Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: I Saw Someone Riding A Bicycle On the Pulaski Skyway This Morning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

devbeep wrote:
And while a hurricane might be a poor example of a reason to evacuate, with all this "post-9/11 world" bitching and moaning I see on this board every day, you'd think the first thing people would do when living in a sensitive area would be to prepare some sort of contingency plans for worst-case scenarios.

Got one.

But I'm not telling.

For the record it *is* possible to walk to Newark from JC and not by using any major roadways...

Posted on: 2008/6/30 19:25

Re: Pedestrian and Bike access to Newark

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/17 4:45
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, DanL! That link is very helpful.

Posted on: 2008/6/30 19:14

Re: Pedestrian and Bike access to Newark
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
yes, see this link - http://www.greenway.org/ for the East Coast Greenway, not only an off road bike/ped route from Jersey City to Newark, but also from Maine to Florida...

Quote:

propscene wrote:
Mathias,
it's insane that JC and Newark are inaccessible to each other by foot or bike. I'd be happy to petition for the walkways to be cleared and show up at the appropriate meetings, is there an organization that is working toward this? If not, there should be one.

Posted on: 2008/6/30 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Nowadays, that would be insane with all the traffic on River Road - actually all the Gold Coast overdevelopment has taken out much of the joy in riding a bike on this side of the Hudson.

What is really unfortunate is all the holes in the Hudson River waterfront walkway. Also, a handful of the older developments will do their best to keep the walkway from ever getting completed.

Posted on: 2008/6/29 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Riding from JC to the GWB is not far..10 miles or less one way depending on where in JC you start.

I'm definitely impressed by anyone riding in that direction. It's not so much the 10 miles, but isn't there an almighty, gut-busting uphill between Edgewater and the GWB? I used to do that ride when I lived in Manhattan. Ride up Riverside Drive, then over the GWB. Once over the bridge, I'd either hang a right and head up 9W towards Nyack, or left and down River Road towards Hoboken/JC. I remember the awesome downhill on River Road, where you could easily hit 45 mph. Nowadays, that would be insane with all the traffic on River Road - actually all the Gold Coast overdevelopment has taken out much of the joy in riding a bike on this side of the Hudson.

Posted on: 2008/6/28 23:53

Pedestrian and Bike access to Newark

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/17 4:45
Group:
Registered Users
Mathias,
it's insane that JC and Newark are inaccessible to each other by foot or bike. I'd be happy to petition for the walkways to be cleared and show up at the appropriate meetings, is there an organization that is working toward this? If not, there should be one.

Posted on: 2008/6/28 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Mathias wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
I've always ponderd riding from Newark Penn to the GWB. Id defenitly be down for trying it, theres just that small matter of needing a bike . Also Mathias thats awesome that you can do that kind of distance but what do you think a person with little to no biking experience can pull off? Im in good overall condition but really havnt touched a bike in a few years.

Riding from JC to the GWB is not far..10 miles or less one way depending on where in JC you start.

Rule #1 is that you need a good bike. Do not under any circumstance by a bike anywhere but a bike shop (no wal-mart department store bikes).

If you think that you want to work up to doing long rides it is best to buy a road bike. You could probably get a decent beginner road bike from a bike shop for between $800 and $1000.

If you are not sure how much you would be riding and only see yourself doing rides no more than 20 miles I would suggest a Hybrid bike which you could get for between $500 and $800.

I started riding in May of 2005 on a $300 Schwinn. I was 225lbs and it literally took me all day to reach the GWB. Now I am 160lbs and can get there in 32 minutes.

Email me if you want to know more about cycling around Hudson County or ideas on bikes

Mathiasbolton@gmail.com

I did the math. If I do the same as you by 2011 I will completely vanish from the Earth. Don't Laugh Sal!

Start now and I'll time you - some things are worth the wait!

Posted on: 2008/6/28 8:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Mathias wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
I've always ponderd riding from Newark Penn to the GWB. Id defenitly be down for trying it, theres just that small matter of needing a bike . Also Mathias thats awesome that you can do that kind of distance but what do you think a person with little to no biking experience can pull off? Im in good overall condition but really havnt touched a bike in a few years.

Rule #1 is that you need a good bike. Do not under any circumstance by a bike anywhere but a bike shop (no wal-mart department store bikes).

If you think that you want to work up to doing long rides it is best to buy a road bike. You could probably get a decent beginner road bike from a bike shop for between $800 and $1000.

If you are not sure how much you would be riding and only see yourself doing rides no more than 20 miles I would suggest a Hybrid bike which you could get for between $500 and $800.

I started riding in May of 2005 on a $300 Schwinn. I was 225lbs and it literally took me all day to reach the GWB. Now I am 160lbs and can get there in 32 minutes.

