Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: Stop Signs on Erie Street - Steven FUlop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
here he is...
Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/12/18 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
the car from post 150 was illegally parked again today but on the opposite corner blocking the entire crosswalk. sorry, I didn't have my phone on me so no pictures but I'll be sure to get some next time.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 15:28
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
I hope you at least took the time to walk into the station and present these pics to the officer in charge, when confronted with such an abuse of priviledge they should have had the car moved immediately. if that doesn't work email them to city hall and request an explination.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 16:23
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Walking Down Erie, I noticed this car parked in the crosswalk at 1st. Not only illegal, but dangerous, as pedestrians must step into oncoming traffic to get around the car.

Resized Image

In the windshield I noticed - surprise! - who the car belongs to.

Resized Image

One of JC's finest.

Resized Image

Wait, did I say fine? I meant "superior"!

Resized Image

It's worth noting that the entrance to the police department parking lot is 20 feet away, but superior officers shouldn't have to exert themselves with all that extra travel.

And the JCPD continues to set a fine example...

Posted on: 2008/12/16 4:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/5 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe we need something like this: Resized Image 3D Crossings in China Hmm.. anyone interested in a late night project downtown?

Posted on: 2008/12/13 0:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/13 17:44
From Hamilton Park(ish)
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DanL wrote:

more attention and effort must be placed on preventing vehicles from parking too close to the intersection. again the low cost way is to paint the no parking zone not just on the curb but on the street...

the stop sign cannot come too soon, until then screech and crunch....

This may sound silly, but my husband is color blind and always has to ask my opinion if he is too close to the "red" curb or not. The paint has faded away so bad it is really difficult to determine where it begins or ends in most places.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 14:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/13 17:44
From Hamilton Park(ish)
Group:
Banned
People have GOT to stop parking on the corners. Half the time you can not see the intersection because of illegaly parked cars that you can not see around. Of course there is a lack of parking in JC but this is really hazardous.

Also (slightly off-topic)...my car was parked on Erie and 5th this weekend and a drunk driver (apparently, from what a witness told) smashed into the right side of our car knocking off the side view mirror, the window can't roll up, and many dings on the passenger's door. Of course it takes a week to get a police report and let's just hope she has insurance.

Oh, Jersey City!

Posted on: 2008/10/13 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
another wreck last night. car went through stop sign on first, got hit, then smashed into a parked car.

no one was hurt, luckily, as this is right at Torico's, where lots of people are usually milling around on warm nights.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:

But the legislation had to be amended since there were disagreements with various agencies such as the Jersey City Police Department and the Department of Public Works over the solution, with some officials claiming it would slow traffic.

So are the officials saying that slowing traffic down is a problem? I thought that is what we were trying to do.

This is a question for the reporter who wrote that paragraph, I just GP'ed the story.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:

But the legislation had to be amended since there were disagreements with various agencies such as the Jersey City Police Department and the Department of Public Works over the solution, with some officials claiming it would slow traffic.

So are the officials saying that slowing traffic down is a problem? I thought that is what we were trying to do.

HaHa! Me too.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:

Posted on: 2008/7/24 16:06
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/4 1:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
There was an accident on Erie & Ninth this morning. Didn't see the accident. I'm assuming either someone turned left on red from 9th onto Erie or the car on Erie used the red light as a stop sign.

Either way, even traffic lights can't stop drivers from being morons.

Posted on: 2008/7/23 15:55

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/13 22:23
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
In the past, when rumble strips and speed bumps have been suggested, two reasons were thus:

1. The DOT, Police and Fire Dept. would oppose them

2. The strips and bumps would unduly rattle the historic homes and damage them.

Now, rumble strips are on Jersey Ave., and the HCA would like to hear from anyone whose home is being adversely affected.

There are many other ways to slow cars: traffic calming measures:

- streets narrowed at intersections (eg, chicanes, neckdowns)
- streets narrowed at midpoints (chokers)
- textured cross walks made of a different color and material than the street (eg, the brick crosswalks by Hamilton Square)
- speed tables
- raised crosswalks/intersections

Posted on: 2008/7/23 15:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/13 22:23
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
when is the next City Council meeting

Posted on: 2008/7/18 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I saw a police SUV (K9 Unit) roll through a stop sign on First Street at Erie last night. Didn't even pause-stop, just rolled gently through the intersection. Oh, and I was a pedestrian at the cross walk trying to cross the street. There were no lights or sirens, there was no emergency, just casual rolling through a stop sign like there was nothing going on.

So, yeah, that's probably most of the problem right there.

Posted on: 2008/7/15 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Why does the city bother? The other day I watched a woman stare down a cop as she casually drove thru the STOP sign at Coles and Pavonia. The cop, who was with a work crew, did nothing. And no, he had not waved her thru.

Posted on: 2008/6/26 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The drivers of the jitney buses drive like idiots anyway. You could put a standard traffic light on the corner and they still might blow threw it.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 13:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
I used to live on a corner with a blinking red light. Cars would blow through it constantly (especially the jitney buses). Those who actually stopped for the light would be met with blaring horns from the geniuses behind them.

