Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: 9th & Marin crosswalk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/24 1:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gueren wrote:
On March 25th I asked the city to install a traffic signal at Marin Blvd and 9th St. I did that through this form: http://mycusthelp.com/JERSEYCITYNJ/_cs/RequestSelect.aspx

On April 9th I received this response:
"In reply to your request. A work order has been issued to conduct a traffic engineering survey at Marin Blvd. & 9th St. This survey consists of a 25 hour vehicle count, accident analysis, collision diagram and condition diagram. If the data collected at this intersection falls within the parameters mandated by the Department of Transportation for the installation of a traffic signal or an addition traffic control device the it will then be forwarded to them for their review and recommendation.
The Department of Transportation does not permit speed bumps on a public right away. However, an Investigator from this Division will inspect the intersection to insure that all traffic, parking and pavement signs are in place."

On June 9th I received this update:
"The traffic engineering survey has been completed for Marin Blvd & 9th St. The traffic engineering data collected indicates a traffic signal may be warranted. Therefore, the data has been forwarded to the Department of Transportation along with an "Authorization to Design". I will advise you of the DOT's recommendation."

I do not have any more news about this.

I have just sent an e-mail to Steven Fulop (Jersey City's councilman for this area of the city), and sent him a link to this forum thread asking him if there is any way he can help us.

I got this update today:
"The Department of Transportation has authorized the installation of a traffic signal at the intersection of Marin Blvd & 9th St. The traffic signal has been funded in the FY2009 package and it is anticipated construction will commence in Spring 2009".

Posted on: 2008/9/5 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
if only it were that easy. one email...... given the positive reponse, sounds like something that your council person could follow up on.

here is a question - could / should Marin be reduced from four lanes to two lanes?

Quote:

gueren wrote:
On March 25th I asked the city to install a traffic signal at Marin Blvd and 9th St. I did that through this form: http://mycusthelp.com/JERSEYCITYNJ/_cs/RequestSelect.aspx

"In reply to your request. A work order has been issued to conduct a traffic engineering survey at Marin Blvd. & 9th St. This survey consists of a 25 hour vehicle count, accident analysis, collision diagram and condition diagram. If the data collected at this intersection falls within the parameters mandated by the Department of Transportation for the installation of a traffic signal or an addition traffic control device the it will then be forwarded to them for their review and recommendation.
The Department of Transportation does not permit speed bumps on a public right away. However, an Investigator from this Division will inspect the intersection to insure that all traffic, parking and pavement signs are in place."

"The traffic engineering survey has been completed for Marin Blvd & 9th St. The traffic engineering data collected indicates a traffic signal may be warranted. Therefore, the data has been forwarded to the Department of Transportation along with an "Authorization to Design". I will advise you of the DOT's recommendation."

I have just sent an e-mail to Steven Fulop (Jersey City's councilman for this area of the city), and sent him a link to this forum thread asking him if there is any way he can help us.

Posted on: 2008/7/29 2:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Looks to me that we need to:

1) Verify that the city sent the request as they claim. Nothing can be trusted in Jersey City.

2) Get a copy of said request, to verify that it accurately describes the problem.

3) Insist upon the state that lives hang in the balance and the current design is an unreasonable hazard.

I believe that Councilman Fulop has the power to do all of this with ease. Therefore, since he has already been notified of the existence of this discussion, I will put my trust in him to assure us he is doing his part. If a week passes with no comment, I will pursue other avenues, suggestions of which are welcome. But I really believe that Fulop will be responsive here. I guarantee lives will be saved by improving this intersection, and anyone who disputes that could only argue that the intersection causes maimings and not deaths. (statistics of which I do not have available).

Posted on: 2008/7/29 1:36

NJDOT Traffic Control Device Procedures
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/29 16:00
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Here is the copy of the NJ State DOT Regulations and Standards for the installation of traffic control devices.

The procedures are outlined here and are pretty extensive. Needless to say it's time consuming. The sooner it's started the earlier a light will be installed at 9th & Marin.

Whether the process has been started should be an easy Yes or No response from the city or our Councilman.

All the best and Happy Reading.

Geoff

Quote:
NOTE: This is a courtesy copy of this rule. The official version can be found in the New Jersey
Administrative Code. Should there be any discrepancies between this text and the official
version, the official version will govern.