Email me if you want to know more about cycling around Hudson County or ideas on bikes

Mathiasbolton@gmail.com

I did the math. If I do the same as you by 2011 I will completely vanish from the Earth. Don't Laugh Sal!

Posted on: 2008/6/28 3:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
32 min to the GWB!! I have nothing but the utmost respect for you my good man. I appreciate the help with this. Im seriously considering getting a bike and trying this out , unfortunatly moneys pretty tight right now so it'll have to be put on the back burner for a while. But once again thanks for the insight into this.

Posted on: 2008/6/28 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/22 9:03
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:

Mathiasbolton@gmail.com

Posted on: 2008/6/28 3:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/5 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:

The lack of a way for pedestrians to get out is also a problem for people who don't have cars and are trying to decide how to get out of the city in an emergency.

Example: if a giant hurricane were coming, I'm sure I'm healthy enough to walk to Newark, if that would help, but I don't know how to get over the river. At least it sounds as if it's theoretically possible to walk over the Witpenn.

I think that would be an example of what is called "survival of the fittest".

And while a hurricane might be a poor example of a reason to evacuate, with all this "post-9/11 world" bitching and moaning I see on this board every day, you'd think the first thing people would do when living in a sensitive area would be to prepare some sort of contingency plans for worst-case scenarios.

Posted on: 2008/6/28 2:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2008/6/28 2:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/15 1:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
texanmovesnorth wrote: Whoa. I hold my breathe and say a quick prayer when we cross the Skyway in our vehicle. I can't even imagine the terror I would feel crossing it on a bicycle!

Absolutely! You can see what happens to people when drunk Jersey City cops use the skyway --- and those poor souls were in a car ---- imagine just being on a bicycle!

Posted on: 2008/6/28 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
after biking over the Rte 1/9 Lincoln Hgwy Bridge ONCE to Raymond Blvd, we now just take the PATH to Harrison or Newark.

Mathias - up to Rte 46, then down just to get to Newark.....

btw, the bike path and walkway were restored to the Witt-Penn Bridge replacement project after much letters and complaints from groups and individuals.

you all should bring your bikes to a city council meeting sometime. during the downtown traffic study, one council member said he could not understand why anyone would want to bicycle over the Witt-Penn.

Quote:

devbeep wrote:
Mathias:

I gave up trying the Rt. 7 and Lincoln Highway routes to get past the rivers to do rides around north jersey. Now I just take my bike on the PATH to Harrison or Newark (not that that's a lot of fun, but it takes away 20 minutes of what would otherwise be complete misery).

Posted on: 2008/6/27 23:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
crushthedemoniac wrote: Mathias, thats a hell of a bike ride. Have you ever done any other routes or anything in the city? I've always wanted to do something like that but a lack of bike, motivation, and free time is keepin me down.
It may look like a 25 mile ride is a long bike ride but it really isn't. I usually dont bother getting on the bike unless its more than 25. This is the ride I am doing tomorrow (but starting from Jersey City, I don't plot that on here because it's straight up to the bridge): There's quite a few people on this list that have expressed interest in putting in some miles, like riding to the GWB from Jersey City, going over it then down the Greenway to the Path station. Maybe one day we can all organize a ride.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Mathias, thats a hell of a bike ride. Have you ever done any other routes or anything in the city? I've always wanted to do something like that but a lack of bike, motivation, and free time is keepin me down.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 18:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/6/27 15:42
Group:
Registered Users
I'm visiting Newark from LA, and I did a little bit of riding with my folding bike this week. This area is actually really similar to LA in terms of the lack of other bicyclists, driver awareness of cyclists, etc.
Thanks for the route map Mathias! I think I'll ride from Newark to Jersey City next week.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
alb wrote:
Example: if a giant hurricane were coming, I'm sure I'm healthy enough to walk to Newark, if that would help, but I don't know how to get over the river.

Not to worry. Nowadays the weatherman can see a hurricane coming from miiiles away. Plenty of time to take the PATH.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 15:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/2 23:04
Group:
Banned
Quote:

groovlstk wrote:
Once when I was stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the Pulaski during rush hour I was stunned to find the reason for the backup was that a woman had lost a hubcap. She'd stopped her car in the right lane and by time I got abreast of her had found her dear hubcap and was walking casually back to her car. Some people are so stupid it's a wonder they are still alive.

My mother used to say "The things you see when you don't have a gun.........."

