Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Councilman Steven Fulop - Jersey City Summer 2008 Update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmanny wrote:
Councilman Fulop,

How many petitions do you need signed to put your initiatives on the November ballot?

I don't think the author of the link below will be signing any time soon. http://www.hudsonreporter.com/site/pr ... id=524042&newsid=19795856

Posted on: 2008/6/24 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I hope the city also recognizes how bad Newark Avenue is -- it certainly is in need of resurfacing right away.

Has the city applied yet for grants to do Newark Avenue and is it scheduled to be paved soon?

I hope that when it happens, the new paving goes all the way to the Fire Station on Fourth and we don't just get a partial job of just the first few blocks near Grove Pointe and the PATH Station.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 13:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users
Just following up on the question regarding CC from this thread. The city received a grant for CC and it is scheduled to be paved this fall. It certainly is in need and we recognize it.

Hope that helps
Steve

Posted on: 2008/6/22 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PHResident wrote:
Steve,

At the last HPHA meeting, the Summer 2008 Street Paving list was made available.

Can you post that here please?

Posted on: 2008/6/20 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
good questions, Columbus has an approved redesign including median, bus pullovers etc.

two years ago, city engineers were lamenting delays during the downtown traffic study. the project is ready to go, pending administrative action and legislative approvals.....

time for an update.

Quote:

PHResident wrote:
Steve,

At the last HPHA meeting, the Summer 2008 Street Paving list was made available. I am happy to see that Grand, between Jersey and Marin will finally get paved. I do, though, wonder why Christopher Columbus is not on the list.

Columbus was touted by the city as the main artery to get traffic from the Turnpike to the waterfront. It is in such bad shape, however, that I think that people likely avoid it as much as possible. I know when we exit the turn pike, we get off of Columbus as soon as possible simply due to the condition of the roadway.

If people are indeed avoiding Columbus, that means they are driving on the smaller surface roads and into the residential neighborhoods. I cannot believe that this is faster, but it sure is less stress on a vehicle.

Any chance Columbus will be done sooner than later?

Posted on: 2008/6/20 0:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
I asked the head of Public Works the same question about Christopher Columbus last month and was told the holdup for repaving was due to the path train being directly below that roadway. He said they were only allowed to patch not replace the surface due to the possible consequences from vibrations from the milling machines. Makes no sense to me but that?s what he said.

That's are crock. The buses and trucks hitting the potholes sometimes cause vibrations I feel in my house on Wayne Street. I am close to Varick and felt not one vibration last year when they milled that street.

The belgian block road in LSP is smoother to drive on than CCD.

Quote:
...was told the holdup for repaving was due to the path train being directly below that roadway.

Since the path is not going away, should we assume this "holdup" is permanent?

C'MON, PAVE THE FREAKING STREET!

Posted on: 2008/6/19 22:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PHResident wrote:
I do, though, wonder why Christopher Columbus is not on the list.

Columbus was touted by the city as the main artery to get traffic from the Turnpike to the waterfront. It is in such bad shape, however, that I think that people likely avoid it as much as possible. I know when we exit the turn pike, we get off of Columbus as soon as possible simply due to the condition of the roadway.

If people are indeed avoiding Columbus, that means they are driving on the smaller surface roads and into the residential neighborhoods. I cannot believe that this is faster, but it sure is less stress on a vehicle.

I asked the head of Public Works the same question about Christopher Columbus last month and was told the holdup for repaving was due to the path train being directly below that roadway. He said they were only allowed to patch not replace the surface due to the possible consequences from vibrations from the milling machines. Makes no sense to me but that?s what he said.

Posted on: 2008/6/19 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Steve,

At the last HPHA meeting, the Summer 2008 Street Paving list was made available. I am happy to see that Grand, between Jersey and Marin will finally get paved. I do, though, wonder why Christopher Columbus is not on the list.

Posted on: 2008/6/19 12:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users
Mike
I do have info for you on this. Can you please send me an e-mail to fulops@jcnj.org. I will reach out to you this weekend and try to close the loop on this best we can.

The issue is zoning for the buildings that you mention without zoning for dixon mills. There seems to be legal issues here but we can go through them and figure out a resolution

Thanks
Steve

Posted on: 2008/6/19 9:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GoldieLocks wrote:
sorry to disappoint Tommy, i'm not Althea.

But did anyone see that Sawadee has outside seating. i wonder if Skinners and LITM could do that too? Even better, if the Fried Chicken got outdoor seating. I would love to see the thread about the noise if that happened.

regardless, Newark Ave is looking up

if you literally look up while on Newark you might see the deck on the roof at Skinners, yes, they have outdoor seating.

Posted on: 2008/6/16 20:36
utterly deplorable

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/6 6:33
Group:
Registered Users
sorry to disappoint Tommy, i'm not Althea.

But did anyone see that Sawadee has outside seating. i wonder if Skinners and LITM could do that too? Even better, if the Fried Chicken got outdoor seating. I would love to see the thread about the noise if that happened.

regardless, Newark Ave is looking up

Posted on: 2008/6/16 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Promising news here. The boot law NEEDS to be changed...it is outlandish

maybe a class action lawsuit would change their tune?

Posted on: 2008/6/16 15:57
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Councilman,
Any updates on getting Wayne St between Varick and Monmouth rezoned so the JC residents at 153, 155 and 157 Wayne street that are not residents of Dixon Mills can get permits for on street parking? We spoke about this many months ago and you mentioned it was on the agenda for an upcoming meeting.
Thank you

Posted on: 2008/6/16 15:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/15 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Councilman Fulop,

How many petitions do you need signed to put your initiatives on the November ballot?