TITLE 16. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
CHAPTER 27. TRAFFIC REGULATIONS AND STANDARDS FOR TRAFFIC CONTROL DEVICES
Expires on July 12, 2011

SUBCHAPTER 1. TRAFFIC REGULATIONS

16:27-1.1 Traffic regulations
All matters concerning traffic regulations, including applications for traffic control devices,
shall be referred to the Bureau of Traffic Engineering and Investigations, Division of Traffic
Engineering and Safety, at the New Jersey Department of Transportation, PO Box 613,
Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0613. All public comments and questions about traffic control
devices shall be referred to the Bureau.

16:27-1.2. Definitions
The following words and terms, when used in this chapter, shall have the following
meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.

"Authority" means the public authority, municipality or county having jurisdiction over
highways upon which a traffic control device is located.

"Bureau" means the Bureau of Traffic Engineering and Investigations in the Division of
Traffic Engineering and Safety at the New Jersey Department of Transportation.

"Commissioner" means the Commissioner of the New Jersey Department of Transportation.

"Department" means the New Jersey Department of Transportation.

"Division" means the Division of Traffic Engineering and Safety at the New Jersey
Department of Transportation.

"Engineer" means the municipal or county engineer, the municipal or county traffic
engineer, a qualified consulting engineer retained by the authority, or a qualified consulting
engineer retained on behalf of a private entity, as applicable, who is licensed as a New Jersey
Professional Engineer.

"MUTCD" means the current "Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices for Streets and
Highways," issued by the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.

"Traffic control device" means a sign, signal, marking, or other device used to regulate,
warn, or guide traffic, placed on, over, or adjacent to a street, highway, pedestrian facility, or
shared-use path by authority of a public agency having jurisdiction.

"Traffic control signal" or "traffic signal" means any highway traffic signal by which traffic is
alternately directed to stop and permitted to proceed.

SUBCHAPTER 2. (RESERVED)

SUBCHAPTER 3. STANDARDS FOR TRAFFIC CONTROL DEVICES
16:27-3.1. Standards

(a) The basic principles concerning the design and usage of traffic control devices are
governed by the MUTCD. The MUTCD, adopted by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
as a national standard for all classes of highways, is adopted by reference herein. All
Department decisions with regard to traffic control devices shall be based on the MUTCD as
provided by N.J.S.A. 39:4-120.

(b) The MUTCD is available in electronic format from the FHWA at
http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/.

(c) The MUTCD is available in book form or as a compact disk from the following
organizations:

1. American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) at:
https://www.transportation.org/publica ... kstore.nsf/Home?OpenForm;

2. Institute of Traffic Engineers (ITE) at: http://www.ite.org/bookstore/index.asp; and
3. American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA) at: http://www.atssa.com/.

SUBCHAPTER 4. APPLICATION PROCEDURES FOR TRAFFIC
CONTROL SIGNALS

16:27-4.1. Application process

(a) This subchapter provides the procedure that all authorities must follow in order to
obtain the Commissioner's approval of an ordinance establishing a traffic control signal,
pursuant to N.J.S.A. 39:4-8.a.

(b) An application requesting authorization to proceed with the design of a new traffic
control signal, for modification to an existing traffic control signal that has not previously been
approved, or for modification to an existing traffic control signal that has previously been
approved, shall be submitted to the Bureau by the authority, except that on county roads, a
municipality may submit an application if accompanied by a letter of consent from county
officials. This application will enable the Bureau to determine if a traffic control device is
warranted.

(c) The application required by (b) above may be submitted on behalf of the authority by
an engineer of a private entity, such as a land developer or lot owner, if the application is
accompanied by a letter from the authority consenting to the application by the engineer.

16:27-4.2 Application requirements

(a) The application shall include traffic count data, as follows:

1. For new traffic control signals, the traffic count data shall be consistent with the
requirements of the MUTCD; and

2. For existing traffic control signals, the traffic count data (for example, peak-hour
counts, eight-hour counts, pedestrian counts, etc., as appropriate) shall be sufficient to
justify the proposed design.

(b) The application shall include a crash summary or collision diagram. This information
should cover the most recent three-year period and include direction of vehicles, type of crash
(right angle, same direction, and so forth), date, time of day, weather conditions and severity
of the crashes including injuries and fatalities.

