Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
167 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 167

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Majestic II - What do You Want Sign?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Why can' we have the Luxury condos AND the taco bell? WIN - WIN!

Posted on: 2008/5/28 0:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/14 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Absolutely no contest. I want the Taco Bell. The other choices don't come close.

Posted on: 2008/5/27 23:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Justiceiro wrote:
We are supposed to live on some sort of reservation, I suppose, and dress up like gangbangers and pretend to mug each other when busloads of tourists arrive. Shows at 9 and 11. Be sure to pick up some hand made sneakers and traditional tribal spinning rims at the rez shop.

Thanks in advance.

I'm gonna buy a Cadillac Escallade and pimp it out with huge speakers so Crushthedemonic can hear it from wherever he lives

Posted on: 2008/5/27 21:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/11 12:35
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
We are supposed to live on some sort of reservation, I suppose, and dress up like gangbangers and pretend to mug each other when busloads of tourists arrive. Shows at 9 and 11. Be sure to pick up some hand made sneakers and traditional tribal spinning rims at the rez shop.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2008/5/26 13:43
"Contemplate this upon the Tree of Woe."

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/9 19:59
Group:
Registered Users
I guess I'm with Justiceiro on this one. I also live downtown & I also encourage development that will continue to make this area safer and resident friendly.

Maybe there will always be a disconnect between old school JC & new school JC but in the end I would think that ultimately we'd both want what's best for JC? And empty lots (and a Taco Bell??) does not equal something that is better for JC.

Why is it so terrible that this city is being transformed into a safer environment? Do you guys really miss being afraid of walking down the street? I didn't grow up in JC but I did grow up about 5 miles away and honestly if you had told me years ago that I'd move to JC buy a place & fall in love with this city, I would have told you that you were insane. But I did and I do.

And for all of the belly-aching about Pilates & Yoga studios to each his own. I happen to like both & I don't think less of anyone that doesn't.

And Brewster has an excellent point by the way: WE did not create the JC you claim to not like. Your old school JC cronies lined their pockets with developer money. So you should complain to them about the glory days that you miss so much.

Posted on: 2008/5/24 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Do we need another Majestic across from the first Majestic? Hey, if it works for Starbucks. What do I know.

Posted on: 2008/5/24 15:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/11 12:35
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Hey Nafco FYI I dont live in JC anymore, and havnt for quite sometime, just kinda sad to see it being tunred into another "cut out" generic gentrified city(well just downtown). So if this place opens retail space and say a few bars open up, what do you think these bars will caiter to? Chances are it will be some wine and cheese bars or something of that nature. My appoligize for not liking that kinda stuff. I forgot it was wrong to have an opinion.

Well, I do live in JC, in fact exactly across the street from this place. So thanks, out of towner, but your pompous clinging to some sort of faux high mindedness by inflicting an eyesore of an empty lot upon me, an actual Jersey City resident, on a daily basis, marks you out as quite the s$#tbird.

Posted on: 2008/5/24 5:10
"Contemplate this upon the Tree of Woe."

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com

Quote:

Scottacus wrote:
Quote:

Minnie wrote:
I don't mean to change the subject, but I was in Basic the other day and picked up a free copy of a little booklet called "NEW" and it says "Living on the other side of the hudson". Of course it's got all the latest places to go and eat, exercise, live, etc, etc.... Now the funny part is that somebody wrote on the front cover of the little booklet in black marker and it reads... "crap for white people to do". Well, it is somebody's opinion on these things... but I got a few snickers out of it.

Oh, and back to the main topic of this thread...... I cast my vote for a taco bell!

At the risk of continuing a slightly off-topic subject, I think the name "Crap for White People to Do" is awesome and that NEW should change its name to that immediately.

(As long as that includes white people giving directions, that is.)

