Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

Re: Where are all the BJ shopping carts coming from?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
In a bid to combine 2 threads/problems why don't we stuff all the carts into that little drug dealer's park on Wayne St?

Posted on: 2008/7/8 3:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
Maybe we should confiscate the carts until there are no more carts left in BJ's. Maybe then, they will do something about it.

I've been thinking the same thing -- vigilante justice!

Maybe there's an abandoned warehouse somewhere in Jersey City where the shopping carts can be stashed?

The JCList posse can hold the carts for a new kind of ransom (with the ransom being that BJ's will be forced to install a cart theft deterrent system once and for all if they ever want to see their precious carts again)!

Posted on: 2008/7/8 3:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe we should confiscate the carts until there are no more carts left in BJ's. Maybe then, they will do something about it.

Posted on: 2008/7/8 2:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A new BJ's cart appeared at the corner of Wayne and Barrow today just days after the 3 that were there got carted away. I vow to not shop at any of their locations until they come up with a solution to stop the rampant cart littering going on across Downtown Jersey City. Maybe it is time to start a boycott.

Posted on: 2008/7/8 2:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Hi All,
Just a quick update...just walked home from PATH train (10pm) on Newark Ave and spotted no less than FOUR shopping carts!! FOUR!! When will residents and businesses stop allowing this to trash up their neighborhoods? It's seems like people will just take the cart and push it to someone elses corner so it won't be on theirs rather then deal with it and call up BJ's or the JCIA to come pick them up. Wake up people.

Jaah

Posted on: 2008/7/8 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
How much does the lockup system A&P has cost? Their carts lockup when you try to wheel them past a certain point in the parking lot.

Posted on: 2008/7/8 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Jim,
I will email BJ's and call Mauro Amato to discuss a long term solution, as you've suggested. Together we WILL make a difference!!

Jaah

Posted on: 2008/7/7 21:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/21 16:54
Group:
Registered Users
Elvis, jaah37, pchops, and gang

Here?s what I did. First I e-mailed BJ?s Customer Care center to make them aware of this cart issue in Downtown Jersey City and then told them of this web site and the ?cart? thread and suggested they read through the entries and look at the photos. I received a cordial response back apologizing for the inconvenience and thanking me for bringing this to their attention. The Regional and General Manager?s were contacted regarding this issue and I was told I will be contacted upon BJ?s customer service receiving more info.

I was also given the Jersey City General Manager?s name; Tim Hebert and his phone number is 201-798-0500. I called him today and spoke to him about the cart issue and he was friendly and polite and said he is fully aware the problem but didn?t know about this thread. I asked him what kind of solution he could offer and he said that he contracts with a company to go around the City and pick up errant carts but people need to call him when they see one because he can get a truck over to pick it up before it disappears and is moved to another location.

Also the Regional Manager?s name is Mauro Amato and he is based out of Paramus and the store phone number is 201-909-9800.

Although Tim Hebert?s solution could work in the short term this obviously is not a long term solution. I would suggest EVERYONE posting on and reading this thread not only e-mail BJ?s but call Tim to report abandoned carts and locations, so they can be carted off, as well as call Mauro Amato to ask what kind of long term solution is BJ?s is considering to resolve this problem. Together we can make a difference.

BJ?s e-mail is membercare@bjs.accentonline.com

Good Luck, Jim

Posted on: 2008/7/7 20:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
The cart is back at Washington and Sussex. There is also one at Essex and Washington.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

UrbanRenewal wrote:
The three carts that were full of trash at the corner of Wayne and Barrow disappeared recently, but the trash they were filled with got dumped all over the sidewalk against the fence on the western side of Barrow.

I'm guessing that the BJ's truck came to pick the carts up and just dumped the trash right there on the street, but I can't be sure of it.

A tiny bit good news:

The pile of trash that I spoke of in the post above (that used to be in the BJ's carts at the corner of Wayne and Barrow) has been removed and discarded.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 18:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/5 13:19
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I just saw some mangy looking guy walking down 7th Streeet across from the Police Department with a BJs cart. He was looking in everyone's garbage and if he found something he liked, he would put it in his cart...

Posted on: 2008/7/7 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elvis wrote:
ORLANDO, Fla. -- At Wal-Mart, a digital locking signal prevents shoppers from leaving the parking lot with their carts.

The "digital locking signal" is a GREAT concept!

I wonder how expensive it would be for Jersey City stores to employ this sort of anti-theft system (or install waist-high barriers along the sidewalk outside store entrances).

In my opinion, they should be required to do one or the other as soon as possible.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Orlando city commissioners will try to figure out what to do with shopping carts that end up where they don't belong. Some city leaders say they're creating an eye sore.