(c) The application shall include a recommendation regarding the installation or
modification of a traffic control signal in the form of a certification of the engineer, bearing the
engineer's New Jersey Professional Engineer's seal, that:

1. The engineer has conducted an analysis of the data submitted pursuant to N.J.A.C. 16:27-4.2(a) and (b);

2. The engineer has conducted an investigation of traffic movements and conditions at
the intersection or location of the traffic control signal;

3. The engineer's recommendation is based on the analysis and investigation; and

4. The engineer's recommendation is in the interest of safety and the expedition of
traffic on the public highways.

16:27-4.3 Application decision

(a) If upon review of the application, the Bureau finds a traffic control signal is warranted,
the Bureau will authorize the applicant to proceed with the design of the traffic control signal.

(b) If upon review of the application, the Bureau finds a traffic control signal is not
warranted, the Bureau will so notify the applicant and include in that notification remedial
actions needed, if any were identified as part of the review process of the Bureau.

16:27-4.4 Design requirements

(a) Upon receipt of authorization from the Bureau to proceed with the design of a traffic
control signal, the engineer may design the traffic control signal. The design shall be in
conformance with the MUTCD and shall include the following:

1. A signal layout plan drawn to an appropriate engineering scale containing the
following information:

i. Existing details of the physical layout including edge of pavement or curb line,
right-of-way lines, channelization, existing traffic controls, driveways, catch basins,
sidewalks, corner sight distance restrictions, bus stop locations, parking prohibitions,
and so forth. (Specify dimensions.)

ii. Proposed geometric improvements:
(1) Roadway widening;

(2) Corner cutbacks;

(3) Channelization;

(4) Pavement width transitions;

(5) Driveway openings.

iii. Signal equipment:
(1) Pole and pedestal foundation location;

(2) Length of mast arms;

(3) Signal head details shall be illustrated on the plan's Signal Legend;

(4) Location and manner of suspension of signal heads including special details
(e.g. special mounting height or mast arm mid-mountings);

(5) Special signal visibility limiting devices and back plates, if any; and

(6) Approximate location and type of detectors including pedestrian push
buttons and related signs.

iv. Regulatory and warning signs only:
(1) Locations;

(2) Legends (on other than standard signs, sign and letter sizes will be
required);

(3) Operation (if special electrically operated sign).

(4) Parking signs need not be shown.

v. Pavement markings:
(1) Stop lines, lane lines, centerlines, crosswalk lines, pavement edge lines,
channelizing lines, word and symbol markings;

(2) Line colors, widths and spacings should be detailed and all lane widths
should be dimensioned.

vi. Proposed traffic regulations (limits of regulations clearly indicated on plan):

(1) Parking, stopping or standing, bus stops, loading zones, lane use control and
so forth.

(b) The design of a traffic control signal shall include a signal operational schedule and any
specific operational notes. The signal operational schedule shall be shown only on a separate
document and not on the signal layout plan.

16:27-4.5 Installation and inspection

(a) Upon completion of the design, the authority may install the traffic control signal.
(b) Upon completion of the installation of the traffic control signal, the engineer shall
inspect the final installation for conformance to the design plan, shall note any modifications
from the design plan, and shall determine if all modifications, if any, are in conformance with
the MUTCD.

16:27-4.6 Certification and approval

(a) After the traffic control signal has been designed, installed, and inspected, the authority
shall submit to the Bureau:

1. A certification of the engineer bearing the engineer's New Jersey Professional
Engineer's seal, stating that:

i. The traffic control signal has been designed in conformance with the MUTCD;

ii. The engineer has inspected the traffic control signal; and

iii. The traffic control signal has been installed in conformance with the design; or,
the traffic control signal has been installed in conformance with the design with
modifications identified and found to conform to the MUTCD, with reference to the
applicable section(s) of the MUTCD;

2. A copy of the as-built plan;

3. A copy of the signal operational schedule; and

4. A certified copy of an adopted ordinance establishing the traffic control signal. (A model traffic signal ordinance is available from the Bureau.) If the signalized intersection
involves multiple authorities, each of the authorities having jurisdiction must also submit an
ordinance or resolution as appropriate.

