get to Newark Avenue from Barrow Street. Is there some mysterious tunnel where pedestrians emerge in the middle of Columbus Blvd that would make a passageway in the middle of the block useful? Is there some sort of Harry Potter magic that makes Columbus blvd between Grove Street and Barrow Street infinitely long?

The passageway concept is a false hope. Its the sort of pet project some elected official latches onto because he thinks that soliciting votes is the same thing as being qualified to make urban planning decisions. The idea reeks of 1980's urban renewal.

I think the point of the paseo is less of getting from one side to the other...and more to have some seating areas for restaurants that is quiet. It will be much better than dining on c columbus or directly on newark.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:

That is, assuming a willing seller. Currently the owner has a blank slate, not a historically protected building. The owner could construct a new building on the property and expect a bigger financial windfall from developing the lot than selling it as is.

If the city is truly interested in redeveloping Columbus Blvd, perhaps they should start with better zoning practices. For instance, a year or two ago, a new laundromat opened on Columbus Blvd, with a big parking lot, segregating the building from the sidewalk, making the street even less pedestrian friendly than it already was. Great. That's suburban renewal, not urban renewal.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users

Also, if anyone is unsure about a paseo (whether it would work or what one is), City Planning showed council a VERY good video about how paseos work and you can sometimes see it on channel 1. It would be a passageway of cafes, etc. Not an alley. If you've been to Europe or South America, you have no doubt been in one.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Good point. I don't see why one needs a paseo between columbus. I would be afriad to walk down that way.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

5dollars4eachofu wrote:
I agree that the alley project sounds lame, and would require a big sales pitch to get people on board, but do you really live in a world where people only travel in one direction? By your logic, the alley is just as likely to steer Grove Street traffic towards the rest of Newark Ave and downtown as it is to steer it away from Newark Ave. That last stretch of Newark is a very long block, and providing more access points and options could just as likely help get people onto Newark Avenue.

Posted on: 2008/9/15 13:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/27 3:53
From Gull's Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
+1

Quote:

nickie wrote:

Posted on: 2008/9/14 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
+1

Quote:

nickie wrote:

Posted on: 2008/9/14 13:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/9 14:13
Group:
Registered Users
City Council postponed voting on the Newark Ave Redevelopment last Wednesday to allow time for a public presentation and discussion. The Van Vorst Park Association has provided this info and a link to download the proposed plan on it's web site, www.vvpa.org --Here is the formal annoucement:

You are invited to an informal presentation and discussion of the proposed Newark Avenue Redevelopment Plan on Wednesday, September 17, 2008. The meeting will convene at 5:30PM, at 30 Montgomery Street, in the 14th Floor Conference Room. Parking is available on Christopher Columbus Drive. A copy of the proposed Newark Avenue Downtown Redevelopment Plan can be downloaded here for your convenience.

The plan reflects the redevelopment goals within the Newark Avenue Study Area. This area is comprised of two blocks bounded by Jersey Avenue, Newark Avenue, Grove Street and Christopher Columbus Drive. A boundary map of the area is provided in the plan.

This informal meeting will provide all interested persons an opportunity to make suggestions and discuss concerns regarding the area and its future development.

Posted on: 2008/9/13 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JR123 wrote:
The street scape is the project that has already been funded by the DOT grant and extends to Jersey as approved.

What about the other 2/3's of Newark Avenue Downtown? Not carrying the street scape all the way to Brunswick will just make the vast majority of Newark Avenue look more shabby!

Quote:

JR123 wrote:
The idea is to start near the PATH to take advantage of that number of people and encourage them to come into the district, not just ignore it and walk by.

I fail to see how a covered alleyway encourages people to come to "the district," it seems to just steer people back towards Grove Street. I know this project is great for the few new bar owners and for the property owners in that block (who more than double their number of storefronts) but I fail to see it redeveloping Newark Avenue.

Posted on: 2008/9/13 13:23

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/2 4:24
Group:
Registered Users
Please understand that these are two distinct and separate projects. The redevelopment AND the street scape. The street scape is the project that has already been funded by the DOT grant and extends to Jersey as approved. The paseo does not have an impact on the grant money.

We, the HDSID are the special improvement district that covers the area in question. Like I have said, our meetings are the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 10am. JCDOWNTOWN.COM. We welcome all of your comments and would love to have your help. But please understand that almost 13,000 people use the Grove Street PATH each day. The idea is to start near the PATH to take advantage of that number of people and encourage them to come into the district, not just ignore it and walk by. It makes sense to start at the center of that traffic and work outward. This is just the start of what we hope will be continued improvements. But it has to start somewhere and it makes sense to start on Newark from Grove west.

Thanks....
John

Posted on: 2008/9/13 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ignore bitter NON/5$4u, he has been banned like 4 times already.

Just look at some of the businesses on, or around, Newark Avenue from Jersey Ave to Brunswick -- Metropolis Music, Madame Claude Cafe/French Bistro, Lamp Post, It's Greek to Me, Nha Trang, Saigon Cafe, Abbey's not to mention all the Galleries and Vintage Stores on Brunswick. (There is also a ton of new housing being built like the huge Fields' Development and tons of smaller projects.)

Compare all this to the few new places right by Grove Street (Skinner's Loft, Sewadee, Ox) -- these all are products of SPECIAL NEW REDEVELOPMENT ZONING allowing them to legally exist right next door to each other with liquor licenses. (Can you say Hoboken problems coming soon?)

