Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

Lincoln Park area: 2 men charged in 2008 murder near Duncan Ave. housing complex
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
2 Jersey City men charged in 2008 murder near Duncan Ave. housing complex

Friday, January 15, 2010
By CHARLES HACK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Two Jersey City men have been charged with the 2008 murder of a 24-year-old man in a shooting near the A. Harry Moore public housing complex.

The shooting also left a 27-year-old man paralyzed from the neck down, said Hudson County First Assistant Prosecutor Guy Gregory.

Superior Court Judge Kevin Callahan issued warrants on Tuesday for Gregory E. Shannon, 27, of Bergen Avenue, and Tyrone R. Payne, 24, of Delaware Avenue. Both men are in federal custody on unrelated charges.

They are charged with the murder of Terrell Martin, 24, of Claremont Avenue, and the aggravated assault of Husain Booker, 27, of Armstrong Avenue. The shooting took place behind the Duncan Avenue housing complex at 11:30 p.m. on June 26, 2008, officials said.

Shannon and Payne are additionally charged with possession of a firearm for unlawful purposes and unlawful possession of weapon. Shannon is additionally charged with threatening a witness with a handgun, Gregory said.

When Shannon was arrested in May, officials described him as a "kingpin" in a heroin drug ring that operated out in Jersey City.

In December, he pleaded guilty to federal drug conspiracy charges, said a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office.

Also in December, Payne began serving a 71-month sentence at a federal penitentiary in Pennsylvania for felony possession of a handgun, said a spokeswoman from the U.S. Bureau of Prisons.

Martin and Booker were approached from behind and shot several times with semiautomatic pistols, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said at the time of the 2008 shootings. Authorities said they do not have a motive for the shootings.

Posted on: 2010/1/15 11:16

Re: Lincoln Park - SHOT DEAD, Friend injured in gunfire at A. Harry Moore public housing complex
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Cops: 2 had 60 bags of heroin at Moore complex
Saturday, July 05, 2008
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Two convicted felons were busted on drug dealing charges Thursday at Jersey City's A. Harry Moore public housing complex, where police have stepped up enforcement in the wake of last week's murder there, officials said.

Jermaine Finley, 26, of Communipaw Avenue, and Phillip White, 32, of Monticello Avenue, are charged with numerous drug offenses including possession of heroin with intent to distribute within 1,000 feet of a school and within 500 feet of public property, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said.

Officers on surveillance watched as the pair allegedly sold drugs to several people outside 320 Duncan Ave. and when the officers closed on the men, they ran into the building, but the cops got them, DeFazio said.

A search revealed they had about 60 bags of heroin, the prosecutor said. Several buyers were also arrested and issued summonses, DeFazio said.

The arrests come during a crackdown by DeFazio's office, the Jersey City Police Department, and the Hudson County Sheriff's Office in the wake of the June 25 murder of Terrell Martin, 24, of Claremont Avenue, and the critical wounding of Husain Booker, 27, of Armstrong Avenue.

DeFazio said that shooting may have been payback for a robbery at a dice game, DeFazio said, adding that Booker is expected to recover but may have spinal damage.

The men, who appear to have known each other, were shot with semiautomatic pistols by at least two people at about 11:30 p.m. Neither of the guns was found, but a third revolver that had not been fired was found at the scene. Police are not sure if the gun belonged to a victim, DeFazio said.

Posted on: 2008/7/5 15:43

Re: Lincoln Park - SHOT DEAD, Friend injured in gunfire at A. Harry Moore public housing complex
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Cops beef up patrols after double shooting

Wednesday, July 02, 2008
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

City and county law enforcement have stepped up patrols and undercover operations at Jersey City's A. Harry Moore Public Housing Complex in the wake of Wednesday's double shooting that left one man dead, officials yesterday said.

"Legitimate residents of the public housing sites should be able to live in relative peace and security," Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said.

"Trespassers, which are responsible for many of the issues at these sites, have to be deterred. The drug dealing has to be reduced, obviously, by cutting down on demand and hitting dealers in their pockets."

Last week's murder of Terrell Martin, 24, of Claremont Avenue, and the critical wounding of Husain Booker, 27, of Armstrong Avenue, at the Duncan Avenue complex may have been payback for a robbery at a dice game a day or two earlier, DeFazio said.

The men, who appear to have known each other, were shot with semiautomatic pistols by at least two people who approached them from behind at about 11:30 p.m. Neither of the guns were found, but a third revolver that had not been fired was found at the scene. Police are not sure if the gun belonged to one of the victims, DeFazio said.

Martin was shot through the neck and chest and was pronounced dead shortly afterward, officials said. Booker remains hospitalized at an undisclosed location because he is an escapee, DeFazio said. His condition was not known last night.