(b) Upon receipt of the engineer's certification, the as-built plan found in compliance with
the MUTCD, and the adopted signal ordinance and county resolution, if applicable, the Bureau
will recommend to the Commissioner the approval of the ordinance pursuant to N.J.S.A.

39:4-8.a.

16:27-4.7 (Reserved)

SUBCHAPTER 5. REQUESTS FOR INFORMATION
16:27-5.1 Requests for information
All requests for information concerning whether or not a specific traffic control device has
received the approval of the Commissioner must be submitted in writing to the Bureau of
Traffic Engineering and Investigations, New Jersey Department of Transportation, PO Box 613,
Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0613, accompanied by a payment in the amount of $25.00.

Posted on: 2008/7/27 14:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/29 16:00
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
It's clear a more permanent solution (definitely a traffic light) is required at this intersection.

The state NJDOT site link (www.state.nj.us/transportation ... t/rules/pdf/chapter27.pdf ) contains the NJ's Traffic Regulations and Standards under NJAC 16:27. It may be heavy reading but the procedures for traffic light approval should be contained here. (At the moment, the site appears to be down.)

Rutgers performed an interesting study in 2002, which cites some of the basic standards warranting a traffic light. See p. 14, "Review and Comparison of NJ Traffic Signal Standards and Striping Schemes for Pedestrian Crossings" for some of the applicable standards and other useful information related to crosswalk issues. See www.policy.rutgers.edu/vtc/doc ... dBike.Traffic_Signals.pdf

For those interested in "Speed Humps" (not bumps, really), the state legislature recently adopted legislation authorizing their use. Unfortunately, the law has certain limitations as to speed (posted speed not more than 30 mph) and traffic volume (less than 300 vehicles per day), which may restrict their use on Marin. They may be more appropriate for Erie Street, however.

See http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/eng/documents/speedhumps/

All the best.

Geoff

Quote:
Speed Humps

The New Jersey Legislature has adopted a new law regarding speed humps. This law applies only to municipal roads. NJDOT has adopted the engineering practices recommended for speed humps by ITE as the applicable design standard and practice for speed humps on municipal roads. Transportation engineers should refer to the relevant ITE document for guidance.

Chapter 107

AN ACT concerning speed humps on certain streets and roads and supplementing Title 39 of the Revised Statutes.

BE IT ENACTED by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:

C.39:4-8.9 Definitions relative to speed humps.

1. As used in this act:

"Department" means the Department of Transportation.

"Private roads" means semipublic or private roads, streets, driveways, parkways, parking areas, or other roadways owned by a private person, corporation or institution open to or used by the public for the purposes of vehicular travel by permission of such persons, corporations or institutions and not as a matter of public right.

"Speed hump" means a physical alteration to the horizontal and vertical alignment of a road surface used as a traffic calming measure and conforming to the technical standards established by the Department of Transportation.

C.39:4-8.10 Construction of speed humps, traffic calming measures by municipality.

2. a. Pursuant to the provisions of section 3 of this act, a municipality may construct a speed hump on totally self-contained two-lane residential streets and on totally self-contained one-way residential streets under municipal jurisdiction which have no direct connection with any street
in any other municipality, have fewer than 3,000 vehicles per day, with a posted speed of 30 mph or less, and on one-way streets connecting to county roads. The board of directors of any corporation, or the board of trustees of any corporation or other institution of a public or semipublic nature not for pecuniary profit, having control over private roads, may construct or provide for the construction of a speed hump on any private road subject to the provisions of Title 39 of the Revised Statutes, pursuant to P.L.1945, c.284 (C.39:5A-1 et seq.).

b. Pursuant to the provisions of section 3 of P.L.2004, c.107 (C.39:4-8.11), a municipality may construct traffic calming measures where appropriate, which may include, but are not
limited to, speed humps on streets under municipal jurisdiction which have no direct connection with any street in any other municipality, have fewer than 3,000 vehicles per day, with a posted speed of 30 mph or less, and on one-way streets connecting to county roads, when any road construction project or repair of a street set forth in this subsection is undertaken and located within 500 feet of that street is a school or any property used for school purposes.

Amended and approved September 13, 2005.

C.39:4-8.11 Conformance of speed humps to DOT standards.

3. Any speed hump constructed by a municipality or a board of directors or trustees shall conform in design and construction to the technical standards established by the Department of Transportation.

