Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 11 »

Re: towing at shoprite?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Car being towed on Marin Blvd - Jersey City Style from the Shoprite Carpark

Posted on: 2008/8/29 3:52
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/12 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Falcon wrote:

Resized Image

What I see is someone driving in an aggressive manner at one of those pesky BJ's shopping carts. The tow truck just happens to be in the way.

If done properly, you should be able to get all four tires off the ground when launching over those speed bumps. You get bonus points if you make sparks (especially at night).

Posted on: 2008/8/29 1:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image A tribute to our favorite tow truck driver

Posted on: 2008/8/29 1:26
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCase wrote:
Quote:

Falcon wrote:
Let me make it clear that I am support the mall operator for enforcing their right to keep parking spaces available to their customers.

Someone today pointed out to me that my claim about this particular photo is not as obvious as I thought. I took this photo and I posted it because I saw this car being towed on one wheel. Now looking at it more objectively I can see that it could look like two wheels are on the ground.

I maintain that I witnessed this car being towed on one wheel before I put the camera in front of my face and if this car was damaged as a result I think the owner would be glad to see this photo.
Resized Image

It appears to me that the right rear tire may have still been off the ground when you snapped the picture. The right rear tire could be perceived as being on the ground because the shadow it casts seems to touch the tire itself. But that shadow is probably cast by the inner edge of the tire, runs under the lifted tire and therefore would appear to touch the outer edge even if the tire were off the ground. I also think you can see a difference between the right and left rear tire shapes, with the left being flatter on the ground because it is bearing weight. Nevertheless, on a view of the tires alone I would not be convinced either way.

What appears clearest to me though is that the left side of the bumper is closer to the ground than the right side, as is the left exhaust pipe versus the right.

The phenomenon could be caused by several factors. Speed of the towing vehicle in a turn, momentary lift due to centrifigal force, phase of the moon. I could go into some highly advanced physics theory that none of you people could ever comprehend. But what's the point? It's a New York car, who gives a $hit. They deserve to be towed.

Posted on: 2008/8/29 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Falcon wrote:
Let me make it clear that I am support the mall operator for enforcing their right to keep parking spaces available to their customers.

Someone today pointed out to me that my claim about this particular photo is not as obvious as I thought. I took this photo and I posted it because I saw this car being towed on one wheel. Now looking at it more objectively I can see that it could look like two wheels are on the ground.

I maintain that I witnessed this car being towed on one wheel before I put the camera in front of my face and if this car was damaged as a result I think the owner would be glad to see this photo.
Resized Image

It appears to me that the right rear tire may have still been off the ground when you snapped the picture. The right rear tire could be perceived as being on the ground because the shadow it casts seems to touch the tire itself. But that shadow is probably cast by the inner edge of the tire, runs under the lifted tire and therefore would appear to touch the outer edge even if the tire were off the ground. I also think you can see a difference between the right and left rear tire shapes, with the left being flatter on the ground because it is bearing weight. Nevertheless, on a view of the tires alone I would not be convinced either way.

What appears clearest to me though is that the left side of the bumper is closer to the ground than the right side, as is the left exhaust pipe versus the right.

Posted on: 2008/8/29 0:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/8/28 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
jc12579, Please click here for the solution to your problem.

I assume some, maybe a majority, of the people who get towed simply don't know they will be towed, if they did, they probably wouldn't risk it over $3.

People who don't know, park there because it is more convenient to park in that lot for shopping at SR/BJs AND the mall. If the shoppers purchased something at one of those stores (BBB,SR,PB,BJs), do they deserve to get towed? I don't think so, and most reasonable people wouldn't either.

Shady operation run by shady people that add 0 value to the community.

Posted on: 2008/8/28 19:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/17 22:30
Group:
Registered Users
personally i think jc73 owns a tow truck company and he is just trying to rid himself of his guilt, however, i agree.... the only people that you can blame is yourself. the idiots who want to take the chance and park in the lot so they don't have to pay $3.00 for parking are just that....IDIOTS!!!!

btw, i just love the people who keep saying i can't afford to pay the tow company or i can't afford to pay the parking fees, but they can afford to drive around in brand new mercedes and bmw cars. i think im gonna sit in the lot in my spare time and help the spotters because im sick of all you whining bitches.

