Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Booker, Healy urge Senate to pass gun bill -- NJ Moves Step Closer To Strict Handgun Sales Limit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
One might hope that after fingerprinting, referencing, background checking, etc. legal gun owners, the state would have the resources to look into those who cleared all the hurdles and are buying a lot of guns. They already have the data to know who are buying a large number of guns so why don't they just investigate those folks. That would seem to be a much better approach than punishing, for example, the collector who buys a lot of guns at an estate sale.

It's yet another way for politicians to grandstand and claim to do something about crime while doing nothing. Nevermind how what they should be doing is enacting a "shall issue" carry license law.

Quote:

scooter wrote:
Quote:
New Jersey demonizes legal handgun owners
how is it demonizing you to limit you to 12 per year? what, you need 13? I don't get this nutty gun thing.

Posted on: 2008/7/18 3:39

Re: Booker, Healy urge Senate to pass gun bill -- NJ Moves Step Closer To Strict Handgun Sales Limit

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/22 5:07
Group:
Registered Users
.... "Damn," said Jimmy "The Mathematician" Strawman, admitting he was now certifiably deterred from engaging in the illegal business by the prospect of a gun-rationing law: "Applications for purchase-permits, application fees, the ID verification standards, NCIS check, agent investigation fees, 3-month waiting period for purchase-permits, PLUS, sales tax? I was cool with all the other hoops I had to jump through, and now, when I thought it'd be smooth sailing, a "1-gun-a-month" rule? How am I going to make a profit, and have money left over to cut a check to Ms. Cunningham's 'Always So Very Much About The Children' campaign before November?"

.... "SCOOOOOOOOOOTER!" said Superintendent Chalmers.

Posted on: 2008/7/17 0:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
I think they *are* suing out of state dealers.

Quote:
New Jersey is focusing on its own citizens who follow strict guidelines.
If you read the article (did you read the article?) they're finding a lot of guns involved in crimes bought locally, in other words people in the business of buying for others who aren't able to (unless you just think they're lying about the numbers).

THAT'S who the bill focuses on (jeez louise).

What's the waste of money? The conditioning and electricity in the state house as they signed the bill? Because this sounds like sound legislation to me - I even think the limit of 12 per year is still ridiculous - personal protection? Who's buying even 4 guns a year for personal protection?

oh yeah. the nuts are.

Posted on: 2008/7/16 14:57
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
how is it demonizing you to limit you to 12 per year? what, you need 13? I don't get this nutty gun thing.

nutty gun thing... okay I'm with you there... but the point is the "nutty people" who follow the law aren't holding up the 7-11...

the focus of the bill should be crime... this bill is a waste of money.

If one really wants to stem gun violence, New Jersey should sue Virgina, Georgia, and Pennsylvania each time a handgun is linked to sales in those states. Likewise, families and victims of gun violence should sue those states whose laws make it easy to buy in bulk and sell to criminal elements in New Jersey.

New Jersey is focusing on its own citizens who follow strict guidelines.

Posted on: 2008/7/16 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
New Jersey demonizes legal handgun owners

Posted on: 2008/7/16 14:20
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
New Jersey demonizes legal handgun owners who go through some of the most stringent background checks that include fingerprinting, photographs, and in some communities, letters from neighbors to "confirm" one's good character.

Legal handgun owners are not robbing the local liquor store... repeat offenders are, but let's waste time and money on a bill that won't do squat.

Posted on: 2008/7/16 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a bit mystified why yet another restriction on those who obey the laws would have helped people killed by illegally owned handguns. I guess it's just one more step toward the gun prohibitionist crime free paradise that is DC.

I'm looking forward to taking my chances in NH/VT where there are essentially no gun laws and nearly no violent crime.

"Both Suheti Ocasio and a mother shot inside a Montclair YMCA were murdered by suspects who used illegal handguns."

Posted on: 2008/7/16 2:05

Booker, Healy urge Senate to pass gun bill -- NJ Moves Step Closer To Strict Handgun Sales Limit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Booker, Healy urge Senate to pass gun bill

Newsday
July 14, 2008

NEWARK, N.J. - Newark Mayor Cory A. Booker is calling for the state Senate to pass a bill that would limit people to buying one handgun per month.

Booker made his plea a block from the spot where an 18-year-old was shot to death at a high school graduation party last month.

The legislation is co-sponsored by Sens. Sandra Cunningham and Teresa Ruiz. It passed the Assembly last year.

Booker was joined by Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy. Jersey City passed a similar ordinance last year, but it was struck down by a judge who ruled it pre-empted state authority.

Supporters say the law will cut into the illegal gun trade by limiting the number of guns bought by "straw buyers" who make purchases on behalf of people with criminal records.
==============================

NJ Moves Step Closer To Strict Handgun Sales Limit
Several Mayors, Activists Ask State Senate To Pass Legislation Limiting Consumers To Only 1 Handgun Per Month

Bill Has Already Passed State Assembly

Christine Sloan

NEWARK (CBS) ― Some people say owning one gun is one too many. Others say one is not enough. But if they live in New Jersey - it soon may be - thanks to a proposal limiting gun sales.

They didn't know each other, but officials say their tragic deaths had one thing in common. Both Suheti Ocasio and a mother shot inside a Montclair YMCA were murdered by suspects who used illegal handguns.

"Approximately 80 Americans are killed everyday by gun violence. The senseless gun violence in our neighborhoods has to stop," said Asyah Aquil, a member of "Million Mom March."

The Mayors of Newark and Jersey City, along with several community activists, asked the State Senate to pass legislation that would place a limit on handgun sales in New Jersey, to just one a month.

"I think anybody who feels the need to purchase 13 handguns a year, is either a collector, and there are exemptions in the law for them or they intend on selling the guns on the street," said Brian Millier of Ceasefire.

"Many of the guns that we are seeing used in crimes here in Newark are coming not from far away and distant states but are coming from local gun dealers," said Mayor Cory Booker.

Newark's mayor claims buyers can purchase several guns at shops. Gun shop owners say laws are tough to make sure weapons don't get in the hands of criminals. But the co-sponsor of the bill disagrees.

"It's one bill. It's one step. But we hope it serves as the beginning of a deterrent," said State Senator Sandra Cunningham.

The bill has already passed the State Assembly but the Senate won't be back until the fall to vote on the legislation.

The co-sponsor of the bill says the legislation will not affect law enforcement or licensed collectors.

(? MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

Posted on: 2008/7/15 5:58

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017