A municipality or board shall provide advance warning, including but not limited to, the erection of appropriate signs giving notice of the presence of speed humps before the first speed hump in a series of speed humps and provide for a pavement marker to be placed at the location of the first speed hump. The signing and pavement markings for a speed hump shall conform to the current standards prescribed in the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices for Streets and Highways as adopted by the Commissioner of Transportation.

4. This act shall take effect on the 120th day after enactment.

Posted on: 2008/7/26 15:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jclxz wrote:
gueren, do you have any more information about the traffic survey / response? Reference numbers, names, paper documents for example, anything that a government official might need to understand the status and assist in pursuing it.

My understanding is that the DOT has not yet responded. Do we know if their response is necessary (or guaranteed), and if their approval is mandatory? Is my assumption correct that this is the NJ state DOT and not a DOT at some other government level?

Is there any more information with respect to the DOT request - for example names of people accountable for the request, reference numbers, and so on?

Do we know if DOT approval means a light will definitely be constructed? Do we know if the city council must vote on it?

Exactly what city agency has done the traffic survey and sent the DOT the data? Or is this going to be obvious to any city or state (assuming it is the state DOT) official?

I really appreciate what you've done so far and I am not asking these difficult questions out of idle curiosity.

jclxz, unfortunately I do not have answers for any of your questions. I just submitted a request to have a traffic light installed at the intersection, and I received the two responses I posted above. I know nothing more than that.

Yesterday I sent an e-mail to Steven Fulop pointing him to this forum thread. I also told him about the traffic light request I had made. Hopefully he can help push the issue.
Steven Fulop's contact info is in his website (http://www.stevenfulop.com/) if you are interested in reaching him. My understanding is that he has frequent contact with the JCPD and other city and state authorities.
Not sure how much he can do, but if you want to get personally involved he should be able to tell you what you can do / who to talk to.

Posted on: 2008/7/26 0:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
I noticed that there is a left turn lane for North bound traffic at intersection. Perhaps the solution is to turn this lane into a pedestrian island. This would have several effects. First, it shortens the distance between safe points for pedestrians. Second, by eliminating the left turn lane, vehicles queuing to make the left turn will stop one of the lanes of traffic (hence allowing pedestrians better access to cross). And third, would increase congestion at the intersection, thereby discouraging Holland Tunnel cut throughs from the turnpike.

Genius!

There should be no turning left (or right) from Marin onto 9th. Cars should have to go up to 10th and come down 9th to get to that school. That middle lane should be turned into a safety island, and there should be lights on both sides.

People often get half way across that intersection and get stuck between cars going 50mph. It's nasty.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
I noticed that there is a left turn lane for North bound traffic at intersection. Perhaps the solution is to turn this lane into a pedestrian island. This would have several effects. First, it shortens the distance between safe points for pedestrians. Second, by eliminating the left turn lane, vehicles queuing to make the left turn will stop one of the lanes of traffic (hence allowing pedestrians better access to cross). And third, would increase congestion at the intersection, thereby discouraging Holland Tunnel cut throughs from the turnpike.

The left turn lane you are referring to was just added this past spring at the same time they installed those rumble strips. I think they added this for the safety of the drivers because people used to cut into the oncoming lane of traffic in order to make a left onto 9th or 10th street.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/7/25 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
gueren, do you have any more information about the traffic survey / response? Reference numbers, names, paper documents for example, anything that a government official might need to understand the status and assist in pursuing it.

My understanding is that the DOT has not yet responded. Do we know if their response is necessary (or guaranteed), and if their approval is mandatory? Is my assumption correct that this is the NJ state DOT and not a DOT at some other government level?

Is there any more information with respect to the DOT request - for example names of people accountable for the request, reference numbers, and so on?

Do we know if DOT approval means a light will definitely be constructed? Do we know if the city council must vote on it?

Exactly what city agency has done the traffic survey and sent the DOT the data? Or is this going to be obvious to any city or state (assuming it is the state DOT) official?

I really appreciate what you've done so far and I am not asking these difficult questions out of idle curiosity.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 5:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/7/25 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I was walking home from Shop Rite this evening and noticed a security camera on top of a pole at the intersection of 8th & Marin (northwest corner). I never noticed it before. I wonder if they are using it for traffic purposes, like one of those cameras that takes pictures of the license plates of speeding cars.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 0:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/19 6:39
Group:
Banned
I feel for the OP who got beat up - I've been yelled at and given the finger plenty of times at that intersection, I know how aggressive those drivers can get.

