Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Is being ignorant a requirement to work for the JC Parking Authority?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
I think the title of the thread along with hostility to city employees is misguided - "Is being ignorant a requirement to work for the JC Parking Authority?"

our city employees have a rotating collection of politically appointed directors who have fundraising responsibilities along with a sock puppet board for authorities. most good performing organizations and businesses start at the top.

there is an amazing amount of adversity between our electetd officials and the public with our city staff caught in the middle.

fix our government - our city employees will likely be able to do a better job. works in the real world.

I've worked for government on various levels and I disagree Dan. Government employees who are inept, ignorant, and ineffective, among other things are that way because of who they are. It is not because of their "rotating politically appointed directors". They have no sense of civic duty and lack any professionalism. They are there just to collect a check and that is it. And a lot of those employees have been there for their entire career and will not change. And then there are those employees who like to exert the authority that they don't have. There is never a reason to be be rude, condescending, or insulting, but these employees feel that is there prerogative and duty to act this way. How utterly disgraceful!

Now don't get me wrong. There are plenty of govt employees that are kind, courteous, and respectful. These employees have a great sense of civic duty. They understand that they are the face of government, no matter what position they serve. And they do right by their agency, by the public, and by the city. They understand that they are here to help the public. I commend these employees and wish that there were a lot more type of these employees working for govt.

Maybe we should fix our govt employees and and our leadership. People who just fill a seat will never change because of a new supervisor - it has something to do with not being able to be fired easily. Maybe if there were some repercussions for these ignorant employees, maybe then they would change. Maybe there should be a civic group that grades each agency in the city - maybe that will help them change.

That's my two cents - or whatever it comes out to be after the city takes its cut.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 0:11
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/5 13:19
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
I think the title of the thread along with hostility to city employees is misguided - "Is being ignorant a requirement to work for the JC Parking Authority?"

our city employees have a rotating collection of politically appointed directors who have fundraising responsibilities along with a sock puppet board for authorities. most good performing organizations and businesses start at the top.

there is an amazing amount of adversity between our electetd officials and the public with our city staff caught in the middle.

fix our government - our city employees will likely be able to do a better job. works in the real world.

I guess you are right...there are ignorant people in every occupation. I just don't think an intelligent person would say the things that the woman who I spoke to about my boot came up with. However, I shouldn't stereotype the entire JCPA. My bad!

Posted on: 2008/7/29 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Whatever happened to Fulop's Boot Law? That a JC resident cannot be booted? It didn't pass?

I argued my case until I was blue in the face, and I got reimbursed for both the ticket ($42) and boot fee ($110). The hilarity of it was that when I came out of the JCPA after speaking with them, there was a ticket on my car for street cleaning...on Wednesday! I live Downtown, and thought that there was no street cleaning on Wednesday. I was irate, but at least I got out of the initial $152 fee.

Did you pay the bogus street cleaning fee ?

I paid it...it was legit. On Central Ave, there is Wednesday street cleaning. Being from Downtown, where Wednesday is "free day", I assumed that I was OK...I didn't look at the sign.

Posted on: 2008/7/29 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Whatever happened to Fulop's Boot Law? That a JC resident cannot be booted? It didn't pass?

I argued my case until I was blue in the face, and I got reimbursed for both the ticket ($42) and boot fee ($110). The hilarity of it was that when I came out of the JCPA after speaking with them, there was a ticket on my car for street cleaning...on Wednesday! I live Downtown, and thought that there was no street cleaning on Wednesday. I was irate, but at least I got out of the initial $152 fee.

Did you pay the bogus street cleaning fee ?

Posted on: 2008/7/29 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/7/29 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/10 16:39
From Donny City
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, it's just a friendly little game of One-upmanship with their fellow cash cow employees on the other side of the Hudson...

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/7/29 2:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/7/29 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
tess1 hit the nail on the head about the absurdity of the system.

If anyone wishes to know about the city contractor that is at least partly (certainly not entirely) to blame for this nonsense, it is a company called Paylock based in Somerville. Their website is www.paylock.com.

Of course, I don't know for sure, but I don't doubt that they receive a substantial cut of that $110 every time someone calls them to get the boot removed.