It is now time to care about more than just the Grove Street area - this redevelopment money needs to be used to redevelop all of Downtown Newark Avenue. We don't need to waste millions on a covered alleyway, half a block from Grove Street. The alley will just steer foot traffic AWAY from Newark Avenue and from the rest of Downtown! Streetscaping and going with one-way traffic would do a lot more, for a lot less, than the cost of an "Alley to Nowhere."

Quote:

Metropolis wrote:
Quote:

5dollars4eachofu wrote:
Considering that Skinner's Loft, Sewadee, and Ox have all opened within roughly a year of each other, and businesses further west on Newark have struggled or closed (Kineret Israeli Deli, Pop Merrigan's), it's only fair to reward the area that has seen successful investment already.

Hey Starbucks at Grove has been open a few months... let's throw a parade and give them their own light rail stop. Businesses everywhere have struggled and/or closed. 2 new restaurants within a block of each other in the last year is hardly cause for exclusive reward.

Mark.

Come down to Metropolis next month for our 6 year anniversary! Located at the grungy end of downtown Newark ave.

Posted on: 2008/9/13 13:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The Village Neighborhood Association - http://jcvillage.org/ has been advocating for the streetscape project to extend west past Brunswick for some time.

Be it finding the resources to continue the streetscape renovation west or closing Barrow or Newark to motor vehicles it is very easy to find a reason not to, however, we do not need to accept this. If there is a will to accomplish these goals, it certainly is possible. Right now the way to do so will be to express you concerns at the next HCA meeting and the City Council meeting the plan will be voted on.

Posted on: 2008/9/13 2:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

5dollars4eachofu wrote:
Considering that Skinner's Loft, Sewadee, and Ox have all opened within roughly a year of each other, and businesses further west on Newark have struggled or closed (Kineret Israeli Deli, Pop Merrigan's), it's only fair to reward the area that has seen successful investment already.

Hey Starbucks at Grove has been open a few months... let's throw a parade and give them their own light rail stop. Businesses everywhere have struggled and/or closed. 2 new restaurants within a block of each other in the last year is hardly cause for exclusive reward.

Mark.

Come down to Metropolis next month for our 6 year anniversary! Located at the grungy end of downtown Newark ave.

Posted on: 2008/9/13 2:22
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nickie wrote:
Quote:

5dollars4eachofu wrote:

The plan does improve Newark Avenue downtown. Part of it is better than none. When Newark Ave west of Jersey gets less seedy, it'll be redeveloped too.

I absolutely agree with you - some development is better than none, but what came first the chicken or the egg?

It's always a zero sum game, and with limited funds available, I'd rather see the money spent well on a full redevelopment (paseo notwithstanding), instead of spreading the funds out and doing a half-assed job.

It's coming, folks. Not as quickly as some might have hoped/thought/felt entitled to during the boom when they bought. But to use a tired expression, it's a waste of resources to try to, well, put lipstick on a pig.

Posted on: 2008/9/12 22:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/10 14:44
From Under the Turnpike
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

5dollars4eachofu wrote:

The plan does improve Newark Avenue downtown. Part of it is better than none. When Newark Ave west of Jersey gets less seedy, it'll be redeveloped too.

I absolutely agree with you - some development is better than none, but what came first the chicken or the egg?

Posted on: 2008/9/12 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Non/5dollars4eachofu I thought you were banned, you nasty little troll.

Posted on: 2008/9/12 19:07

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

JR123 wrote:
Yes the plan only calls for it to go up to Jersey ave. The money, about 2 mil, is coming from a DOT grant. The city, with the help of the HDSID is fighting for more money to extend the project. The city requested and was granted an extension to seek more cash from another grant, UEZ and yes, perhaps the city may even put some money into it.

Well, I would think that taking improvements all the way down Newark Avenue to Brunswick would be a much better way to "redevelop" Newark Avenue than building an expensive detour off of Newark Avenue via a covered alleyway steering foot traffic back around towards Grove Street. I know it'll be great for building owners in that first block -- and for new renters and Condo owners in the towers -- but it does nothing to improve Newark Avenue Downtown!

Sounds like somebody is a property owner near the western end of Newark Ave downtown. I'm sure GrovePath would be complaining if the two blocks of Newark Ave near him were selected for redevelopment.

Oh, and where's Grand Ave.?

Posted on: 2008/9/12 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JR123 wrote:
Yes the plan only calls for it to go up to Jersey ave. The money, about 2 mil, is coming from a DOT grant. The city, with the help of the HDSID is fighting for more money to extend the project. The city requested and was granted an extension to seek more cash from another grant, UEZ and yes, perhaps the city may even put some money into it.

Well, I would think that taking improvements all the way down Newark Avenue to Brunswick would be a much better way to "redevelop" Newark Avenue than building an expensive detour off of Newark Avenue via a covered alleyway steering foot traffic back around towards Grove Street. I know it'll be great for building owners in that first block -- and for new renters and Condo owners in the towers -- but it does nothing to improve Newark Avenue Downtown!

Posted on: 2008/9/12 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Isn't Newark Avenue already zoned for 6 stories, or was 213 Newark Avenue a variance (which is to be 6 stories).

Posted on: 2008/9/12 14:00

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017