Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: 9th & Marin crosswalk
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ansky wrote:
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:
"Beaten"?

Seriously?

They stop the car and get out and attack people on foot? What is this, Grand Theft Auto?

I was wondering the same thing. I think we need more details from the OP. Someone got out of their car and attacked a pedestrian?

Fine, I'll tell the rest. I was crossing at this intersection (the crosswalk closer to 9th), and a car refused to stop and the driver yelled at me. I yelled back, "it's a #OOPS#ing crosswalk". A DIFFERENT car stopped (as he was lawfully required to do, at least), the driver started yelling at me. I didn't even respond, I actually felt that his stopping at the crosswalk was more respectful even if he yelled a great deal. The driver (a very large Hispanic man) got out, grabbed me by the throat, threw me down the hill towards the parking garage. I got up, he struck me again in the throat/upper chest and I flew down the hill. He easily outweighed me by two or three times. I called 911 on my cellphone. I received NY 911, who transferred me to the correct 911. I gave them the description of the car and perpetrator repeatedly. He was about to leave but upon realizing that I had given his license plate, he stayed. The instant that 911 hung up with me, which I made a serious error in making clear to him, he made further threats ("you'll get it now" or "you'll learn your lesson now", "ill get you now", I forget the exact words, but it was basically an indication that the violence was to escalate) and reached in his glovebox. I worried that he was reaching for a weapon when I saw him open his glovebox, and went quickly to to find police at the tunnel (I ran down Marin). Upon finding no police, I called 911 again 3 times, and was disconnected immediately each time (before reaching a human or even hearing a ring). I gave up, went home to tend to my wounds, and here I am.

It is perhaps an exaggeration to refer to myself as beaten, I admit. I have bruises and scrapes, but I am not permanently injured. I was thrown to the ground only twice, once with a hand around my throat, and once with more of a push/shove in the throat/upper-chest area.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jclxz wrote:

How many grievous injuries per month should an intersection receive before it requires an hour per week of police presence, whether those injuries are the result of cars colliding with pedestrians or angry drivers assaulting pedestrians?

I give up, how many?

Sounds like you've done exhaustive research on the subject. Care to elaborate?

Posted on: 2008/7/24 1:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
When you call the precinct and ask for that, please see if I can get a cop for a couple of hours a week too, because LIFE IS HARD and so on and so forth.

Thanks.

I'm talking about an intersection with thousands of people crossing daily, and tens of thousands of cars breaking traffic laws daily. If Jersey City is really that bad, I think I'd rather move elsewhere. I'm asking for 10 minutes per day of police presence.

How many grievous injuries per month should an intersection receive before it requires an hour per week of police presence, whether those injuries are the result of cars colliding with pedestrians or angry drivers assaulting pedestrians?

Posted on: 2008/7/24 1:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:
"Beaten"?

Seriously?

They stop the car and get out and attack people on foot? What is this, Grand Theft Auto?

I was wondering the same thing. I think we need more details from the OP. Someone got out of their car and attacked a pedestrian?

I agree that intersection is very dangerous. I cross at least twice a day. I reported the problems with this intersection to the NWA a while back and they forwarded my concerns to the JC traffic dept. Soon after that those rumble strips were installed in that intersection. I suggested putting a traffic light there such as the one at 8th & Marin but I guess they didn't like that idea.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 1:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jclxz wrote:
And people are not only regularly hit at this intersection, but also beaten by drivers who do not appreciate them using the crosswalk.

"Beaten"?

Seriously?

Posted on: 2008/7/24 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jclxz wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
I am having a hard time understanding this post. Are you suggesting that there be a constant police presence at that intersection in particular?

That seems a little drastic. Especially while people are being beat to near death and gaggles of unruly teens rule the streets of our fair city.

Time for a priority check.

I don't mean a constant presence. I mean an hour or two a week, so that people who drive by regularly remember that there is a high chance of there being police in the vicinity.

And people are not only regularly hit at this intersection, but also beaten by drivers who do not appreciate them using the crosswalk.

When you call the precinct and ask for that, please see if I can get a cop for a couple of hours a week too, because LIFE IS HARD and so on and so forth.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
I am having a hard time understanding this post. Are you suggesting that there be a constant police presence at that intersection in particular?

That seems a little drastic. Especially while people are being beat to near death and gaggles of unruly teens rule the streets of our fair city.

I don't mean a constant presence. I mean an hour or two a week, so that people who drive by regularly remember that there is a high chance of there being police in the vicinity.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 1:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Maybe if you put reflectors on the BJ's Shopping Carts you knowingly remove from their premises, the cars might slow down for you.

Entitled scumbag.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2008/7/24 1:28

9th & Marin crosswalk
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The crosswalk at 9th and Marin has now gotten completely out of control. Besides people disregarding traffic laws, we have people passing through our community who feel the need to assault citizens lawfully crossing at a crosswalk.

What should our course of action be? I think we should videotape the situation at the intersection, and present it at an appropriate venue. Would this be one of the police community meetings or a city council meeting? Would bringing video be allowed? Would we have to carry in a flat-screen TV? Obviously we would need a large group of people to video the intersection to ensure our safety.

I am willing to speak to the situation at the intersection at any city meeting, but I only believe it would have power if others came to say the same thing. I'm sure everyone who crosses there on a regular basis feels the same way.

I simply want enough of a police presence at that intersection to make people aware that Jersey City will not allow people to violate traffic laws when it seriously endangers pedestrians, and also to make them aware that assaulting pedestrians who attempt to cross at the crosswalk will result in legal consequences.

By the way - who do you call if you actually want the Jersey City police, for a real emergency? 911 will get you 911 in the city, who are extremely rude, who then eventually transfer you to 911 in Jersey City (or Hudson County?), who are even more rude. Is it true that calling the radio room directly will get the police to arrive more quickly? (or even at all)

Is it allowed for a 911 operator to hang up on a caller when they say they have just been assaulted and the perpetrator is still at the scene? My understanding is that 911 is always required to stay on the line with you until emergency services arrive. Note that I'm not talking about a bystander reporting an incident they observed while driving by, but a victim reporting that they were violently attacked and that they still are in imminent fear for their life.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 1:22

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017