The corner of 9th and Manila (grove st) is equally dangerous yes, I've had cars accelerate in front of me so they don't have to wait for me to cross (while I'm already in the crosswalk)

I think if you are going to make a second entrance to the mall parking lot you should also have a stop light there to make it safe for pedestrians to cross the street. The crossing guards there are as useful as those yellow plastic men they replace them with sometimes (but I'm sure not as cheap)

BD - when you're running late for work that extra block plus the walk around the mall to get to where you would've originally ended up by going in thru the 9th st entrance add precious minutes people just don't have.

I really hope they put more police presence in that whole area, if not for the safety of us pedestrians, to make a killing ticketing those reckless drivers who have no regard for traffic laws.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 15:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
Regarding Ian's comment about Ipods and street crossing. I have seen MANY people in NYC almost get hit by cars because they are wearing ipods and not paying attention. I would be pretty pissed off/upset/freaked out if I was driving and I hit someone who was completely unaware of their own surroundings.

On another note, I must admit that I cannot stand dealing with people wearing ipods and not being aware of someone saying pardon me, excuse me, etc etc.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Suze wrote:
If it's so dangerous, why not just walk a block and cross at the traffic light at 8th?

Seems to me that would be the sensible thing to do, no?

That's like the New York state legislators that tried making it illegal to listen to an ipod while crossing the street because a cab driver killed a pedestrian while making an illegal turn. Pedestrian behavior should not be altered because drivers are breaking the law.

Marin Blvd crossings are absurd. I cross frequently at Second and Marin, which a lot of people do because there is a light rail stop at Second Street. Drivers frequently do not stop, though at least at this intersection the south side is one lane in each direction rather than two. However, while some people might think it makes sense to insist pedestrians "just walk a block" to the traffic light at either first street or at Metro Plaza, in reality, the pedestrian ends up walking two blocks, once up, once back (uphill both ways!). It takes 12 seconds to cross the street. Walking up a block and back adds a tremendous amount of time. Cars can stop, not just because its easier, but because its the law.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 13:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/8 14:46
Group:
Registered Users
I hate that intersection as well. I live on 9th, so it doesn't make sense for me to walk to 8th just to have to cross the park to get home. I am a small 26-yr old woman and while I have not yet encountered someone getting out of their car, I do almost get run over nearly twice a week and I have had people slow down to curse and yell at me. I always feel bad when I see parents with strollers trying to cross there....

Same deal with the parking garage for the mall - I get nearly run over there more often trying to get through to Marin Blvd.....

Posted on: 2008/7/24 13:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/25 1:50
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
If it's so dangerous, why not just walk a block and cross at the traffic light at 8th?

Seems to me that would be the sensible thing to do, no?

Posted on: 2008/7/24 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
During the school year there is usually a crossing guard at 9th/Marin so it is usually fairly safe on my morning commute. The afternoon is another story. One evening I saw a small child get struck by a car. He bounced off the front bumper like a basketball, but luckily just got up and walked away.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
That intersection will never be fine with the maniacs rushing to the tunnel and trying to beat the traffic.

I've always walked over to 8th and crossed with the traffic light in my favor. I had way too many close calls @ the 9th crossing and unless there is a traffic signal, it will never be a safe spot to cross...especially at night. . The only thing that would make that a safer crossing is a traffic light.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 10:33

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/23 11:08
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I appreciate this post as well. The crosswalk at 9th and Manila and the corner of Erie and 9th streets are equally as dangerous. The ingress and egress into the Hamilton Park area has been overrun by overflow traffic from the Holland Tunnel.

The only time drivers ever stop at the stop sign located at the 9th and Manila crosswalk is when there is a cop present and that's a rarity. Drivers who encounter pedestrians in this particular crosswalk often just drive around them. It's ridiculous.

Just yestrday morning there was a massive accident at the corner of Erie and 9th streets. One car barreling down Erie ran a red light and plowed into a car making a turn onto Erie from 9th. One car plowed into the St. Francis Garage and the other into the side of the Newport Pharmacy. Both drivers were lucky to have walked away.