It was neither a safe nor peaceful corner to live on. Careful what you wish for, blinking red light lovers.

I posted about this yesterday, but it was deleted (?). Apparently, JC drivers are completely clueless about what a blinking red means. Just stand on the corner of Montgomery and Washington on Saturday or Sunday if you have any doubts. The city has recently changed that intersection from a regular light to a flashing red (on Washington) crossing a flashing yellow (Montgomery). Last Saturday, I drove through three times on Montgomery and each time, I had to brake hard for some idiot on Washington completely ignoring the flashing red and barreling through the intersection. And as for the flashing yellow, all it seemed to do was confuse most of the drivers on Montgomery into paralysis. And the pedestrians trying to cross at that intersection looked terrified, and rightly so.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 12:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

StevenFulop wrote:
I would just like to give you an update on where things stand with this issue. I have been working with John Yurchak (Director of DPW), Captain McDonough (East District Police), and the Parking Authority. What we have come up with is this:

1. A stop sign will be placed on Erie at 3rd Street.
2. A stop sign will be placed on Erie at 7th Street.
3. The Parking Authority will be stepping up enforcement on parking at the curbs.
4. Crosswalks will be repainted.

Additionally, the blinking light on Erie at 10th Street might be switched to a standard traffic light in the near future.

The East District will also continue to keep an eye on speeding in the area.

This is a good start. The area will be monitored to see if this is effective or more is needed. This is very important as it relates to the changing needs of the area and its residents.

Sincerely,

Steven Fulop
Councilman Ward ?E?

I'm glad to see that you all agreed upon and posted the recommendations/alternatives given to you by the director of the DPW, and all the other parties involved.

This amended ordinance is a doable one and there should be no reason the D.O.T should deny this application. The changing of the traffic signal at 10th street should decrease the number of traffic accidents at this intersection, since the data has shown the majority of the accidents are between 10 and 14th street (tunnel traffic) this was also a discussion during the 139 construction project meetings.

This amended ordinance you posted above is the same suggestions that were given to many of us who called to find out what was really going on with all of this. Councilman, not everything is a fight and not everything has to have a "spin", compromise isn't a bad thing!

Councilman Fulop, you've posted numerous times on this site and when the information you give it accurate I don't need to challenge it and sometimes even say well done, but lately that hasn't been the case.

Anyway,
Well done to all of the parties involved on this new and improved ordinance!
[/quote]

Crash!
New set of measures to offset Erie Street accidents
Ricardo Kaulessar
Reporter staff writer | 06/20/2008

Erie Street in downtown Jersey City is a narrow one-way road going south to north from Newark Avenue to 16th Street - but that banal description belies how popular this thoroughfare has become with morning rush hour commuters looking for a shortcut to the Holland Tunnel or the Turnpike.

There were 89 accidents in 2007 on Erie Street - more than one per week - with a whopping 62 of them happening just between 12th and 14th streets.

The other 27 accidents occurred within the stretch from Newark Avenue to Sixth Street, according to Jersey City Police Captain Brian McDonough, who heads the department's East District Precinct on Seventh Street.

Residents of the area have been complaining at community meetings and in phone calls and e-mails to Councilman Steve Fulop about speeding traffic and accidents on that street and others leading to the tunnel.

"In the case of traffic throughout the city, speeding and cutting through residential streets is a quality of life issue that needs to be addressed," Fulop said last week.

Accidents on Erie
McDonough said that so far this year, there have been 22 accidents, with 17 of them occurring between 12th and 14th streets. He said this represents a decreased number of accidents on Erie between Newark Avenue and Sixth Street.

He said the police are diligent about cracking down on speeding by issuing tickets ranging from $85 to $200. McDonough also has a personal reason for wanting to slow down speeding on this road.

"Two of our police officers were patrolling late at night a few months ago on Erie when some car going eastbound was speeding and went right into their patrol car," McDonough said. "One of those officers is still out of work because of the injury he sustained from that night."

More stop signs on the way
In March, Fulop sponsored legislation to place stop signs at every intersection on Erie Street up to Tenth Street (this section of Erie Street is predominantly residential) to curb speeding and reduce the potential for accidents.

But the legislation had to be amended since there were disagreements with various agencies such as the Jersey City Police Department and the Department of Public Works over the solution, with some officials claiming it would slow traffic. Instead, a compromise was reached and several deterrents were agreed upon in April to implement:

* A stop sign will be placed on Erie at Third Street.
* The Parking Authority will step up enforcement on parking at the curbs.
* Crosswalks will be repainted.
* Additionally, the blinking light on Erie at 10th Street might be switched to a standard traffic light in the near future.

However, Fulop said he would like to see some additional measures implemented to complement the others.