I have no idea how they were able to get this contract with Jersey City, and the state Election Law Enforcement Commission website doesn't show them as a campaign donor anywhere in New Jersey (at any level) but I also don't know who they are owned by and where they
make their campaign donations in New Jersey, or if they just have friends at the Parking Authority.

It's no surprise that a lot of city contractors were not necessarily the best contractors for the jobs they do or that kickbacks still happen today. I'm not accusing this company or its owner(s) of doing anything associated with political corruption, but this seems to be the ideal situation for that to happen.

Just my 2 cents, and how I feel about the fact that a private company having a stake in as many cars as possible being booted in JC is not a good thing.

Posted on: 2008/7/29 1:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/29 4:33
Group:
Registered Users
As I posted on another thread, according to a parking supervisor I spoke with, the parking authority is going by license numbers input into a computer, and noting the time. So, they don't have to watch to see if you parked for two hours, the computer tells them you were parked at 9 a.m. in the zone, and then after 4. Not that it's right, or bright, but this is what he said is the current system:

IF you park in a zone at, say, 12 pm., but only stay there for 10 minutes, your allowable time in that space is till 2 p.m. PERIOD. If the parking guy has put your license number in the COMPUTER at, say 12:00, at 2pm THAT IS IT FOR THE DAY. NO good moving out of the zone at 12:15, then moving back in at 3 p.m. to the original zone for another 2 hours or even another 2 minutes!!

Once the clock starts on your 2 hours (at 12 p.m. in my example), that is it for the DAY. Your time in that zone is USED UP at 2 pm, even if you haven't actually been parked there for two hours....

Posted on: 2008/7/29 0:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/7/28 15:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/4 20:10
Group:
Registered Users
The city council (not this city council) voted to spin the parking authority off from the police dept several years ago. It is yet another political patronage machine here in jc. A few years ago, when an older gentlemen from the heights, who runs a civic organization which bares his name, was on the board there, I heard he would give out jobs to people only if they "joined" his organization and agreed to make "contributions" to his organization.

But hey, Mayor Healy says that Jersey City is a "world-class" city....so this kind of stuff doesn't happen in a world class city. It must all be in our heads.

Posted on: 2008/7/28 12:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/11 12:35
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The JCPA is a criminal organization. If City council can't stop it, then that means that it is outside our system of democratic government and is essentially a mob. Moreover, despite the huge revenue stream that these illegal boots as well as legitimate parking tickets provide, and the fact that their only financial responsibility is to maintain a dozen or so beat up jitneys and pay some workers, they are always hundreds of thousands of dollars in the hole. Why? The money is stolen. They are robbing the city and its inhabitants blind. They are extortioners.

Posted on: 2008/7/28 5:13
"Contemplate this upon the Tree of Woe."

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:

You may also want to get a zone permit for the days you do park on the streets...hopefully this can avoid any future drama.

Pink, I need to disagree with you here on principle. Why give the city more money? It may avoid a hassle, if you will, but the city does not deserve any more money just to rectify a mistake they will probably make again.

When I lived on 9th street (we had the gated lot on 10th) I also had a zone 6 permit just in case I had to park in the street. My suggestion was in no way to rectify the current situation, just a suggestion for the future.

Posted on: 2008/7/28 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:

You may also want to get a zone permit for the days you do park on the streets...hopefully this can avoid any future drama.

Pink, I need to disagree with you here on principle. Why give the city more money? It may avoid a hassle, if you will, but the city does not deserve any more money just to rectify a mistake they will probably make again.

Posted on: 2008/7/27 22:27
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NolieOlie wrote:

Do you know if I would be able to get my money back for the boot? Would I be able to take care of that in court to?
Thanks again for your advice

I can't remember who it was, but didn't someone here post a copy of a check they got from the JCPA for ticket and boot reimbursement after they went to court?

NolieOlie, I woud bring all your receipts and ask the judge to have the JCPA give you your money back. It doesn't hurt to try. Of course if that fails, I bet a letter from a lawyer will sure get you your money back quickly. Agencies would rather settle rather than go to court.

