Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Morton Williams Grocery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/22 21:37
From Carolina's Lavanderia
Group:
Registered Users
Everyone who has been begging for Whole Foods or Garden of Eden type grocery store, you should really check this place out.
Morton Williams rocks!!!!!! They have a really good ethnic foods section. My Korean neighbor claims they have all the specialty Korean stuff. The european food section is the best I?ve seen in the area. I?ve sent my Swedish friends there for ingredients. And I?ve found a lot of German yummies there to supplement my Grandmas recipes. Viennese coffee varieties like you?ve never seen. If you like gummy bears, you should try Katjes which they have there in tropical fruits, gummy euro coins and sour currants (called Saure Johannesb?ren). The French section has a lot of stuff too.
And I was making sushi at a home a few weeks ago and they have all the ingredients. Everything is super fresh, a little pricey but slightly less than whole foods. Excellent quality.

Oh and someone on JC List mentioned in another thread to make sure you feed the meter so you don't get towed or you can park in the garage for free if you spend more than $10 (parking stub validated at the registers).

Posted on: 2009/9/24 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Those inner city kids working the cash registers haven't had much exposure to fresh fruit or vegetables. Reminds me of the time I was stuck in Shop Rite Sunday Hell. I was in line behind these guys who had bought a bunch of produce. The guys would say, "that's spinach," and then the cashier would take forever looking up the key code.

"That's Boston lettuce.
Long Pause.
"Those are beets."
Extremely long pause.
"Try looking under B."

I really wanted to bang my head against the magazine rack at that point.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
I find that everyone at M&W is NICE enough but those cashiers are DUMMMMMMM!
They don't know lettuce from spinach, zucchini from cucumbers, lemons from limes, or bananas from plantains. Neither are they aware of which items sell by the POUND and which by the piece.

Now I identiify every item before she rings it up so we don't have to go through the "I NEED THE KEY" nonsense!

And many of the items are STILL unpriced on the shelves after, what, almost 4 weeks? There's NO excuse for that.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 19:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 16:15
Group:
Banned
Supermarkets are supplied by wholesale distributors. These distributors service many seemingly different supermarkets. Shoprite and Morton Williams are serviced by Wakefern. A&P, which has a stake in Pathmark and a number of other supermarkets including Foodtown, recently signed with C&S Wholesale Grocers, Inc. to provide products for both A&P and Pathmark (?Master?s Choice? and ?White Rose?).

The ?supermarket? started 75 years ago with King Cullen in Yonkers, NY. and the history of the growth and development of the modern supermarket is quite eye-opening. Especially given the current growth (and resulting impact) of the ?supermarket? sections of Wal-Mart, Target and the warehouses such as Costco on the now "traditional" concept of the supermarket.

Posted on: 2008/7/24 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't been back to Shop Rite since Morton's opened. I have no need to return. Morton's has everything that I need, and more, and the people are nice.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/22 9:03
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Loopy wrote:
If this the biggest disappointment you've had in JC in a long time, you must not get out much. And if you had bothered to read this thread, you'd know that M&W is not part of Shop-Rite and that the manager told taste that they "buy from the Shop-Rite warehouse," which is what I suggested in my first post--Shop-Rite is much larger and M&W may just piggyback on their private label products. And how much exactly is "much cheaper"? two cents, ten cents?

Morton Williams & Shop-Rite are both food cooperatives. The cooperative then contracts with different grocery store suppliers such as Wakeferen or White Rose. Most Morton Williams stores are under the Associated banner in NYC.

One other factoid, not all Shop-Rites have the same owner.

Posted on: 2008/7/20 23:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/26 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Dropped by. Nice asian selection. Way to clean and neat, due to newness. Me likes it.

Posted on: 2008/7/13 14:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/14 4:20
Group:
Registered Users
Finally got to Morton Williams this past Friday. Its newness shows primarily in its pricing inconsistency.

Imo, every large grocery store has good things about it and bad. No one store will satisfy all my wants and needs.

What I like about this store is, first, it's open and easy to navigate with a cart. Also,

- Great tea selection, pretty good coffee selection, decent prices on both

- Murray's and Bell & Evans chickens at reasonable prices. D'artagnan organic too, but priced at least $.50/lb. higher than A&P. They do carry frozen D'artagnan specialty items, like a whole organic rabbit, good to know.

