Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
67 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 67

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Path Alerts
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/1 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
just got the PATH Alerts for the suspended service for Hoboken to WTC/33rd St... supposedly a car's wheels came off, and it's stuck on the tracks, there were no reported injuries based upon the news report... gotta love public transportation... ;) just in time for rush hour...

the PATH gotta have some balls, if they decide to raise fare any time soon...

Posted on: 2008/7/9 23:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/27 1:27
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know if my Blackberry hates me or if there just hasn't been a lot going on lately, but I haven't gotten many Path alerts in the past few months.

That being said, when the WTC station was closed for a few hours (bomb threat?) last year, getting the alert was extremely helpful. Better to split a $30 cab with a coworker than stand around for 3 hours wondering when the station would re-open.

Posted on: 2008/7/9 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GroveStreetJC wrote:
I do admit, that lately, the frequency of updates have been more, likely due to the weather conditions (t-storms, hot weather) and as well with more and more ppl seeing JC as a great place to live.

You are overlooking the real reason: gross incompetence.

Posted on: 2008/7/9 17:35

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/24 3:06
Group:
Registered Users
my neighbor made a website so we'd all catch the train on time. NJtransit and PATH timetables that are user friendly. Simple, but it works great.

www.nynj.net

Posted on: 2008/7/9 17:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/6 5:22
Group:
Registered Users
I actually enjoy getting the PATH updates, as both my wife and myself can arm ourselves with knowledge. Who wants to go to a station, to find it out of order?

I appreciate the PATH update service, and it's been extremely useful for us.

I do admit, that lately, the frequency of updates have been more, likely due to the weather conditions (t-storms, hot weather) and as well with more and more ppl seeing JC as a great place to live.

Posted on: 2008/7/9 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Easy enough to turn them off. All I can say is they've helped me and mine avoid quite a few delays. They're an information edge for sure- Other poor slobs streaming down to a station that is for all intents & purposes closed, while those "in the know" just bail to another station or find a ferry, or leave early.

Much, much better than standing around in a station, past the turnstile, waiting forever for a train only for the idiot muffle-voice to come on and say something utterly garbled and trying to figure out if you're screwed or if you should stay put.

I find them to be one of the only things that the PA does right.

Does anyone remember the blackout? There was no getting out of the city. Only reason my girl did was because I called her from JC, which still had power, and told her to get the hell out of Dodge, which she did, running like a rockstar to the 38th Street Ferry. If she hadn't, she would have been trapped there, because not an hour later the lines were thousands of people deep for those little boats.

The PATH issue is different you say? Of course it is. My point is information is king, especially in a city the size of Manhattan. I want to know what the "escape tunnels" are doing at every moment, thank you very much.

I cannot imagine why anyone who uses the PATH regularly would not want to be looped in on any little bit of info that may disrupt their commute.

All of that said- To the OP, yeah, it's amazing how banged up they are and how many service interruptions have to be "wired" out to all of us. If anything it could be viewed as a PR disaster. I am sure at some point some idiot will write an expose based on their in box and state, "TEH PATH WERENT WORKIN 10 DAYZ OUT OF 30 DIS MONTH", and then the bureaucrats will freak and go CYA, and they'll stop sending messages unless the PATH has actually sunk below the river bed.

GWB

Posted on: 2008/7/7 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
actually most are about service outages, which happen pretty regulary - both Hoboken/33rd and Jrnl. Sq./33rd were completely suspended for a while this morning, I think that's what the OP was referring to.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 17:13
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Many of the Path alerts are nonsense anyway, like the ones about elevators being out of service.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
the L train was bad but this Path stuff is crazy

yep.

you're right, it is - this is Jersey City.

Things don't really work here.

and just wait till more of your ex-neighbors move here, then the PATH will get really interesting.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 17:02
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Brooklynboy wrote:
I signed up for the Path Alerts. I seems I get one every 10 minutes. I just moved here from Brooklyn and the L train was bad but this Path stuff is crazy.

I didn't get any alert this time around, sometimes I do sometimes I don't.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 16:59

Path Alerts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
I signed up for the Path Alerts. I seems I get one every 10 minutes. I just moved here from Brooklyn and the L train was bad but this Path stuff is crazy.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 16:54

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017