Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 11 »

Re: An Open Letter to You, My PATH Nemesis

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/16 20:23
From Newport
Group:
Registered Users
On a quiet path car a few weekends ago my friends and I were heading into 9th st. I was leaning on the doors between stations (yes moving to let people in and out because I also hate when people block the doors at stations). As the train slowed down mid tunnel I was pushed back on to one leg and since I was also leaning on the door, the door came with me, yes the door opened quite a significant amount.

This was the first and also the last time that I will lean on the doors!

Posted on: 2008/8/19 13:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/20 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
jeezus, Justin. just ask them to take off their damn backpacks if they're bugging you so much. bitching about it on a bulletin board isn't going to give you any more room on the PATH.

it's not about being embarrassed or not. it's about them not knowing because nobody's speaking up.

I do wish I could agree with you. I would love to live in that world where people are polite to each other.. I have asked. I do ask. And, I will continue to ask. Unfortunately, I?ve been riding the path a very, very long time. No matter how polite I am (And, I am very polite)?It has, it does, and it will inevitably lead to nastiness and/or a fight.

Posted on: 2008/8/18 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

amalgam789 wrote:
This incident occured when the doors to the 33rd st train first opens in Jrnl Sq(starting point) & there are a lot of people waiting to get in. This Mr Idiot, steps in & stands right there, which in effect, leaves just 1 door area for passengers to get in. And he has to the nerve to argue that hes not doing anything wrong.

Want to clarify this here - "Stand by the door" and "Stand in front of the doors(inside the train)" is perfectly fine when the train is moving and there is nobody getting on/off the train but then when the doors open, if you give way for the passengers to get on/off, no issues !

Also, note, you are not supposed to lean on the door !

We are in accord!

Basically, people should use common sense: come into the train and move out of the way for those behind you. If you choose to stand in the small area to the right/left of the door do not impede other passengers moving through the train.

BTW, I never stand anyplace but in the small area adjacent to the seats, not blocking the door, as I don't want my crutches tripping someone.

Posted on: 2008/8/17 20:23
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/3 20:12
Group:
Registered Users
This incident occured when the doors to the 33rd st train first opens in Jrnl Sq(starting point) & there are a lot of people waiting to get in. This Mr Idiot, steps in & stands right there, which in effect, leaves just 1 door area for passengers to get in. And he has to the nerve to argue that hes not doing anything wrong.

Want to clarify this here - "Stand by the door" and "Stand in front of the doors(inside the train)" is perfectly fine when the train is moving and there is nobody getting on/off the train but then when the doors open, if you give way for the passengers to get on/off, no issues !

Also, note, you are not supposed to lean on the door !

Posted on: 2008/8/17 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:

I stand by the doors all the time. I dont see a problem with that, its something to lean on. When the doors open I move to let the people in/out. How does that make me a snob or an asshole?

Standing "by the doors" is not the same as standing "in front of the door & block it", as amalgam789
spoke about:

Quote:
amalgam789
wrote: [...]who stand in front of the door & block it when the train doors open/close at stations where there is enough space inside the train....

Since I am on crutches I too "stand by the doors" but never "in front of the door". This is just rude behavior, as rude as the person standing on the left side of any elevator when most urban dwellers know to stand to the right side so others in a hurry might pass on the left, just as on a roadway.

I would never call you a snob though.

Posted on: 2008/8/17 4:21
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
I stand by the doors all the time. I dont see a problem with that, its something to lean on. When the doors open I move to let the people in/out. How does that make me a snob or an asshole?

Posted on: 2008/8/17 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

amalgam789 wrote:
[...]

Another incident I would like to mention - Snobs, who stand in front of the door & block it when the train doors open/close at stations where there is enough space inside the train....[...]

We call those guys a$$holes where I come from.

Posted on: 2008/8/16 19:55
Resized Image

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/3 20:12
Group:
Registered Users
I think comparing NYC Subway and PATH is like comparing apples & oranges as someone said earlier.. Subways are far ahead in all respects !

The issue with backpacks is something tough to explain - Indians normally dont believe in having lunch outside & so carry their lunch box;thier backpacks are also filled with laptops, books and some unwanted stuff(but they are too lazy to clean it off) !! Have seen & asked several of them !

I have been travelling on the PATH & subway for several years now.. and here is what I mailed to PATHCustomerService@panynj.gov
=================
I would like to point out a few things where PATH services can be improved -
1 Air condition does not work in most of the cars. Why cant the air condition be turned up ? Everybody in the car use newpapers to fan.