- The fish is nice, but $1-2/lb. over A&P, which also has pretty nice fish. However, I did avail myself of a tilapia special at $2.99. It was frozen and thawing but too cheap to pass up. It was fine.

- They have an Asian aisle, which includes Japanese, Korean, Chinese and Pacific Island items, as well as an Indian section. The frozen aisles are broken down this way too. (We're so lucky here in JC!)

- A wide variety of specialty items, like condiments, European (French, German, Polish) mustards and choucroute-type items; Spanish and Italian tuna in cans and jars; other fancy preserved fish items. Also, what I thought was going to be about $20 worth of of Spanish saffron in a nice small square glass jar was $7.99!

- The produce is good, some is priced ok, some is through the roof. There is some organic too. You just have to check everything. And YES, right now those 99 cent blueberries are a steal. i bought three pints to make a pie -- $3.00 (plus crust and a little whatever) to make a pie?!

*** in-season tip: when an item like this goes very cheap in season, buy extra toward the end of the season and freeze them in large, double-zipper freezer bags. thawed blueberries work perfectly well for pancakes, pie, cake or jam...how nice to have flavorful blueberries in october!

My shopping companion asked why the cash register receipt said ShopRite and was told they buy from ShopRite's warehouse. Interesting. We both noted that it wasn't the place to buy regular grocery items; they're just too overpriced.

Posted on: 2008/7/13 13:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NNJR wrote:
where is the free parking garage?

The garage is on the street behind the market, you should see a large Morton Williams sign above the entrance, I think the street is called North Street.

Posted on: 2008/7/13 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
where is the free parking garage?

Posted on: 2008/7/13 1:12

Re: new grocer IS coming..
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCLAW wrote:

The parking is free w validation up to 2 hours. Also it is covered (on the first level of the parking garage) with a direct entrance into store so you don't have to get wet on a rainy day going to and from the car.

Yep parking is free as long as you spend a minimum of $10. and get your ticket validated. Also know that you must park in the garage right there next to Morton Williams.

I absolutely love the store.

Posted on: 2008/7/4 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
mendezia wrote:
The charged me for apple juice by the pound!!! We only realized when we got home that we had been charged $8 for apple juice.

I guess apple juice isn't in season yet.

Posted on: 2008/6/29 15:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
This place sucks. They sell marked up shop-rite brand stuff??? I tried handing the cashier person a plastic reusable bag I brought from home, and she looked completely puzzled. The charged me for apple juice by the pound!!! We only realized when we got home that we had been charged $8 for apple juice. This place has nothing on A&P

Posted on: 2008/6/29 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
... I also reused my Morton Williams grocery bags there.

Well that's all fine and dandy but when you want to take it to the next level....

Crochet a Shoulder Tote from your old plastic Grocery Bags

If your pantry's overrun with plastic grocery bags and you're feeling crafty, break out the crochet hooks and turn the bags into a tote bag like the one pictured. Split your bags into colors (like the red Target bags in one pile, white in another), and cut the bags into strips to make your "yarn," and hook away. I got to hold one of these in my hand, and what I'd normally write off as a cheesy craft turned out to be sturdy, stretchy, and actually quite a cute conversation starter.

Here's the whole bag:

Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com/Plastic%20Bag%20tote.html

http://lifehacker.com/372002/crochet- ... er-tote-from-grocery-bags

Posted on: 2008/6/28 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, I was just there. I am eating a strawberry donut that I got from Stony Hill Farm at the Paulus Hook Farmers Market. Yummy! I also reused my Morton Williams grocery bags there.

Posted on: 2008/6/28 18:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/26 16:29
Group:
Registered Users
They are also in Paulus Hook on Saturdays from 11 am - 4 pm!

Posted on: 2008/6/28 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
Cankicker, when folks in these forums use a certain 'tone' certain negative perceptions may come about. You know this. You wrote "so if you like Wegmans sooooooooo much shop till you drop". Instead of just typing the word so and using the term drop you for sure stated your opinion in a negative tone. I mean it's okay and all - this does occur in these types of chat boards and message boards - it is nothing new. But don't say that we did not pick up your overly negative tone, cause we all did. These boards are fun and entertaining and informative. I sure wish my company would have opened a store here instead of this Morton Williams - heck - it would save me commuting time and gas each day for sure! The seafood would be delivered fresh each day and it would not have that stale look that I saw the other night ( along with all of the other small transgressions which make this store a 'non-Wegmans'. And you would love a Wegmans here, Dude!!

