Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
161 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: New York Times: Jersey City apartments in his price range seemed too far from the PATH stations.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
There is nothing wrong with much of the GRAND CONCOURSE. It was once the Park Avenue of the Bronx and has some STUNNING apartment buildings with all the prewar trappings. Transportation is cheap and easy. I often go to the Botannical Gardens, first stop subwway to Grand COncourse, and the neighborhood is as safe as Jersey City Heights or Journal Square OR Newark Avenue.

Be careful about comparing apples and oranges as another poster said. That huge apartment makes it possible to deduct $1600 in rentals from his monthly nut, something not possible with a smaller place...although having 2 tenant/roomates is not my cup of tea.

Imagine the joy of NEVER needing to EVER take a PATH train and then a switch to a bus or subway again. The thought makes me WET.

I enjoyed the article GROVE PATH.

Posted on: 2008/8/25 13:30

Re: New York Times: Jersey City apartments in his price range seemed too far from the PATH stations.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
You are reading way too much into my post. I was simply questioning the wisdom of buying a place way up in the Bronx for someone who works in the financial district and paying more than one could rent for in downtown JC, especially given that he mentioned space didn't matter to him. Not to put too fine a point on it but judging from his picture he will also really stand out where he's moving, perhaps to his detriment. Regardless, I was not being sarcastic, if living there makes sense for him that's great.

It just seemed like an odd choice to me and I have no interest in touting renting in downtown JC (if anything, I have an interest in talking down doing so) and can do without your amateur psychoanalysis. It's a real estate discussion forum so of course people are going to comment on other people's choices; this may result in learning from the discussion. Perhaps taking the subway up to one's place in the Bronx at all hours is safer than the PATH to Exchange/Grove; that is something that I wouldn't have even considered without this discussion.

Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:
One actually gets an income tax reduction for rent in NJ but if paying $2.5K/month to live in the Bronx makes this guy happy, good luck to him.

What on earth are you talking about??? Renters in NJ do get a very modest rebate from the state Homestead Rebate (much smaller than the one homeowners get), but there is no such thing as an "income tax reduction for rent in NJ" - certainly NOT on federal income tax.

Btw, why do you read such a personal affront into the guy's decision to buy somewhere other than JC (at least that's the vibe I'm getting from your post)? It's not as if his choice is a personal indictment on YOUR decision to be a renter in JC.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 3:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
I lived on 165th and Gerard about 3 years ago for 2 years... for those of you who dont know its about 2 blocks from Yankee stadium... I was probabllly the only white person who resided there in the immediate area.... never encountered a problem ..... only heard gun shots a couple times lol.. but all in all the neighborhood wasn't too bad I have seen more in JC then I did in the 2 years i lived there... although I had my car window smashed one night that was my own stupidity for parking under the train....

Posted on: 2008/8/20 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
The guy in the article had a good point about the new Yankee Stadium opening up next year. That whole neighborhood is likely going to be transformed over the next few years. If I remember correctly, the original plans called for new hotels, shops, and restaurants. This guy likely made a great deal.

Posted on: 2008/8/20 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
What I find fascinating whenever GrovePath posts one of these real-estate pieces from the Sunday NY Times is the criticism that's sure to follow of the buyer's choice of neighborhood or the price paid, etc. Maybe psychologists can shed light on this, but it seems to me as though people love to criticize these choices as a means to rationalize their own housing decisions. That suggests to me a certain level of insecurity about the the choice one has made in what arguably is life's biggest financial decision. In the end, finding fault with other people's real-estate choices is pointless, because each buyer has a different set of financial and personal circumstances. What's right for one person may be completely wrong for another. Or maybe all the criticism is plain and simple envy - that someone got a fantastic deal or can afford a more expensive place....

This may also be the reason people like to criticize neighborhoods in JC they don't live in, Newport and the new hi rise condos gets more than its share of bashing from people who prefer low rise structures. Everyone has their preference and lifestyle, glad to see we are not all the same.

Posted on: 2008/8/20 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
What I find fascinating whenever GrovePath posts one of these real-estate pieces from the Sunday NY Times is the criticism that's sure to follow of the buyer's choice of neighborhood or the price paid, etc.....

