Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Re: Where are all the BJ shopping carts coming from?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
I am going to the HDSID meeting next week to voice my concern about all these shopping carts all over the district. I dropped by their new office yesterday and spoke with a woman there about this very problem. She said that a possible solution is to have JCIA, who regularly picks up these carts, tell BJ's they are going to destroy every cart they pick up rather then bring them back to BJ's, which IS what they normally do. Perhaps the threat of losing the carts permantly would be enough of a monitary incentive to fix this prob. I would love if a bunch of people would join me. The meeting is next tues at 10:30am at 125 Newark Ave. The meeting is open to the public. The board has local business owners on it and we could appeal directly to them, they want to clean up the area and renovate it. I believe the HDSID also deals with the neighborhood associations, maybe they can mediate and get them all on board. Sound like a plan?

JAAH

Posted on: 2008/6/12 15:31

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/21 16:54
Group:
Registered Users
TheVillage, I'd be happy to help, just name a time and place.
This could make for an interesting stunt. Can we get the Jersey Journal to take photos and print them in the paper?

jclxz, what planet do you live on?

elvis, Right on!

Posted on: 2008/6/12 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
I want what you are smoking.

And to answer your questions,

Are the carts really more offensive to see than the ugly construction all over?

yes the carts are more offensive. The construction is actually helping the town look nicer in the long run. Nicer buildings tend to do that.

Aren't you happy that at least one store "allows" people to take the carts?

ACtually, no. It sucks. I applaud the other stores for not allowing such a thing. If you were to read the thread, you would know this already.

Don't you think maybe you would be in a position one day to need one of the carts?

I am racking my brain thinking of why. If if I did, I would go buy one of my own instead of stealing it.

Any other completely useless questions will be answered in the order they are submitted.

Posted on: 2008/6/12 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
The BJ's carts are part of the charm of Jersey City. Get over it.

Are the carts really more offensive to see than the ugly construction all over?

Aren't you happy that at least one store "allows" people to take the carts?

Don't you think maybe you would be in a position one day to need one of the carts?

Posted on: 2008/6/12 14:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/29 17:50
Group:
Registered Users
The intent of this is purly driven to improve our neighborhood rather than perform services for BJ's for free.

I agree that they may have a truck collecting the carts but this approach has not worked in Downtown JC as we still see the same carts week in week out.

Posted on: 2008/6/12 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheVillage wrote:
Is anyone in favor of taking an hour out one evening or weekend to get together as a group and bring these carts back to BJ's. Have lets say 1 or 2 people on Brunswick and 9th, 1 or 2 at Brunswick and 8th (and so on), walk directly towards Marin Blvd. Any shopping carts we come across bring with us to BJ's. If we all do this together I am sure we would easily gather about 10 carts and drop them off at the store in Jersey. It would send a clear unified message to them that this issue is a sore point with the neighborhood.

Best possible results: BJ's will take notice of our concerns and address the issue more seriously.

Worst possible results: The carts may be off our streets for a few weeks at least.

Nice of you to perform this free service for BJs.

BJs had a truck in my neighborhood picking up the carts, they do this all the time or there would be no carts for their shoppers.

Posted on: 2008/6/12 13:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/29 17:50
Group:
Registered Users
Is anyone in favor of taking an hour out one evening or weekend to get together as a group and bring these carts back to BJ's. Have lets say 1 or 2 people on Brunswick and 9th, 1 or 2 at Brunswick and 8th (and so on), walk directly towards Marin Blvd. Any shopping carts we come across bring with us to BJ's. If we all do this together I am sure we would easily gather about 10 carts and drop them off at the store in Jersey. It would send a clear unified message to them that this issue is a sore point with the neighborhood.

Best possible results: BJ's will take notice of our concerns and address the issue more seriously.

Worst possible results: The carts may be off our streets for a few weeks at least.

Posted on: 2008/6/12 12:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/ ... _DATA/TITLE284/index.html

There are laws. Maybe if I walk my leashless dog around in a BJ's cart the cops will leave me alone?

Posted on: 2008/6/2 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I swear I could get the president on the phone easier than I could get this guy. I have been trying all morning with no luck. The last time I called I was on hold for god knows how long and he never picked up. I will not stop though so eventually I will have an update.

Posted on: 2008/6/2 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Elvis,
Just curious...how did your call to Tim Hebert (BJ's manager) go?

Jaah

Posted on: 2008/6/2 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just found a cart on my block with garbage in it, called BJ's and told them to come get it. Told them, once again, about their cart problem and asked why the don't have anti-theft wheel locks on them. Customer service rep said they did but they broke and have not been repaired. What exactly is broken is unclear to me but at least they acknowledged the did have them at one time. I then said there is a shoprite next to BJ's with the locks and I never see there carts around town, only BJ's, so the locks must work. Customer service rep agreed..amazing!!! So EVERYONE on JCList keep on BJ's about these damn shopping carts. Everytime you see one call BJ's and tell them to come get them.Tell them the carts are a huge problem in our neighborhhod and to PLEASE install the anti-theft wheel locks.