2 When the train arrives at Journal Sq on the way to 33rd St, it takes a while for the conductor to open the doors. The conductor keeps chatting with the driver then opens the door at leisure. When it is freezing cold outside, I think the conductor should be positioned well in advance to open the doors to the general public instead of torturing them.

3 Speaker system either does not work or the conductor is not loud enough. Travellers always complain about not hearing anything, especially when there is a problem and the conductor has made an announcement.
==================
And here is the response -

Thank you for your feedback. To respond to your comments, first, the air conditioning system in each car is checked on a regular basis. If there is a specific car without air conditioning, please do not hesitate to contact PATH by contacting the train crew or picking a passenger information phone located at stations to report the problem.

Train crews receive annual training on the proper operation of trains which includes when to open and close doors. If you have a specific incident you would like to report, once again, please notify PATH as soon as possible after it occurs. General statements such as the one you made are difficult to investigate especially since we believe that our train crews are doing their jobs as best as possible.

Finally, the speaker systems on our cars are checked regularly and the Conductors do make announcements. If you wish to report a specific incident, please notify PATH as soon as possible after it occurs..

Thank you for your input and please do not hesitate to contact PATH with any issue or comment that you may have.

Sincerely,
PATH Customer Service
=========================
It is natural for these folks to say that their people are doing a good job. If they have a poll, I doubt if even 5% of commuters will agree that their service is any better. And how convincingly, they defend their own folks !!

Recently, I saw a gentleman(well dressed) riding in between cars from Harrison & Jrnl Sq. I made it a point to ask him what the problem was when he got off at Jrnl Sq to board the 33rd st train, & he said that the temperature outside is much better than the furnace in the inside of the cars !! And when I asked him why he didnt complain, he said hes done it enough number of times but does not see any changes !

Another incident I would like to mention - Snobs, who stand in front of the door & block it when the train doors open/close at stations where there is enough space inside the train.... One fine mrng, when the 33rd st train door opened, a guy(call him Mr Idiot), who was in front of me, walked into the train & stood right there at the door & there were people behind me waiting to enter. I said 3 simple, gentle words - "Pls excuse me". He turns around & also says 3 simple words - "Walk around me". I was stunned but did as he asked me to... As I was walking around he gave me a stare as tho I am strangling him to death & his eyes are popping out.... And then we had a heated arguement... After all this, he has the nerve to tell me - "Next time walk around me, dont ask me to move" ! Yeah right, next time I will kick him in the back, make sure he falls flat on his face and then walk over him. Only then he will realize what it means to block the door, that too when the train door just opens with many people waiting to get in on the 33rd St at Jrnl Sq. Wht would he say if there is another Idiot like him is blocking the other door ? I guess he would say - "Use the other doors" or maybe "Walk between my legs" !!

Why dont people use their brains ? I am sure He has put in some meat inside the skull of humans. Why not use it and try not to inconvinience people. PATH is public transport & so lets respect each other & make our journey pleasant.

Posted on: 2008/8/16 19:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCase wrote:
Quote:
grovester wrote:
I have no idea if it's true or not, but someone told me years ago that in the Japanese subways they had signs that read, in substance, "Don't be a rude American, take off your backpack in the train."

Resized Image

He doesn't look like an American to me. Perhaps a campaign like this by the PATH would yield some results. (They should leave out all those Japanese curse words though). I remember they put signs at WTC escalators years ago telling people to ride on the right. That was successful in changing behavior. Many people are not intentionally inconsiderate. They are just too self-involved to know better.

I don't know, if I bang into someone or hit into someone or rub against someone I am aware of it. Some of the backpackers never even flinch when they hit you with their backpack. They don't give a sh*t obviously.

Posted on: 2008/8/15 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

parkman wrote:
So why isn?t our system as easy to use theirs? If you have been to England you would understand the differences our languages and dissimilarities of usage.

I spent quite a few years living there. Maybe that's why it doesn't seem very different, to me

Posted on: 2008/8/15 13:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
but that's best saved for the thread called "Une Lettre Publique ? Vous, Ma N?m?sis dans le M?tro" on parislist.com, where a search under "merde" will yield at least 20 threads - one for each arrondissement).