Maybe but keep in mind that the vast majority of posted New York Times Real Estate Section articles (like "The Hunt") have had the buyers buying in Jersey City or nearby in NJ. So If you see a pattern of negative posts following then take that into account...

Posted on: 2008/8/20 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
What I find fascinating whenever GrovePath posts one of these real-estate pieces from the Sunday NY Times is the criticism that's sure to follow of the buyer's choice of neighborhood or the price paid, etc. Maybe psychologists can shed light on this, but it seems to me as though people love to criticize these choices as a means to rationalize their own housing decisions. That suggests to me a certain level of insecurity about the the choice one has made in what arguably is life's biggest financial decision. In the end, finding fault with other people's real-estate choices is pointless, because each buyer has a different set of financial and personal circumstances. What's right for one person may be completely wrong for another. Or maybe all the criticism is plain and simple envy - that someone got a fantastic deal or can afford a more expensive place....

Posted on: 2008/8/20 12:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
One actually gets an income tax reduction for rent in NJ but if paying $2.5K/month to live in the Bronx makes this guy happy, good luck to him.

What on earth are you talking about??? Renters in NJ do get a very modest rebate from the state Homestead Rebate (much smaller than the one homeowners get), but there is no such thing as an "income tax reduction for rent in NJ" - certainly NOT on federal income tax.

Btw, why do you read such a personal affront into the guy's decision to buy somewhere other than JC (at least that's the vibe I'm getting from your post)? It's not as if his choice is a personal indictment on YOUR decision to be a renter in JC.

Posted on: 2008/8/20 11:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/22 0:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jeebus wrote:
...Living in the Bronx he will have a much longer, less pleasant, and potentially crime ridden commute and neighborhood. ...

Umm. What exactly does that mean? What do you think happens on trains that go to the Bronx, or walking a couple blocks somewhere other than Manhattan (or downtown JC)? Please explain your perceptions/assumptions.

Posted on: 2008/8/20 4:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
My appologize I didnt see the financial district part. I figured it could have been anywhere in Manhatten. I still back the rest of my argument regardless.

Posted on: 2008/8/20 3:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
A much longer commute? Are you kidding me? Maybe if the guy has to go way downtown. Have you ever taken the ride from the south Bronx to Manhatten? Its really not bad , alittle longer than from JC but still not bad. You act like the guys gonna be coming from far Roackaway. You have to remember not everyone thinks Downtown JC is as great as someone like yourself...

To quote: "He felt priced out of most of Manhattan, though it was important to be within easy reach of a subway to the financial district, where his office is."

Posted on: 2008/8/20 2:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
A much longer commute? Are you kidding me? Maybe if the guy has to go way downtown. Have you ever taken the ride from the south Bronx to Manhatten? Its really not bad , alittle longer than from JC but still not bad. You act like the guys gonna be coming from far Roackaway. You have to remember not everyone thinks Downtown JC is as great as someone like yourself. There are other options out there and its good to see people discovering them. Also whats with this crime free commuite stuff? Whats that supposed to mean?

Posted on: 2008/8/20 2:31

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/16 6:09
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Jeebus wrote:
The guy mentioned that he didn't know what he would do with all the space so obviously it wasn't such an issue for him. If he lived in downtown JC he would have a crime free 15 minute commute. Living in the Bronx he will have a much longer, less pleasant, and potentially crime ridden commute and neighborhood. Cheap square footage is not everything.

Also, the $265K comes with an additional $1K/month maintenance. That translates to about another $100K on a mortgage. One can buy a house in JSQ or a small 2 bedroom downtown for $365K - both close to the PATH.

Where can I get a 2BR downtown close to the PATH and "crime free" for $365K? One that doesn't have property taxes on top, and has heat/most other utilities included (as most NYC co-ops do)?

SIGN ME UP!

Posted on: 2008/8/20 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The guy mentioned that he didn't know what he would do with all the space so obviously it wasn't such an issue for him. If he lived in downtown JC he would have a crime free 15 minute commute. Living in the Bronx he will have a much longer, less pleasant, and potentially crime ridden commute and neighborhood. Cheap square footage is not everything.