Also glad to know I'm not being paranoid about the Pulaski.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
devbeep wrote: Mathias: I gave up trying the Rt. 7 and Lincoln Highway routes to get past the rivers to do rides around north jersey. Now I just take my bike on the PATH to Harrison or Newark (not that that's a lot of fun, but it takes away 20 minutes of what would otherwise be complete misery).
I ride with a cycling club based in Newark. I hate taking the Path to our meet-up spot (Penn Station Newark). When I have time I ride there by first going North and crossing at rt 46. Here is the route: Compare that mileage to the two direct routes going over Lincoln Bridge or the Wittpenn: ........................ It would be great if that powers that be would seriously consider pedestrian and cyclists when they go about doing the major public works projects slated for the Hackensack and Passaic Rivers in the coming years.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 12:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Mathias wrote:
Ian did you mean to say the Pulaski? I rode route 7 (wittpenn bridge) several times in 2006 and bikes/peds were allowed.

The lack of a way for pedestrians to get out is also a problem for people who don't have cars and are trying to decide how to get out of the city in an emergency.

Example: if a giant hurricane were coming, I'm sure I'm healthy enough to walk to Newark, if that would help, but I don't know how to get over the river. At least it sounds as if it's theoretically possible to walk over the Witpenn.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 7:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

texanmovesnorth wrote:
Whoa. I hold my breathe and say a quick prayer when we cross the Skyway in our vehicle.

Good to hear I'm not the only one who is terrified of that bridge. It feels like it is about to crumble and if you get into an accident 4get about it. I ride bikes but riding it on the bridge would give me a heart attack. Just imagine what would happen if you got a flat tire crossing that bridge.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 5:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/5 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Mathias:

I gave up trying the Rt. 7 and Lincoln Highway routes to get past the rivers to do rides around north jersey. Now I just take my bike on the PATH to Harrison or Newark (not that that's a lot of fun, but it takes away 20 minutes of what would otherwise be complete misery).

Posted on: 2008/6/27 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
On another note. I was in a cab coming back from Newark Airport and we are traveling up Kennedy Boulevard, one of the worst streets for cycling and out of nowhere there is one of those big SHARE THE ROAD signs with a bike and car on it.

It is so random. Those signs are very effective when many of them are placed at intervals on routes traveled by many cyclists...9w for example. The randomness of this sign is as disturbing as all the bike route signs around town.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
No, you can cross the Whittpenn, but once you get down as far as the Northeast Corridor Tracks there are signs that say no pedestrians, I believe on both 7 and the JC-Newark Turnpike.

One pedestrian route out of JC would be by way of County Road, which has a sidewalk separated from the roadway with a guardrail, however, the rail yards next to county road do not maintain the sidewalk and the wilds of the meadowlands have basically grown over the sidewalk.

Route and the Turnpike don't have sidewalks, either.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Ian did you mean to say the Pulaski? I rode route 7 (wittpenn bridge) several times in 2006 and bikes/peds were allowed.

Have they put up signs recently? Maybe my complaining got them to ban bikes/peds rather than fix the mess.

The fact that there is no easy way West of Jersey City by bike is a real shame and hampers cycling in the area.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I for one am rather offended that its virtually impossible to leave Jersey City by foot. Not that you really would want to walk to someplace like say Newark, but there are no pedestrian signs all over route 7. Maybe this will change when we are all paying $19.47 a gallon.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 0:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Can't help but to crackup from this thread and the replies. I guess I just have too vivid an imagination and find it humourous yet incomprehensible that someone would actually do this but I have a dear dear friend who would do something crazy like this and I plan on giving him a call...

Posted on: 2008/6/26 23:51
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
It is virtually impossible for cyclists in Hudson County to cross the Hackensack and Passaic rivers. The closest semi-safe crossing happens just north of Hudson County in Ridgefield, NJ (Winant ave rt 46 the next one occurs a couple of miles North (Main Street Fort Lee).

It is illegal to cross the Hackensack and Passaic River via the Pulaski Skyway and I-78 by bicycle. It is however legal to cross via 1/9 Lincoln Ave Bridge (now named after the two officers who tragically lost their lives there) and Newark Ave-Belleville Turnpike (Wittpenn Bridge). Both bridges are supposed to have pedestrian walkways but they are littered with dangerous debris making them impassable even by foot. In addition the entrances to the walkways are overgrown with small trees and bended-in guard rails. Traffic patterns and road design make crossing extremely dangerous.

Here is a picture I took of the pedestrian/bikepath on the Wittpenn back when I was crazy enough to ride it:

Resized Image

On several occasions I have written to County officials about how dangerous these crossings are. It would be an improvement even if they just cleaned up the path and made access to it easier. They of course never respond.

The Wittpenn bridge is supposed to be replaced by a new structure. Construction is supposed to start by next year. Originally they were going to build a serious bikeway on the new bridge. It would have been a connection point for the East Coast Greenway.East Coast greenway. Last I heard they nixed that idea due to a slashed budget.

Posted on: 2008/6/26 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/3 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like a Darwin Award just waiting to happen in this thread...

Posted on: 2008/6/26 22:33

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017