I would translate PATH as RER

Posted on: 2008/8/15 12:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
The London Underground is even more crowded than the PATH or subway - it's the claustrophobe's worst nightmare. On the oldest lines, the height of the cars are so low that people taller than, say, 5'8" have to stoop to get in the doors. I agree the stations are far cleaner and they circulate the foot traffic in the stations better, but I don't think the trains themselves are any more pleasant to ride. Paris, on the other hand, is a much better system overall - except when the occasional dog poops in a car and the owner pretends not to notice (yes, I've seen that happen, but that's best saved for the thread called "Une Lettre Publique ? Vous, Ma N?m?sis dans le M?tro" on parislist.com, where a search under "merde" will yield at least 20 threads - one for each arrondissement).

Posted on: 2008/8/15 12:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sinik wrote:
Quote:

parkman wrote:
I don?t know if this has been mentioned after 215 posts, but when we went to Europe for the first time two years ago, I was impressed with the logic of how their systems were set up.

Both the England underground and the French metro has an ease of finding the correct route to your destination, patterns of pedestrian movement, and reliability of schedule?this without you having to know the language (trust me, English is not our language).

I can?t believe that the people who are responsible for our transit systems have not visited their European counterparts and not come away with a way to make our system much more fluid and civilized.

Not only have they visited, but Bob Kiley who was responsible for
Subway systems in Boston and NY was hired by the mayor of London to be the city's transport commissioner from 2001 to 2006 during which time he made big changes over there!

Now what were you saying about English not being your language?... Non comprendo
So why isn?t our system as easy to use theirs? If you have been to England you would understand the differences our languages and dissimilarities of usage.

Posted on: 2008/8/15 2:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

parkman wrote:
I don?t know if this has been mentioned after 215 posts, but when we went to Europe for the first time two years ago, I was impressed with the logic of how their systems were set up.

Both the England underground and the French metro has an ease of finding the correct route to your destination, patterns of pedestrian movement, and reliability of schedule?this without you having to know the language (trust me, English is not our language).

I can?t believe that the people who are responsible for our transit systems have not visited their European counterparts and not come away with a way to make our system much more fluid and civilized.

Not only have they visited, but Bob Kiley who was responsible for
Subway systems in Boston and NY was hired by the mayor of London to be the city's transport commissioner from 2001 to 2006 during which time he made big changes over there!

Now what were you saying about English not being your language?... Non comprendo

Posted on: 2008/8/15 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/8/15 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
True, but the DC Metro system is far more complex than the Path system and they are able to run their trains effectively with only one employee on each train. I'm not saying it would be an overnight transformation on the Path system, but it would certainly be possible if planned right

The DC Metro system was built in the 1970s. The PATH and NYC subways are a century old. It's probably much easier building a modern system from scratch than trying to retrofit an ancient system. I suspect the cost would be insurmountable - and the process impractical (how many stations/lines would be shut down and for how long to upgrade the sytem to something like DC's?).

Posted on: 2008/8/14 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

I haven't been there, but isn't the comparison to the NYC subway pretty much apples-to-oranges? The DC trains and platforms were probably designed from the ground up to work that way.

True, but the DC Metro system is far more complex than the Path system and they are able to run their trains effectively with only one employee on each train. I'm not saying it would be an overnight transformation on the Path system, but it would certainly be possible if planned right.

Posted on: 2008/8/14 22:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ansky wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
[There are most certainly conductors aboard MTA subway trains! The difference is that they're stationed in enclosed cabins. An automated system wouldn't work at all.

And on the Metro in D.C. the doors are opened and closed by the driver of the train. Seems more efficient that way. I don't see why they need to pay another employee just to open and close the doors.

I haven't been there, but isn't the comparison to the NYC subway pretty much apples-to-oranges? The DC trains and platforms were probably designed from the ground up to work that way.

The job is a lot more important than "just opening and closing doors," considering the age, condition, size, volume, and often chaotic nature of the NYC system. I want each train to have at least two pairs of eyes!

Posted on: 2008/8/14 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I totally agree, Ansky. The train stops, then the driver peers out a window, and opens/closes the doors. Then, drives away. Port Authority always cries poverty, but they could be saving about $5 Million per year if they did not pay their fleet of conductors.

Posted on: 2008/8/14 20:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Ease your nerves my friend you'll live longer, im not talking 30 mins of trying to mac it . A few extra seconds is not gonna kill anyone.

Posted on: 2008/8/14 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Yea I say good for the conductor. Everybody is in such a damn rush all the time, slow down and let the guy work his magic .

Yeah, great. Let everyone be late for their jobs and get fired because this guy was flirting. At least open the doors first to let people out, then work that magic.