Also, the $265K comes with an additional $1K/month maintenance. That translates to about another $100K on a mortgage. One can buy a house in JSQ or a small 2 bedroom downtown for $365K - both close to the PATH.

Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:
So he\'s paying $1K maintenance and about $1.5K mortgage to live in the Bronx. $2.5K gets you a pretty nice rental apartment in downtown JC (after absolutely no work to find something better, which can be had) with a much shorter commute to Wall Street and a safer environment. I question whether paying so much more to own in NYC makes any sense.

He paid $265K for 3 bedrooms, 1500 square feet. You can\'t find that anywhere in JC near the PATH - not even five or six years ago! And no way does a $2,500/month rental in downtown JC get you anywhere near that amount of space. Once you factor in the income tax deduction for mortgage interest and property tax (which you don\'t get with a rental), it\'s probably closer to $2,000/month. Hey, if he\'s cool with the neighborhood and the commute - I say good for him!

Posted on: 2008/8/20 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
No doubt I agree with you Lynne, That area along with alot of other areas of the Bronx is pretty rough. But in a day in age where we have nerdy hipsters moving to bed-stuy and harlem what makes them any different from the south Bronx? Im not saying that hipsters and yupps should move there and begin the glorious gentrification process(im rolling my eyes) but I just never understood why this area is never looked at as a possibility rather than brooklyn , JC, Harlem etc etc . Personally id love to see it cleaned up and continue to be the last affordable option in NYC. (excluding staten island, sorry )

Posted on: 2008/8/18 22:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Lynne, why would it be a rough go? ... I think that whole fear of NYC attitude is being shed pretty quickly by most. And that is contributing to NYC's rapid gentrification (ugggh)

Yeah, people are indeed shedding that stupid attitude. I lived in Bushwick 7 years ago (Greenville now), and saved tons of money in rent. Plenty of people do, and many of them retire early.

Posted on: 2008/8/18 21:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LynnePatrice wrote:
Quote:
?people can sit around the countertop as you?re cooking, almost like a cooking show.?

Is it me or does anyone else think this guy may have a tough go of it in the Bronx???

Yes, it's you. He'll probably have a fine time, and make a killing on the property if he holds it for a 5-10yrs.

Posted on: 2008/8/18 21:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Lynne, why would it be a rough go? Downtown JC used to be known as tough area., now look at it for God sakes. You got people getting all bent outta shape over turds in a park and how tough life is without a whole foods. Im not saying that area of the Bronx is gonna get all fancy anytime soon (hopefully never) but look at all the people moving into rough areas of Brooklyn. I think that whole fear of NYC attitude is being shed pretty quickly by most. And that is contributing to NYC's rapid gentrification (ugggh)

I agree with this, but that area of the Bronx is pretty tough. We looked over there before we bought in JC so I'm just sayin, this guy looks like he might have a tough time there. Not that it isn't a wise investment.

Posted on: 2008/8/18 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
stfu about govepath posting the article, i think it's an interesting read and belongs in real estate section.

I havent been to the games for a year or so now, but from what i remember that area near the stadium isnt good at all, comparable to the greenville in jc, or maybe even worse. I hope it works out for the guy, he seems got his stuff together.

Posted on: 2008/8/18 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Lynne, why would it be a rough go? Downtown JC used to be known as tough area., now look at it for God sakes. You got people getting all bent outta shape over turds in a park and how tough life is without a whole foods. Im not saying that area of the Bronx is gonna get all fancy anytime soon (hopefully never) but look at all the people moving into rough areas of Brooklyn. I think that whole fear of NYC attitude is being shed pretty quickly by most. And that is contributing to NYC's rapid gentrification (ugggh)

Posted on: 2008/8/18 18:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
?people can sit around the countertop as you?re cooking, almost like a cooking show.?

Is it me or does anyone else think this guy may have a tough go of it in the Bronx???

Posted on: 2008/8/18 18:16

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
How many names do you post under troll? And why?

