Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Buying home in Neptune Ave at Ocean Avenue in Jersey City
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/22 0:52
Group:
Registered Users
I live two blocks from that intersection (only been here a few months, though). It is indeed walkable to the light-rail; maybe an 8-10 minute walk. And, yes, it's South of the part of Greenville where most of the bad stuff seems to happen.

But, do your research. Walk around the area at all times of day and night, different days of the week, etc, to get a feel for it. I get a little weirded out by Ocean Ave sometimes (and I'm always in a car). I seem to recall an article about someone being shot on the corner of Ocean and Pearsall a few months ago, and something else about a couple of guys who lived on Neptune near Garfield getting arrested for driving around with a sawed-off shotgun.

That said, I haven't personally had a problem in the area, or seen anything bad myself.

But if you're willing to live there, why not Bayonne? You can go just one or two more light-rail stops down, and you're in fairly nice parts of Bayonne. I'm sure real-estate prices are a little higher, but probably not ridiculously so.

Posted on: 2008/9/3 14:59

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/9 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dgkrishy wrote:
I'm planning to buy a multifamily home in the Neptune Ave / Ocean Ave intersection area and I believe it is south of the so-called high-crime areas in Greenville and a few blocks from the Danforth Ave light rail station. I'm planning to live in one apartment and rent the other. I'm newly married and will be living there with my wife. I'm problem-free and mind my own job. Do you think i can make a safe and decent living in the area? Thanks in advance.

I think you both are very brave or...! Good luck!

Posted on: 2008/9/3 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Neptune... Ocean... Whoa. Blew through the intersection without ever pondering the connection. This three block area was probably crawling with hookers and drunken sailors in the 18th century.

Now this I never would have noticed:

http://garfield-danforth.com/

Did you ever notice?

Thursday, July 10, 2008 at 09:20AM

Resized Image

I have walked (or even ran) right through the entrance to the Danforth stop on the Light Rail many times. But after almost 2 years, I just noticed the petrified luggage that decorates the platform to the street. Upon further inspection I found a plaque that sheds a little light on what the luggage is doing there; it reads:

Immigrant Remnants Found
Remains Appear Petrified, Luggage Among Items Unearthed

During excavations for the construction of stations along the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Transit System, workers this morning came across what appear to be the petrified remains of luggage and other items buried under many feet of earth. Digging was immediately suspended at two sites after it was noticed that some of the exposed rock looked like old pieces of luggage. As a gathering crows looked on bewildered workers carefully pulled familiar shapes from the ground. By noon a trunk, a violin case, a hat box, a suitcase and some parcels had been counted among the unearthed items.

Construction managers at the two affected stations, the Richard Street station and the Danforth Avenue station, declined to officially comment on the bizarre findings. however, witnesses to the events of this morning seem convinced that the delicately articulated rocks were not really rocks at all, but petrified luggage.

Dr. Chip Travertine, Associate Professor

Posted on: 2008/8/25 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Burglar takes jewels while teen plays videos

Monday, August 25, 2008

While a 15-year-old played video games, a burglar made off with $10,000 worth of jewelry from a private home in Jersey City, according to police reports.

A 51-year-old Neptune Avenue woman told police that her home was burglarized between 6:30 and 11 p.m. Friday.

The woman guessed that the burglar swiped the jewelry from her bedroom dresser while her son played video games on the first floor with his headphones on, reports said. The young gamer had left the front door open, the woman told police.

CHARLES HACK

Posted on: 2008/8/25 13:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Neptune Ave. is a very cool name for a street. There are 3 or 4 businesses on the Blvd. that use it, bakery, Chinese take out, etc. Anybody know how it got the name? It's very nautical, especially where it intersects with Ocean Ave. neither of which is very near the ocean. Was it named after the planet? or Poseiden aka Neptune aka Ariel's father in The Little Mermaid aka God of the Sea? I'm thinkin there must have been some old seafarin captain living around there that had something to do with naming the street. Arrrgh.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/8/25 12:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
You should also check out

http://redandtan.com

Their buses run along Kennedy Boulevard which is a fairly short walk for you. The 99s goes to Port Authority and the 10 goes to Journal Square.

You are also near the Neptune Bakery, right on the corner of Neptune and the Boulevard, which has awesome custard tarts which I was fortunate enough to be treated to recently.

Posted on: 2008/8/25 10:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
if you make it dog friendly i'd be interested in renting your other apartment.......i'm looking to move closer to my other job in liberty state park

Posted on: 2008/8/25 8:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/14 17:27
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/8/25 1:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/22 17:18
Group:
Registered Users
Congratulations dgkrishy. Looks like you will be collecting $1600 in rent instead of $2200. Not bad!

Posted on: 2008/8/24 23:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
That's my old neighborhood, I was born and raised on Old Bergen Rd btw Neptune/Seaview. Never had a problem.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dgkrishy wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Are there buses at the Neptune Ave / Ocean Ave or Neptune Ave / Garfield Ave that connect to Journal Sq / Newport / Port Authority?

Try this:

NJ Transit Itinerary Planner

Posted on: 2008/8/24 23:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NewHeights wrote:
are you comparing a 3 block radius to the heights? The heights is a huge area with different neighborhoods within the heights.

comparing greenville to the heights, there is none, greenville is way worse.

I guess that joke was a little too tongue in cheek for you.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 23:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
settle down greenville. What are you talking about I support GW Bush? For the record i'm an independent. I think bush is a clown.

As a whole greenville is a $hithole. yes parts of greenville are nice. The Heights also has alot of $hitty areas but its a better neighborhood than greenville. The western slope and areas close to hoboken are hot areas to rent and buy.

Many who cannot afford hoboken are renting in the heights for its proximinty to hoboken.

If i'm wrong why are the same 2 family new constructions going for $450k in greenville when they are selling for over $600k in the heights? All real esate is 30% in the heights.

The same goes for rentals in the heights vs greenville. A $2200 apartment in the heights rents for $1600 in Greenville.

Why is that?

Posted on: 2008/8/24 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NewHeights wrote:
are you comparing a 3 block radius to the heights? The heights is a huge area with different neighborhoods within the heights.

Have you ever been to Greenville? Some parts of the heights are ten times worse than Greenville. Where I live I have not had problems and it's safer than where I used to live in the heights. You make stupid generalizations without knowing the full facts, and you also are a supported of George W. Bush the wost president in American history!

Posted on: 2008/8/24 17:12
ಠ_ಠ

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/22 18:27
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the replies. Are there buses at the Neptune Ave / Ocean Ave or Neptune Ave / Garfield Ave that connect to Journal Sq / Newport / Port Authority?

Posted on: 2008/8/24 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/8/24 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
I live near Princeton and Lembeck. Never had any problems in the year and a half I've lived here. From what I read on this website it's much safer than the heights. As far as making a living, you have the train, you can work anywhere.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 12:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
I used to work with a guy that lived on Neptune Ave. He was married and had a young child. I never heard of him having any problems there.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 11:19

Buying home in Neptune Ave at Ocean Avenue in Jersey City

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/22 18:27
Group:
Registered Users
I'm planning to buy a multifamily home in the Neptune Ave / Ocean Ave intersection area and I believe it is south of the so-called high-crime areas in Greenville and a few blocks from the Danforth Ave light rail station. I'm planning to live in one apartment and rent the other. I'm newly married and will be living there with my wife. I'm problem-free and mind my own job. Do you think i can make a safe and decent living in the area? Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 8:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017