Posted on: 2008/6/15 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Scottacus wrote: I believe Paulus Hook park is the one on the corner of Grand and Washington.

That's what I thought, too. http://paulushook.net/besquare/

I think Steve is talking about the playground at the Essex Street Light Rail Station. Do they have the same name?

Posted on: 2008/6/14 0:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
I believe Paulus Hook park is the one on the corner of Grand and Washington. There is an initiative under way to reclaim the part of the park that was taken for the trailers at the school on the corner.

Also unless this is a new screen name it probably isn't Althea (she has in the past posted under the name Althea).

In any case, all good news Steve and Althea, keep up the good work. I am also especially excited about the Newark Ave project.

Posted on: 2008/6/13 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Where is the Paulus Hook Park (Greene Street)? What is the cross street?

Posted on: 2008/6/13 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Steve and GoldieLocks (is that Althea?) :)

Promising news here. The boot law NEEDS to be changed...it is outlandish.

Looking forward to the possibility of a revitalized Newark Ave in the future...

Posted on: 2008/6/13 18:07

Councilman Steven Fulop - Jersey City Summer 2008 Update

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/6 6:33
Group:
Registered Users
Councilman Steven Fulop - Jersey City Summer 2008 Update

As we enter the summer, I will take this opportunity to update you on the work and progress made by our Council Office in Ward E.

Issues include Booting, Education, Parks, BetterJC, Lead, and Improvement Projects

Car Booting
Our downtown council office has proposed a change to the booting ordinance, at the request of numerous constituents. The punishment of booting on the first offense is excessive to our current residents both new and old alike. As it stands now, the policy for booting is grossly unfair and unfriendly to a district looking to welcome business clients and newcomers to our area. Moreover, if you are mistakenly booted and a court dismisses the charges, you are still responsible for paying the administrative fee, for a boot that you should never have received.

The ordinance we proposed was tabled in Council . However, this issue is far from dead. Our office will be working on a sub committee to amend the ordinance again over the next two weeks and are willing to take the issue to court on the legalities of this backdoor tax on residents and the violation of due process

Education
I remain a steadfast advocate for a strong educational system, both in choice and quality. On that note, I am thrilled to report that a resolution I sponsored, stating the City Council supports the granting of a charter for The Ethical Community Charter School (www.teccs.org), has been passed. This school will serve the entire Jersey City community and is slated to open in September of 2009 should it receive its charter from the State. With the resolution passing 7-1 in the City Council, I consider this a huge win for the families of Jersey City .

Read more here: http://www.nj.com/jjournal/stories/in ... 21074665511430.xml&coll=3

P.S. 16: There was a closed meeting of the working committee of P.S. 16 on June 2, 2008. This meeting was to assess where the school is at, and how we can meet our goals, both for the wider community and the school. This is a complex issue, with all parties working hard for a solution. However, I wanted to assure you that there will be no disruption to any grades for the next school year.

Parks
The renovation plan for Hamilton Park is out to bid this month with the goal of construction being completed by early 2009. At the same time, we have been successful at working with private developers to begin planning for renovations on the First Street Park and the Paulus Hook Park (Greene Street) in the nearterm to accomodate more playground space.

Finally, I have included an article from the Jersey Journal with regards to the funding in place and the movement on Veteran?s Park, which is located next to the Goldman Sachs building. This is a longer term project, but a unique opportunity for the city. We have started a group to coordinate efforts with the state, city and community to move this forward

http://www.nj.com/jjournal/stories/in ... 11178364104510.xml&coll=3

BetterJC Referendum
Our November ballot initiatives for stopping pay-to-play and double dipping salaries are rapidly gaining momentum across the City. We have picked up many volunteers and have surpassed 2,000 signatures. We will start to meet the first Wed of every month If you are interested in being a part of this process in improving Jersey City please come to our next meeting, Wednesday July 2, 2008 @ LITM on Newark Avenue. The meeting starts at 7 pm.

www.betterjc.org

Grove Street PATH/Plaza
The east side staircase is presently closed and demolition started last week. The projected completion of this work is the end of June. We have been working with the Newark Ave Special Improvement District (SID) regarding maintenance of the plaza and cleanliness. We think we should see significant progress in the near term, as well as better gum cleanup, replacement of broken stones, and plaza furniture.

Newark Ave Streetscape
Finally, as of now, we have in place plans and funding for construction to begin on the improved Newark Ave streetscape (pictures at www.stevenfulop.com). This should coincide with the redevelopment plan for Newark Ave, and new entertainment ordinance that I have been working on with my colleagues in the Council. Our goal is that we want to insure we maximize the potential for Newark Ave by stimulating a pedestrian friendly restaurant row. The good news is that the funding is finally in place and we are moving Newark Avenue forward with construction starting in the next few months for an improved streetscape.

Lead Ordinance
Our office is extremely proud of this legislation which will require all daycare providers to receive signed notificatin of parents of the dangers of lead poisoning in young children and the risks currently that an industrial city like Jersey City can present. The ordinance took effect May 13, 2008. This will go a long way to helping decrease lead level rates among the city's children which is always a concern in a city like ours. Through pushing for early detection there is the best opportunity to counter lead poisoning. You can read more about this here:

http://hudsonreporter.com/site/index. ... =461&dept_id=523584&rfi=8

Please let me know if you have any questions
Sincerely,
Councilman Steven Fulop

Posted on: 2008/6/13 16:47

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!