Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: All is not well for young Indian professionals - overheard conversations on the bus from Jersey
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Heights, you speak as if immigrants only take and have nothing to offer, nothing in the way of needed skills or talent. What if Einstein had never emigrated to the U.S.? What of all the brilliant minds and artists who have come here? The diversity is what makes this country so unique and amazing, despite all its faults. Yes, it would be great if a lot of basket-case countries fixed their problems so that their citizens didn't feel compelled to flee (they, too, suffer from a labor and brain drain - the Philippines, for example, suffer from a shortage of qualified nurses). Do you think people find it easy to uproot themselves from family and all that is familiar and come here because there's some great "giveaway" in the U.S.? They do so out of economic necessity (or desperation), because they can do some job Americans can't or won't do, whether it's laying bricks, caring for our sick or programming code. Do you think technological innovation and cutting-edge research at this country's universities is being done only by those born in this country? It's because the best minds in the world still want to come here that the U.S. still manages to stay ahead.

You speak as if your origins are firmly rooted here. Are you a Native American? Yes, the economy is bad and jobs are being lost, but it would be wrong to blame a particular group of people. Hitler tried that in the 30s. Lou Dobbs is trying it now. Wedge politics is always popular because it puts a face to your misfortunes and doesn't require you to think.

Posted on: 2008/6/24 12:15

Re: All is not well for young Indian professionals - overheard conversations on the bus from Jersey
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jeebus wrote:
What I said was that my parents communicate better in English than you do, judging from your writing. You are making an incorrect assumption in terms of them not communicating well in spoken English.

Furthermore, the last time I checked jobs in the U.S. are not "given away" but hiring is (optimally) based on the best person for the job. You ask "Where would the incentive or drive for advancement be if our own American born citizens keep getting passed up for employment opportunities." To that I answer that the competition will force "American born citizens" to get the skills necessary to compete and do so worldwide. What you are suggesting, nativist hiring practices, would only contribute to making "American born citizens" lazy and complacent, thereby destroying their incentive.

Well we (the U.S.) must be doing something right if everyone from other countries is coming here in droves. I wonder if the U.S. is keeping up on medical exams during the immigration process as they did in the early part of the 20th century. Most come here for permanent vacations or work visas. Sustaining the welfare and nourishment of growing populations is something of necessity. Allowing an influx of people who need to be trained in the language, medically cared for, and fed could cause drastic set backs for a country to maintain itself in the long run. If you look at world news the countries that immigrants are coming from is in disarray wouldn't it be better for their native homeland to stay and remedy the situation and build for a more prosperous competitive global economy that you speak of ?

Posted on: 2008/6/24 10:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
What I said was that my parents communicate better in English than you do, judging from your writing. You are making an incorrect assumption in terms of them not communicating well in spoken English.

Furthermore, the last time I checked jobs in the U.S. are not "given away" but hiring is (optimally) based on the best person for the job. You ask "Where would the incentive or drive for advancement be if our own American born citizens keep getting passed up for employment opportunities." To that I answer that the competition will force "American born citizens" to get the skills necessary to compete and do so worldwide. What you are suggesting, nativist hiring practices, would only contribute to making "American born citizens" lazy and complacent, thereby destroying their incentive.

Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Jeebus wrote:
My parents were born abroad and are now U.S. citizens. Why should they be discriminated against (other than not being able to be President)?

By contrast, ability to communicate in English is a legitimate job qualification. BTW, this is a skill that my parents have in excess of yours judging from your writing.
[snip]

Well then it's best for them to stick to writing, at least it will be easier for others to decipher what you're parents are trying to convey. I can't see the benefit in giving away American jobs to those that were not born in the United States over it's native born citizens. Where would the incentive or drive for advancement be if our own American born citizens keep getting passed up for employment opportunities. If that were the case then I might as well ignore my blood relatives and cater to strangers.

Posted on: 2008/6/24 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I thought the 'foreign' workers had contracts - If their employers are hit with money problems, then they shouldn't simply be allowed to 'dump' them.
Come to the land of 'milk and honey' but we'll shaft you when siht hits the fan and we don't give a rat's ass if you or family are inconvenienced !

Posted on: 2008/6/24 2:03
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jeebus wrote:
My parents were born abroad and are now U.S. citizens. Why should they be discriminated against (other than not being able to be President)?

By contrast, ability to communicate in English is a legitimate job qualification. BTW, this is a skill that my parents have in excess of yours judging from your writing.

Quote:

heights wrote:
First come first served, as foreign workers it should be expected that Americans get first preference for employment such as a candidate for the U.S. presidency. As for anything else the United States should give a native born citizen preferential treatment before any foreign-born individual. I'm still having trouble with trying to decipher foreign tongues speaking broken English (accents) in jobs that require verbal communication it tries and tires my patience.