Posted on: 2008/8/28 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

williamgeo wrote:
my roommate has seen JC police giving tickets to people using the parking lot of BJ's as a cut-through from 2nd St near Washington. Doesn't make sense but be on the alert for abuse of power.
--------------------
williamgeorge
New Jersey Alcohol Addiction Treatment

I admit that I received this same ticket. However, it was during a 3 month stretch where 2nd/Washington was blocked to traffic due to construction at the A. While what I did was still a violation (I admit it), it was not a threat to public because there was no possible way for traffic to come down 2nd.

Now, I've seen the tow operator AND police cars do this exact same thing on 2nd st and sure, it pisses me off too.

jc73, I agree with your assessment to vote with your wallet however sometimes its nice to vent.

Posted on: 2008/8/28 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I was parked in Modells lot one day, I was in there about an hour or so tryin on sneakers and clothes, I just happened to walk past the front entrance and saw thier tow company putting my car on a hook. I ran out of the storeew and yelled at the guy, at first he wasn't going to put my car down, I finally told him go ahead take it and I was going to have him arrested for stealing my car, and then sue the tow company for every penny I could squeeze out of them and he didn't stand a chance in hell to win because I was on vidoe the entire time in the store. He put my car down and left. So how do I fix this I don't shop in Modells anymore.

Have people thought about complaining to store management about the towing issue? True, they don't own the property, but they are the tenant and they're also national chains - which ought to carry some weight with the landlord. While I agree that people who use the parking lots to avoid paying mall parking deserve to get towed, what bothers me - and a lot of other people, it seems - is the frequent occurence of cars being wrongfully towed. A friend of mine was towed while she was shopping at Shop Rite - all because she happened to give a ride to a neighbor who wanted to go to the mall. What's infuriating is that there's no recourse for people who were towed by mistake - no refund of the towing fee, or apology. The thugs who do the towing are just out to make as much $$$ as possible. They don't particularly care if they make mistakes. I'm also under the impression that with more and more people increasingly aware of the towing policy, they've become more brazen about towing people who shouldn't be towed.

Posted on: 2008/8/28 12:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

williamgeo wrote:
my roommate has seen JC police giving tickets to people using the parking lot of BJ's as a cut-through from 2nd St near Washington. Doesn't make sense but be on the alert for abuse of power.

That does make sense and it's not an abuse of power. Would you want cars speeding through your parking lot that weren't doing business there?

Posted on: 2008/8/28 9:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/28 7:07
Group:
Registered Users
--------------------
williamgeorge
New Jersey Alcohol Addiction Treatment

Posted on: 2008/8/28 7:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
NNJR I have no connection to the tow companies, I read these threads day after day about people complaining about the size of the signs,how unfair it is that you can't park there to go to the mall, how the tow drivers won't give the car up if you don't pay. It's simple just don't shop there, why does someone come up with a petition to not the store manager but to the corporation of shop rite or whoever owns the lot. Tell them about the tow company and how nobody wants to shop there because they feear thier car may be accidently towed and the only way to get it back and to pay an outrageous fee and you have to go to court and PROVE that you never left the lot in oreder to sue for your money back.

I was parked in Modells lot one day, I was in there about an hour or so tryin on sneakers and clothes, I just happened to walk past the front entrance and saw thier tow company putting my car on a hook. I ran out of the storeew and yelled at the guy, at first he wasn't going to put my car down, I finally told him go ahead take it and I was going to have him arrested for stealing my car, and then sue the tow company for every penny I could squeeze out of them and he didn't stand a chance in hell to win because I was on vidoe the entire time in the store. He put my car down and left. So how do I fix this I don't shop in Modells anymore.

So do like everyone says and shop somewhere else, the corpation will feel it in thier pockets.

