Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: how is there only ONE post office in downtown JC?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
Well I'm not complaining about the lack of mailboxes (Except that it sucks that they just took away the one at Newark and Coles)... but to ship a package or to pick one up is a major hassle since there's essentially no parking at the main branch. If you just need to mail a letter, leave it in your mailbox and the carrier will take it just like in the olden days.

Mark.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 0:08
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 16:47
Group:
Registered Users
I really don't see what all the complaining is about, there is not 1 mailbox in my neck of the woods, I have to get on the bus to Grove Street to use the mail box outside of the PATH.... On the plus side, at least they ring my doorbell when delivering a package. For that I say thank you mr. postman. They even wait for me to answer the door...

I have given up on the stealth UPS man...he just doesn't deliver....

Posted on: 2008/8/22 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
i love the heights post office. it's conveniently located right next to the parking authority. the line is usually a minimum of 15-20 minutes to get to the window, so within that time frame the meter runs out (they are also 20 minute meters outside of the vicinity) and you end up coming outside to a wonderful ticket just because you need to mail or pick up something.

to save this trouble, i honestly drive out to the post office in secaucus on county ave. they have a parking lot and you're in and out. it's a bit of a hassle to get there driving behind slow tractor trailers and definitely out of the way, but it saves the parking woes and the treatment from the staff is just a tad bit nicer.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 21:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
I've just stopped using the post office at all because of it... The Montgomery post office should at least have more parking... They could set up angled 20-minute meters along Washington and stop parking their trucks all down York. Then at least it might be reduced to merely a major annoyance rather than completely unthinkable to go over there to ship anything. Luckily I have the same carrier at home and the store so they just bring any packages right to the store.

Mark.

All glory to Brian the mail carrier!

Posted on: 2008/8/22 17:47
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
How weird. I was just thinking about this because the other day I had something to mail and I had to wait until I had a block of time in which to get over there. It's too far to walk unless you have lots of time, and there's no parking. So my sister drove me and circled the block. I went in and of course there were about 15 people in line and two windows open. It took about 15 minutes to reach the head of the line, partly because the people who work there move pretty slowly. I don't mean that they're older. They just move slowly. Finally I got a call from my sister wondering, I guess, if I'd been kidnapped.

What a pain! It would be nice to have another post office or two.

As for using the building for other purposes-- I prefer it as a public building. Its architectural integrity has been somewhat compromised by "improvements" that were apparently done in the 60s. But it's still a nice building, and everyone should get to see it-- not just condo residents or restaurant patrons.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

umestazzuele wrote:
i know that there's one in journal square, one on central ave, and one at five corners, but i'm talking about DOWNTOWN. it's RIDICULOUS that there's only one post office serving an area as large as downtown JC.

How do you think I feel there is only one in the Heights section as well. Granted it is open on Saturdays and it is centralized. But everyone in J.C. is in the same boat. At least for the people on the north west end of the Heights there is a post office on 6th & Kennedy in North Bergen. I guess we should contact out U.S. Congressmen

Posted on: 2008/8/22 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
The other day I was walking past the intersection of 9th & Manila. A car pulled over to ask the postal worker for directions to Newport mall. The postal worker told the guy to go all the way down Manila and make a left onto Columbus!? Obviously no clue. All the person had to do was make a left onto 6th and the mall is a block down.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
At least you have ONE post office!

Posted on: 2008/8/22 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Its completely understandable that there is only one post office downtown. What is atrocious is the lack of post boxes throughout the area (and they keep taking more away), and the poor customer service at the current location.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 15:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 11:36
Group:
Registered Users
i know that there's one in journal square, one on central ave, and one at five corners, but i'm talking about DOWNTOWN. it's RIDICULOUS that there's only one post office serving an area as large as downtown JC.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
if they were smart, they'd sell that beautiful building to a developer who could put condos in a high rise on top of it and restaurants, bars or retail on the bottom, then split up the services to several smaller locations in the downtown area.

The building is wasted on them now. Beautiful, historic and unique, but totally inefficient and a waste of space.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 4:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Well, there's one on 645 Newark Avenue in Five Corners, another at 899 Bergen Avenue in Journal Square, and another at 392 Central Avenue near the Parking Authority.

Only the one on Central Avenue is open on Saturdays in addition to the one on Montgomery Street, and I will agree that the Montgomery Street location sucks. Understaffed, long lines and sometimes a less than competent staff. Never been to any of the other locations.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 3:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
I have heard there is a mobile mail truck somewhere around Newport on weekdays between 9am and 3pm.

I agree the Montgomery St. office is very inconvenient. I usually go to the one at 23rd & Lex since it's close to my office. They should put a post office in the mall like the one at the Palisades Center in NY.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 2:36

how is there only ONE post office in downtown JC?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 11:36
Group:
Registered Users
the montgomery st. post office is on the complete opposite side of town from where i live, plus every time i walk in there there's at least a dozen people waiting in line and maybe two counters open. this is ridiculous. hoboken is half the size of downtown JC and they have three post offices. how is that we only have one?

Posted on: 2008/8/22 2:15

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017