Well then it's best for them to stick to writing, at least it will be easier for others to decipher what you're parents are trying to convey. I can't see the benefit in giving away American jobs to those that were not born in the United States over it's native born citizens. Where would the incentive or drive for advancement be if our own American born citizens keep getting passed up for employment opportunities. If that were the case then I might as well ignore my blood relatives and cater to strangers.

Posted on: 2008/6/24 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

heights wrote:
First come first served, as foreign workers it should be expected that Americans get first preference for employment such as a candidate for the U.S. presidency. As for anything else the United States should give a native born citizen preferential treatment before any foreign-born individual. I'm still having trouble with trying to decipher foreign tongues speaking broken English (accents) in jobs that require verbal communication it tries and tires my patience.

Posted on: 2008/6/24 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
If the IT company my wife works for is representative of the industry as a whole, it makes sense that a lot of Indians would lose their jobs as they occupy most of them.

I also heard from some CEO on CNBC that the main reason IT companies hire foreigners, is because there aren't enough Americans with the right skill set. He might have also mentioned the movie Idiocracy...

Posted on: 2008/6/24 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:
There are not enough Americans with education profile/level that these foreign nationals offer.

Then we should suffice and do without till we get our priorities in order. Maybe we can procreate more often or just settle working for less money.

"Do without" what, exactly?

Posted on: 2008/6/24 1:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/19 1:12
Group:
Registered Users
This is not new news. Check the forums on DICE, an IT job board and you will see many threads like this. tough times out there!! Especially for the IT field. I know a few HR managers in the IT realm(and work in the field myself). And many of them say they are "looking for IT people that have great communication skills." Unfortunately, i think many indians are being generalized as not having good communication skills and this is hurting them in the IT field.

Posted on: 2008/6/24 0:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 13:32
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting article. Coincidentally, I met a young Indian woman a few weeks ago who works for Lehman Brothers and is seriously asking to be transferred back to India. She said that the salary cut would be huge, but in relative terms, she felt an Indian position would offer more security, room for overall growth, and in cost of living terms, she'd still come out ahead in India... like as in her Lehman salary over there would cover a private driver, cook, housekeeper, etc. Now that says something when an Indian position seems safer and more logical! Our economy is officially in the crapper.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

RacerX wrote:
I'm sick of all of the indian men on the morning rush hour PATH trains wearing backbacks. They insist on wearing them and not taking them off.

The trains are already filled beyond capacity. If they took them off, they would be more room for other people, as well as themselves.

It must be some cultural thing. Most other people if they are wearing a backpack/computer bag, take it off when they get inside the car.

there's already another thread on jclist for people who choose to make sweeping generalizations about indians on the path... see the "path nemesis.. " thread

Posted on: 2008/6/23 19:42

Re: All is not well for young Indian professionals - overheard conversations on the bus from Jersey City
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/24 17:50
From Morgan Lighthouse
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sick of all of the indian men on the morning rush hour PATH trains wearing backbacks. They insist on wearing them and not taking them off.

The trains are already filled beyond capacity. If they took them off, they would be more room for other people, as well as themselves.

It must be some cultural thing. Most other people if they are wearing a backpack/computer bag, take it off when they get inside the car.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 19:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/14 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Who's blaming the foreigners? It's just simply the law that if you're on an H-1b visa and lose your job, you get sent home if you can't find a new job very quickly.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
Wow....Interesting Blog ????

Lets blame all the foreigners for the US economic problems and start the mass deportation process , or better yet,maybe internment camps will help get the economy back up and running?????

So many of you mis-guided Morons,can't see the big picture and that is , your president and Govn't reps have sold everyone out !

They allowed the banking industry to act like the Pigs they really are by selling morgatges to people they knew would never be able to pay the note and made billions doing so, and now that everything has gone bust, not withstanding the so called "Fuel Crisis" it's time to blame the imigrants ??

Huhm, sounds like something right out of Hitler's Book ????

Maybe GWB and his cronies, along with the oil speculaters are the ones who should be deported for allowing all of this to happen???

Time to open yr eyes up people and stop walking around Fat and Blind !

CK

Posted on: 2008/6/23 17:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/6 5:22
Group:
Registered Users
It's very unfortunate, but such is the reality of the economy. I can't imagine what it's like, to be in a foreign country and then be displaced/laid off like this. Best of luck to you all.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Christine16 wrote:
I wish that would happen to my neighbor. They aren't indian. They're French, which has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that they are on work visas and they suck! So deportation would be WONDERFUL!!! (I speak on behalf of my entire building). Sorry, just had to throw that in.

C'est la vie, mademoiselle

Posted on: 2008/6/23 17:31
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Re: All is not well for young Indian professionals - overheard conversations on the bus from Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:
There are not enough Americans with education profile/level that these foreign nationals offer.