Thanks,
Jaah

Posted on: 2008/5/31 14:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/12 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
Forty seven replies so far and nobody's mentioned that the stray carts quickly turn into the garbage cans that are sorely needed downtown. When cart man dude retrieves them, he dumps all the trash on the ground before loading the cart onto his trailer.

Those radio-controlled anti-theft wheel locks that Shop-Rite uses do work. I took a gamble last week hoping the system would be out of commission by now and I lost. I then figured there has to be a easy way to reset the wheel so the employees can put the carts back in service but I didn't bother trying to figure it out and just moved my load to a BJ's cart and boogalooed.

Oh, and I brought the cart back when I was done with it. There were witnesses to this so bite me in advance. People like to make funny comments when you're pushing an empty shopping cart around the city.

Posted on: 2008/5/30 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elvis wrote:
Thanks for the info. I called to talk but was told by a Tom Wrider "BJ's Manager" that those electronic shop Rite Cart things dont work! Which was good to know considering I have never seen a Shop Rite cart outside of their lot ever! He also told me that is was all the JC residents fault and said that maybe I should mind my own business. This is where I got a tad defensive as he was attacking me. I said "I respectfully disagree. I have never seen a Shop Rite or Pathmark Cart out of their lot" To which he responded by telling me I was wrong. I was dealing with a real mensa man here. Bottom line, Tim Hebert is the man to talk to when you call, although he wont be in until Monday. You better believe they are getting a call Monday 9:30 am.

Nice job Elvis, WE all need to keep the heat on BJ's to force them to change!!

Posted on: 2008/5/30 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Everyone (especially elvis), I suggest that you both send a customer service email on BJ's web site at https://www.bjs.com/member/service/service.enter.display and call their customer service line at 800-BJS-CLUB to complain.

I have often found that when the local store manager is a real winner like the person elvis mentioned, that when enough people contact the central customer service department something gets done.

Posted on: 2008/5/30 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the info. I called to talk but was told by a Tom Wrider "BJ's Manager" that those electronic shop Rite Cart things dont work! Which was good to know considering I have never seen a Shop Rite cart outside of their lot ever! He also told me that is was all the JC residents fault and said that maybe I should mind my own business. This is where I got a tad defensive as he was attacking me. I said "I respectfully disagree. I have never seen a Shop Rite or Pathmark Cart out of their lot" To which he responded by telling me I was wrong. I was dealing with a real mensa man here. Bottom line, Tim Hebert is the man to talk to when you call, although he wont be in until Monday. You better believe they are getting a call Monday 9:30 am.

Posted on: 2008/5/30 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elvis wrote:
Seriously. BJs needs to get on it. You never see any Pathmark or Shop Rite carts. They have a responsibility to the neighborhood to keep those carts on site. Is there someone we can call?

Everytime I see a cart I call BJ's 201-798-0500 then dial#0 (customer service) and tell them where the cart is and to come pick it up. You can also call the JCIA inspectors line#
(201) 432-4645 ext.671 and they should come right out. We, the public have to keep the pressure on BJ's to show our displeasure and hopefully force them to change. They MUST inact a stronger anti-theft system.

Jaah

Posted on: 2008/5/30 17:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/28 8:43
Group:
Banned
wow. some of you need hobbies. take up sewing or someshit, or just buy a nintendo wii.

Posted on: 2008/5/30 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Am I the only one who never understood this particular "anti-theft" method? 25 cents seems like a bargain for a sturdy, wheeled cart!!

The system is in use all over Europe. Typically it's a euro deposit on a shopping cart. I don't think it was ever aimed at deterring theft, but to ensure that customers return the carts to their proper place so that the supermarket didn't have to hire someone to collect shopping carts. Yeah, the BJs carts all over town are an eyesore and lend JC that oh-so-ghetto look. The funny thing is residents of the high-end places are just as guilty of stealing carts as those in low-rent buildings. Just buy one of those granny pushcarts - they're actually easier to use than a shopping cart!

Posted on: 2008/5/30 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Seriously. BJs needs to get on it. You never see any Pathmark or Shop Rite carts. They have a responsibility to the neighborhood to keep those carts on site. Is there someone we can call?

Posted on: 2008/5/30 15:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 13:32
Group:
Registered Users
jaah37 wrote:
Quote:

I have also heard about a coin operated cart sytem where you put a quarter in a cart dispenser and it releases 1 cart to you. When you return the cart you get your quarter back.

Am I the only one who never understood this particular "anti-theft" method? 25 cents seems like a bargain for a sturdy, wheeled cart!!

Posted on: 2008/5/30 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Another spotting on the corner of Academy & Grey streets. It might have belonged to the guy selling newspapers. I was riding the bike and dodged it (tight squeeze). I would have said something but I had to get to work.