Shopping cars that belong to a Publix on Colonial Drive have been found on the sidewalk just a few feet away from the busy road. It's part of a problem that city leaders hope to fix soon.

"I get angry at the folks who take them off the property. Basically it's property of the store," said Doug Shellhammer, the store manager at Clemen's Produce.

Nearly 8 years ago, Clemens Produce installed metal poles on each shopping cart because so many of them would end up missing. Shellhammer said he doesn't even want customers taking carts to the parking lot, but some people still find a way.

"I can't possibly hold all of these things to my car that's parked right over there," said customer Allen Aboo.

Monday morning, the city might consider requiring new stores with more than 20 carts to install a retention system similar to what is being used at Big Lots. Customers have to pay a quarter for each cart. They don't get their money back until they return it.

At Wal-Mart, a digital locking signal prevents shoppers from leaving the parking lot with their carts.

The city is expected to review the current ordinances on the books to see what needs to be updated.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elvis wrote:
I swear the carts were out taunting me this weekend. I saw tons of them. The worst one, I saw one in Newport Mall. IN the mall just sitting there. I got a nice pic which I will upload soon.

I suspect what you were seeing is what the kids now call
a "conceptual installation" -- art school lingo for just leaving
your junk on the floor and not using the waste baskets.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The three carts that were full of trash at the corner of Wayne and Barrow disappeared recently, but the trash they were filled with got dumped all over the sidewalk against the fence on the western side of Barrow.

I'm guessing that the BJ's truck came to pick the carts up and just dumped the trash right there on the street, but I can't be sure of it.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I swear the carts were out taunting me this weekend. I saw tons of them. The worst one, I saw one in Newport Mall. IN the mall just sitting there. I got a nice pic which I will upload soon.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
i found one on 16th and coles...snapped a photo, but i'll upload it later.

Posted on: 2008/7/5 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just walked from 4th st down Newark Ave to Grove St and spotted no less then 5 Bj's carts. 3 are left right on Newark Ave, very easy to spot. Anyone hear from Fulop on this matter yet? Happy 4th of July!!

Jaah

Posted on: 2008/7/5 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2008/7/2 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
? 284-3. Seizure; redemption or sale of abandoned carts; fees. [Amended 6-14-1995 by Ord. No. 95-050; 2-26-1997 by Ord. No. 97-007]

All such carts abandoned or otherwise left on public streets, public property or on private property without the express consent of the owner or tenant thereof or the City of Jersey City shall be seized and impounded by the Police Department or the Department of Public Works, to be sold in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.A. 40A:14-157 at public auction as unclaimed property after a period of six months, unless the owner thereof shall claim them from the Police Department or the Deprtment of Public Works within said period and pay the sums as provided in Chapter 160, Fees and Charges, to cover municipal retrieval and storage costs. Such fees shall be paid to the Treasurer of the City of Jersey City for the purposes of the City of Jersey City.

? 284-4. Violations and penalties.

Any person violating or failing to comply with any of the provisions of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be punishable by a fine of up to fifty dollars ($50.).

Posted on: 2008/7/2 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
It seems to me that if they were half as diligent about stopping people from wheeling carts off the premises as they are busting mall shoppers who use the parking lot, we'd see a lot fewer carts downtown. To be fair, I saw a red cart with garbage in it on Barrow between Columbus and Newark (across the street from Brick Haus). Turned out it was a Target cart. Anyway, the shopping cart problem seems to be reaching epidemic proportions.

That Target cart belongs to a homeless guy commonly found in that area of town laying on the sidewalk. But you are very right Jaded, this problem is reaching epidemic proportions. We, the residents have to make it known this situation is not exceptable anymore. Write Councilman Fulop and email and let him know your feelings. Report all carts you see to be picked up at: JCIA Inspectors Line -
(201) 432-4645 ext.671

Thanks,
Jaah

Posted on: 2008/7/1 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
200 years from now, once JC has finally been destroyed by overpopulation, corrupt local government, gang on gang violence (Go Team Yuppie!) and density of high-rises causing both Newport and Paulus Hook to break off and sink...

...after all that....

...the shopping carts will remain.

Like the cockroaches.

Cockroaches and BJ's shopping carts. Perfect Together.

Posted on: 2008/7/1 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
It seems to me that if they were half as diligent about stopping people from wheeling carts off the premises as they are busting mall shoppers who use the parking lot, we'd see a lot fewer carts downtown. To be fair, I saw a red cart with garbage in it on Barrow between Columbus and Newark (across the street from Brick Haus). Turned out it was a Target cart. Anyway, the shopping cart problem seems to be reaching epidemic proportions.