Then we should suffice and do without till we get our priorities in order. Maybe we can procreate more often or just settle working for less money.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 17:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/8 18:57
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I wish that would happen to my neighbor. They aren't indian. They're French, which has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that they are on work visas and they suck! So deportation would be WONDERFUL!!! (I speak on behalf of my entire building). Sorry, just had to throw that in.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 17:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/14 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
I seriously doubt Indians are getting hit any harder than anyone else. It's a bloodbath in the financial industry. They get hit especially hard, though, since if they're on an work visa and don't immediately get a new job -- which they won't in this environment -- they get deported.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:

Posted on: 2008/6/23 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/6/23 16:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
It's unfortunate but this is going on across the board in America. I having worked in retail management in my previous life and have gotten a number of calls from friends and past colleagues of which several have been laid off. I know of 5 Mgrs in one particular Department Store who have gotten laid off in the past 2 months.
These individuals are of diverse backgrounds but well-paid and so I don't believe that the effects of the recession is limited to the Indian Community...

Posted on: 2008/6/23 15:09
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/8 18:57
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Is it that companies are laying off workers that are here on work visas? Securing the visas costs the companies money, so the cutting of costs could be 2 fold - not just the employee salary, but also all the paperwork in securing the visa.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
But the rest of the country is doing great? How is this isolated to the "young Indian professional"?

Its simply just a sign of the times. Young and old professionals alike are being laid off all over.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 14:38

All is not well for young Indian professionals - overheard conversations on the bus from Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Indian techies hit by US recession

Lalit K Jha
Freelance Journalist,
June,23 2008
New York

A friend of mine, this past week, called me on my cell to give me a bad news. "I lost my job," she told me. "What?" I asked. "Yes, the boss called me this morning to inform that the company no longer needs my services. Now I am without a job," she said.

Based in Edison, New Jersey, she works for a US multinational. Along with her, about half-a-dozen colleagues of her's were also laid off the same day. "There was no notice. There was no prior information. All of us were given a month's salary," she said.

For privacy reasons, I am not revealing her name in this column. About two weeks ago, her husband, coming from the same part of India where I am from, lost his job too from the IT company he was working with. A fortnight ago, her brother-in-law, a software professional was also fired. Seems like difficult days for her family!

But she is not the only one. Hundreds and thousands of people are being dropped from their jobs; it is the Indian Americans among the expatriate communities in this country, who seem to be the worst hit by this economic slowdown.

There are no official or unofficial figures available to back this argument, though. The companies, which are firing its employees, too would not reveal anything in this regard, even as I tried to get in touch with a few of them this past week for doing a story.

It is only through the network that I have developed as a reporter in my three-year stay in this country, which indicates that all is not well among the young professionals of the community. It must have been at least a dozen times in the past two weeks, that I would have overheard such conversations while travelling on the bus from Jersey City the Indian neighbourhood, in mid-town Manhattan.

While, some are on their way back to India, others are probably talking to their friends about their job loss and have begun their search for a new one. In the past one week, I have come across at least ten such cases of people being fired with all different kinds of stories, but the bottom line is that the American economy is not moving in the right direction and companies are fast reducing their work force.

And when it comes to narrowing the work force in the software sector, which has been a forte with Indians in this country, is considered to be first option. This is because, first leadership of these companies believes they can hold on development of new software and programs for some time or else they can get it done from India.

Two months ago, when another friend of mine called me up from Boston to inform that he has lost his job, I thought this was an isolated incident. He was lucky enough to get a new job after six weeks; but with less pay and perks. "At present, there is no other option," he said.

Earlier this month, another acquaintance of mine working with an IT giant in Cleveland, Ohio was told over the phone that he did not have to go to his office and was being laid off along with four others. They were given a fortnight's time to find a new job for themselves so that their H-1B visas could be transferred, or else the company asked to surrender them.

Two of them have returned to India since then, while the third one managed to get another job. The fourth has not got the job yet, but is still in this country as he has a Green Card. This software professional, in fact, did manage to get a job down South, but was laid off in less than a week; apparently the company got someone who can work in less than him.

In fact, this is another trend, which I could notice in all these instant firings, at least in the software sector. Majority of those, who have been laid off in my knowledge have experience of five to eight years and earn in the range of 80K to 100 K.

At a time, when every dollar counts, these companies prefer to fire a mid-level executive and replace them, if need be, with someone with lesser experience, who can work for say 50 K. This is how it is- all in Columbus' India.

(Lalit K Jha is based in New York and writes on Diaspora affairs. Reach him at lalitkjha@gmail.com)
http://origin.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/showcolumns.aspx

Posted on: 2008/6/23 14:18

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017