Posted on: 2008/8/28 7:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

That would be nice - simple tickets instead of towing - but the owner/manager of the lot is not a law enforcement agency and wouldn't be able to enforce the tickets. People could simply ignore them, throw them out. So that would never happen.

kind of like how the parking authority justifies giving tickets to people at illegally posted handicapped spots on the last day of the month to fit their quota then...you go into the store, there's no signs, you come out and there are signs in buckets filled with cement conveniently in front of your ticketed car. what a scam that entire lot is. everyone's got their hand in that cookie jar.

Posted on: 2008/8/28 6:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Why can't the contractor for the control of the Shoprite carpark simply issue kick-ass fines to the illegally parked cars instead of towing them - I'm sure a large fine will give you the same deterrent... also get some kick-ass SUPER sized signs at every entry point to the carpark, because I bet a lot of your so called business, is from 'out of towners' or unsuspecting motorists that simply concentrate on driving then reading signs when entering that carpark.

That would be nice - simple tickets instead of towing - but the owner/manager of the lot is not a law enforcement agency and wouldn't be able to enforce the tickets. People could simply ignore them, throw them out. So that would never happen.

Now, super-sized signs, that would be more than fair, and something worth pushing for, both on the owner/manager of the lot, and asking the council member to put a little pressure on them as well.

I prefer to keep this thread alive, despite the protests of others, in order to expose the injustice that exists at the ShopRite lot. But I try to do most of my grocery shopping at the A&P and things I'd normally buy at Bed,Bath & Beyond I buy at Linens n Things (also in the same shopping plaza as the A&P). So I vote with my feet. Never a problem at that lot.

Posted on: 2008/8/28 3:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I called the police for him driving recklessly and going the wrong way down 2nd street. I took pictures of this and was threatened with violence. You can choose to believe me or not.

Falcon had he police called on him.

Posted on: 2008/8/28 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Why can't the contractor for the control of the Shoprite carpark simply issue kick-ass fines to the illegally parked cars instead of towing them - I'm sure a large fine will give you the same deterrent... also get some kick-ass SUPER sized signs at every entry point to the carpark, because I bet a lot of your so called business, is from 'out of towners' or unsuspecting motorists that simply concentrate on driving then reading signs when entering that carpark.

The focus on towing then informing is a scam, because your 'look-outs' could easily tell people after they have parked what the rules are, but instead your look-outs give the all clear to go tow.

Is that customer service and a deterrent to get voluntary compliance or a plain and simple way of exploiting a situation ?

Posted on: 2008/8/27 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The issue is not the tow rule at shoprite - I have no problem having cars towed from a private lot in a public area, but I do like the photo for one reason ... It highlights the possibility that these cowboys could damage my car in the process.

Get a fine is fine, but damaging your car in the process is another story !

Posted on: 2008/8/25 23:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Some of you seem to miss the point that these tow truck guys are evil. They prey on the poor, illiterate, and newcomers or tourists to Jersey City, raking in millions by stealing cars one after another and holding them ransom for a huge fees. They drive their trucks wildly back and forth between their lot and their prey zones in an attempt to maximize profits at the expense of others. They provide no benefit to the people of Jersey City and if BJs, Shoprite and Bed Bath and Beyond REALLY cared about making sure people didn't park in their lot, there are a thousand more ethical ways to enforce their rules.

Any attempt to hold these scumbags accountable for their evil actions and to promote knowledge about the problem is welcome and beneficial. YOU may be tired of hearing about it, but this is a great thing for someone new to the board or Jersey City to read about. People are going to keep talking about it and making a fuss until they change their ways.

Lastly, this is not a violation of privacy or harassment by any stretch of the imagination. There is absolutely no assumption of privacy when towing a vehicle from a public space. If you don't want your photo showing up online, don't steal cars.

Posted on: 2008/8/25 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
I think it's about time we close this thread. We all know we should not park in that lot and go to the mall or we will be towed. Whether they tow you in one minute or one hour is beside the point. End of story. I can't imagine there is anything left to be discussed here.

Posted on: 2008/8/25 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I saw this all taking place and the tow truck driver in your window.

I almost pulled over to see if you needed assistance - I figured you were associated with the Toyota.