Posted on: 2008/5/30 14:50

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jaah37 wrote:
BTW, tried to send and e-mail to info@jcvillage.org twice and delivery failure was the result.Is the address still in existence? Does the Village Assoc. still function? Thanks

Sorry you had a problem with the e-mail. I tried it this morning and got a response. Try again.
The Village Neighborhood Association [info@jcvillage.org]

Posted on: 2008/5/30 13:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCase wrote:
Quote:
radryan03 wrote:
Blame your neighbors for the problem - people should know better than to take private property - the fact that BJs even has to do something about this is ridiculous!

Way to stay classy Jersey City.

Oh, poooor BJ's.

Because they are not protecting the carts with a wheel-lock system, BJ's is complicit in this problem. It's probably part of the their sales strategy to leave their carts unprotected. In an urban location many of their customers will come without cars. Unlike a supermarket most of BJ's sales are large bulk items. If they don't turn a blind eye to cart "theft", they'll lose a lot of customers and sales. Most of the carts are retrieved eventually and then liberated once again in a repeating cycle. If this system didn't work to BJ's economic advantage, they could have collaborated with Shoprite years ago when they installed a successful wheel-lock system.

BJ's is effectively using Jersey City as an extended parking lot for dumping its carts and the City is putting up with it. Individuals should be fined for taking the carts onto the city streets, but the City should find a way to fine BJ's (or any store without a theft-prevention system) for all their carts blighting the landscape. The way to stay classy, Jersey City, is to clean up your shit.

While I agree with your opinion about people who take carts should be fined and that JC needs to do more to make Bj's install an anti-theft system, I don't agree with your thoughts on the so-called repeating cycle and the fact BJ's is OK with it because if they weren't they would lose alot of customers. Any thoughts on how we can bring this cart issue into awareness to the public and force BJ's to install more ant-theft detterents?

Posted on: 2008/5/30 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
radryan03 wrote:
Blame your neighbors for the problem - people should know better than to take private property - the fact that BJs even has to do something about this is ridiculous!

Oh, poooor BJ's.

Because they are not protecting the carts with a wheel-lock system, BJ's is complicit in this problem. It's probably part of the their sales strategy to leave their carts unprotected. In an urban location many of their customers will come without cars. Unlike a supermarket most of BJ's sales are large bulk items. If they don't turn a blind eye to cart "theft", they'll lose a lot of customers and sales. Most of the carts are retrieved eventually and then liberated once again in a repeating cycle. If this system didn't work to BJ's economic advantage, they could have collaborated with Shoprite years ago when they installed a successful wheel-lock system.

BJ's is effectively using Jersey City as an extended parking lot for dumping its carts and the City is putting up with it. Individuals should be fined for taking the carts onto the city streets, but the City should find a way to fine BJ's (or any store without a theft-prevention system) for all their carts blighting the landscape. The way to stay classy, Jersey City, is to clean up your shit.

Posted on: 2008/5/30 0:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/18 15:05
From John Wilkes Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

erie wrote:
On Monday, I saw a woman pushing a BJs cart into Grove Pointe. Unbelievable.

Yeah, I'm surprised the building didn't fall down!

Posted on: 2008/5/29 22:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/20 22:06
From downtown jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
On Monday, I saw a woman pushing a BJs cart into Grove Pointe. Unbelievable.

Posted on: 2008/5/29 22:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
BTW, tried to send and e-mail to info@jcvillage.org twice and delivery failure was the result.Is the address still in existence? Does the Village Assoc. still function? Thanks

Posted on: 2008/5/29 22:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
BJs hires someone to go looking for their carts on a regular basis - I have seen the truck in the Hamilton Park neighborhood. It usually has a TON of carts on the truck.

People stealing carts should be addressed by JC. Fines should be issued to people caught with a cart off BJ's property,and if necessary, arrests for repeat hardheaded offenders. But, in all fairness, BJ's needs to install a stronger deterrent sytem to keep these carts on their lot. Anti-theft locking weels and barriers around the lot should be used to keep the carts in. I have also heard about a coin operated cart sytem where you put a quarter in a cart dispenser and it releases 1 cart to you. When you return the cart you get your quarter back. All shopping carts should be locked up at night!

Posted on: 2008/5/29 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
BJs hires someone to go looking for their carts on a regular basis - I have seen the truck in the Hamilton Park neighborhood. It usually has a TON of carts on the truck.

Posted on: 2008/5/29 20:59

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jaah37 wrote:
I call BJ's and tell them everytime I see a cart on the street to come pick it up. If alot of us did that we could keep the pressure on themand keep them honest with their cart pick-ups. I live on 4th and Monmouth, the Italian Village area, I think it's called. If we had a strong resident association I'd say we go to our local meeting and address it there. Since it is a problem with a few areas of JC getting each areas resident association on board would be a start. Or as I said, maybe bringing the issue up to Councilman Fulop could work. He could probably help formulate a plan to combat this at least.

Jaah

There is an association, it's the Village Neighborhood Association and you can email concerns to info@jcvillage.org. Although this is a quality of life issue and can be brought up at the Association meetings to get everyone on board, ultimately it's the residents who have to keep on the lookout and make the calls.

Posted on: 2008/5/29 20:16

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017