Posted on: 2008/8/14 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
[There are most certainly conductors aboard MTA subway trains! The difference is that they're stationed in enclosed cabins. An automated system wouldn't work at all.

And on the Metro in D.C. the doors are opened and closed by the driver of the train. Seems more efficient that way. I don't see why they need to pay another employee just to open and close the doors.

Posted on: 2008/8/14 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Yea I say good for the conductor. Everybody is in such a damn rush all the time, slow down and let the guy work his magic .

Posted on: 2008/8/14 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kindelan wrote:
Quote:

ansky wrote:
Here's a new one...

Yesterday morning I was riding the train during rush hour. I was in the second car from the front near where the conductor stands. The entire time from Newport to Christopher St. the conductor was flirting with one of the female passengers. We pulled into Christopher St. and as you know that means the conductor has to move into the front car in order to open the doors on the other side of the train. As the train was stopped in the station the conductor continued to flirt with this lady for almost another minute while passengers started staring and wondering why the doors weren't opening. Unreal.

I think that is a beautiful thing that shows humanity. In Italy (or was it Brazil?) the bus driver actually got out of the bus to go try to kick it to a woman who was on his bus who he had talked to a bit. The passengers applauded.

That is cool. Be human. Love is in the air. Don't hate just because you ain't getting any.

You must not live a very busy life. I agree with you that it shows humanity, but some of us have places to go, and the PATH is slow enough with the prehistoric signals in the tunnels.

Posted on: 2008/8/14 19:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/11 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ansky wrote:
Here's a new one...

Yesterday morning I was riding the train during rush hour. I was in the second car from the front near where the conductor stands. The entire time from Newport to Christopher St. the conductor was flirting with one of the female passengers. We pulled into Christopher St. and as you know that means the conductor has to move into the front car in order to open the doors on the other side of the train. As the train was stopped in the station the conductor continued to flirt with this lady for almost another minute while passengers started staring and wondering why the doors weren't opening. Unreal.

I think that is a beautiful thing that shows humanity. In Italy (or was it Brazil?) the bus driver actually got out of the bus to go try to kick it to a woman who was on his bus who he had talked to a bit. The passengers applauded.

That is cool. Be human. Love is in the air. Don't hate just because you ain't getting any.

Posted on: 2008/8/14 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
grovester wrote:
I have no idea if it's true or not, but someone told me years ago that in the Japanese subways they had signs that read, in substance, "Don't be a rude American, take off your backpack in the train."

Resized Image

He doesn't look like an American to me. Perhaps a campaign like this by the PATH would yield some results. (They should leave out all those Japanese curse words though). I remember they put signs at WTC escalators years ago telling people to ride on the right. That was successful in changing behavior. Many people are not intentionally inconsiderate. They are just too self-involved to know better.

Posted on: 2008/8/14 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I have also seen that same conductor do that, at least a few times...always flirting with some woman and delaying the train. It is REDICULOUS that the one and only thing they have to do (open and close the damn doors) is DELAYED because of flirtation.

Those guys are so overpaid that it's rediculous. Furthermore, why do we even need that job? This is 2008, why can't it be automatic? NYC Subway is automatic, is it not? "Stand clear of the closing door please". Our tax dollars at work.

Didn't they strike a few years back, or threaten to? Why strike? You should be thanking God that you have the easiest job in the galaxy (open door...close door).

There are most certainly conductors aboard MTA subway trains! The difference is that they're stationed in enclosed cabins. An automated system wouldn't work at all.

Posted on: 2008/8/14 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have also seen that same conductor do that, at least a few times...always flirting with some woman and delaying the train. It is REDICULOUS that the one and only thing they have to do (open and close the damn doors) is DELAYED because of flirtation.

Those guys are so overpaid that it's rediculous. Furthermore, why do we even need that job? This is 2008, why can't it be automatic? NYC Subway is automatic, is it not? "Stand clear of the closing door please". Our tax dollars at work.

Didn't they strike a few years back, or threaten to? Why strike? You should be thanking God that you have the easiest job in the galaxy (open door...close door).

Posted on: 2008/8/14 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
Ansky,

I know exactly what conductor you are talking about. I have seen him do this a few times. In his defense, he is a PATH conductor, so he has to get the ladies while he has them as a captive audience. Can you imagine trying to use that as a pickup line in a bar?

"You know those guys who open the doors on the Path? Thats me"

*Woman slowly backs away*

Posted on: 2008/8/14 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Here's a new one...

Posted on: 2008/8/14 18:21

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 11 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017