Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Speeding Ticket And Going To Court
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
if you plan to fight the ticket, ask the police department for

1) copies of the back of the ticket. cops usually write some notes as they issue a lot of tickets and cannot remember every detail on each stop. if there is an anomaly on the events, then you can bring it out before the judge. scrutinize every detail on the ticket. if there is a typo anywhere, the ticket will be negated.

2) ask for calibration tests of the radar device used to clock you, and the police officer's certification on use of that device. if they are outdated, you win the case.

this is your right as a citizen. send the requests as registered mail and include stamped, self-addressed envelope(s). there will usually be a fee for making these copies.

they will postpone the case once, but if the officer does not show up twice, then it's dismissed.

Posted on: 2009/6/1 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
Quote:

jlee8 wrote:
There is a 50/50 chance that the cop will not show up when subpoenaed (unless he trolls this site). You are innocent until proven guilty. If there is no witness to testify and prove you guilty, the city has no case.

But if the cop doesn't show up, don't they usually postpone the case and keep bringing you back until he does show up? The cop is not going to drive up here from the shore on his own time. They only go to court when on duty on their shift, on city time.

They should only postpone it once, anytime after that infringes on your right to a speedy trial. Call the Municipal court and enter your plea of not guilty at least a week before the court date. They will then change your court date. If the officer shows up, you're screwed. If he doesn't, and the prosecutor wants to delay the trial until the cop gets there, just tell the judge that the officer had every opportunity to attend and chose not to. You have the right to a speedy trial and you would like to exercise said right. The judge will most likely dismiss the summons.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 4:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/30 23:29
Group:
Registered Users
NJ is one of the few states that you can take a fine and not take the points. You can almost always do this. And usually its a much better deal then taking the points. I dont think its always $400. but its usually around there. All you need to do is show up early and speak to the prosecutor.

http://www.speedingticketcentral.com/ ... rsey-speeding-ticket.html

Posted on: 2009/5/31 4:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jlee8 wrote:
There is a 50/50 chance that the cop will not show up when subpoenaed (unless he trolls this site). You are innocent until proven guilty. If there is no witness to testify and prove you guilty, the city has no case.

But if the cop doesn't show up, don't they usually postpone the case and keep bringing you back until he does show up? The cop is not going to drive up here from the shore on his own time. They only go to court when on duty on their shift, on city time.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 3:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/14 20:37
Group:
Registered Users
The $400 and no points is you pleading guilty to "Unsafe Driving." It has very minor consequences, but nonetheless consequences.

Your best bet is "Lack of Prosecution." There is a 50/50 chance that the cop will not show up when subpoenaed (unless he trolls this site). You are innocent until proven guilty. If there is no witness to testify and prove you guilty, the city has no case.

The prosecutor will try to scare you into paying the $400. Don't fall for it. Do your homework.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
my friend got a ticket (not in jc but in nj) a couple of weeks ago.. also goin 20 over the limit, and also paid $400 and change and no points at court.

Quote:

The far right pedal is go and the big pedal is to slow down or stop. The signs on the road tell you what the maximum speed you can legally travel and STOP signs mean you have to come to a complete stop.

i was in miami beach this weekend and they had mini escalades for rent that you could drive on the street... they basically looked like larger versions of power wheels. i got close to one that was parked on the street, and they actually labeled the pedals "stop" and "go"

Posted on: 2009/5/30 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The far right pedal is go and the big pedal is to slow down or stop. The signs on the road tell you what the maximum speed you can legally travel and STOP signs mean you have to come to a complete stop.

Going down hill and kids screaming in the back would suggest one should pull over and deal with the commotion first, so it doesn't affect your concentration when driving - like using your cell.

Its not rocket science and you are commuting the most valuable asset you have - your kids!

Posted on: 2009/5/30 22:21
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 13:31
Group:
Banned
Quote:

07310 wrote:
I got a ticket for going through a stop sign, I had stopped but I guess it wasn't long enough for a JCPD staked out at the corner. The ticket was $85 and 2 points, I thought the fine was a bit high. I went to JC traffic court where the the prosecutor offered to reduce the charges and no points if I gave them $400.00. I told my sister who is a lawyer about this and she was shocked they would offer this, which smells of extortion. I took the 2 points and paid the $85.00. The prosecutor offered this same deal to everyone who came to court.
I'm they will ask for alot more from you.

Is this still the case? That is, will they take $400 and offer no points?

Posted on: 2009/5/30 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
"Look, cut me a break, I'm drunk," -- Man clocked doing 106 mph

===================

Cops: Drunk man clocked doing 106 mph

Friday, August 22, 2008
By JONATHAN SHAPIRO
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A highly inebriated Bayonne man was arrested Wednesday after driving 106 miles per hour on Avenue C, police said.

Bruce D'Angelo, 57, was clocked at almost three times the speed limit, police said, adding he was also swerving from lane to lane without signaling.

When the cops finally pulled the car over, they noticed a strong odor of alcohol coming from the car, reports said.

When asked to step outside, D'Angelo fell out of the vehicle onto his knees, and said, "Look, cut me a break, I'm drunk," according to the police.

Summary execution.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

croft wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
I got a ticket for going through a stop sign, I had stopped but I guess it wasn't long enough for a JCPD staked out at the corner. The ticket was $85 and 2 points, I thought the fine was a bit high. I went to JC traffic court where the the prosecutor offered to reduce the charges and no points if I gave them $400.00. I told my sister who is a lawyer about this and she was shocked they would offer this, which smells of extortion. I took the 2 points and paid the $85.00. The prosecutor offered this same deal to everyone who came to court.

did you get this on the corner of beacon at collard?