Posted on: 2008/7/1 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elvis wrote:
I spoke with Tim at Bjs last week. Apparently my method worked a little, because he and I spoke at length about the problem. The funny thing is, he seemed to agree with me on all points. He is as annoyed, if not more, with the cart theft. We spoke at length about options he could implement, but for now, his hands are tied. He said they used to have a wheel lock system, but it didn't work. People would just keep breaking them. We left it at, "Hopefully something will get done soon" and we were both optimistic that with the help of concerned citizens and Bjs, we could solve this problem. He said to call Bjs and ask for the manager to report anytime you see a cart. For now, thats the best he can do. It sounds to me like his hands are tied.

Who are his hands tied by? What about putting cart attendents/ cart guards in the parking lot to keep the carts organized and on the property. Instead of losing countless dollars on stolen carts they could afford to pay 2 attendents to secure them.

Jaah

Posted on: 2008/7/1 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I spoke with Tim at Bjs last week. Apparently my method worked a little, because he and I spoke at length about the problem. The funny thing is, he seemed to agree with me on all points. He is as annoyed, if not more, with the cart theft. We spoke at length about options he could implement, but for now, his hands are tied. He said they used to have a wheel lock system, but it didn't work. People would just keep breaking them. We left it at, "Hopefully something will get done soon" and we were both optimistic that with the help of concerned citizens and Bjs, we could solve this problem. He said to call Bjs and ask for the manager to report anytime you see a cart. For now, thats the best he can do. It sounds to me like his hands are tied.

Posted on: 2008/7/1 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

UrbanRenewal wrote:

As mentioned by other JCListers previously, other large retailers across the city -- such as the Old Colony Square Pathmark -- use waist-high barriers to keep the bulk of their shopping carts on site.

Let's make it a law!

I actually really hate those barriers at PathMark and I feel they cause a bunch of other problems. First, if people come out of the store with a large order, they have no choice but to leave their fully-loaded carts unattended while they go get their cars to drive up and load. Second, when they drive up and load, they create dangerous congestion at the front of the store and in the parking lot. Third, a lot of baby strollers do not fit through those barriers and you are forced to walk through the congestion of cars at the curb until you can find that one opening where you can fit.

I think the carts with the wheel-lock system are the best. People need to be able to get to their cars with the carts.

Posted on: 2008/7/1 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

as07302 wrote:
Quote:

UrbanRenewal wrote:

Something really should be done, and I think a waist-high barrier requirement may just be the best solution.

I agree that the barriers are a good idea - but i don't think it wouldn't work in this case. Where would you "draw the line"?

If the carts are permitted to go into the parking lot, can you imagine how large the perimeter would need to be? Plus, you can't but barriers on the access road right in front of BJs and ShopRite - this would allow a way out for the carts.

BJ's just needs to be a responsible member of the community and put electronic wheel locks on their carts like the other stores do.

I'm not familiar with how the Pathmark lot is laid out, so if the barriers work there they could maybe work here.

Shop-rite, which is right next door to BJ's, uses the wheel locks to prevent the carts from being rolled off the lot. I never see a shoprite cart around downtown, ONLY BJ"S!!

Posted on: 2008/7/1 20:36

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/31 19:15
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

UrbanRenewal wrote:

Something really should be done, and I think a waist-high barrier requirement may just be the best solution.

I agree that the barriers are a good idea - but i don't think it wouldn't work in this case. Where would you "draw the line"?

If the carts are permitted to go into the parking lot, can you imagine how large the perimeter would need to be? Plus, you can't but barriers on the access road right in front of BJs and ShopRite - this would allow a way out for the carts.

BJ's just needs to be a responsible member of the community and put electronic wheel locks on their carts like the other stores do.

I'm not familiar with how the Pathmark lot is laid out, so if the barriers work there they could maybe work here.

Posted on: 2008/7/1 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
I still find this BJ shopping cart story. THEY ARE COMING FROM BJS. Why is there still an on going thread about this. If the cart said Shop Rite it came from Shop Rite

Posted on: 2008/7/1 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Here's a thought:

Why can't the city government simply MAKE IT A REQUIREMENT that all large retail stores located within shopping centers install permanent waist-high barriers at the curb outside the entrance of their stores if they choose to provide shopping carts for their customers' use?

As mentioned by other JCListers previously, other large retailers across the city -- such as the Old Colony Square Pathmark -- use waist-high barriers to keep the bulk of their shopping carts on site.

Let's make it a law!

I'll also shoot a brief e-mail to Mr. Fulop about the problem this week.

Posted on: 2008/7/1 19:42

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017