Posted on: 2008/7/27 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NolieOlie wrote:
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

NolieOlie wrote:
This booting situation is getting out of hand. I walk to my car this morning and find that I have a boot. I read the violation and it says that they they first spotted me at 9 28 am on Manila and that I was booted at 4 21 pm on Eerie. In all truth..I parked my car at 9 25 to run up to my boyfriends apartment for 10 minutes, got back in my car and went to my sisters house ALL day and came back at 4 15 to go to my boyfriends apartment. So I call the parking authority and the woman tells me that I was parked all day and kept moving my car all day. I asked her if she followed me around all day...she said she knows what I was up to. I hung up, called back, and asked to speak to someone with a brain. She hung up on me haaaa! But seriously, how is that legal? How can they prove that And make false accusations?

What zone sticker do you have on the vehicle that was booted?

I don't have a zone permit because I have private parking at my house. It is just the fact that I was absolutely NO WAY parked in that zone for 2 hours! I know better than that because I was already booted for parking over 2 hours. That was my mistake. But, the fact that this woman who works for the JCPA tells me that she knows what I did all day....That is absurd and basically implied that I was lying. I can't see how I should be responsible for paying these fines when I was parked in the zone for 5 minutes in the morning, and 45 minutes in the afternoon. Does this make sense??? Or I am crazy? I have proof from the computerized system that my car was parked until 4:15 in my private parking garage. This might sound confusing Im just sooooo angry!

I'm a big believer in "customer service" and when this customer (me) is not being serviced......(it's not a pretty sight and heads will roll.) I spent 20+ years in retail mgt, training and loss prevention, I'm a customer services dept's biggest nightmare : ). I would've gone ballistic if someone ever said that to me.

When speaking with a unhappy customer and/or constituent they must realize that sometimes our company and/or enforcement officers can make a mistake, and handling any complaint with the assumption that a person is trying to get over (pull a fast one) is not acceptable. She (the person answering your call) should have either researched your complaint and got back to you or sent you to the appropriate department.

My suggestion:
Take a deep breath and call the JCPA on Monday, ask for the Directors office and speak with Director Russ or Terri Perry. (201-653-6969) Let them know what happened and also what one of their employees did. Hopefully you have the name of the employee or the date and approx time you called to help them narrow it down.

Good luck and I hope it can get resolved.

Posted on: 2008/7/27 19:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

NolieOlie wrote:
This booting situation is getting out of hand. I walk to my car this morning and find that I have a boot. I read the violation and it says that they they first spotted me at 9 28 am on Manila and that I was booted at 4 21 pm on Eerie. In all truth..I parked my car at 9 25 to run up to my boyfriends apartment for 10 minutes, got back in my car and went to my sisters house ALL day and came back at 4 15 to go to my boyfriends apartment. So I call the parking authority and the woman tells me that I was parked all day and kept moving my car all day. I asked her if she followed me around all day...she said she knows what I was up to. I hung up, called back, and asked to speak to someone with a brain. She hung up on me haaaa! But seriously, how is that legal? How can they prove that And make false accusations?

I don't have a zone permit because I have private parking at my house. It is just the fact that I was absolutely NO WAY parked in that zone for 2 hours! I know better than that because I was already booted for parking over 2 hours. That was my mistake. But, the fact that this woman who works for the JCPA tells me that she knows what I did all day....That is absurd and basically implied that I was lying. I can't see how I should be responsible for paying these fines when I was parked in the zone for 5 minutes in the morning, and 45 minutes in the afternoon. Does this make sense??? Or I am crazy? I have proof from the computerized system that my car was parked until 4:15 in my private parking garage. This might sound confusing Im just sooooo angry!

Posted on: 2008/7/27 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NolieOlie wrote:

Posted on: 2008/7/27 19:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

The JCPA has been doing this for quite some time and they just don't care. Apparently everyone is trying to scam the city and the JCPA is never wrong. Ever.

Part of the problem is that the street signs say you can't park within the ZONE for more than 2 hours. So as far as the signs go, they are technically correct. However, unless they do follow a car around all day they will not know whether or not you have been moving from parking spot to parking spot. I do not know what the law actually states, so maybe the signs are really wrong.

I would fight the ticket using just this argument. Just remember, the burden of proof is on you. It will mean taking time off for the day, but if you do fight it, bring witnesses, notarized statements, and anything else that can prove your whereabouts for the given day.