Booker went missing from the CUE Ogden halfway house in Newark in July 2006 while finishing a sentence for drug convictions, officials said. DeFazio noted that neither Booker or Martin lived at the complex. He also said that there were witnesses to the shooting.

Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to call the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office's Homicide Squad at (201) 915-1345.

Posted on: 2008/7/2 7:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/1 23:25
From JSQ
Group:
Banned
oh and by the way I remember this night........the sirens down duncan were astronomical .......maybe 30-40 police cars/DTs/EMTs.....It was crazy

Posted on: 2008/6/29 1:11

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/1 23:25
From JSQ
Group:
Banned
I live a couple of blocks from duncan projects to.
and I think sosha is right as far as what goes on there stays there.

Posted on: 2008/6/29 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Hey Bright boy, the SALACIOUS screaming "ALL CAPS" are straight from the Jersey Journal.

http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/index ... 14547930264780.xml&coll=3

Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Quote:
GrovePath wrote:

Lincoln Park - SHOT DEAD, Friend injured in gunfire at A. Harry Moore public housing complex

I wonder at the purpose of selectively posting all these incidents of murder and mayhem, and particularly in the SALACIOUS manner of screaming ALL CAPS. It hearkens back to the days of yellow journalism appropriated for internet boards....

My apologies to you for thinking you had editorially added the screaming ALL CAPS. I owe you one.

Just goes to show how tawdry the Jersey Journal has become.

Posted on: 2008/6/28 16:58
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Bright boy, the SALACIOUS screaming "ALL CAPS" are straight from the Jersey Journal.

http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/index ... 14547930264780.xml&coll=3

Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Quote:
GrovePath wrote:

Lincoln Park - SHOT DEAD, Friend injured in gunfire at A. Harry Moore public housing complex

I wonder at the purpose of selectively posting all these incidents of murder and mayhem, and particularly in the SALACIOUS manner of screaming ALL CAPS. It hearkens back to the days of yellow journalism appropriated for internet boards....

Posted on: 2008/6/28 16:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/9 20:30
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jclady wrote:
At the same time, I wonder why this particular crime got national coverage and the killing at the projects didn't. Both victims seem equally precious to me. Perhaps it could be proximity to middle-class interests (the YMCA, a swimming class involving middle-class children, a well-to-do area). If a man had shot his daughter in front of his wife at a government low-income housing project, again, would the coverage have been as prominent? I doubt it.

I think it is safe to say that media coverage favors the privileged or their interests.

You really wonder about this? Mainstream media = $. I'm sure I'll get demonized by saying this, but the fact is that the people mainstream media is targeting are the people who would care a lot more about Natalee Holloway than people getting killed in a Jersey City housing complex.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 20:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/19 14:35
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
It is true that I did assume because someone was in Montclair they were white. That was inaccurate but not racist. You could make a similar generalization about someone living on MLK and statistically you would be more likely to be correct saying they were African-American, but that might not necessarily be the case. It is probable that a person hanging in Montclair has more money than someone hanging on MLK, but, again, the specific instance could be different.

However, it is generally true that when a white person is the victim of a crime, there is a great deal more media coverage. Natalee Holloway is an example. African-American girls have disappeared under similar circumstances, but without so much attention.

At the same time, there are many similar instances involving whites killing whites, enough to say that, for the most part, violent crimes take place among similar groups, usually people who are intimate.

At the same time, I wonder why this particular crime got national coverage and the killing at the projects didn't. Both victims seem equally precious to me. Perhaps it could be proximity to middle-class interests (the YMCA, a swimming class involving middle-class children, a well-to-do area). If a man had shot his daughter in front of his wife at a government low-income housing project, again, would the coverage have been as prominent? I doubt it.

I think it is safe to say that media coverage favors the privileged or their interests.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
JCLady, you racially assumed comment of rich white kills rich white in montclair and then gets on the news is pretty funny (besides being racist), you assumed the zip code meant white. it was a black guy killing his black wife in montclair. and yes, it made the news because he murdered her in front of their child.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jclady wrote:
Yes, a poor fellow was shot dead at a public housing complex in Jersey City. God rest his soul.

Meanwhile, in Montclair, a woman was shot dead by a former lover in front of the kiddie pool. God rest hers.

Most crime takes place within ethnic and socioeconomic groups.

Poor African-Americans kill poor African-Americans.

Rich whites kill rich whites.

(Look who ended up on the national news, and who ended up on JCList!)

While I am not advocating naivete about the risks and dangers of the Lincoln Park area, I would also not discourage middle-class people from moving in.

Statistically, we are not in that bad a position in terms of violent crime. Burglaries do happen to us, but what about the robbery of paying half a million dollars for a cheaply built apartment in one of the "better" areas?