Was that directed at me or the poster I quoted? I just think it's funny that an article that has nearly nothing to do with Jersey City is presented as if it does.

That's a tight tinfoil hat you got there.

Posted on: 2008/8/18 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
So he's paying $1K maintenance and about $1.5K mortgage to live in the Bronx. $2.5K gets you a pretty nice rental apartment in downtown JC (after absolutely no work to find something better, which can be had) with a much shorter commute to Wall Street and a safer environment. I question whether paying so much more to own in NYC makes any sense.

He paid $265K for 3 bedrooms, 1500 square feet. You can't find that anywhere in JC near the PATH - not even five or six years ago! And no way does a $2,500/month rental in downtown JC get you anywhere near that amount of space. Once you factor in the income tax deduction for mortgage interest and property tax (which you don't get with a rental), it's probably closer to $2,000/month. Hey, if he's cool with the neighborhood and the commute - I say good for him!

Posted on: 2008/8/18 12:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
How many names do you post under troll? And why?

Posted on: 2008/8/18 11:35

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

cigarcat wrote:
Really grovepath, this is your criteria for posting articles about JC? Anything that mentions our lovely town in passing as an afterthought? What are you going to be posting next, obituaries?

This article really only mentions Jersey City in one sentence? LOL.

Posted on: 2008/8/18 4:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/4 22:40
Group:
Banned
Really grovepath, this is your criteria for posting articles about JC? Anything that mentions our lovely town in passing as an afterthought? What are you going to be posting next, obituaries?

Posted on: 2008/8/18 3:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So he's paying $1K maintenance and about $1.5K mortgage to live in the Bronx. $2.5K gets you a pretty nice rental apartment in downtown JC (after absolutely no work to find something better, which can be had) with a much shorter commute to Wall Street and a safer environment. I question whether paying so much more to own in NYC makes any sense.

Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:
Only $960 in maintenance? That's why I didn't buy in New York.

That's a co-op, so the $960 maintenance includes the property tax. You're comparing apples to oranges. If I add my JC condo's monthly property tax and maintenance together, it works out to something fairly close, probably around $800-850. If anything, property taxes for NYC co-ops tend to be much lower than comparabe condo units in Jersey. The upshot is the lion's share of my monthly property tax + maintenance outlay goes to an inept and corrupt city/county government - no amenities like a doorman or on-site super. Also, most co-op buildings in NYC have the heat and hot water included in the maintenance as well.

In any event it is nice to see that some 20-somethings out there are open minded enough to consider different areas rather than the typical must-be-in-Manhattan-at-any-cost attitude you typically see. Sounds like the guy got a really good deal.

Posted on: 2008/8/18 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Only $960 in maintenance? That's why I didn't buy in New York.

That's a co-op, so the $960 maintenance includes the property tax. You're comparing apples to oranges. If I add my JC condo's monthly property tax and maintenance together, it works out to something fairly close, probably around $800-850. If anything, property taxes for NYC co-ops tend to be much lower than comparabe condo units in Jersey. The upshot is the lion's share of my monthly property tax + maintenance outlay goes to an inept and corrupt city/county government - no amenities like a doorman or on-site super. Also, most co-op buildings in NYC have the heat and hot water included in the maintenance as well.

In any event it is nice to see that some 20-somethings out there are open minded enough to consider different areas rather than the typical must-be-in-Manhattan-at-any-cost attitude you typically see. Sounds like the guy got a really good deal.

Posted on: 2008/8/17 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Its about time the Bronx got the credit it deserves. It seems that when people are priced out of living in Manhatten they automatically think Brooklyn or Queens. Alot of the Bronx around Yankee stadium and lower is just about as convenient to Manhatten as any other boro. Sure it has its problems but people are moving to bed-stuy and bushwick arnt they. Acctually the more I think about it, I hope the Bronx dosnt get discoverd, lets leave it the last affordable area in NYC.

Posted on: 2008/8/17 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
A ten minute walk to the Path from Hamilton Park - too far? Sissy Boy!!

Posted on: 2008/8/17 15:53

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017