Is it not odd the cops acted the way they did?

Black cooper, right?

Posted on: 2008/8/25 16:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
I can't believe you people are still complaining about the towing, here it goes one more time, STOP PARKING THERE IF YOU DO NOT INTEND TO SHOP THER YOU WILL BE TOWED, did we get it . As far as whether or not they are towing cars illegally I haven't heard of any court cases that pepole have sued the tow company for taking thier car ilegally so I guess what they are doing isn't illegal. As for the BJs shopping carts its the BJs lot why wouldn't there be BJs shopping carts in the picture.

Posted on: 2008/8/25 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
I find it interesting that no one has commented on the fact that there are several BJ's carts in two of these photos. Where do they all COME from??

Posted on: 2008/8/25 12:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Falcon wrote:
Within 1 minute of pulling into the lot I took the first photo then the second immediately after. Then the party started... the tow driver came to my car (third photo) and threatend me with physical harm because I took his photo. I told him to call the police he says he has already been to prison.

I don't get it. Are you saying these cars were being towed illegally? Did you see if the drivers left the lot? If the problem is that the signs are too small, or don't exist, then that is something that should be taken up with the city or the owner of the parking lot. I don't see how following the tow truck driver is going to help any.

Posted on: 2008/8/25 12:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
So it sounds like the cops are getting their little skim off the top.
Welcome to Jersey City business as usual.

(Try calling the cops with a REAL crime and you could wait til Hell freezes over.)

Posted on: 2008/8/25 12:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Permission my ass - They are in a public place. Imagine all the tourists taking photos and asking everyone in the background 'may I' - Give me a break, click away in any public place unless it is signed not to do so because of the locations sensitivity - Even then I would rethink it and maybe not do it to be respectful.

Posted on: 2008/8/25 11:43

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/4 18:16
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Falcon wrote: Within 1 minute of pulling into the lot I took the first photo then the second immediately after. Then the party started...
But, you asked their permission before you took their pictures, right? Better brush up on rights before you go sticking your finger in the beast's eye. And a brief word of advice from a neighbor to the north: -Loser

Posted on: 2008/8/24 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Falcon wrote:
Within 1 minute of pulling into the lot I took the first photo then the second immediately after. Then the party started... the tow driver came to my car (third photo) and threatend me with physical harm because I took his photo. I told him to call the police he says he has already been to prison.

So I follow him out of the lot and thats when the fun really started. A police car immediately pulled onto Warren (I just now realize that he must have called them) then 2 more patrol cars arrive. The 6 police officers then proceeded to accuse me, ask for my license, and told me that I was harrasing the tow driver. They wanted to know why I was following and taking photos of the tow driver. I responded by saying that I am concerned that the car will be damaged because it is being towed on one wheel. They doubted me so I showed them photo 2 and then they treatened to arrest me.
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

Nice pics, better than mine. The guy looks like an asshole. He and his buddy threatened me when I took pics of the tow driver driving the wrong way down 2nd and speeding through the BJs lot.

Anyone up for a day at BJs warning soon-to-be-towed parkers? :)

Posted on: 2008/8/24 13:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Falcon wrote:

So I follow him out of the lot and thats when the fun really started. A police car immediately pulled onto Warren (I just now realize that he must have called them) then 2 more patrol cars arrive. The 6 police officers then proceeded to accuse me, ask for my license, and told me that I was harrasing the tow driver. They wanted to know why I was following and taking photos of the tow driver. I responded by saying that I am concerned that the car will be damaged because it is being towed on one wheel. They doubted me so I showed them photo 2 and then they treatened to arrest me.
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

Dude, you are my hero! So much fun!

Posted on: 2008/8/24 6:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Is the dumb-ass tow truck driver wearing some sort of bogus police badge ?

And damn, those cops sure did come in a hurry - It's a pitty the response time for other crimes (considering your's wasn't) isn't as fast !
I like how some 'civil' issues the cops are happy to attend too and others they use the excuse - 'that's a civil issue' tone !

Posted on: 2008/8/24 5:26

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 11 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017