It is inevitable that well-designed, well-built urban areas will regain their rightful market value, especially with gasoline currently at $4/gal and the implications of global warming finally dawning on the majority of people. Rather than stay out of Lincoln Park and other lovely neighborhoods, we need to boldly go in and report missing street lights, graffitti, and trash, demanding--and getting--better public services. In the process, we will improve the quality of life for ourselves and the downtrodden current residents.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008 ... ct_in_montclair_ymca.html

In Montclair You Mean Rich African American kills Rich African American? Or maybe Middle-Income? Montclair has a diverse population.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
I 100% guarantee that if this happened in a housing project complex in Ward E, this thread would have been titled "Montgomery Gardens" or "Lafayette Gardens" or "Villa Borinquen".

Well put, jclady and BM.

Cue GrovePathological's sniveling "whatever, the logo in the top left says DOWNTOWN Jersey City List, Sal/NON!" in 5... 4... 3... 2...

Posted on: 2008/6/27 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
GrovePath wrote:

I wonder at the purpose of selectively posting all these incidents of murder and mayhem, and particularly in the SALACIOUS manner of screaming ALL CAPS. It hearkens back to the days of yellow journalism appropriated for internet boards.

Any casual reading of crime statistics whether in Jersey City or anywhere in the country shows that most murders are done within domestic situations where the parties knew each other.

If the point of all these postings, GrovePath, is to create fearmongery about other neighborhoods outside of downtown, then you are accomplishing your agenda. Particularly if the reason is to beat a "Path" to developers white elephant condos downtown.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 16:39
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/18 15:05
From John Wilkes Park
Group:
Registered Users
I live a couple of blocks away from the Duncan projects and had no idea this had happened until I read it here. What goes on in the Duncan projects tends to stay in the Duncan projects (unfortunately for the people who have to live there) and does not really affect the rest of the Lincoln Park neighborhood as a whole.

That being said though, the new mixed income housing they are building there looks nice and I hope it will make it a much easier area to police and much safer for the residents of A.Harry Moore as a whole. 4 towers down, 3 to go.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 16:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/19 14:35
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, a poor fellow was shot dead at a public housing complex in Jersey City. God rest his soul.

Meanwhile, in Montclair, a woman was shot dead by a former lover in front of the kiddie pool. God rest hers.

Most crime takes place within ethnic and socioeconomic groups.

Poor African-Americans kill poor African-Americans.

Rich whites kill rich whites.

(Look who ended up on the national news, and who ended up on JCList!)

While I am not advocating naivete about the risks and dangers of the Lincoln Park area, I would also not discourage middle-class people from moving in.

Statistically, we are not in that bad a position in terms of violent crime. Burglaries do happen to us, but what about the robbery of paying half a million dollars for a cheaply built apartment in one of the "better" areas?

It is inevitable that well-designed, well-built urban areas will regain their rightful market value, especially with gasoline currently at $4/gal and the implications of global warming finally dawning on the majority of people. Rather than stay out of Lincoln Park and other lovely neighborhoods, we need to boldly go in and report missing street lights, graffitti, and trash, demanding--and getting--better public services. In the process, we will improve the quality of life for ourselves and the downtrodden current residents.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Boy am I glad I didn't move there.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 9:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
SHOT DEAD
Friend injured in gunfire at complex

Friday, June 27, 2008
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

One man was killed and another - who had walked away from a halfway house two years ago - was critically injured after they were shot from behind at the A. Harry Moore public housing complex on Duncan Avenue Wednesday night, officials said.

Terrell Martin, 24, of Claremont Avenue in Jersey City, was shot through the neck and chest at about 11:30 p.m. Martin, who also was known as "Dickens," was pronounced dead shortly after midnight, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said.

Husain Booker, 27, of Armstrong Avenue in Jersey City, was shot twice from behind and was taken to Jersey City Medical Center, where he was in critical condition yesterday morning, DeFazio said. JCMC has no record of him being admitted, a hospital spokesman said.

Booker disappeared from the CUE Ogden halfway house in Newark in July 2006 while finishing a sentence for drug convictions, said Danielle Hunter, a spokeswoman for the New Jersey Department of Corrections.

The men, who appear to have known each other, were shot with semiautomatic pistols by at least two people who approached them from behind. Neither of those guns were found, but a third revolver that had not been fired was found at the scene. Police are not sure if the gun belonged to either of the victims, DeFazio said.

Police aren't sure of the motive. "It could be related to a dispute from a day or two before in which one of the victims was involved - that is something that we are looking into," DeFazio said.

Booker and Martin were shot on the east side of the building, said DeFazio, who added that police believe a large crowd witnessed the shootings.

People with information on the shootings are asked to contact the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office at (201) 915-1345, DeFazio said.

DeFazio said that in the meantime, police plan to increase security in the area. "People who are going there to resort to illegal activity will be deterred," he said.

AMY SARA CLARK can be reached at aclark@jjournal.com

Posted on: 2008/6/27 7:53

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017