"We all picked up on it" ??? I'm going to address you as the "Mayor" from now on since you now speak for everyone on this Board.....

Trust me, no negativity was conveyed, just yr mis-perception on my comments, thats ok, very difficult to convey a tone while posting a comment sometimes.

Nonetheless, not dumping on Wegmans,by any stretch of the Imagination,Heck bring them into JC as well, it could only help this city rather than hurt it .

Bottom line ,its all about preference and you really can't argue with that.

Enjoy Mr Mayor

CK

Posted on: 2008/6/26 15:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/7 2:57
From Pavonia Newport or Newport Pavonia
Group:
Registered Users
I am just thrilled that a grocery store is only a hop, skip, and jump away from our apartment. Not that the Shop Rite or A&P was so far...it was dragging that dang cart (transplanted Texan here) around and feeling foolish doing it.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
Cankicker, when folks in these forums use a certain 'tone' certain negative perceptions may come about. You know this. You wrote "so if you like Wegmans sooooooooo much shop till you drop". Instead of just typing the word so and using the term drop you for sure stated your opinion in a negative tone. I mean it's okay and all - this does occur in these types of chat boards and message boards - it is nothing new. But don't say that we did not pick up your overly negative tone, cause we all did. These boards are fun and entertaining and informative. I sure wish my company would have opened a store here instead of this Morton Williams - heck - it would save me commuting time and gas each day for sure! The seafood would be delivered fresh each day and it would not have that stale look that I saw the other night ( along with all of the other small transgressions which make this store a 'non-Wegmans'. And you would love a Wegmans here, Dude!!

Posted on: 2008/6/25 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:
If you love wegmans soooooooo much, than by all means go to yr nearest location and shop till you drop.

Morton williams is a breath of fresh air to DTJC and therefore be happy with what you have...

CK

Whoa! Chill, dude!! I'm just saying I like Wegman's and was asking Bill a question - no need to read any slight or insult into your beloved Morton Williams. I haven't even been there yet, but will probably drop in sometime in the next week or two. Am sure it'll be loads better than ShopRite...So untwist your knickers and quit snarling.

Dude

You need to re-read what I stated , I don't see where any snarling was conveyed in my comments ??? HUH ???

ck

Posted on: 2008/6/25 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
If you love wegmans soooooooo much, than by all means go to yr nearest location and shop till you drop.

Morton williams is a breath of fresh air to DTJC and therefore be happy with what you have...

CK

Whoa! Chill, dude!! I'm just saying I like Wegman's and was asking Bill a question - no need to read any slight or insult into your beloved Morton Williams. I haven't even been there yet, but will probably drop in sometime in the next week or two. Am sure it'll be loads better than ShopRite...So untwist your knickers and quit snarling.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Of course Wegmans does not stock every item that every person may need. Canned pumpkin would have to be purchased at A&P I suppose in this instance - Wegmans does go out of stock sometimes on some items ; late delivery, an error in ordering, etc. - good that we have such fantastic employee benefits though - members of the 'family' sometimes may make an error, but we still enjoy great job security and benefits. Wegmans brand products though are top notch - cheaper than the national brands and since most are made in Rochester ( at the corporate headquarters) the quality is way up there ( Wegmans corn flakes or Orange Juice or commercial breads vs. Shop-Rite). Morton Williams is a cute new store - clean and new and all, but not laid out well. Attention to detail is lacking ( messes and piles behind counters, storage areas, neatness, hand written signs, employees on the p.a.system mumbling ( we all carry pagers at Wegmans to spare the shopper from all that noise) - again, I'm used to 'the wegmans way' here!- lots of little details that really add up, and the fish looks like it has been sitting there for a few days - just like Shop-Rite. I had never been in one of these stores and was happy to go explore and thought that it would be closer to a Wegmans from the buzz that I've heard - that's all. It is an okay addition to that new area over there ( A smaller Wegmans would have been better and fitting into the lifestyle of the new residents and buildings there). Being a Wegmans employee I wish the same quality for all - it is disappointing to me for the folks that do not get out to the burbs to experience 'our' level of customer satisfaction. Perhaps Morton can (will) spiff it up a bit!
matchjames wrote:
http://www.globest.com/news/977_977/gsrnortheast/163440-1.html

more or less goodnews.. a Morton Williams (sometimes called ASSOCIATED) in NY isn't such a terrible thing, decent prepared food, wide selection, good produce. If IT'S successful, it's a good barometer for competition to come in and compete...[/quote]