Posted on: 2008/5/24 3:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Minnie wrote:
I don't mean to change the subject, but I was in Basic the other day and picked up a free copy of a little booklet called "NEW" and it says "Living on the other side of the hudson". Of course it's got all the latest places to go and eat, exercise, live, etc, etc.... Now the funny part is that somebody wrote on the front cover of the little booklet in black marker and it reads... "crap for white people to do". Well, it is somebody's opinion on these things... but I got a few snickers out of it.

Oh, and back to the main topic of this thread...... I cast my vote for a taco bell!

At the risk of continuing a slightly off-topic subject, I think the name "Crap for White People to Do" is awesome and that NEW should change its name to that immediately.

(As long as that includes white people giving directions, that is.)

Posted on: 2008/5/24 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/5/24 0:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Tommyc dont blow a fuse. I think I just fell outt my seat 6 times trying to read your last post. I dont know what your getting at? Do you think by calling a place ghetto its offending me? Im not even remotly P.C. ,I dont care in the slightest. I honestly dont know how to respond to your post because it dosnt make sense to me.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Being that I live in downtown Jersey City and therefore have a stake in what gets built I'll take "Option A: Generic Yuppie BS" anyday.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
crushthedemoniac,

What is "generic yuppie BS" ? Would it be politically correct for me to say that it's better than the "generic ghetto BS" that currently lines Newark Ave, i.e. 99 Cent stores?

Is it politically correct for me to say "generic ghetto BS" ? I guess it's just as politically correct as saying "generic yuppie BS", now, isn't it?

I'm no mathmetician, but in my humble opinion, "generic yuppie BS" is greater or equal than "generic ghetto BS".

So...here are our options for the site across from city hall on Grove Street, according to crushthedemoniac:

Option A: Generic Yuppie BS
Option B: Generic Ghetto BS
Option C: Vacant Carpet Store

JClisters, which option would you choose?

Posted on: 2008/5/23 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

It is hard to believe we are now making Curbed (is that a good thing?) They are very NYCentrist.

Funny sign - clearly the creators are also JCLIST readers and/or posters.

If you go to Curbed you can even VOTE for a Nail Salon or a 99 Cent Store:

Click for Curbed

Excerpt from Curbed:

"How to Campaign for a Zoning Change, Or Not

There are three big problems with developer Exeter Property Company's strategy for trying to convince the locals in downtown Jersey City that this lot just across from City Hall should be turned into a new residential building: 1) Taco Bell is delicious. 2) A giant nail salon is as Jersey as apple pie is American. 3) Everyone loves a bargain. This sign, spotted by our friends at StreetEasy (now w/ Jersey listings!), urges JCers to expend valuable finger energy by texting, but wouldn't they rather just click? Let's find out!"

So far Taco bell is way out in front - better look out Taqueria and Lucinda's Taco Truck.

Click here for voter results.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
When did I ever say it was a shithole? The way I remember it was yea it had alot of crime but at the same time I didnt see a ton of generic yuppie bs everywhere. My appologize 07310 that I dont like that kinda crap and Id rather see a taco bell or a family owned bodega as oppsosed to a pilaties gym or a million dollar luxury condo. Sorry that I think it takes the city feel out of the city. I mean hey I think its great that downtown got the whole financial district and its been getting fixed up, but at this rate all its gonna be is another hoboken in a few years. PS Hoboken used to be cool so all the people that are gonna jump on me for that , dont.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Hey Nafco FYI I dont live in JC anymore, and havnt for quite sometime, just kinda sad to see it being tunred into another "cut out" generic gentrified city(well just downtown). So if this place opens retail space and say a few bars open up, what do you think these bars will caiter to? Chances are it will be some wine and cheese bars or something of that nature. My appoligize for not liking that kinda stuff. I forgot it was wrong to have an opinion.

Nice attitude, you left JC and it bothers you that the place you left is improving instead of staying a sh*t hole you remember.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Hahaha tommyyc your a funny dude, everybody likes a burrito for a buck even if it does give you diareah 8 outta 10 times. Do you take a girl out tehre on a date? No of course not, you bring her to a classy joint. But on any normal day taco bell will suffice.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:

But, actually, I wouldn't mind a rat-free Taco Bell,

As though that is a real thing.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
forget Toxic Hell, give me a Wendy's there!