It was the corner of River Drive South & Newport Parkway, another one of the areas where the JCPD like to set up their traps.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
"Look, cut me a break, I'm drunk," -- Man clocked doing 106 mph

===================

Cops: Drunk man clocked doing 106 mph

Friday, August 22, 2008
By JONATHAN SHAPIRO
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A highly inebriated Bayonne man was arrested Wednesday after driving 106 miles per hour on Avenue C, police said.

Bruce D'Angelo, 57, was clocked at almost three times the speed limit, police said, adding he was also swerving from lane to lane without signaling.

When the cops finally pulled the car over, they noticed a strong odor of alcohol coming from the car, reports said.

When asked to step outside, D'Angelo fell out of the vehicle onto his knees, and said, "Look, cut me a break, I'm drunk," according to the police.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trp3 wrote:
"Hi all,

So it finally happened - my first NJ speeding ticket... The first one, in fact, in 10 years, so I'm understandably upset and willing to go to court to ask for some leniency. So how does that work? Anyone "guilty" got any breaks from the judge?

The fact:
I was going 45 on a 25 - ticket is 200 bucks and god knows how many points on my insurance

Mitigating factors:
I was going down the hill on Montgomery and really, honestly didn't realize I was going that fast;
My kids were screaming on the back seat.
Like I said, this is a first in about 10 years - no parking tickets, non-moving violations, nada before.

Do I stand a chance? What should I do/say?"

ErieSt:

the law is the law, and the longer you continue to NOT break them, doesn't make them any less enforced. pay the piper......just like everyone else.

I don't think You'll get any sympathy from the judge, I've seen people plead guilty and it only took them about 2 minutes after the 2-3 hours wait for the prosecutor and judge. The judge accepted their plea and that was it. Pleading guilty to a 4 point ticket is a stupid idea since it will cost you A LOT more than paying $400 + court fees since your insurance will shoot the roof. Sure some insurance companies don't care about a simple 2 point violation, but for 4 points there's no way in hell they wont increase your insurance by a ridiculous rate. The prosecutor, who in my experience is a little liar, will offer you the plea for $400 and two points on your license. Take it, and later take the course for save driving and get those two points knocked off.

This site offers the course but i do not know if its legit or not. http://www.safemotorist.com/NewJersey/Defensive_Driving.aspx

Posted on: 2008/8/22 12:30
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
"Hi all,

So it finally happened - my first NJ speeding ticket... The first one, in fact, in 10 years, so I'm understandably upset and willing to go to court to ask for some leniency. So how does that work? Anyone "guilty" got any breaks from the judge?

The fact:
I was going 45 on a 25 - ticket is 200 bucks and god knows how many points on my insurance

Mitigating factors:
I was going down the hill on Montgomery and really, honestly didn't realize I was going that fast;
Like I said, this is a first in about 10 years - no parking tickets, non-moving violations, nada before.

Do I stand a chance? What should I do/say?"

ErieSt:

the law is the law, and the longer you continue to NOT break them, doesn't make them any less enforced. pay the piper......just like everyone else.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 11:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ansky wrote:

I would call the insurance company first and try to find out what effect, if any, this violation will have on your rates.

I wouldn't do that.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 4:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wideman wrote:
See the prosecutor and pay the shake down. It will be cheaper than 3 years paying surcharges to the insurance company.

I would call the insurance company first and try to find out what effect, if any, this violation will have on your rates.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 2:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/22 17:18
Group:
Registered Users
See the prosecutor and pay the shake down. It will be cheaper than 3 years paying surcharges to the insurance company.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:

did you get this on the corner of beacon at collard?

Posted on: 2008/8/21 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

designknob wrote:

It will. It sometimes takes more than a year. But your rates WILL definitely go up!

Nope. My last ticket was back in 2004. Since then my rates have gone DOWN.
Like I said, Geico was aware of the offense, but since the issuing jurisdiction did not "pass judgement" (whatever that means), they did not raise my premiums.

Posted on: 2008/8/21 18:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/13 3:14
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I got the exact same ticket as you, in the exact same place. I plead not-guilty and went to court. Be prepared to wait. If you hire an attorney, your case will be settled first. After those cases are settled, the people without attorneys are next. I was there for about 2 or 3 hours since I didn't have an attorney. Oh, and if you plan on fighting the ticket to have it completely removed, you'll have to come back for the trial. The initial court appearance is just for those who wish to accept a plea. They'll knock it down to 2 or 3 points and about $150 or so. All in all I'd say it's worth going, but it's definitely torture.

Posted on: 2008/8/21 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Insurance may or may not go up. Depends on your driving record and insurance company. Some companies forgive the first offense on your record. So check with your insurance company. With an otherwise clean drivng record, it may not affect your rate at all.

Posted on: 2008/8/21 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ansky wrote:
Points do not automatically affect your insurance. It depends on the insurance company and the jurisdiction issuing the ticket. Several years ago I got caught going 80 in a 55 zone. My insurance company was aware of it but it did not affect my rates.

A friend of mine routinely drives over 100mph on various NJ highways and has been caught several times, but his insurance has never gone up.

It will. It sometimes takes more than a year. But your rates WILL definitely go up!

Posted on: 2008/8/21 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/8/21 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Points do not automatically affect your insurance. It depends on the insurance company and the jurisdiction issuing the ticket. Several years ago I got caught going 80 in a 55 zone. My insurance company was aware of it but it did not affect my rates.

A friend of mine routinely drives over 100mph on various NJ highways and has been caught several times, but his insurance has never gone up.

Posted on: 2008/8/21 16:24

Speeding Ticket And Going To Court
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/14 4:00
From Erie Street
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all,

The fact:

Mitigating factors:

Do I stand a chance? What should I do/say?

Thoughts appreciated...

Posted on: 2008/8/21 15:38

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017