Posted on: 2008/6/25 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CANKICKER wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
So, Bill, what are the chances that Wegman's will ever set up shop around here?? Or is that one of those fantasies that has about as much chance of happening as JC someday electing an honest and efficient city government? There's a Wegman's out near my parents' on Rt. 9 in Freehold or Manalapan (hard to tell in that part of Jersey where one town begins and another ends), and I just LOVE visiting that store everytime I'm out there. The place just totally rocks, and imho, beats Whole Foods any day of the week. We'd joke about the "Weekend at Weggies" whenever I visit my parents.

CK

At the risk of being slightly off-topic, I work right by a Wegmans in the burbs and have done my grocery shopping there more than a few times. While the prepared foods, deli counter, cheese selection, produce, etc are very nice, and Wegmans has a pretty good selection of international foods, I have found that their selection of grocery staples is actually rather limited. For many items they stock only their own brand, and if they don't make it you're out of luck. For example, for such a huge store I was really surprised they didn't carry canned pumpkin - which I happened to need ASAP one time to feed a sick dog.

So while it's a great store, I find that sometimes to get what I need I have to go to A&P.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
So, Bill, what are the chances that Wegman's will ever set up shop around here?? Or is that one of those fantasies that has about as much chance of happening as JC someday electing an honest and efficient city government? There's a Wegman's out near my parents' on Rt. 9 in Freehold or Manalapan (hard to tell in that part of Jersey where one town begins and another ends), and I just LOVE visiting that store everytime I'm out there. The place just totally rocks, and imho, beats Whole Foods any day of the week. We'd joke about the "Weekend at Weggies" whenever I visit my parents.

CK

Posted on: 2008/6/25 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users
none, and none. Simply not enough critical mass of the proper high end demographics... (see endless Whole Foods rants).

Posted on: 2008/6/25 12:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/6/25 11:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Oh - sorry - and I forgot . I wished to talk to the manager tonight and inquire as to why there are many Shop-Rite brand items on the shelves of Morton Williams ( which is run by Associated in Manhatten). It was 8pm and I was told that there was no manager - (s)he would be in tomorrow. The young lady I questioned had no idea of why Shop-Rite brand items are sold there ( corn flakes, canned goods, orange juice, etc.)

Posted on: 2008/6/25 3:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well - I went in tonight for a walk through. I'm Bill that works at Wegmans in Woodbridge - see my comments earlier in this post. Initially the store looks nice - new and clean and all - but what is with the large open spaces on the perishable side? The store could have certainly been laid out better! All that open wasted space. Perhaps they will tweak it in the weeks to come. Good cheese and produce selections - and neat signage - the large circular signs for each department. The bakery could be done a lot better - lots of pre-packaged vendor stuff brought in from the outside made up most of the bakery. The breads and cakes that are made there look nice. The fish looks just like Shop-Rite. How many days do they keep the fish there to sell ( again I'm used to fresh fish delivered each day ). Same with the meats, although better than the fish. The store is okay - certainly a good addition to the neighborhood, although I prefer my Hamilton Park.
Many items do not have price tags or prices on them - a no no for sure! The staff there wear jeans and sneakers and these funny dark red smocks. Again, I'm a Wegmans 'guy', so, yeah, I'm being picky here - can't help it. I gotta say, overall a disappointment. The store is good for grabbing some things from coming in from the Path from the city , sure. But this ain't no Wegmans I'm afraid.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 2:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/28 19:48
From Newport
Group:
Registered Users
I'm still trying to find some caviar, specifically salmon roe. Wandered around the various aisles of MW a few times but wasn't able to locate it.

Things would be set for me if they sell that...oh and some bottled birch root beer! (A&P doesn't have the birch variety)

Posted on: 2008/6/24 13:43

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/11 19:06
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
...but was lacking some obvious stuff, like mint leaves

They have mint! I bought some (but not all) of it Friday night. On the top shelf, far right in the big produce cooler on the far wall from the deli.

Posted on: 2008/6/24 13:01

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017