Numerous times a day (particularly during rush hour), cars will travel the wrong way up Erie street from 12th st and many of them come from the tunnel.

Clearly this area is out of control.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 10:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
Why don't JCPD officers regularly write tickets for those who don't come to a complete stop at stop signs?

Where I grew up in Northern Virginia...

If you attempt to slow down and roll through a right-hand turn at a red light...

Or if all of your wheels don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign...

You will ABSOLUTELY be pulled over and ticketed if a cop observes that behavior.

That's just the way it is.

Given that this is a common behavior in JC, I'd think the police could MAKE A KILLING with tickets/fines if they positioned themselves at cross streets along thoroughfares where drivers regularly ignore stop signs (e.g. Newark Avenue).

A crackdown on unsafe drivers would make JC a safer place for all of us.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 7:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
i had someone assault me the same way on congress & webster, a lady was carelessly reversing her car at more than 15mph till the brakes screeched as i was making my way through the crosswalk (i had the right of way), almost hit me, then got out of the car and attacked me, scratching my face, and taking multiple swings. i ran into my job at the corkscrew for help, and got some of my regulars to hold her down. we took her plate # and she took off. i found out she was a friend of the tenants upstairs from the bar. i notified the owner that his tenants friend assaulted me outside of his building, also my place of work, and instead i got fired the next day. go figure. i should've pressed charges.

on another note... i've tried crossing at that crosswalk on 9th and manilla many times and people just fly through the stop sign on 9th, and fly through the flashing light on 8th by the firehouse. people are in a rush to get to the tunnel or the turnpike. the same things have happened on the witt-penn bridge with people speeding and carelessly driving, and it wasn't until multiple deaths occurred in a short period of time that something was done to help the situation. can't always blame the jcpd for not responding right away (though they sometimes have a knack for taking care of stupid things first), and if anything, the port authority police are right in that vicinity as well.

if anything, the jcpd was probably too busy writing tickets for handicapped parking at bj's and shop rite.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 6:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
My roommate got the license plate of thecar with guy that assaulted her...the police arrived and took a statement. They called her later that evening (or the next day..cant remember) and told her that the license plate matched a car from Randolph, did not match the description of the assailant and that basically there was nothing they could do...probably was some ass on his way to buy his drugs using his friends car and in a HUGE rush. Figures..right?!!

Posted on: 2008/7/24 5:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
jclxz,

Since you have the description of the car and driver as well as the license plate number, it couldn't hurt to pass this information on to police.

If this guy assaulted you, chances are he has done it before and will continue to do it to others until he's behind bars.

This was a crime and, in my view, it should be reported.

I am very sorry this happened to you and I hope you are feeling better.

Stay safe and take care,

UrbanRenewal

P.S. You and doohicky's roommate should compare notes -- it's probably not the same guy, but you never know.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 5:15

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:
Quote:

jclxz wrote:
And people are not only regularly hit at this intersection, but also beaten by drivers who do not appreciate them using the crosswalk.

"Beaten"?

Seriously?

They stop the car and get out and attack people on foot? What is this, Grand Theft Auto?

Actually, my roommate got assaulted at this very crosswalk by a guy who didnt feel like stopping at the stop sign...when she "got in his way" he got out of his car and assaulted her...
For a short time, we got police presence.
In addition, when there is "police presence" at this intersection...it is typically at off times when there is not much thoroughfare, so basically it is useless. Rush hour would be a good time.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 4:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
I've seen people almost get hit here before. It's really a car-crazy intersection with people coming out of 9th and everyone rushing to get to/from the tunnel. It needs to be turned into a pedestrian activated stop-light before someone gets killed.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 4:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
I appreciate you sharing the details. Scary story. When did this happen? I ask because I actually see cops on Marin quite often and saw one there tonight as well.

About 7:30-8:00pm. Unfortunately my phone does not record the time of 911 calls (!) so I can't say for sure.

I only stayed until I felt that my assailant was going for a weapon after determining that I was off the phone with the police.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Okay that's one instance. Who else?

Posted on: 2008/7/24 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
I appreciate you sharing the details. Scary story. When did this happen? I ask because I actually see cops on Marin quite often and saw one there tonight as well.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Well obviously the police aren't going to respond. THEY ARE #OOPS#ING INCOMPETENT.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 2:34

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017