"The administration and Director John Yurchak [of Public Works] doesn't believe in speed bumps, which may sound ridiculous ... not even in select locations," Fulop said last week. "[Yurchak] believes in rumble strips, which serve no purpose as they have them on Kennedy Boulevard, but cars still speed 50 miles per hour over them and the only purpose they serve is to make noise."

Resident also wants safety
Dan Levin lives with his wife and two children on Third Street near Erie. His night's sleep has been disturbed by sound of a crash on Erie Street several times in recent months.

He said he welcomes any effort to prevent future accidents from happening - such as the speeding car that ran into a section of Grace Church Van Vorst on Second and Erie streets, knocking out a gate.

He has several suggestions, such as police cracking down on people parking close to the intersections, which blocks visibility and causes drivers to pull out into oncoming traffic.

"We all benefit from having safer streets," Levin said.

Posted on: 2008/6/22 6:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:
Not to bust your chops but did you *take* the written portion of the driver's license test?

Yes, and I got all of the questions right. But I have no depth perception and wouldn't dare to try to drive a car here.

Posted on: 2008/6/2 18:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/6 11:43
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Once more let me reiterate how useful bulb outs / curb extensions are, since they physically prevent vehicles from parking on the corner.

By far the most constructive advice on this hazzardous condition.

Posted on: 2008/6/2 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Once more let me reiterate how useful bulb outs / curb extensions are, since they physically prevent vehicles from parking on the corner.

Posted on: 2008/6/2 13:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 18:03
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
well the councilman et. al sure got 3rd and Erie right!

3am this morning the familiar screech and crunch. Police were on the scene almost immediately, up to five police vehicles.

there were cars parked on both 3rd and Erie on the SW corner impeding visability, notably a SUV, Mercury Mountaineer on Erie, no way to see oncoming traffic around it until in the intersection, I have the plate # if anyone interested. No citation issued for the illegally parked vehicles. the police seem to believe a tree blocked visibility of the stop sign on 3rd and cut it back, referencing the stop sign should be visible from 75'.

same location a couple of weeks ago, I believe a parked car was hit along with a tree on the NE corner of that intersection.

The stop sign or flashing light would have done nothing to prevent this. The Police were not doing their jobs, the cars should have at least been ticketed, at best towed. Enforce the law, as they are paid to do, no preferential treatment to offenders (I would give you odds, that if you check out those plates, you will find that they belong to police officers that are not even residents of Jersey City.) If people understand that they will be ticketed, towed or even held responsible for any accidents that occur as a result of their actions, they may not be inclined to park at crosswalks and corners.

Posted on: 2008/6/2 12:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
So what is happening with this?

Robin.

Posted on: 2008/6/2 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
well the councilman et. al sure got 3rd and Erie right!

3am this morning the familiar screech and crunch. Police were on the scene almost immediately, up to five police vehicles.

there were cars parked on both 3rd and Erie on the SW corner impeding visability, notably a SUV, Mercury Mountaineer on Erie, no way to see oncoming traffic around it until in the intersection, I have the plate # if anyone interested. No citation issued for the illegally parked vehicles. the police seem to believe a tree blocked visibility of the stop sign on 3rd and cut it back, referencing the stop sign should be visible from 75'.

same location a couple of weeks ago, I believe a parked car was hit along with a tree on the NE corner of that intersection.

more attention and effort must be placed on preventing vehicles from parking too close to the intersection. again the low cost way is to paint the no parking zone not just on the curb but on the street...

the stop sign cannot come too soon, until then screech and crunch....

Posted on: 2008/5/31 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jclxz wrote:

Considering 10th & Erie, people don't know what a blinking red and a stop sign means. It makes them angry and speed up often, 5% of cars or so.

One thought might be to put up more signs explaining in writing what people are supposed to be doing at various intersections.

I think there's an assumption that people know, but, except for the fact that people know you get ticketed if you roll straight through a red light, it's not clear to me that people really know what the rules here. It doesn't look, for example, as if many drivers understand that pedestrians have right of way in a crosswalk.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Blatant traffic violations notwithstanding, the blinking red vehicle signal is poorly conceived. It's counterintuitive, because you rarely come across it and meanwhile you're conditioned daily by every pedestrian signal to hurry up when it's blinking red. When many drivers, who comply with stop signs, don't even slow at a blinking red, you have a flaw in the design of the signaling system.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 6:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I used to live on a corner with a blinking red light. Cars would blow through it constantly (especially the jitney buses). Those who actually stopped for the light would be met with blaring horns from the geniuses behind them.

It was neither a safe nor peaceful corner to live on. Careful what you wish for, blinking red light lovers.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 3:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

How about a blinking red or a stop sign at the corner of Manila and 8th?

Considering 10th & Erie, people don't know what a blinking red and a stop sign means. It makes them angry and speed up often, 5% of cars or so.

A blinking red light by itself is the worst, people think it means you can just go right through it. I don't understand why people think this, but 8th & Marin late at night proves it is common. No one will stop at the flashing red light, and only a few cars will slow down.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 3:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
If you're going to do something, do it right.

Posted on: 2008/5/15 18:53

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017