Posted on: 2008/5/23 17:24
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
In a perfect world, they'd make that site the new home for Garden Preschool Cooperative. (It used to be across the street in the church that got sold for another development.)

But, actually, I wouldn't mind a rat-free Taco Bell, or a decent McDonald's.

On the other hand, if some company is going to build Luxury Condo Building 9,437,663 downtown, I guess it might as well be a reasonably nice company like Exeter.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
crushthedemoniac, if you like Taco bell, then you truly have no idea what good food is.

We can't always eat at Michelin rated establishments right Tommy?

Posted on: 2008/5/23 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I guess what I just don't understand is the mentality that "if it's not a store *I* want, I would rather see the land be vacant so that so one can benefit from it." By this logic, if you don't have a dog no one should be allowed to open a pet store.

I have no idea what will open up at Majestic II. For all I know it might be a yoga studio or something like that. I don't do yoga, but it would be ridiculous for me to say that because I'm not into yoga I would rather see the land stay vacant than turn into a yoga studio. That kind of attitude verges on spiteful.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2008/5/23 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Scottacus, I will answer your question since i believe the last half was directed towards me. The reasonI would rather see it an empty lot or even a taco bell (which would rule) is because what are some overpriced luxury condos gonna do for me? Am I supposed to be excited that some "fabulous" crap that only rich yuppies or some trust fund kid can afford is being built? Call me when theres some affordable housing or some worth while retail store going up. And no im not angry cause im poor or cant afford housing .

thats just dumb. if you want to live in a transitioning city, then dont complain when what happens naturally with more housing and retail opens next door to you. it happens in every major city. yes manhattan and bk too. go live in the burbs if you want a stupid cut out taco bell. this new retail may actually provide some stores and bars that arent available anywhere else which would be nice. and god forbid more people move in to a city. who would've figured.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
crushthedemoniac, if you like Taco bell, then you truly have no idea what good food is.

What can luxury condos and nice retail do for you? Gee...clean up the neighborhood, make it more visually appealing, condusive to pedestrians, make it safer...I can go on and on.

If you want scrounginess and seediness, you can find that in many other parts of JC.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Scottacus, I will answer your question since i believe the last half was directed towards me. The reasonI would rather see it an empty lot or even a taco bell (which would rule) is because what are some overpriced luxury condos gonna do for me? Am I supposed to be excited that some "fabulous" crap that only rich yuppies or some trust fund kid can afford is being built? Call me when theres some affordable housing or some worth while retail store going up. And no im not angry cause im poor or cant afford housing .

Posted on: 2008/5/23 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Odd attempt at humor aside, Exeter is probably the best developer for this property, as all of their other developments have been a net positive for JC.

Considering Grove is turning into the main shopping and dining street in JC (since the stupid "restaurant row" program on Newark actually made it harder to open a restaurant/bar there at first), a nice retail building with condos above will be a good addition to the street.

I guess I just don't understand why some people would rather see a vacant lot than (God forbid) more housing? What's so bad about adding what is probably 50-75 condos to the area?

Posted on: 2008/5/23 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/3 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
I would love a taco bell...that would give me an alternative to Taqueria.

+1
Then I wouldn't have to worry about getting a smug attitude every time I order a taco.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
im just glad walgreens didnt happen. thats all that area needs is another damn parking lot.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Since it's across the street from City Hall - it should be at least a 40-story high rise with no set backs, make sure the first 9 floors are parking garage - lit 24-hours a day - and the parking garage is for tenants only. It's a perfext location for density - only a few blocks from the Grove Street Sta. The city council can complain that they are in permanent shadow.

NIMBY that!

Posted on: 2008/5/23 0:24

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017