Frankly, in the last several months, the JCPA has really begun to spiral out of control. I've heard of papal infallibility but never JCPA infallibility. In my opinion, I think the JCPA needs intervention and new oversight - and by oversight, maybe it is time the State Attorney General looked into their operation, audited them, and maybe even take over the operation until all issues are resolved. With the number of complaints that the JCPA generates, maybe it is time for the city to establish a Civilian Complaint Review Board. Maybe that would generate enough oversight and scrutiny to direct the JCPA to act in a professional manner that serves the people of this fine city in their best interest.

With the JCPA, the poor city services, the poor street conditions, the rumble strips where we don't need them, the horrible schools, and all that money we pay in taxes to get all of the above, these are all enough to start driving people out of Jersey City.

Do you know if I would be able to get my money back for the boot? Would I be able to take care of that in court to?
Thanks again for your advice

Posted on: 2008/7/27 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
my dad went on JClist, and all I got was this crummy t-shirt

Posted on: 2008/7/25 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Quote:

bdlaw wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

CANKICKER wrote:

Its a requirment to work for any govn't job!

As a govt employee, i resent that.

As a tax-payer, I resent your being on JClist at 1:10 PM.

It's called vacation bdlaw. I don't jclist at work. I don't have time for that.

Was a joke.

Hence the smiley.

Sheesh.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NolieOlie wrote:
Thanks for the good advice! When I go drop off the boot tomorrow, I am going to ask for speific proof that I was "parked" for over 2 hrs in the same zone. I am also goin to contact the attorney general..and going to court with witnesses and notarized letters. I won't stop....they messed with the wrong woman!!

Supeanor all you can to court from the top to the little guy. Most there are uneducated, they don't even know their own codes & locations. I bet if you took up a collection for court costs and attorney fees all would contribute. Let me know where to send the check. I can't wait to see the quick answers when the Park. Auth. is on the stand. They will sound like Ralph Kramden on a game show "huma na huma na" ???? Good luck !

Posted on: 2008/7/25 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

CANKICKER wrote:

As a tax-payer, I resent your being on JClist at 1:10 PM.

It's called vacation bdlaw. I don't jclist at work. I don't have time for that.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 17:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the good advice! When I go drop off the boot tomorrow, I am going to ask for speific proof that I was "parked" for over 2 hrs in the same zone. I am also goin to contact the attorney general..and going to court with witnesses and notarized letters. I won't stop....they messed with the wrong woman!!

Posted on: 2008/7/25 17:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/19 21:19
Group:
Registered Users
welcome to the 3rd World ...

I can't image anyone buying property - let alone spending a half mill for some 500-sq-ft 1 bedroom - in this sh*thole of a city.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CANKICKER wrote:

Posted on: 2008/7/25 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scooter wrote:
Not much can beat the warm fuzzy JCPA feelings you get when you have to personally go to muni court to clear a parking ticket gotten by the guys who stole your car - 5 days after you reported it stolen... (so it slips through their fingers, and then you can't even clear it up by phone or mail - way to respect the crime victim/citizen, JC...)

ok that's the last time I harp on that.

Don't forget the nice feeling you get when you're in court and the prosecutor offers to forgive your $85 traffic ticket if you give them $400 dollars. This happened to me last Tuesday.
I told this to my sister who is a lawyer in Princeton, she was shocked.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
Not much can beat the warm fuzzy JCPA feelings you get when you have to personally go to muni court to clear a parking ticket gotten by the guys who stole your car - 5 days after you reported it stolen... (so it slips through their fingers, and then you can't even clear it up by phone or mail - way to respect the crime victim/citizen, JC...)

ok that's the last time I harp on that.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 16:37
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

In my opinion, I think the JCPA needs intervention and new oversight - and by oversight, maybe it is time the State Attorney General looked into their operation, audited them, and maybe even take over the operation until all issues are resolved.

Every agency in this city needs a serious overhaul from the top down. Luckily we have the opportunity to replace the city's leadership in less than a year. Register to vote.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CANKICKER wrote:
Quote:

NolieOlie wrote:

Also listless

Posted on: 2008/7/25 16:08

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017